• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
biw1_0.jpg

Tesla Model S deliveries begin on June 22nd. I feel a paradigm shift coming in terms of electric cars. This is going to be a game changer.

More info here.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Absolutely scathing review of the Fisker Karma's infotainment system. I cannot believe how awful this thing is. For a car that seems to be focused on technology I'm surprised they would release the car with such terrible software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK8MqjagHu8&feature=relmfu

Also of note; the owner was almost in an accident when the mirrors mistakenly retracted on the highway while trying to avoid debris.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Absolutely scathing review of the Fisker Karma's infotainment system. I cannot believe how awful this thing is. For a car that seems to be focused on technology I'm surprised they would release the car with such terrible software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK8MqjagHu8&feature=relmfu

Also of note; the owner was almost in an accident when the mirrors mistakenly retracted on the highway while trying to avoid debris.
Between this, the garage fire, and Consumer Reports having their example die on them, you could say that Fisker...

:glasses on:

...has bad karma.

Had a go in a Jaguar XJ V8SC today, it's pretty mental. The car is ridiculously fast and delivers the power so smoothly!

Do you guys ever see these in America?

Xun

I had my 2nd driving lesson today, and I seem to be getting the hang of it! :D

I hated the first lesson, but I'm actually starting to really enjoy it now. Also whether or not she was lying to me, she said I was a natural and would probably need less lessons.

I had my 2nd driving lesson today, and I seem to be getting the hang of it! :D

I hated the first lesson, but I'm actually starting to really enjoy it now. Also whether or not she was lying to me, she said I was a natural and would probably need less lessons.

Keep practicing. The more experience you get behind the wheel the better you will become.
Those driving lessons are worth the time.

Good luck.

Xun

Keep practicing. The more experience you get behind the wheel the better you will become.
Those driving lessons are worth the time.

Good luck.
Thanks man.

I'm really starting to enjoy it, and I'm finally getting used to the clutch.

It certainly feels less alien behind the wheel than the first time.

J-Rzez

Who cares if it's "just a mustang" I hate that argument. For a new car, there is nothing even remotely close to this car performance wise for the price.

Pretty much. You have to give a car respect when it's due, and the GT 500, it's due. Is the interior the same fit/finish/quality that you see in a BMW or Audi for same ballpark figures? Nope. But the money went into that in those cars instead of insane performance like what happened here. Too each their own though.

Zyzyxxz

Who cares if it's "just a mustang" I hate that argument. For a new car, there is nothing even remotely close to this car performance wise for the price.

Not that I'm hating on the Mustang but for the money you could get a CTS-V which I'd take over the Mustang.

ascii42

Not that I'm hating on the Mustang but for the money you could get a CTS-V which I'd take over the Mustang.
Well, there is a bit of a price difference between the two. Something GM must be counting on, because otherwise why would anyone buy a Camaro ZL1?

J-Rzez

Well, there is a bit of a price difference between the two. Something GM must be counting on, because otherwise why would anyone buy a Camaro ZL1?

Looks and brand loyalty, which runs strong in the "American-only" buyers. Even if they're not big GM fans, they may be a Camaro-person, or just like the looks of it more so.

One of the sloppiest stock shifters I ever felt. No reason for a car that much to have a shifter that horrible that you have to get an aftermarket upgrade kit of some sort immediately. Besides, a Caddy interior isn't something to really write home about either compared to Euro counterparts. You can get a CTS-V, but you won't get that monster V8 in the GT 500, so it goes both ways.

There's always the "for that money I could get a *insert car here*" its all preference... But it's always good to have a choice and to some that mustang is a dream.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It's an apples to oranges comparison. I guess they're both fruit.

ascii42

Looks and brand loyalty, which runs strong in the "American-only" buyers. Even if they're not big GM fans, they may be a Camaro-person, or just like the looks of it more so.
Yeah, certainly. And I suppose with the higher horsepower rating and the upgraded MRC technology, the ZL1 is a better performer than the Caddy.

One of the sloppiest stock shifters I ever felt. No reason for a car that much to have a shifter that horrible that you have to get an aftermarket upgrade kit of some sort immediately. Besides, a Caddy interior isn't something to really write home about either compared to Euro counterparts. You can get a CTS-V, but you won't get that monster V8 in the GT 500, so it goes both ways.
I think I could live with only 556 hp.

J-Rzez

Yeah, certainly. And I suppose with the higher horsepower rating and the upgraded MRC technology, the ZL1 is a better performer than the Caddy.

I think I could live with only 556 hp.

I think a lot of us can live with that much heh. My Evo's in a conservative tune right now at 400hp for example, and it's hard to picture having 262hp more than this.

With the ZL1, I think I'd go with that instead of the CTS-Vs at this point. The interior on them didn't feel that great at all, and I think there's many Japanese cars that feel better inside for far less money, and the shifter on those CTS-Vs were garbage last I played around with one at the NYAS still. I'd hope the ZL1's shifter is much tighter.

ascii42

With the ZL1, I think I'd go with that instead of the CTS-Vs at this point. The interior on them didn't feel that great at all, and I think there's many Japanese cars that feel better inside for far less money, and the shifter on those CTS-Vs were garbage last I played around with one at the NYAS still. I'd hope the ZL1's shifter is much tighter.

Perhaps. I still like the way the V's interior looks over the Camaro's, though they have done some things to improve the Camaro's interior since it came out. I tend to not really care what something is made out of if I'm not touching it, as long as it doesn't rattle or squeak. Not sure about the shifter. I've driven the CTS-V sedan and wagon, but both were automatic. When I was at the Atlanta Auto show, I didn't think to try out shifters.

In the end, though, I don't think the interior would be the thing that would sway me either way. It would be the Camaro's visibility issues, as well as its crappy back seat and trunk. With the CTS-V, I'd probably be looking at the wagon first, then the sedan. A ZL1 vs. CTS-V coupe decision would be harder. Not that I'm looking to spend that much money on a car anyway. For me personally, I'd be looking in the Camaro SS price range, and I'd probably take the Challenger R/T over it. I very nearly did choose between those two, but couldn't bring myself to spend the money.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Had a go in a Jaguar XJ V8SC today, it's pretty mental. The car is ridiculously fast and delivers the power so smoothly!

Yes, they are available here. I test drove the naturally aspirated V8 one on a launch event here. I was not quite as impressed as I thought I'd be. It's a big car, so I thought the V8 there couldn't do anything more than a good V6 in my smaller car already does. They didn't have SC one available at the time though.

Car looked great inside and out though, and was certainly more sporty than what you'd expect from a car that big. Kinda of a small thing, but I really didn't like the display gauges. The LCD they used for them just didn't feel all that high quality, looked as if they were printed on some cheap paper or something.

N-Bomb

I believe I've seen a couple.

Well not accounting for taste, it's spectacular. I don't like new cars though, so I'd just put 'the money' into making an older car faster. Again, no accounting for taste. ;)

Dear me, it appears I have an erection.

But whatever happened to the Alfa Romeo 4c?

Too expensive.

Sidebar: anyone have opinions on light flywheels, ever driven in a car before/after installing one? Impressions?

ascii42

What's this infatuation that people have with driving their La-Z-Boy? It's not a hotel room, it's a car!

What can I say? I like being comfortable. You telling me this doesn't look inviting?
N8Klgl.jpg

And anyway, the CTS's seats aren't particularly comfortable. The Recaro seats in the V probably are once you everything adjusted right. They'll do their job, anyway.

I don't like mustangs. I personally think there are better cars for the same amount of money. American cars I mean. For Instance the CTS-V. Maybe it's because I fear that a 55k car with 600hp will torque steer me into a tree.(I kid :p)

Seriously, last time I jumped into a mustang, I felt intimidated. Hell I sat in an aston martin dbs and I didn't feel that way. I dunno.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Last time I was in a mustang I was scared the suspension was going to clunk itself to death in the rear. America, fuck yeah!

Smokey

Can somebody tell me what this is? It pulled up next to me...I saw Mclaren on the side, but then there were also some type of stickers. And it didn't look like any Mclaren Benz I've seen before. I don't remember Benz Mclaren looking like this, but I could be wrong. Dude also had a helmet looking thing on lol. Soon as he went under the freeway a few blocks down he turned into the Benz dealership. Can also see that the plates are from overseas:

IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

Smokey

Looked it up and there were only 75 every made? $1.1 million ?

well shit

i knew it was something rare though..when I've never seen a car before I knew it was something. was such a weird feeling not being able to recall a car that you are looking atlol

Viperbah

Yeah. My next car. Just as soon as I find one local in the color I want and after I move. Probably this fall or next spring.

Will be sad to see my 2011 GT/CS go, because it's fun as fuck to drive, but really now.

Nice, they are already making 650 rwhp with just a tune, lol.

I might trade my current car in for one eventually. I like to mod my cars and the aftermarket for my car now is pretty shitty. Spend around 1000 bucks for a tune, exhaust and pulley on the GT500....guessing 670-700 rwhp

N-Bomb

Looked it up and there were only 75 every made? $1.1 million ?

well shit

i knew it was something rare though..when I've never seen a car before I knew it was something. was such a weird feeling not being able to recall a car that you are looking atlol

Man. You can't even drive something like that because when you break it, the world is lessened.

Well, I just went and purchased an engagement ring which totally burned my sports car fund.

I was ready to sign the papers on a '13 Mustang GT until last week. Now I am ~$5k less rich, and there is no way I'm adding that much to a car payment.

For ~$26,000 these are my options for buying new:

(order) 2013 Mustang V6 (Base) w/ Performance Pack (upgraded suspension, sticky summer tires)

-or-

(order) 2013 Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ (if allocations available, which I am thinking is VERY unlikely)

-or-

(order) 2013 Camaro 1LS/2LS

Does anyone have other recommendations?

I've test driven the Camaro in an automatic (2LS), and the Mustang GT in a 6MT. Obviously the Mustang had a pair of knots but it's been budget downgraded to the V6 now.

I was sort of impressed by the "i'm in a really different car" feel of the Camaro interior.

Is there even anything out there in the "daily driver sports car" category worth looking at beyond these 3? The WRX is still in MY 2012, and nothing has been discussed about the '13's it seems (not to mention I have a slight aversion to them just because the Impreza is so underwhelming, and this will inevitably be what people assume the car is).

Can somebody tell me what this is? It pulled up next to me...I saw Mclaren on the side, but then there were also some type of stickers. And it didn't look like any Mclaren Benz I've seen before. I don't remember Benz Mclaren looking like this, but I could be wrong. Dude also had a helmet looking thing on lol. Soon as he went under the freeway a few blocks down he turned into the Benz dealership. Can also see that the plates are from overseas:

IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

Holy shit, now that's a rare sighting! There's only 75.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom