• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
And I would never buy black. Beige is 2nd choice, and my favorite color combo is maroon/red on silver as I had in my previous car:
~ GTO Pic ~

Love it. I really liked the GTO interior.

I *love* the looks of the new Camaro's orange interior when matched with an IOM or black exterior.

100_1348.jpg

Too bad the quality of the materials are pretty bad :(

coldfoot

Banned
Yeah that camaro has nice interior color, too bad the materials quality and the visibility was a step back from the G8 which it was based...
G8 GXP > Camaro SS
Doesn't feel like you walked into a cave as you feel in an all black interior.

Anyone recommend an SUV for the Miss? I was thinking CRV or Sorento.

In the same market, but need a 3-row....She is leaving the search up to me, and I am looking at a 3-row Sorento EX w/ Premium Package (~$24k for a 2011) or a CX-9 Touring (~24k for a 2008/2009) with an Acadia/Veracruz/Pilot a distant third.

as I understand, the CX-9 will be the better driver and bigger overall, but the price goes up pretty quickly when i factor in the options she wants most (Blutooth, Sunroof, Leather) while the Sorento with the 4cyl won't be as quick, but i can load it up with options and buy much newer for the same price.

Acid08

Banned
Saw a Skyline (33 or 34, not sure) out on the backroads a couple days ago doing what I was doing, timed runs lol. I was super surprised, never actually seen one out in the wild before. We pulled over and chatted for a while, pretty nice dude.

ascii42

In the same market, but need a 3-row....She is leaving the search up to me, and I am looking at a 3-row Sorento EX w/ Premium Package (~$24k for a 2011) or a CX-9 Touring (~24k for a 2008/2009) with an Acadia/Veracruz/Pilot a distant third.

as I understand, the CX-9 will be the better driver and bigger overall, but the price goes up pretty quickly when i factor in the options she wants most (Blutooth, Sunroof, Leather) while the Sorento with the 4cyl won't be as quick, but i can load it up with options and buy much newer for the same price.

The Sorento's third row isn't very big, depending on who's going to be sitting there, that could be an important consideration. I think all the others you mention offer 2-3" more legroom. The Sorento is, however, smaller and as such probably more dynamic to drive and more fuel efficient.

The Sorento's third row isn't very big, depending on who's going to be sitting there, that could be an important consideration. I think all the others you mention offer 2-3" more legroom. The Sorento is, however, smaller and as such probably more dynamic to drive and more fuel efficient.

yeah, it will be on the small end, but the third row will be infrequently used, i would guess. and never by me so long as i am paying for it right? I am 6'4" and my wife is 5'10" so we won't be chilling back there too much.

She drives a Tucson Limited right now that we really like, but with one carseat in it and another kid on the way we just need a step bigger and a third row because the 2nd row will be all carseat (wish i could get 2nd row captains chairs in a CX-9). But the Sorento in EX trim is a pretty unbeatable value and the 2011s are really abundant in a ton of different configs.

Parents are getting a fully loaded '12 Sierra Denali in White Diamond delivered today. Pics coming soon! My dad originally wanted the Silverado LTZ but once I showed he and my mom the Denali they fell in love.

Acid08

Banned
What do you guys think about Hummers as consumer vehicles?

Personally, I'm hate them. I live in suburbs and seeing the moms driving them around to the grocery store is facepalm worthy. I wonder how many of these people actually use them for anything other than street driving, so wasteful. I get endless joy seeing people driving H2's in SF, what a terrible idea.

Watevaman

I hate most utility/offroad style vehicles I see on the road. Not hate as in their design, but the concept that some middle-class soccer mom is using it to shuffle groceries back and forth. My friend's dad had an H1 and wouldn't be caught dead driving that thing as a commuter.

What do you guys think about Hummers as consumer vehicles?

Personally, I'm hate them. I live in suburbs and seeing the moms driving them around to the grocery store is facepalm worthy. I wonder how many of these people actually use them for anything other than street driving, so wasteful. I get endless joy seeing people driving H2's in SF, what a terrible idea.

Very astute observations here. I'll let you use my time machine to go back a few years so you can take it up with Hummer before they went under.

Had this conversation with my neighbor, and he actually made a pretty decent point...He has an H2 that in their "truck" hauls a boat and takes it up north and all that. but he said the real reason he bought it (and his wife drives it) is that it is a tank in which he puts his most valued possessions (his wife and 2 kids) and knows in a collision they will be safest. She sits up high, can see everything, and someone runs a red light, they are fucked if they hit her.

i would never buy one...but his justification is fair if you ask me. His other car (his DD) is an A4.

Acid08

Banned
Had this conversation with my neighbor, and he actually made a pretty decent point...He has an H2 that in their "truck" hauls a boat and takes it up north and all that. but he said the real reason he bought it (and his wife drives it) is that it is a tank in which he puts his most valued possessions (his wife and 2 kids) and knows in a collision they will be safest. She sits up high, can see everything, and someone runs a red light, they are fucked if they hit her.

i would never buy one...but his justification is fair if you ask me. His other car (his DD) is an A4.
That's one of my other complaints. I get them wanting to be safe but what if they fuck up and crash into me? I'm dead no question and even if somehow I survive my car is going to be totally destroyed.

Zyzyxxz

Intention is good but honestly I think it's pretty selfish in terms of a whole society thinking. SUV and Trucks are higher up and where their front bumper is, is where my head should be. Honestly I think there should be extra luxury taxes on an SUV because it's a luxury vehicle in the sense that most of the time the owners 1) Don't need it but can afford it (hence luxury) 2) May need it to move lots of things (well poor folk don't have much to move and even they can afford a Uhaul once in a while), 3) They take up much more space on the road and cause more damage due to them being overweight and thus the average taxpayer subsidizes the damages to roads overall.

ascii42

I've never cared one way or the other regarding Hummers, but the conversation they bring up amuses me. People love to talk trash about a huge SUV with only the driver in it, but I never get much of any flak for driving a gas guzzling 1976 Oldsmobile. I guess it's because it's a classic, but at least an SUV can be practical. They could occasionally use its towing/hauling abilities. My Olds is just, well, big and comfortable. I guess it can carry 6 people more comfortably than most other sedans can carry 5, though.

As an automotive enthusiasts with unconventional taste, my verdict is: people can drive whatever they want to drive. I certainly do. Why should I ask something different of anyone else?

AcridMeat

Banned
Intention is good but honestly I think it's pretty selfish in terms of a whole society thinking. SUV and Trucks are higher up and where their front bumper is, is where my head should be. Honestly I think there should be extra luxury taxes on an SUV because it's a luxury vehicle in the sense that most of the time the owners 1) Don't need it but can afford it (hence luxury) 2) May need it to move lots of things (well poor folk don't have much to move and even they can afford a Uhaul once in a while), 3) They take up much more space on the road and cause more damage due to them being overweight and thus the average taxpayer subsidizes the damages to roads overall.
I'd vote for you.

The whole "I buy it so they're safe" is BS imo. The only reason they have to say that at all is because the SUV exists as such an oversold luxury item.

Acid is totally right. I was driving to school this morning and a guy in a raised pick up, taller than any SUV, took up the entire lane. He had about 6-12 inches on either side of the lane. When I was side by side at first I thought he was just weaving like a crazy person, but when I was behind him I realized why. Stupid vehicles I wish you had to apply for.

I realize my example was a pick up, and I'm sure he had a fantastic justification for it, so don't quote and tell me so.

AcridMeat

Banned
I've never cared one way or the other regarding Hummers, but the conversation they bring up amuses me. People love to talk trash about a huge SUV with only the driver in it, but I never get much of any flak for driving a gas guzzling 1976 Oldsmobile. I guess it's because it's a classic, but at least an SUV can be practical. They could occasionally use its towing/hauling abilities. My Olds is just, well, big and comfortable. I guess it can carry 6 people more comfortably than most other sedans can carry 5, though.

As an automotive enthusiasts with unconventional taste, my verdict is: people can drive whatever they want to drive. I certainly do. Why should I ask something different of anyone else?
Thing is, they aren't making your car anymore. No oldsmobile is a boat like it was back then. It's a bigger deal that these SUVs are continually produced at such a huge size/weight.

I also tend to think it's better to keep an old car running longer than keep buying new ones, but that's another debate entirely.

edit: I'm passionate about this right now because I just got home after spending an hour of dealing with these SUVs driven by the mothers of the family.

Zyzyxxz

I'd vote for you.

The whole "I buy it so they're safe" is BS imo. The only reason they have to say that at all is because the SUV exists as such an oversold luxury item.

Acid is totally right. I was driving to school this morning and a guy in a raised pick up, taller than any SUV, took up the entire lane. He had about 6-12 inches on either side of the lane. When I was side by side at first I thought he was just weaving like a crazy person, but when I was behind him I realized why. Stupid vehicles I wish you had to apply for.

I realize my example was a pick up, and I'm sure he had a fantastic justification for it, so don't quote and tell me so.

Know what you mean, when I went to school in Riverside it felt like every car on the highway was either a pickup or a SUV since it's basically SoCal's redneck haven.

Also I have a bone to pick with SUV's because they killed 90's Japanese sports cars (although some would rather say consumers wants shifted towards SUV's, causation aside, something did have to give to allow room for another).

We are getting an SUV because we are going to have a toddler and a baby in there. A third row would be icing for us. I want to get her leather and blutooth but want it to be comfortable. I am hoping for less than 30k.

Know what you mean, when I went to school in Riverside it felt like every car on the highway was either a pickup or a SUV since it's basically SoCal's redneck haven.

The 60/91/215 stretch in Riverside is the worst. I was on edge the whole time.
(I only has a motorcycle while going to UCR)

On the big and safe-ness of SUV's, most people still don't understand crumple zones, let alone the engineering that goes on to make a car safe.

N-Bomb

Oh god. SUVs. The modern day inadequacy-compensating, badly-justified family station wagon. Women want them because they're irrational and afraid, and men want them because they can't be bothered to be men.

The only thing I don't know is if they're better or worse than minivans. Which more puts out the statement 'I've given up on life and am waiting for the grave to take me' ?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oh god. SUVs. The modern day inadequacy-compensating, badly-justified family station wagon. Women want them because they're irrational and afraid, and men want them because they can't be bothered to be men.

The only thing I don't know is if they're better or worse than minivans. Which more puts out the statement 'I've given up on life and am waiting for the grave to take me' ?

Or you have three kids and it snows where you live.

FUUUUU I want that exact car.

Pictures man, pictures!!!!

I JUST got it today, and its dark out now. its a nice project car that needs work, I got it for a steal price, $1700, the worst thing is the previous owner painted over the original Steel Mist Grey Paint... with a matte black rattlecan

Zyzyxxz

Eh my mom has a minivan and she actually uses it for work since it's a Toyota Sienna and the 3rd row folds in and the middle row folds forward or easily removable.

Also it helps for long trips and even if you only have 5 people it means one person in the back can lay down and have some personal space.

Also fuel efficiency is much better than an SUV so for moving stuff it automatically is better. What annoys me is that Americans are so anti-wagon.

Damn if only we had the awesome Audi A4 wagon.

cajunator

Banned

Actually, hummer h2s crumple up pretty significantly in an accident.

:(
You make me a sad panda.

Can we be friends?

ascii42

You're seriously going to use the phrase "inadequacy-compensating" in an automotive discussion thread?

Nista

You're seriously going to use the phrase "inadequacy-compensating" in an automotive discussion thread?

Now I'm pondering if my convertible makes up for any inadequacies in my life. :)

But on the topic of SUVs, I truly despise them and would never buy one myself, and I live in an area where the stereotypical soccer mom driving a huge SUV is common. Whenever I see articles or segments on SUVs on Motorweek that proclaim that's what women want in a vehicle, I feel a bit annoyed. The larger SUVs also completely blind me at night when they tailgate with bright halogen headlights right in my field of view.

However my mom has an late model Dodge caravan minivan that she uses for work (flower deliveries and wedding setup) and I think it's pretty practical. I don't much like driving it, because it feels awkward sitting up so high. Doesn't feel like it'd be particularly safe in a crash.

My friend also got a white 2004 Mazda Tribute to replace his piece of junk police car, and I'm not sure it was much of an upgrade (except mechanically). But he seems to enjoy it, and it was free, so I can't hate on it too much.

Humans are self interested creatures. I am not saying i subscribe to his argument...but ultimately we don't make decisions based on what is best "for everyone else" we make them on "what is best for us" and that includes if you value making other people think you are saving the wold or the personal self-satisfaction of thinking you are helping the "other guy" in a crash involving 2 Smart cars.

It is his money (of which he has plenty) and if he doesn't mind spending a cool $120 to fill it up every 8 days on top of his car payment....I have no place to argue with him.

And what is a AWD car that is not a SUV supposed to do in a place with deep snow ? Are you going to keep pushing in to snow with yer bumper ? You'll just get stuck, real quick.

Put some Blizzaks on my Subaru and that thing will plow snow no problem. Hell, i have driven with snow up to the undercarriage with just my all-season Continental DWSs on it.

N-Bomb

Just moved up

got me a 1992 Turbo MR2 T-tops, love the power.

Congrats dude! Details please!

Also fuel efficiency is much better than an SUV so for moving stuff it automatically is better. What annoys me is that Americans are so anti-wagon.

Wagons are fantastic for hauling, and don't suffer many of the physical and mental penalties that minivans and Brotrucks do. Probably just bad experience from GM POSs in the 70s and 80s. :\

:(
You make me a sad panda.

I'm sorry, it's nothing personal.

Can we be friends?

Depends on if you like yaw control or not. ;)

Why yes I am.

And what is a AWD car that is not a SUV supposed to do in a place with deep snow ? Are you going to keep pushing in to snow with yer bumper ? You'll just get stuck, real quick.

You understand that most modern SUVs aren't much higher (if at all) than most modern passenger cars, right? In the case of most crossovers and cute utes, almost not at all, and in the case of most big truck SUVs, you'll get 1 or 2 more inches.

Subaru Outback vs. GMC Yukon Denali - Ground Clearance (in.) 8.70 / 9.00

Even a Honda Accord Crosstour (ugh) has around 6" of clearance.

As AlanzTalon said, put some good snow tires on there, and you'll be fine.

PS - the AWD systems on most minivans/SUVs are actually pretty garbage. Don't rely on those to keep you 'safe' or out of the ditch in good snow.

ameratsu

So I am going to look at a 2004 Acura TL w/ Dynamic Package (6MT, LSD, Larger front brakes). Anyone have experience with these?

Circle T

Sad day today in the automotive world.....

AutoBlog said:
Carroll Shelby passes away at age 89

Carroll Shelby has passed away at the age of 89. The legendary tuner and proprietor of the famous marque that bears his name had been in the hospital for several weeks, suffering from pneumonia. Shelby addressed his fans fourteen days before his death, saying that he was resting comfortably and being taken care of by his children.

Anyone familiar in the least with automotive history is well aware of Shelby's vast vehicular exploits, so we'll just touch on them here. Carroll was a successful race car driver in the 1950s before creating his own racing team to take on the likes of Ferrari, using Ford-powered sportscar called the Cobra. Suffice it to say, Shelby and his Cobra were extremely successful. Later, Shelby's name would become synonymous with the fastest and most powerful Ford Mustang models ever created.

Shelby is survived by his three children Patrick, Michael and Sharon, his sister Anne Shelby Ellison of Fort Worth and his wife Cleo. An official press release can be found below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/11/carroll-shelby-passes-away-at-age-89/

veTuR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom