• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watevaman

Thought I'd share this here.

My cousin Dan Savage revealed his 2012 Sikky drift car:

582776_3717811221916_uvxo7.jpg

575202_3717785501273_odyhj.jpg

I think it looks pretty awesome.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake!!!

The more powerful of the two is a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 making 340 horsepower or 380 hp, depending on the configuration. The all-aluminum V6 is derived from Jaguar's 5.0-liter V8 and it features quad cams, direct injection and a Roots-type twin vortex supercharger with a water-cooled intercooler. The 3.0-liter boasts a 10.5:1 compression ratio, up significantly from the 9.5:1 ratio of the supercharged 5.0-liter.

Jaguar also notes in its press release that the 380-horsepower version of the supercharged 3.0-liter will rest under the hood of a high-output variant of the upcoming F-Type roadster (pictured above) when it arrives sometime in 2013.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/22/jaguar-announces-new-supercharged-v6-and-turbo-four-cylinder/

Yesssss. 380HP F-Type fapfapfapfap

EDIT:

The V6 powertrain will be completed by a Jaguar-tuned ZF eight-speed automatic transmission. This transmission's large spread of ratios allows the engine's prodigious power to be fully exploited while optimizing economy and emissions.

No mention of a manual... grrr....

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
AlphaSnake!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/22/jaguar-announces-new-supercharged-v6-and-turbo-four-cylinder/

Yesssss. 380HP F-Type fapfapfapfap

EDIT:

No mention of a manual... grrr....

I know, man! I know! I came here to post this. I'm happy with that power and the torque. I know there will be room for some more with just a tune. I'm relatively certain this WILL be my next car.

Let us rejoice.

I figured it wouldn't come in stick, it's a Jag after all. I'm not surprised. It's not a deal breaker for me.

reilo

I know, man! I know! I came here to post this. I'm happy with that power and the torque. I know there will be room for some more with just a tune. I'm relatively certain this WILL be my next car.

Let us rejoice.

I figured it wouldn't come in stick, it's a Jag after all. I'm not surprised. It's not a deal breaker for me.

Thankfully that idiotic electric powertrain didn't make it from the concept. But no manual?

Considering the XKR-S Coupe doesn't even come in a manual, bah :(

Alpha how do you like the pilot super sports? Just got mine put on yesterday. Lot less road noise than the rs-3, and seems to handle just as well from the few miles I have put on them.

6906269592_17773f497a_c.jpg

Huh look at that another GTI owner. Love the color, I have a 2011 Tornado Red

AlphaSnake

Thankfully that idiotic electric powertrain didn't make it from the concept. But no manual?

Considering the XKR-S Coupe doesn't even come in a manual, bah :(

Yeah, I'm not mad. It'll likely be an 8-speed auto so it'll be fuel efficient regardless.

reilo

Yeah, I'm not mad. It'll likely be an 8-speed auto so it'll be fuel efficient regardless.

I read somewhere today that it's confirmed to be an 8 speed. I'm still so eager to see how much it weighs though, I doubt they'll forgo much of the luxury attributes.

It's confirmed to be to be an 8-speed ZF from the XF in the press release.

The transmission is also used in basically all Audis and BMWs.

Wubby

I saw what is probably one of the first customer owned BRZ's in my city on the street today. Really great looking in person. Can't wait to get one.

It's confirmed to be to be an 8-speed ZF from the XF in the press release.

The transmission is also used in basically all Audis and BMWs.

They generally have varying torque converter models/specs though, which heavily affect the feel and performance of the drive.

It's a solid product (the 8HP trans), so should gel well.

N-Bomb

Okay, so my swap should include those huge Brembos, but I'm considering swapping those for the smaller 4pot/2pot brakes. Opinions?

-Brembos will require 17" minimum wheels, less wheel choice.
-4pot/2pot will let me do 16" wheels, more varieties of wheel to choose from.

Not sure about weight difference, but actual braking performance shouldn't be less.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Yeah, the Camaro is a good example of why concept cars don't translate well to production. They often look fantastic, but often sacrifice practicality.
It's a pony car. It's always going to sacrifice practicality.

Okay, so my swap should include those huge Brembos, but I'm considering swapping those for the smaller 4pot/2pot brakes. Opinions?

Not sure about weight difference, but actual braking performance shouldn't be less.

Brembos are very expensive, depending on the horsepower you could get away easily with smaller brakes.

Circle T

HondaGAF, I need some advice.

Is there any major benefit either way between a RSX-S and the FG2 Civic Si?? I'm not looking to heavily modify anything. Just want a decent, reliable, fun DD, that I might make the occasional mod to, and possibly auto-x every now and then. I've found a couple of both in my area that I might go look at, just wondering if there are any specific things I should be aware of beforehand. Anyone own either, or have any thoughts either way?

Assuming you not Asian? Because those signs are clearly in Japanese but that's probably something you would only notice if you were basically familiar with Asian written languages.

For future reference:
0k8LN.jpg

I was trying to be funny. I work for a Japanese company. I am not Asian though. I do live in LA.

robox

last i checked, which was a couple years ago, 16" performance tire choices were quite limited. so i ended up going with a set of 17" wheels. jus' sayin'

HondaGAF, I need some advice.

Is there any major benefit either way between a RSX-S and the FG2 Civic Si?? I'm not looking to heavily modify anything. Just want a decent, reliable, fun DD, that I might make the occasional mod to, and possibly auto-x every now and then. I've found a couple of both in my area that I might go look at, just wondering if there are any specific things I should be aware of beforehand. Anyone own either, or have any thoughts either way?

Not a fan of both cars but I would go with the civic si..i thought it drove better than the rsx, plus if you will be doing auto-x it already has lsd.

N-Bomb

Brembos are very expensive, depending on the horsepower you could get away easily with smaller brakes.

From what I understand, your tires make more of a difference in braking than your actual brakes (street, not track). Your avatar is nightmarish, btw.

last i checked, which was a couple years ago, 16" performance tire choices were quite limited. so i ended up going with a set of 17" wheels. jus' sayin'

Yeah, this is such a strange thing to research. I'm even finding 17" wheels that are lighter than 16" ones. The 2004 OEM STi 17" are only 16.5 lbs! I guess then tire weight is something to consider. Wish Volks were cheaper.

Enron

Banned
From what I understand, your tires make more of a difference in braking than your actual brakes (street, not track). Your avatar is nightmarish, btw.

Yeah, this is such a strange thing to research. I'm even finding 17" wheels that are lighter than 16" ones. The 2004 OEM STi 17" are only 16.5 lbs! I guess then tire weight is something to consider. Wish Volks were cheaper.

oh my god, he finally figured out how to use multiquote

ameratsu

That Subaru 2.5RS I posted about earlier is a total POS. It wouldn't even start (clicking starter). It hadn't been started since February. Had pretty obviously repainted, there was oil leaking from between the head and block on one side, the power steering rack appeared to be leaking, and the rear differential was covered in oil. This is just what I discovered in like 10 minutes, who knows what else would show up upon a more thorough inspection. I wouldn't take it for half the price.

AlphaSnake

Alpha: Any news on the F-Type Coupe?

Will arrive months after the convertible. I don't understand that concept. Launch the worst version first. Why? They better change their mind and release the two simultaneously. Or at least stagger the release a month or two at the very most. I don't want to see the coupe come out a year after the convertible. Because God knows if the convertible is launching Summer 2013, there's no chance the coupe launches Fall or Winter.

Ugh.

Shut up and take my money, Jaguar!

reilo

I just saw a dark blue E type. Holy shit it looks pheneomenal in person.

ameratsu

Sounds like Toyota has a winner on their hands with the Prius C. Starts at 19k and gets better observed fuel economy than the more expensive Prius liftback. This car is going to have a significant impact.

Driving the Prius c like a “normal” car (speeds up to 73MPH on the highway, keeping up with traffic and occasionally passing) made my commute average fall to a still respectable 52MPG. Over a full week and 831 miles, my 51MPG average came in just a hair above the EPA’s combined 50MPG score.

While 51MPG may sound “old hat,” the impressive thing the the Prius c maintained this high average while commuting over a 2,200ft mountain pass daily. Your mileage will obviously vary depending on your commute, your driving style and how much you use the A/C. Numbers are worthless without comparison, so here we go. The Prius c delivered 5-10 more MPGs than the Prius liftback on the same commute despite having essentially the same EPA scores (Prius 51/48MPG, Prius c 53/46MPG).

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/04/review-2012-toyota-prius-c/

ascii42

Sounds like Toyota has a winner on their hands with the Prius C. Starts at 19k and gets better observed fuel economy than the more expensive Prius liftback. This car is going to have a significant impact.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/04/review-2012-toyota-prius-c/
Yeah, fuel economy sounds good, but is it worth the extra cost over the Yaris? The Yaris is basically the same size and starts nearly $5k cheaper, granted a base Prius C is better equipped than a base Yaris.

ameratsu

Yeah, fuel economy sounds good, but is it worth the extra cost over the Yaris? The Yaris is basically the same size and starts nearly $5k cheaper, granted a base Prius C is better equipped than a base Yaris.

Read the review, he answers this point directly. But tl;dr after 5 years (@15k miles/year) cost of owning a yaris vs. a prius c is the same, including the initial difference in price.

That Subaru 2.5RS I posted about earlier is a total POS. It wouldn't even start (clicking starter). It hadn't been started since February. Had pretty obviously repainted, there was oil leaking from between the head and block on one side, the power steering rack appeared to be leaking, and the rear differential was covered in oil. This is just what I discovered in like 10 minutes, who knows what else would show up upon a more thorough inspection. I wouldn't take it for half the price.

Sounds like somebody got auto-myspace angled. Some sellers are just shitty like that, completely understating the amount of work necessary for a car. I, on the other hand, tend to be too up front about issues and scare everyone off.

ameratsu

Sounds like somebody got auto-myspace angled. Some sellers are just shitty like that, completely understating the amount of work necessary for a car. I, on the other hand, tend to be too up front about issues and scare everyone off.

Based on what he had told me on the phone, I didn't have high expectations but wanted to check it out anyway as it was only a few blocks from me. I thought, best case scenario, it's in good shape overall but needs a timing belt and along with some minor maintenance performed.

Whatever, on to the next one.

Zyzyxxz

Bwahahaha. Look at how bucking fugly the Cayenne was...fucking saved Porsche.

Well it didn't save them as their sales were already decent but it boosted them to stratospheric profit levels.

Cayenne's start at $48K as well so the Lambo will be out of reach for many anyways.

AcridMeat

Banned
I guess I'm not seeing what the huge significance of .8mph makes when we're talking about this car.

Real world no one is going 0-60 anyway.

I mean I guess you can call it cheating, but I never thought that statistic is anything more than a throwaway fact to show off.

reilo

I guess I'm not seeing what the huge significance of .8mph makes when we're talking about this car.

I mean I guess you can call it cheating, but I never thought that statistic is anything more than a throwaway fact to show off.

Because it doesn't account for another shift that other cars do. That can easily add .5-1s.

AcridMeat

Banned
Because it doesn't account for another shift that other cars do. That can easily add .5-1s.
I get that, obviously, but the .8mph that it doesn't reach by that point. edit* Was my point.

Like I said I feel that statistic isn't much more than to show off. It'd be much more useful if they did 30-80 tests for cars.

ascii42

Yeah, especially considering how fast cars can go these days. Who cares about the 0 to 60 in a car that can do over 200? Of course, one could argue that most people shouldn't care about being able to go over 200 either.

You can also say the same thing about handling...

Real world no one is going to get the full handling experience on a public road.

and yes that is cheating.

zbeeb

The FR-S/BRZ are really the sort of car I'd love to own on a day-to-day basis. Fun to drive, reasonably fuel efficient, all that jazz.

Shame they look nothing like the concepts though, they were so horn.

I'd call it cheating because it's bitten plenty of other cars in the butt before. I've also seen it come up as a half second difference between 0-60mph and 0-100km/h tests.

That said, them doing the test like that is a better representation of the car's acceleration and is perfectly fair so long as they explain that's how they did it. I guess they didn't explain it in the article (can't read the whole thing right now) and if that's how they did it then that's a fault on their part.

Circle T

0-60, 1/4 mile, Nürb times, etc, always seemed to me like the automotive equivalent of the "Why so low?" complaints we see on gaming side with reviews. One magazine gets a 0-60 time, another gets a different time. Some car sets a time around the Ring, then something else beats it. That is all well and good, but it really all means nothing. I mean, if a few tenths of a second are the determining factor on whether a car is good or not to some people, so be it. But just like with games, personally, I just want to know how enjoyable/practical/efficient a car is. The score really means nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom