• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rzez

I'm not obsessed with power. But I do think it is extremely important. I think the new Shelby is absolutely stupid. I think the ZR1 is pointless.

But I do think cars like the V12 Vantage, Z06, R8 V10, 911 Turbo S, and the lot have an idea amount of power. Over 500HP weighing between 3000-3500lbs.

You have to remember that the mustang is just playing up to the fans which are broad. You have the Boss for those who like a track focused car, and its heritage from the old series. You have the GT for the typical muscle/pony car fan. The V6 for those who love the retro style. And you have 662hp/633ftlb GT500 for the old GT500KR and drag fans.

Besides its worth noting a $55k car that can hit over 200mph. It has 6 piston brembos and a ton of track coolers. Im sure it wont handle like a mid engine or even.like a GTR but im sure itll handle ok. Itll be fun in its own right.

Ford makes a mustang for everyone. Even their new commercial shows that philosophy. Other makers should follow suit. Instead of just giving us say some wheezing cheap car saying power is bad, real car fans dont care about power. They should have given the cheapo model and a proper track car that has power to match the handling.

Hyundai's made such huge strides in the past 5-6 years it's ridiculous.

New Azera is looking hot.

Hyundai-Azera_2012_1024x768_wallpaper_0e.jpg

Hyundai-Azera_2012_1024x768_wallpaper_0f.jpg

Hyundai-Azera_2012_1024x768_wallpaper_14.jpg

Azera is so damn nice inside too. Hyundai has done some magic with their seats...because sitting in the seats of the Genesis R, the Equus, and the Azera were insanely comfortable.

Wubby

My boss's husband put in an order for a new GT86 last week. Orders are all booked though so it won't be delivered till September they said.

My Fit is going to be paid off next month so I'll be putting what I used to pay for that towards my next car and the wife will be getting the Fit.

I do like the 86... it has that new car freshness and looks to be a blast to drive. But I can't help thinking about an R34 GT-R or another MkIV Supra like I had in the states. Or just save my money and get something cheap like a Cappuccino to play with.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

My dream car.

Anyways...Ughh at Hyundai styling. So ugly. All the cars look at mutated stingrays... especially the Sonotas. 1st Gen Gen Coupe was okay I guess but damn they just keep making them uglier and uglier. Shame as my first car was a Hyundai.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I've driven a Genesis sedan for long stretches on vacation once and it was damn nice.

Zyzyxxz

Hyundai's made such huge strides in the past 5-6 years it's ridiculous.

New Azera is looking hot.

The only thing is this car is the equivalent to the Avalon... not as cheap as a Sonata but not as expensive as a Genesis... so why bother to buy it?

It creeps up on the Genesis too much but doesn't seem to offer much more than the Sonata.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
on a date tonight, saw a red ferarri drive by. my head was spinning trying to see if it was i thought it was, but it disappeared in about 2 seconds. i wanted to run and get a look at it but knew the chick i was with wouldn't be pleased, so i pretended to pay attention to her. finished dinner, walk out to my car, and there it was parked right next to my old integra.

IMG_20120427_202138.jpg

first time i've seen one in the wild. i was totally giddy.

Look at the terror distance that Integra is parked at. Still, it's an Integra, someone will come along and steal it any minute.

The only thing is this car is the equivalent to the Avalon... not as cheap as a Sonata but not as expensive as a Genesis... so why bother to buy it?

It creeps up on the Genesis too much but doesn't seem to offer much more than the Sonata.

I bet it is cross-shopped with Taurus, Impala, Avalon, 300, etc in the large sedan class. I am sure plenty of people will bother to buy it. Mature, soft-riding, upper-middle class buyers stepping up from their Camrys. Genesis bumps into another price class alongside Infiniti/Acura/Lexus even though Hyundai generally isn't thought to be in that class.

I'm sure it has some options the Sonata doesn't. Probably for buyers who don't want to spend as much as a Genesis.

Circle T

2013 Ford Focus ST: $24,495 Base Price, SAE-Rated 252 hp and 270 lb-ft
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2013-ford-focus-st-24495-base-price-sae-rated-252-hp-and-270-lb-ft/

Shame it doesn't have a dual clutch like the lesser Focus. It's about the only thing missing.

As someone who prefers a manual, I'm ok with that. Also, fully loaded for less than $29k is pretty good for the level of trim it has. As someone who is currently shopping cars in this price range and category, this car has my interest.

coldfoot

Banned
As someone who prefers a manual, I'm ok with that. Also, fully loaded for less than $29k is pretty good for the level of trim it has. As someone who is currently shopping cars in this price range and category, this car has my interest.
I'm not as big of a manual enthusiast as you. I think manuals are more appropriate in rwd, light weight and low torque vehicles like the MX-5, S2000, BRZ/FRS. I'd prefer a DSG transmission in a 3000lb FWD hatchback which already is a compromise of a design to begin with.

Circle T

I'm not as big of a manual enthusiast as you. I think manuals are more appropriate in rwd, light weight and low torque vehicles like the MX-5, S2000, BRZ/FRS. I'd prefer a DSG transmission in a 3000lb FWD hatchback which already is a compromise of a design to begin with.

Eh, if I have a sporty car, regardless of drive configuration or power level, I prefer a manual. I just like the involvement that comes with shifting myself. I, personally, love hatchbacks, and this one looks really nice. Sure, I would love it if this thing were both turbo and AWD, like the Golf R or a WRX. Adding AWD adds cost, though, and then it would surely end up a $32k+ car like those others. For a fun, affordable, daily driver, something like this is pretty awesome, IMO.

Zyzyxxz

I bet it is cross-shopped with Taurus, Impala, Avalon, 300, etc in the large sedan class. I am sure plenty of people will bother to buy it. Mature, soft-riding, upper-middle class buyers stepping up from their Camrys. Genesis bumps into another price class alongside Infiniti/Acura/Lexus even though Hyundai generally isn't thought to be in that class.

yeah true but I'm disappointed a car that looks like this will be relegated to drivers who are over 50 who tend to drive Avalons, Taurus', and the ilk.

coldfoot

Banned
Eh, if I have a sporty car, regardless of drive configuration or power level, I prefer a manual. I just like the involvement that comes with shifting myself. I, personally, love hatchbacks, and this one looks really nice. Sure, I would love it if this thing were both turbo and AWD, like the Golf R or a WRX. Adding AWD adds cost, though, and then it would surely end up a $32k+ car like those others. For a fun, affordable, daily driver, something like this is pretty awesome, IMO.

See, for me "daily driver" means traffic, and I don't like being stuck in it with a manual. If I lived somewhere where being a daily driver didn't involve lots of traffic, I'd be all for a manual too.

Acid08

Banned
See, for me "daily driver" means traffic, and I don't like being stuck in it with a manual. If I lived somewhere where being a daily driver didn't involve lots of traffic, I'd be all for a manual too.
Being in traffic with a manual isn't bad at all. At least keeps you somewhat more mentally engaged.

AcridMeat

Banned
If you're stuck in stop and go for more than 30 minutes it's a pain in the leg.

Also annoying when the car ahead of you likes to tailgate the next car so they're full of jerky stops.

edit: Acid whatever happened with that event? Are you still tracking your car?

If you're stuck in stop and go for more than 30 minutes it's a pain in the leg.

Also annoying when the car ahead of you likes to tailgate the next car so they're full of jerky stops.

I agree, it is physically impossible to look beyond the car ahead.

Here's what you do in traffic: Put car in first gear, let out clutch, ignore people honking as gap opens ahead of you, laugh as gap closes just like you knew it would, laugh again as cars ahead start moving just as you catch up. Rinse-repeat until everyone behind you realizes that you are an automotive god.

AcridMeat

Banned
That's what I do as well. I'm always looking at the car ahead of the one directly ahead, either through their windshields or if they're not completely aligned, so I can anticipate their braking.

It's why I hate huge trucks and SUVs.

I want a BRZ :C

coldfoot

Banned
I agree, it is physically impossible to look beyond the car ahead.

Here's what you do in traffic: Put car in first gear, let out clutch, ignore people honking as gap opens ahead of you, laugh as gap closes just like you knew it would, laugh again as cars ahead start moving just as you catch up. Rinse-repeat until everyone behind you realizes that you are an automotive god.

Doesn't work. Someone cuts in front of me when I leave too much of a gap in the front.

Acid08

Banned
Any early 90's MR2 Turbo drivers here?

I'm probably going to have to put my Civic out to pasture within the next 6 months and want to replace it with a mid engine car, opinions on these? Pros and cons?

equap

Banned
currently driving a '10 GTI but thinking about getting a new car. What you guys think about the BRZ/GT86 and the 2013 Focus ST??

Circle T

I guess that is where we differ. I really don't mind a manual in traffic, and even though my commute is about 20-30mins, I don't really hit many lights. It's just steady flow.

And yea, I'm always watching ahead like you guys. It amazes me how many people you see who tear off from a stop light, when you just know they're going to catch the next one up ahead. I just cruise along, barely touching the gas or brakes, and roll through almost every light right on time. I've got almost my entire commute timed to where, if I'm the lead car in the lane, I can cruise almost the entire way without hitting my brakes.

currently driving a '10 GTI but thinking about getting a new car. What you guys think about the BRZ/GT86 and the 2013 Focus ST??

I really like the BRZ/FRS, but when looking at it next to the GTI and Focus ST, it is giving up quite a load of equipment. Looks to be a really fun car, and should be a hoot to drive, but you better really value that. A similarly priced GTI/Focus ST will have MUCH more equipment, as well as functionality with their extra interior space.

Plus, I just can't help but thing the BRZ STi will be the one to own.

coldfoot

Banned
I guess that is where we differ. I really don't mind a manual in traffic, and even though my commute is about 20-30mins, I don't really hit many lights. It's just steady flow.
I live in the NYC area so I doubt your traffic is comparable to mine :)

I really like the BRZ/FRS, but when looking at it next to the GTI and Focus ST, it is giving up quite a load of equipment. Looks to be a really fun car, and should be a hoot to drive, but you better really value that. A similarly priced GTI/Focus ST will have MUCH more equipment, as well as functionality with their extra interior space.
What kind of equipment does the BRZ miss compared to the Golf/Focus? The BRZ Limited gets all the necessary stuff like HID's, Leather, Bluetooth, Navigation, keyless start, heated seats, dual zone auto A/C. The only thing I can think that it's missing is a sunroof, but that has to do with the structure of the car than just being cheap.

So over the winter I'm going to be building a 944 spec racer. What I love is looking at prices for 944s now as compared to over the winter. Seems like anything that has a motor that at least runs now got a boost of about two grand. Looks like I'm waiting until fall to pick one up at a more reasonable price.

Acid08

Banned
So over the winter I'm going to be building a 944 spec racer. What I love is looking at prices for 944s now as compared to over the winter. Seems like anything that has a motor that at least runs now got a boost of about two grand. Looks like I'm waiting until fall to pick one up at a more reasonable price.
How much are you finding them for? I found one in good condition is my area for 9k. There were cheaper ones but they were in less than satisfactory condition.

How much are you finding them for? I found one in good condition is my area for 9k. There were cheaper ones but they were in less than satisfactory condition.

9k? Sounds like a really nice late model or decent turbo. I'm mostly looking for an 83-86 in whatever condition so long as the motor is strong so the prices are a lot lower. Right now I'm seeing even those for $4000+ in "okay" shape, though, which is just absurd. I don't think I'd put more than $2500 in the base car for a spec car since it'll get gutted anyway.

Here are a few fun examples of cars I wouldn't look twice at going for ridiculous prices:

Oh hey, an '84 with dry rotted tires and numerous electrical faults? $5000 sounds like a steal!
http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/2977736231.html

Automatic '84 with 100k miles and a lousy interior?! Sign me up!
http://terrehaute.craigslist.org/cto/2973588580.html

Just to finish up here's $1500 for a parts car that I don't think I'd even use for parts.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2969781647.html

My home-town of Cleveland is even worse. If I'm honest, though, this one almost looks like something I'd want as a weekend driver, if only because fuchs make everything better: http://terrehaute.craigslist.org/cto/2912026948.html

Edit: Yeah yeah, classic sports cars in the spring time, what else would you expect?

Acid08

Banned
Lol! Those are hilarious.

Yeah, I was looking at early 90's 944's. One day I'll have one. Sigh :(

Now someone answer my MR2 question ;P

All I know about them I've heard through other people, and to sum up what I know: RUST. WEEE OVERSTEER.

Also, apparently everybody loves driving them and they're lots of fun. I did a ride-along at an autocross in a guy's 90s NA MR2 and it was incredibly planted and agile, so there's that.

Edit: And are you looking for a 968 or just a 944S2? I bet a really good S2 can be had for under $10k. If you want a 968 then yeah, those are a lot harder to find and definitely $10k+ for a nice one but I don't really follow pricing on those because they're lame and ugly.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Remember the MR2 literally has NO storage space. Even a trip to the supermarket will end in failure if you take a passenger. Also, once you realize it's pronounced Mister Two, you can't unthink it.

Remember the MR2 literally has NO storage space. Even a trip to the supermarket will end in failure if you take a passenger. Also, once you realize it's pronounced Mister Two, you can't unthink it.

Forget that, it just makes every trip you make sound like some sort of illicit deal is taking place.

"I'll be taking a trip down to the store with Mr. Two tonight."

"Mr. Two and I will meet you there--come alone."

Okay that last one is maybe a little menacing on purpose, and perhaps not the best way to pick up a date.

Acid08

Banned
This is true D:

My hatch right now is pretty nice in that regard. Other mid engine suggestions? I drive the shit out of cars so reliability is important.

This is true D:

My hatch right now is pretty nice in that regard. Other mid engine suggestions? I drive the shit out of cars so reliability is important.

Your search returned 0 results.

The only things that come to mind are MR2, NSX, Lotus Elise, Porsche Boxster/Cayman. And of those the only ones you'll be able to find for under $15k are the MR2 and the Boxster, and you really don't want a cheap Boxster.

Acid08

Banned
Your search returned 0 results.

The only things that come to mind are MR2, NSX, Lotus Elise, Porsche Boxster/Cayman. And of those the only ones you'll be able to find for under $15k are the MR2 and the Boxster, and you really don't want a cheap Boxster.
Well if reliability is out of the question then the next most important thing would be ease of finding replacement parts. MR2's seem good for that though working on a mid engine seems difficult.

Circle T

I live in the NYC area so I doubt your traffic is comparable to mine :)

Nope, mine would be nothing like that.

What kind of equipment does the BRZ miss compared to the Golf/Focus? The BRZ Limited gets all the necessary stuff like HID's, Leather, Bluetooth, Navigation, keyless start, heated seats, dual zone auto A/C. The only thing I can think that it's missing is a sunroof, but that has to do with the structure of the car than just being cheap.

To be honest, I forgot about the Limited BRZ having all of that stuff. In that case, for ~$28k, you'll get fairly similar equipment. I guess, in my head, the spartan design of the interior just makes it seem to me that it's lacking, when it obviously isn't really missing too much. I've driven both a pretty loaded Titanium Focus and a loaded GTI, and the interior of those both feel like really nice cars. The BRZ/FRS, on the other hand, was obviously designed with driving as first priority, and everything else added in.

sfedai0

Banned
Man, I love Honda (well, their older lineup) but I see myself probably selling my S2k for a 2nd year BRZ or maybe FR-S, depending on what they refresh on. Thought I would move on to some german cars, but these small, lightweight RWD cars are still what I really crave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom