• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally found that damn flash card, better shot of the car
dsc03570l.jpg

mr2one.jpg

mr2interior.jpg

mr2engine.jpg

Acid08

Banned
You going to go with the original color or do something different? Awesome stuff though, really can't wait to get my own.

I am really thinking of going with that SMG, it seems like such a great color when I look in the door jambs.

I am noticing a great number of suprises on this car though, CARB legal K&N intake system, B&M short shifter, Tein Lowering springs, the exhaust system looks really clean and new, I have to look it over for the model of the muffler.

I also set the BOV to reciprocate back into the system, rather than atmospheric. car runs better like that, and that PSHH sound grabs a bit too much attention for me.

Acid08

Banned
Left foot braking is weird. Definitely not ready to attempt that again soon, totally unprepared. Reading about it on the internet prepared me for nothing lol.

I realized tonight, doing the run I've been doing for the past month and a half or so, I have tons of bad habits for this kind of driving. My daily driving is great but I need some better habits if I'm ever going to track well. My car carries me through turns right now but my throttle control and braking is all over the place. I know nothing about these theories, I just kind of threw myself in to learn first hand. At least it has taught me that I have a lot to learn.

I was pretty close to buying an AP2 S2000 in GPW last month, but the guy sold it to someone else who offered to buy the car with all the mods on it (crappy wheels, coil overs, and hardtop). I only wanted the hardtop :\

sooooooo.....I'm kind of thinking about an NA1 NSX, in GPW of course. I know its tough to find one in that color. Someone please talk me into or out of an NSX :p I already know of the snap ring issues, water pump and timing belts.

Left foot braking is weird. Definitely not ready to attempt that again soon, totally unprepared. Reading about it on the internet prepared me for nothing lol.

I realized tonight, doing the run I've been doing for the past month and a half or so, I have tons of bad habits for this kind of driving. My daily driving is great but I need some better habits if I'm ever going to track well. My car carries me through turns right now but my throttle control and braking is all over the place. I know nothing about these theories, I just kind of threw myself in to learn first hand. At least it has taught me that I have a lot to learn.
track school? Track day?

I was pretty close to buying an AP2 S2000 in GPW last month, but the guy sold it to someone else who offered to buy the car with all the mods on it (crappy wheels, coil overs, and hardtop). I only wanted the hardtop :\

sooooooo.....I'm kind of thinking about an NA1 NSX, in GPW of course. I know its tough to find one in that color. Someone please talk me into or out of an NSX :p I already know of the snap ring issues, water pump and timing belts.

Do it, you won't!

Seriously though, who's going to talk you out of buying one!? I say go for it!

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
SUV drivers drive too slow? You should come to Atlanta. Not only do most commuter SUV drivers not know how to drive, they do so at high speeds.
In Texas you can add "regardless of road/atmospheric conditions".

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The 135is ('13) is available to order as you read this, with the first deliveries taking place in the fall. Pricing starts at $44,195 for the coupe and $44,895 for the convertible, including the $895 destination charge.

Jesus! The 2012 135i started at $36,000 MSRP. Why the nearly $10k jump in MSRP? That's absurd.

The 2013 335i Coupe has a $45,100 MSRP!

SUPREME1

Banned
Jesus! The 2012 135i started at $36,000 MSRP. Why the nearly $10k jump in MSRP? That's absurd.

Didn't Nissan do the same $10K jump in MSRP with the GTR?

Not comparing cars, lol, but what makes them feel as though they can bump the price up so much without much backlash? Are they selling that well that they feel they can pull it off?

reilo

Didn't Nissan do the same $10K jump in MSRP with the GTR?

Not comparing cars, lol, but what makes them feel as though they can bump the price up so much without much backlash? Are they selling that well that they feel they can pull it off?

No fucking clue. Check my edit. The 2013 335i Coupe has a MSRP of $45,100!

EDIT: Ah, it's the 135is. Either way, a $10k jump in MSRP is wow.

los

No fucking clue. Check my edit. The 2013 335i Coupe has a MSRP of $45,100!

EDIT: Ah, it's the 135is. Either way, a $10k jump in MSRP is wow.

It is a lot, but the 335is at $52,100 carries a hefty premium over the regular 335i at $45,100.

What seems odd is that the next gen M135i has the same 320hp as that 135is.

ascii42

The 2013 335i Coupe has a $45,100 MSRP!
I thought BMW was in the process of having all their coupes be even number series. Shouldn't it be 235is? Or is that happening later?

reilo

There was a kit-car version of that at a cars and coffee event I go to. 427, too. Fantastic.

UHm, follow-up.

Apparently the 427 Cobra that I saw on Saturday was indeed... real.

Wow.

7188855314_5176fe5190_c.jpg

7188857210_e80df83481_c.jpg

I found a couple Bay Area orgs that offer education and classes.

Giant Robot, you have any experience or knowledge to pass on regarding classes in the area?

I have no experience with formal driving classes/schools. Just seat/driving time in HPDE, AutoX, and Drifting events with various organizations. What organization are you looking at? NASA? Skip Barber at Laguna Seca? SCCA?

N-Bomb

Just came in the mail yesterday :D

1f7b26949f0511e1a9f71231382044a1_7.jpg

Welcome to the world of active differentials!

And the shop tells me that they have most of the parts in (sans STi aluminum hood) - probably be getting me to bring the car in next week. Can't wait!

We still need to decide on what to do about wheels/brakes though. :\

you got good taste! I had a GPW NSX and it was gorgeous!

maintenance is not bad at all, the only thing pricey are the tires, unless you stay with the yucky stock 15/16...

mods are a different story, you would be paying what the nsx community calls the "NSX tax"..

I had NSX-R part on mine..and the prices were insane!! so beware if you want to mod.

http://www.insideline.com/acura/nsx/the-acura-nsx-concept-meets-an-original-1991-acura-nsx.html

Wow, in my head I aso didn't quite believe the dimensions. Looks like it's Lotus-sized. It's shorter than the old NSX, but quite a bit wider which gives it a better stance. It's going to be a long 3 year wait...

wow...the new nsx must be really tiny then.

N-Bomb

Do not like the styling.

Another car out of my price range, driven by no one but douchebags with kizza$h. :(

Maybe it'll be something in 15 years.

Why did Ford have to go and make the V6 Mustang have over 300hp? The Mustang GT was such a good value for the power you get, and now the V6 just feels like a total steal of a deal.

I've been back and forth and inbetween each model and the in's and out's ... I just can't decide if the increase in power is worth it.

Pre-2010 the V6 stangs were a joke. Now they're over 300hp and under 5.5sec 0-60. That is madness!

Oversimplified, it comes down to $25k V6. $30k GT. 5 gbars for the power boost. I am no race car driver, and this car isn't going to hit the track... but the little boy inside keeps me from pulling the trigger on the V6. Enough is never enough. HELP

N-Bomb

Oversimplified, it comes down to $25k V6. $30k GT. 5 gbars for the power boost. I am no race car driver, and this car isn't going to hit the track... but the little boy inside keeps me from pulling the trigger on the V6. Enough is never enough. HELP

You know what, the V6 is there for people who really can't or don't want to afford the GT, but if the GT is your dream or you can afford it or if you just want more, then spend the extra.

I doubt you'll regret it. :)

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The ineptitude of some dealerships makes me feel so much better about myself. A $130 brake service from Toyota cost me $15 to do myself. Rear drums/shoes were squeaky when applying hard braking. 2 cans (lol) of brake clean and a little brake lube solved all issues... they wanted to replace front pads and rotors AND replace rear shoes/drums though both had 50%/80% life left lol. Fuck you Laking Toyota.

You know what, the V6 is there for people who really can't or don't want to afford the GT, but if the GT is your dream or you can afford it or if you just want more, then spend the extra.

I doubt you'll regret it. :)

Yea, I think I knew this to be true all along. I doubt I would ever regret spending the extra. There's a good chance I would regret not spending more when I had the chance.

Maybe I will just be totally (financially) reckless and take out a 72mo loan instead of the 48 or 60 I was planning, and tick box option that thing into my dream car.

The Cobra (and eventually the Cobra SVT/Terminator) were always my real dream cars. This should be pretty close.

N-Bomb

Maybe I will just be totally (financially) reckless and take out a 72mo loan instead of the 48 or 60 I was planning, and tick box option that thing into my dream car.

Right on dude. I'm building not quite my dream car right now, but something close. Kinda not worrying about the cost. It's somewhat liberating to get exactly what you want.

N-Bomb

11-2012-mazda3-skyactiv-review.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks this looks kind of neat? Might do something similar when I get my headlights retrofitted.

ascii42

The Chrystler 200 seems like a debadged generic car they use in movies and commericals..
I test drove one at the Atlanta Auto show. Seemed nice enough. The 4-cylinder was a bit raspy, though. It's a shame they didn't have the V6 version. Still no getting around the Sebring roofline.

MechDX

I test drove one at the Atlanta Auto show. Seemed nice enough. The 4-cylinder was a bit raspy, though. It's a shame they didn't have the V6 version. Still no getting around the Sebring roofline.

Cant you get the Pentastar V6 version? I got the Dodge Avenger which is the Dodge equal of the 200 with sportier looks and styling and the V6 is a beast at 290HP in that small of a car.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Impressive.

But you're still buying a Mustang for $60k.

THIS!

To be fair it's what he wants. I'd get a used NSX or a down payment for a GTR... maybe a Porshe but to each his own.

Cant you get the Pentastar V6 version? I got the Dodge Avenger which is the Dodge equal of the 200 with sportier looks and styling and the V6 is a beast at 290HP in that small of a car.

You sure can! Fuck if it wasn't for my 10+ years with Chrysler products I would get a 200 with the new Pentastar but I've been fucked over by the reliability too many times:'(

Viperbah

THIS!

To be fair it's what he wants. I'd get a used NSX or a down payment for a GTR... maybe a Porshe but to each his own.

Who cares if it's "just a mustang" I hate that argument. For a new car, there is nothing even remotely close to this car performance wise for the price.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
THIS!

You sure can! Fuck if it wasn't for my 10+ years with Chrysler products I would get a 200 with the new Pentastar but I've been fucked over by the reliability too many times:'(

The market for guys that buy GT500s isn't the same market as guys who buy 10 year old used NSX's.

N-Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom