• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

So there is a system similar to an OCC that recirculates it back into the oil pan?

I posted a link to one, although it's Subaru-specific. I imagine there are others for other makes.

-That one: http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=91&products_id=191
-'universal', expensive: http://store.crawfordperformance.com/store/products/475

I've heard complaints with 'gunking' from any of these types of devices, but sporadic and not necessarily duplicable to others. YMMV I guess.

and yea I had a good idea what a PCV does and what a catch can does, I was just wondering why you said that the oil is wasted in a catch can setup when it is essentially wasted, if not worse, without a catch can..

I wasn't saying it wasn't wasted in a stock setup. ;)

N-Bomb

Coming up next: :D

zayws.png

ameratsu

anyone know about this, and what they are talking about? does this at all ease the way to get some forbidden imports into the US?

and this whole situation of importing these cars is BS, Why wouldnt the state or the government benefit so much more by charging a couple grand to legalize certain inspected models of cars?

R33s and R34s cant be that dangerous..

not that I worship the cars like so many people do.

Well in Canada, we have a 15 year rule where "classic" cars which are 15 years old by date of manufacture can be imported and driven after they meet safety guidelines (inspection, DRLs, some places emission test). As a result you will see r32/r33 skylines, early evos, japanese mini trucks, and a random assortment of other JDM and a few UK cars running around.

As i understand it, the 25 year rule is a similar classic car provision in the states, at which point those sorts of cars can be imported. I don't know the specific rules for importing though.

N-Bomb

No worries. Sorry they're not great, Scotland is currently in the middle of our annual 5 sunny days and I got flare everywhere.

103.jpg

Nice! Thanks again. That's the 3.5" tip? It actually doesn't look too bad! I had to pull the trigger on 3" though. All of the comparisons I did made me think it was a bit better looking. Getting the tip slash-cut/rolled though.

How do you like the sound? Not too loud either, from what I've heard?

pootle

Not too loud at all. You can hear it but definitely fine on the motorway. It's very rounded and deep sounding, not like an afterburner or mental loud like a nur spec r.

TylerD

We're making an affordable driver's car! *sends one automatic to dealership* What a joke.

There are 3 FR-S in the OKC metro right now. All 3 autos. No BRZs yet but I might call to see about a test drive sometime this week. Test out the flappy paddles and all that. There is zero chance that I would get an auto but I still want to drive any version of the Toyobaru pretty bad right now.

N-Bomb

Toronto Subaru Club's spring meet this saturday is going to have a BRZ from Subaru Canada there - dunno if there will be test drives or not, but kind of sad I have to miss the event.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yesterday I posted quotes of a bunch of compliments I got on my 370Z while I was cleaning it in the parking lot of my GF's job...many of which included compliments on the rear end and how mean it looked.

But the server '500' crashed and the post never went through.

And today I got a few more compliments with the gorgeous weather NYC had today...so here I am, gloating in N-Bomb's face.

Xun

Had my 3rd driving lesson today, and I felt like I was taking a step back on the progress made in the 2nd lesson.

I know that's natural, but it was a pain not being used to the clutch again (and to a lesser extent the wheel and handbrake). I think partially because we went elsewhere (busier, steeper roads), but also because she was telling me the proper way of working with certain things.

I've got my 4th lesson tomorrow, so hopefully things will start to pick up (by the end of it I'd have done 8 hours of lessons). She reckons by the end of it I'll be able to drive myself home, but we'll see I guess. I was certainly stalling a lot more this lesson (stopping and starting, I'm fine with changing gears), and that made me perform worse since I was worried about doing it again.

It really does feel like I took 2 steps forward with the 2nd lesson, and now 1 step back with the 3rd lesson.

Yesterday I posted quotes of a bunch of compliments I got on my 370Z while I was cleaning it in the parking lot of my GF's job...many of which included compliments on the rear end and how mean it looked.

But the server '500' crashed and the post never went through.

And today I got a few more compliments with the gorgeous weather NYC had today...so here I am, gloating in N-Bomb's face.

I want one. Sooo bad. What year is yours?

I know that's natural, but it was a pain not being used to the clutch again (and to a lesser extent the wheel and handbrake). I think partially because we went elsewhere (busier, steeper roads), but also because she was telling me the proper way of working with certain things.

Do you understand exactly how the clutch and transmission work? Knowing that before I started driving helped me out a ton.

Further, getting good at starting takes practice, you'll get it in time.

Xun

Do you understand exactly how the clutch and transmission work? Knowing that before I started driving helped me out a ton.

Further, getting good at starting takes practice, you'll get it in time.
I think I know.

My biggest problem is my left foot comes off too quickly sometimes, and I don't completely know I'm doing it. The foot seems incapable of subtly working, but this could also partially be because of nerves (my left foot seemed to shake a lot today).

I think I know.

My biggest problem is my left foot comes off too quickly sometimes, and I don't completely know I'm doing it. The foot seems incapable of subtly working, but this could also partially be because of nerves (my left foot seemed to shake a lot today).

Yeah that'll happen. Some of my least smooth starts have always been right as I'm lining up for an autocross run or right after I finish one. I imagine your first few goes at it under the watchful eye of a teacher will rattle your nerves some.

Could also be that you have one of those clutches that's spring assisted. I hate those things and I bet learning on one is a real pain in the ass. They lower the force required to depress the clutch by a lot but they don't do it in a linear fashion and reduce a good deal of clutch feel,;that makes it significantly more difficult to find the point where the clutch just starts to catch.

My last car had one and the clutch would be soft -> stiff -> soft. Drove me crazy until I popped it out so the clutch was very stiff all the way but responsive and linear.

Halvie

Banned
Why would you want burned up oil in your engine? It leaves carbon deposits and clogs your manifold which eventually builds up to rob you of power.

Here's an Audi RS4:

Before:
306245_10150311514748534_191449448533_7929948_4054807_n.jpg

A catch can isn't going to solve carbon build up. Will keep you from getting oil in your piping / fmic (not rs4 related obviously) which makes it worth the cost to me, but you aren't going to see shinny valves from one(DI and not mpi like toyotas).

N-Bomb

You can gloat all you want, dude. If you like it, that's fine. I think the 350 had better lines and the 370 is butt-heavy, that's all.

I think the same thing of any car with that particular design language, not just yours. This isn't something to take personally. :p

Had my 3rd driving lesson today, and I felt like I was taking a step back on the progress made in the 2nd lesson.

It really does feel like I took 2 steps forward with the 2nd lesson, and now 1 step back with the 3rd lesson.

Ah, give it time. It's just an experience thing, as it relies a bit on technique and timing. You'll get the hang of it as long as you keep at it. And then it's like riding a bicycle. :)

AlphaSnake

Here's what I've been waiting for, a Subaru BRZ 0-200KPH (122MPH) run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FnnpDofqUc

~27-28 seconds.

That is slow as fuck. To compare, a stock 370Z will do that same run in about 16 seconds (my modded one does it in 14-15 seconds). A stock 350Z does it in about 21 seconds (older DE motors do it in 23). An S2000 does it in 22-23 seconds. An RX8 6MT does it in the same time frame as the BRZ/86 - 27 seconds.

Which leads me to ask once again...why would anyone buy this car?

ascii42

~27-28 seconds.

That is slow as fuck. To compare, a stock 370Z will do that same run in about 16 seconds (my modded one does it in 14-15 seconds). A stock 350Z does it in about 21 seconds (older DE motors do it in 23). An S2000 does it in 22-23 seconds. An RX8 6MT does it in the same time frame as the BRZ/86 - 27 seconds.

I imagine for many of the same reasons people buy Miatas, besides the Miata being a convertible. How long does it take the Miata to reach 200kph?

It's not my type of car, but I understand the appeal of a small, light, tossable car. Pretty much every driving impression I've read has been very favorable.

~27-28 seconds.

This has been explained to you a million times so why bother responding?

And when was the last time you did 120mph? Please give dates/locations so I can forward to the police.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

~27-28 seconds.

To fit a coffee can to the the exhaust and a poorly fitted, unpainted body kit + wing to it.

I imagine for many of the same reasons people buy Miatas, besides the Miata being a convertible. How long does it take the Miata to reach 200kph?

Agreed. If you look at Euro hot hatches it's not slow in comparison. Besides, what can be expected of 2.0l?

They aren't targeting the 370 at all. I imagine this is a dip in to the cheaper hot hatch market to see if they can stir anything up. If it's a positive response, we might be lucky to see something with more power.

Agreed. If you look at Euro hot hatches it's not slow in comparison. Besides, what can be expected of 2.0l?

They aren't targeting the 370 at all. I imagine this is a dip in to the cheaper hot hatch market to see if they can stir anything up. If it's a positive response, we might be lucky to see something with more power.

This argument has been made a bunch of times in this thread already and it always comes down to one side saying "Well it costs as much as this so it should have at least as much power." That's it. That's the whole argument.

Circle T

~27-28 seconds.

Stomping on the gas and seeing how fast a car accelerates isn't the only way people can have fun driving, nor was it the primary directive when these cars were being designed. Since you constantly bring up this car's measured numbers as a main detraction, it would appear that this car is, clearly, not built for someone like you.

This argument has been made a bunch of times in this thread already and it always comes down to one side saying "Well it costs as much as this so it should have at least as much power." That's it. That's the whole argument.

Can't speak for America, but for UK the costs are pretty similar to our range of hatches. Is the next comparison gonna be about the number of seats? :p

ascii42

Can't speak for America, but for UK the costs are pretty similar to our range of hatches. Is the next comparison gonna be about the number of seats? :p
Funny you should bring up the seats. As it turns out, Toyota has an interesting idea of where rear passenger's legs should go.
CFx2Z.jpg

~27-28 seconds.

Wow...that is kinda slow..

I know nobody should be going 120mph..
but I can say the same thing about people doing crazy turns and letting the tire lose on public streets...

ameratsu

Can we stop beating the dead horse? Alpha is going to hate on the brz/fr-s because it doesn't meet his narrow definition of what a car like that should be. Other people might be okay having less ludicrous power than found in other vehicles in favour of other characteristics.

AlphaSnake

Valid argument is valid. Slow car is slow. Slow car is too expensive. Other cars are faster and handle just as well, if not better. This does nothing for the segment but take it steps backwards.

I will shit on this car for a long time.

Dave Inc.: I'm very scared. I make a statement about a slow car being slow, you try to get me arrested as retaliation? Hahaha, wow.

My FR-S just came in at the dealers.

I am selling my 370z after work, and going to pick her up. Will post pictures when I have a chance.

Does gaf not use TinyPic anymore.

Valid argument is valid. Slow car is slow. Slow car is too expensive. Other cars are faster and handle just as well, if not better. This does nothing for the segment but take it steps backwards.

Dave Inc.: I'm very scared. I make a statement about a slow car being slow, you try to get me arrested as retaliation? Hahaha, wow.

You won't find anything in the price range of a BRZ/FR-S with the handling characteristics it has but more power.

You can find something that is faster, but there will be compromise elsewhere. Usually in price.

The closest thing for price/performance and corner-ability is the Mustang V6 w/ Performance Pack, and I think Motor-trend did a pretty fair and comprehensive comparison between the two cars.

Mustang: more gusto, more body roll, less fun

BRZ: slower overall, faster in the corners, more fun

The Miata MX-5 is pretty much the only thing in the same class/price range, but of course it only comes as a convertible. What other car do you know about that I don't?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/16/gazoo-racing-drums-up-twincharged-320-horsepower-toyota-gt86/
320hp FT86

you can complain about slow all you want, but the aftermarket is going to blow up with this car.

this is the perfect car for enthusiasts, start out cheap with a huge aftermarket catalog to chose from to make the car yours, its the same philosophy that I have with my GC Impreza, I am responsible for the performance the car is to put out.... when I have the money that is....

Here's the concept car for the Next Aston Martin DBS:

7268636992_4149e85487_h.jpg

And Youtube video of the car:

Youtube

I like the more aggresive approach, the 6l v12 sounds as good as ever... but wasn't Mercedes supposed to provide engines to AM?

I'd like a 6.3 lt AMG v8 in the next vantage!

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/16/gazoo-racing-drums-up-twincharged-320-horsepower-toyota-gt86/
320hp FT86

you can complain about slow all you want, but the aftermarket is going to blow up with this car.

this is the perfect car for enthusiasts, start out cheap with a huge aftermarket catalog to chose from to make the car yours, its the same philosophy that I have with my GC Impreza, I am responsible for the performance the car is to put out.... when I have the money that is....

I don't think 28k is that cheap...but yeah no doubt aftermarket support will eat this up....but hopefully it wont be the same as the other scions...

N-Bomb

BRZ + Supercharger = faster, a good $7000+ cheaper, and better looking than fishheadcowbumcar.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Here's the concept car for the Next Aston Martin DBS:

7268636992_4149e85487_h.jpg

And Youtube video of the car:

Youtube

I like the more aggresive approach, the 6l v12 sounds as good as ever... but wasn't Mercedes supposed to provide engines to AM?

I'd like a 6.3 lt AMG v8 in the next vantage!

All over my tits.

BRZ + Supercharger = faster, a good $7000+ cheaper, and better looking than fishheadcowbumcar.

You do realize how expensive an aftermarket supercharger will be, right?

TylerD

In with the new. :)

sztQ2.jpg

Congrats on your whiteout FR-S. I called around to the dealers today and none of them are actually outside of the showroom and available for test at this time.

I hope the perception is that it is slow and that helps to keep away a good chunk of people that are going to end up wrecking them and raising the insurance to ridiculous heights.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
To go sideways fast, not forwards.

99% of the people that buy this car have no idea how to do that and never will have the opportunity to do that. Going to track day twice a year isn't the same thing as being a race car driver.

I don't know why everyone's gotta shit on the Mustang whenever this car gets brought up. It's not that particular car's fault its significantly faster in every real way other than the magic Mario Kart race course which consists of nothing but crazy turns/

I still can't fathom that people say, "yeah but if you spend an extra $7,000 totally overhauling everything about Car A you can be just as fast as Car B!" with a totally straight face.

kehs

Banned
99% of the people that buy this car have no idea how to do that and never will have the opportunity to do that. Going to track day twice a year isn't the same thing as being a race car driver.

I don't know why everyone's gotta shit on the Mustang whenever this car gets brought up. It's not that particular car's fault its significantly faster in every real way other than the magic Mario Kart race course which consists of nothing but crazy turns/

I'd say you spend a larger chunk of time shifting directions than you do you straight lining to 210 mphs.

Angry Grimace

I'd say you spend a larger chunk of time shifting directions than you do you straight lining to 210 mphs.

Uh, where? This theoretical race course where having twice as much power isn't enough to compensate for lesser cornering ability?

I like how anti-horsepower Guy's argument always breaks down to theoretical arguments about race courses that look like drag strips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom