• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Art of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (spoilers)

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The nearly 4 years of 3DS experience between Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D had a huge effect on the environments. I remember some much uglier and even some horribly compressed textures in the former.

MM3D is beautiful, just, damn...

MAzvtLQ.jpg

Nia

Hot damn, these are amazing. I want to make some myself. These kinds of shots would be great for the Majora's Mask blog me and my friend run. How did you keep your hand steady while doing this? Any other tips you can give would be great.

It really is a gorgeous remake. They clearly took more liberty than they did with OOT and it pays off with interest. Thank you for these shots, just beautiful.

Hot damn, these are amazing. I want to make some myself. These kinds of shots would be great for the Majora's Mask blog me and my friend run. How did you keep your hand steady while doing this? Any other tips you can give would be great.

The picture taking isn't difficult, just time-consuming due to miiverse being slow. If you homebrew or use a capture card this could be a million times faster but I'm not that technically savvy.

1) Turn gyro off in the title screen. This is crucial... I am studying to become a surgeon and I find the gyro frustrating lol
2) Slow down time to make sure lighting doesn't change
3) Pick your spot and don't move
4) Use the pictograph box to line up the shot (it has a sight that appears briefly): if you're doing a horizontal panoramic start from the left, if you're doing a vertical start from the bottom.
5) Press A to take a shot through the picto-box, which will make the HUD disappear. This is of course a game feature, will not work for other games.
6) Quickly press home and save it, then return to game
7) Now say "NO" when the the game asks if you want to save the picture in the picto-box: if you say YES you will lose your placement
8) Move the camera carefully right/up making sure 25-50% of the shot overlaps with the previous shot.
9) Repeat.

The hard part is using photoshop to meld them together. I majored in digital art so it doesn't take me more than 5 minutes to do a simple vertical or horizontal, but it may be frustrating to some

1) Use the perspective transform and warp tools to line up the shots
2) Use a faded eraser to delete the sharp lines between pictures

The more experience in photoshop you have the less shots you require. Otherwise the more you have the better, as you may not even need to use the perspective tool

Done

But thats probably the impression given due to technical limitations 😕
Is there official art of the Moon? Maybe they based it on that

the moon's face was one of the last minute changes, there's no art that i know of the original n64 game where the moon's face is present. In my opinion the moon's face preference is completely based on opinion. I like both,in the way that i think they did a great job updating it with the visuals, while the original fits great with the n64 graphics but wouldn't with the enhanced visuals of the 3ds

Nia

The picture taking isn't difficult, just time-consuming due to miiverse being slow. If you homebrew or use a capture card this could be a million times faster but I'm not that technically savvy.

Thank you very much for the swift response. This is going to be fun. I did have a 3DS capture card, up until my brother stole it. I will do this the slow way. The results will be worth it. Thank you again.

Anth0ny

Yeah that's what i like about the original moon. It doesn't look like it has a purpose or intelligence. Also, the stare is completely lifeless, which makes it even creepier and kinda make sense. A moon is supposedly a celestial object orbiting around the planet for billions of years. It's just a huge rock that some other intelligence caused it to crash onto Termina. It doesn't care. It's not a person. It's just possessed.

The new Moon looks like a character with purpose and intelligence of it's own. Doesn't look like a mindless possessed thing. Also it's face gives me a "boooo, im gonna get you if you don't eat your launch" kind of vibe. It also reminds me of Freddy Kruger a bit, which doesn't help because he always was a somewhat comedic character and not as serious as other horror villains. But most importantly, it doesn't look like a spherical celestial object which is the whole point of a moon? It looks like a giant face of some guy who suffered some burns.

Now look at this:

See how it doesn't even look directly at the ground below you. It has a completely lifeless expression, divide of any emotion and it's eyes are directed to the beyond or something. It looks like something that is driven by an unknown force, thus it can't be reasoned or hear your screams and pleas and you know it won't stop until you find the source of that force, which is the whole point of the game.

Great post. N64 moon fo lyfe.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I Miiversed MM a lot. Check out my Miiverse profile people (ZAMtendo), MM is full of art!

Nerrel

But thats probably the impression given due to technical limitations ��
Is there official art of the Moon? Maybe they based it on that

I don't think so. They originally weren't going to have a face on the moon at all and only added it in later, so it was never present in the concept art that I've seen.

I like both moons, but I do agree that the N64's subtlety does lend it a creepier vibe. You can't ever really place what emotion the face is expressing, which makes it all the more disturbing. Is it anger? Fear? Sadness? At times, it looks like all 3 at once. The 3D moon is simply furiously angry. It's still disturbing, but it's also pretty goofy looking from many angles. That said, the original moon is polygonal and dated as hell, so it's hard to know which looks best overall.

Edit: I actually did find a few examples:

Early sketch of the face:

This one seems pretty final:

For reference, the moon looked like this in the earlier art:
zeldamask_conceptart_O5j8J.jpg

Wow those sketches look so cool. A lot of symbolism there... but then again MM did end up containing a lot of symbolic elements. So much so that there have been extensive articles written on small details I would have never picked up on... and elements that have sparked some rather interesting theories haha

Ein Bear

I would loved to have been a fly on the wall when they were first discussion Majora's Mask. I just really want to hear the conversation that ended with them all nodding and saying "Yeah, let's make this new Zelda utterly fucked up.

Nia

This is definitely more challenging than I thought, but I think I have a grasp on it. I'm going to keep making some so I can improve more and more. I will post one when I'm comfortable with it.

This is definitely more challenging than I thought, but I think I have a grasp on it. I'm going to keep making some so I can improve more and more. I will post one when I'm comfortable with it.

My first one was tough too. Eventually it becomes second nature :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wow, those screens look amazing.

Did Nintendo give Grezzo a bigger budget on this one than OoT? Cause it looks like a pretty big jump.

-shadow-

Holy hell!? Those screenshots are absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait for that emulator to be fully operational at higher resolution. I want these as my background!

Wow, those screens look amazing.

Did Nintendo give Grezzo a bigger budget on this one than OoT? Cause it looks like a pretty big jump.
It is about the same kind of jump as the original games, really. There's just more variety in MM and that's what mostly makes the difference.

Top Bottom