• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what power is to me? Safety. Being able to quickly avoid an asshole on the street, or someone who is about to T-bone you as he's about to run a stop sign, or safely merge on a highway with a very short entrance ramp (hello NYC). Moreover, I find slower cars more dangerous to drive fast or attempt to drive fast. A lot of people who want take a car up to some speed get into accidents because it takes too damn long for some of these cars to reach those speeds.

Let's say someone wants to do a quick sprint from 60-100 on an empty highway just for the hell of it and then slow it back down to 60. A normal car will take 15 seconds to make that sprint; the guy starts accelerating, he's breaking the speed limit for 15 seconds. A sports car with 450HP will take all of...3 seconds. That's 12 seconds of time that person will NOT be driving at 70, 80, and 90 MPH. He's broken the speed limit for 3 seconds and is on the brakes back at 60.

It may sound absolutely odd, but it makes perfect sense if the car is behind the wheels of someone with half a brain. That's just my train of thought, though.

What is this I don't even.

There are certainly arguments to be made for power giving you a measure of safety but "I can do 100mph in less time" isn't one of them, and I very much doubt there are any emergency actions you can take that are safer at 500hp than at 300hp (unless your car weighs 4000+lbs).

ascii42

You know what power is to me? Safety. Being able to quickly avoid an asshole on the street, or someone who is about to T-bone you as he's about to run a stop sign, or safely merge on a highway with a very short entrance ramp (hello NYC). Moreover, I find slower cars more dangerous to drive fast or attempt to drive fast. A lot of people who want take a car up to some speed get into accidents because it takes too damn long for some of these cars to reach those speeds.
I think nimble handling is more likely to get you out of trouble than power in most cases.

I think nimble handling is more likely to get you out of trouble than power in most cases.

what is this nimble handling more responsive stuff people keep saying and what car?

There are cars with decent power and that handles well too...

no power doesn't mean = nimble/handles well/more responsive...

I actually believe that sports cars with alot of HP actually have better suspensions than less sporty cars.

ascii42

He is Canadian. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but as soon as I heard the word layoot instead of layout i knew.

Looks like a nice big ass car.

edit: holy crap that touch screen is laggy
Yeah. It'll be kind of embarrassing if the virtual version included in the iPad app runs better than the actual version in the car.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
what is this nimble handling more responsive stuff people keep saying and what car?

I actually believe that sports cars with alot of HP actually have better suspensions than less sporty cars.

They most certainly do. They have to be tailored to be able to withstand the amount of power being put down to each wheel, and then stiffen the hell out of the chassis to not go absolutely sideways at even the slightest flick of the wheel.

As someone else mentioned, 5.0 Mustangs with the track pack will perform identically to an E92 M3 on a track - it's not just about the muscle and the power. There is a whole ton of sophistication in suspension geometry that balances out all of that power - and we're talking about a car that has a live-rear axle of all things outdated. Hell, Corvettes are some of the best handling cars in the world and they're still on leaf springs.

You can have an absolutely razor sharp machine with a ton of power. So I agree, I'm getting tired of people saying "but it handles well!" Yes, it does...but other cars (in the same price bracket, new or used) handle just as well with more power to boot without overwhelming you with power, not in my opinion at least. Plus, the BRZ's steering is slowly being criticized for being too loose/soft and artificial, because it's electric, as opposed to a standard pump power steering.

N-Bomb

More power is usually a crutch for a heavy car, these days. And yes, you can find powerful cars that handle well, but often either the ride is crap.

And you're right that lack of power doesn't mean anything other than a lack of power. This is why we have the Corolla and Civic and Smart Car.

HOWEVER, I dare you to find one Euro luxosedan that can corner anywhere near as well as an Exige. Power will only benefit you on the straights, it's largely wasted/unused in the turns.

Great handling cars that don't have gobs of horsepower:

-Mazda Protege MP3
-Mazdaspeed MX-5
-S2000
-Toyota MR2
-Ford Focus SVT
-Mini Cooper S
-and now the Toyobaru as well (just to name a few)

More power is usually a crutch for a heavy car, these days. And yes, you can find powerful cars that handle well, but often either the ride is crap.

And you're right that lack of power doesn't mean anything other than a lack of power. This is why we have the Corolla and Civic and Smart Car.

HOWEVER, I dare you to find one Euro luxosedan that can corner anywhere near as well as an Exige. Power will only benefit you on the straights, it's largely wasted/unused in the turns.

-Mazda Protege MP3
-Mazdaspeed MX-5
-S2000
-Toyota MR2
-Ford Focus SVT
-Mini Cooper S

that's kinda contradicting...you say heavy power car handles well, but often either ride like crap, but then you mention the Exige?

have you driven an Exige? that car rides pretty dayam rough on the public road.

also why would you compare that to a Euro Luxosedan? there different purpose car...

might as well compare it to an Ariel atom.

AlphaSnake

-Mazda Protege MP3
-Mazdaspeed MX-5
-S2000
-Toyota MR2
-Ford Focus SVT
-Mini Cooper S

Most of the cars you listed there ride rough as hell. So you're odd theory of power+handling=rough ride is shattered. Some of the fastest cars I've driven, the ones I listed, ride as comfortable as your everyday sport-sedan, some even softer. These cars have suspensions that are sophisticated, high-tech, and highly engineered to be multi-capable.

So the equation is actually: power+handling=great ride.

Also, power is wasted on turns? Dude, what are you talking about? Going through a turn faster, but primarily being able to come out of the apex faster is the entire point of power not being wasted with a capable chassis. You make it seem like people just mash the throttle through a corner or something and just drift or spin out? If you take two of the same cars, one with 200HP and one with 300HP, and they both go into a turn at the same speed, the 300HP car will not only pull through that turn faster, but also pull out of it much faster, as well. How exactly that's wasted power is beyond me.

The same applies to more powerful supercars that have ludicrous suspensions, tires, and torque-vectoring differentials that are applying all of that power evenly between each wheel or all 4 wheels.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Automotive GAF.

So, my Civic got nailed by a Taxi. Gonna get it fixed, and using my medical settlement for buy a new city car.

Is this unmanly?

fiat500abarth-31webopt.jpg

AlphaSnake

Automotive GAF.

So, my Civic got nailed by a Taxi. Gonna get it fixed, and using my medical settlement for buy a new city car.

Is this unmanly?

Pretty cool car in black/red. Girly in white/red. My GF's neighbor has one in white/red...it does sound surprisingly nice.

ascii42

Automotive GAF.

Is this unmanly?

I don't think so. Especially in that color scheme. I like the Fiat, the vehicle's got a lot of charm. I rode in the back of a regular Fiat 500 at the Atlanta Auto Show while my dad drove it (not exactly comfortable). I kind of wish I'd driven it as well, but I wanted to drive the Chrysler 300 SRT before they closed down for the day. I'll bet the Abarth is a blast to drive.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I'd wait for some longer term reliability ratings. It is a Fiat after all.

Get a FRS:p

Yeah, but with trade in of the Civic and my settlement, I won't have car payments.

Man, I'm fucking the taxi company for my medical settlement.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you good sir. I am super excited. :)

Out with the old.
REZbal.jpg

In with the new. :)

sztQ2.jpg
Looks great, congrats!
didn't follow the thread on a regular basis, which one did you get (AT/MT)? how tall does it feel?

OT for the "bigger is better" crowd:
having driven a Mk6 GTI on the praised Autobahn as my daily drive for 72.000 kilometers now, there were only three (!) instances or opportunities to redline the car for more than a few seconds. Most of the time, it feels like I am overpowered in traffic, the GTI feels like just a little above idle speed. Even in a country without a general speed limit.

The GT 86 appeals to me because from what I read, you won't HAVE to go fast to have fun with it. And it looks just beautiful.

Just my opinion.

N-Bomb

that's kinda contradicting...you say heavy power car handles well, but often either ride like crap, but then you mention the Exige?

Just using an extreme example of a light car with less power to a heavy one with more.

And yes, it'll ride like crap on a road, but so do many of these recent exotics and high-power cars whose suspensions are tuned to tackled the Nurburgring rather than real roads.

Most of the cars you listed there ride rough as hell. So you're odd theory of power+handling=rough ride is shattered. Some of the fastest cars I've driven, the ones I listed, ride as comfortable as your everyday sport-sedan, some even softer. These cars have suspensions that are sophisticated, high-tech, and highly engineered to be multi-capable.

I'll take the ride in the Focus SVT over that in an XKR any day. The main argument, anyway, was cornering, not ride. All things being equal, lighter cars corner better. Bottom line. Can't argue. Physics.

Also, power is wasted on turns? Dude, what are you talking about? Going through a turn faster, but primarily being able to come out of the apex faster is the entire point of power not being wasted with a capable chassis.

Okay, your car can do 0-60 in 2s, top speed of 250mph. Your slalom speed is only 71mph, which is ~2mph more than the lighter car with half the power. Maybe you can pull a couple hundredths of a G more in roadholding.

Where is all your power now? It's in the grass with you, if you try to use it all while cornering.

There's a point where a car is underpowered in a turn, yes, but past the point where it can squeeze all of that out, it's only useful in a straight line.

You make it seem like people just mash the throttle through a corner or something and just drift or spin out? If you take two of the same cars, one with 200HP and one with 300HP, and they both go into a turn at the same speed, the 300HP car will not only pull through that turn faster, but also pull out of it much faster, as well. How exactly that's wasted power is beyond me.

Not if it's exceeding its roadholding capabilities with that power.

No one is saying power is bad to have, the argument is that lack of power does not make a car crap or un-fun.

having driven a Mk6 GTI on the praised Autobahn as my daily drive for 72.000 kilometers now, there were only three (!) instances or opportunities to redline the car for more than a few seconds. Most of the time, it feels like I am overpowered in traffic, the GTI feels like just a little above idle speed. Even in a country without a general speed limit.

Hear hear!

Looks great, congrats!
didn't follow the thread on a regular basis, which one did you get (AT/MT)? how tall does it feel?

The GT 86 appeals to me because from what I read, you won't HAVE to go fast to have fun with it. And it looks just beautiful.

Just my opinion.

I got the AT. It feels very low, I mean really low. I am 6'1 and I fit like a glove in the front seat.

Onkel C I have driven many cars in my life. I am 35. I have never experienced anything like this before. I can't even put it into words.

I feel like I am glued to the road. This is not going to make sense to anyone, but when I was 16 and sat in an RX-7 for the first time, I had a feeling that I never ever had before. I got that same feeling when I drove this car.

I am not talking about speed. I am talking about what my mind and body was feeling. Simply amazing. There is a real reason almost every review out there has praised it as something so special.

It really is special. I am in Fkn love.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I got the AT. It feels very low, I mean really low. I am 6'1 and I fit like a glove in the front seat.

Onkel C I have driven many cars in my life. I am 35. I have never experienced anything like this before. I can't even put it into words.

I feel like I am glued to the road. This is not going to make sense to anyone, but when I was 16 and sat in an RX-7 for the first time, I had a feeling that I never ever had before. I got that same feeling when I drove this car.

I am not talking about speed. I am talking about what my mind and body was feeling. Simply amazing. There is a real reason almost every review out there has praised it as something so special.

It really is special. I am in Fkn love.
yeah, yeah, now just gotta convince my fleet manager to lease one :p
odd request: could you take a pic standing next to the car? i'm 6.2, would be a nice reference. I still can't picture out how low the FR-S is.

anyone know about this, and what they are talking about? does this at all ease the way to get some forbidden imports into the US?

and this whole situation of importing these cars is BS, Why wouldnt the state or the government benefit so much more by charging a couple grand to legalize certain inspected models of cars?

R33s and R34s cant be that dangerous..

not that I worship the cars like so many people do.

Where would you like to start? Long story short, Grey market vehicles are considered contraband (thus ICE going around looking for non bonded Skylines owners).

There was a company that did the proper crash testing in order to get the car legalized for street use in the US. One of the owners got shady and fudged a lot of the paper work to get more cars legal.

Word got out and the feds cracked down and the hunt was on. There's a reason why bonded/DOT skylines fetch a LOT more money then the grey market versions.

You can roll the dice and have a shop sneak one in and register it in a State that doesn't give a crap, but you're taking a big gamble with your money. That being said, I know people rolling like that with grey market cars (S15, R33, R34, Older Evos) but they live in States that don't care/ use loop holes (VA, FL, Etc).

I've been following the issue since I'm a big Skyline guy and plan to own a R33 or R34 in a few years (I live in Canada BTW). I have a few friends who own RHD imports, and I'm planning to import a S15 Silvia next year.

Just using an extreme example of a light car with less power to a heavy one with more.

Your argument is null then...

Why mention an extreme example of a great handling car, but crap on high powered car saying it ride like crap?

Have you driven some of the car you're crapping about? Ex. The z06 shit will out handle all the cars you listed, PLUS its pretty dayam civilize on public road. A porches 911 gt2 rs is actually a better ride than the exige....

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why does everyone think no power = equals awesome suspension and handling.

there are plenty of cars that has both power and handling!

Because they're in love with the idea of making a cheap car super awesome through kickin rad mods to the point that any purpose built fast car sucks no matter what it is. It's the same reason people put wings on Honda Civics. I mean, for fuck's sake, we're arguing whether the 370Z is a boat. Take any car that isn't a Lotus to these guys and its automatically a Dodge Challenger.

People are also ignoring the skill factor. I'd say it's much easier for someone to go to the track in a slower, better handling car. It's also better for the street for that reason.

Basically to each their own.

Now lets all universally bash the Camry.

Your argument is null then...

Why mention an extreme example of a great handling car, but crap on high powered car saying it ride like crap?

Have you driven some of the car you're crapping about? Ex. The z06 shit will out handle all the cars you listed, PLUS its pretty dayam civilize on public road. A porches 911 gt2 rs is actually a better ride than the exige....

A GT2 RS will also make an attempt at murdering its driver if it is in the least bit mishandled, and youtube is full of corvette drivers laying drag and shooting off sideways into a pole.

N-Bomb

You can always easily add power. Try getting rid of weight past a certain point.

A lighter car with less power is ALWAYS a better base to build a funkar on.

A GT2 RS will also make an attempt at murdering its driver if it is in the least bit mishandled, and youtube is full of corvette drivers laying drag and shooting off sideways into a pole.

Related: http://youtu.be/IdLHAqL8KJw

If you take two of the same cars, one with 200HP and one with 300HP, and they both go into a turn at the same speed, the 300HP car will not only pull through that turn faster, but also pull out of it much faster, as well. How exactly that's wasted power is beyond me.

this arguement is BS, because in his argument he isnt comparing the same car with different power, obviously the car with more power is going to come out on top if they are identical otherwise..... although if you put more power into a car without upgrading the brakes/suspension then your effectively hampering the handling of the car, more time to break more of a chance to lose control

most of the time when a car has more power in stock form it has more weight to handle the power, and thats what we are talking about.

Being connected to the road and feeling everything is very important. too many people just want huge amounts of power in heavy cars that go in a straight line, being disconnected from it all.

People are also ignoring the skill factor. I'd say it's much easier for someone to go to the track in a slower, better handling car. It's also better for the street for that reason.

Basically to each their own.

Now lets all universally bash the Camry.

Nah I say lets bash the Accord.

iamblades

I love how 200 hp is suddenly nothing.. The HP inflation of modern cars has distorted people's perceptions.

I also love how people compare how people try to compare a car to a car that costs $10k more new.

The BRZ/FRS is a shitload of fun for the money. What is wrong with designing and engineering a car not to have certain numbers on a spec sheet, but instead just making something fun to drive?

Because something like a The genesis coupe or Buick GS turbo 4 would not detract from the car's drivability but would enhance its speed. No one is suggesting that a hemi be dropped in.

I love how 200 hp is suddenly nothing.. The HP inflation of modern cars has distorted people's perceptions.

I also love how people compare how people try to compare a car to a car that costs $10k more new.

The BRZ/FRS is a shitload of fun for the money. What is wrong with designing and engineering a car not to have certain numbers on a spec sheet, but instead just making something fun to drive?
When the average car weighs about 4,000lbs, yeah 200 hp is becoming nothing

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You can always easily add power. Try getting rid of weight past a certain point.

Related: http://youtu.be/IdLHAqL8KJw

It's nonsense to claim you can "just add power." At a certain point it costs more than the car and even assuming it costs you less to add the parts, it actually costs you more because the car's value doesn't increase with addons, it decreases.

I've driven both the GT2 and the exige......both cars can hurt you, but I actually feel safer on the GT2

Fun car seem to be subjective...

Your basically saying that mod a lighter car and it will be more fun?

what about wheel base? chassis rigidity? suspension dynamics? ex. a light car like the old AE86 cant even handle that much power without being unstable to drive. This is true for most light weight cars.

N-Bomb

Fun car seem to be subjective...

Your basically saying that mod a lighter car and it will be more fun?

what about wheel base? chassis rigidity? suspension dynamics? ex. a light car like the old AE86 cant even handle that much power without being unstable to drive. This is true for most light weight cars.

Yes it is subjective, but I think most of us can agree that a fun car is one that you can take to near its (and your own) limits, in not just linear but lateral acceleration, and feel decent G forces in.

A shit car can be REALLY fun/exciting, but the bigger a car is, the less fun it is because it's missing that feeling of connectedness or danger. That damping inherent in heavier/bigger/more refined cars is what kills the feeling of fun, often.

When ads tout 'direct'ness, precision, feedback, etc... they're saying that the engineers tried to capture the essence of what 'driving excitement' (RIP Pontiac) is.

Wheelbase is less important than grip/progressive loss of, chassis rigidity is a good thing to a point - and that point was passed before the turn of the century. At this point, all that chassis bracing is just making the car heavier. You don't want a mushy, squirelly piece of shit, but at the same time, why not just seam weld everything and build in a roll cage?

The engineering of most cars today should allow them to handle twice their power (on the low end) without many problems.

It's nonsense to claim you can "just add power." At a certain point it costs more than the car and even assuming it costs you less to add the parts, it actually costs you more because the car's value doesn't increase with addons, it decreases.

Well, you can. Intake, exhaust are cheapish, give results. You can get a custom tune done to unlock some potential, run higher octane, bolt on a turbo or supercharger (on the extreme end) - most of these don't require any compromises to other factors such as comfort, handling, styling, storage/seating, etc... Naturally, more power will cost more gas though.

But to bring a heavier car down, you need to remove things. Once you get past easy things like a lightweight battery, spare tire, etc... where do you go? Carbon fiber body parts get expensive real fast, tossing out seats (obvious)... light weight wheels can be expensive. Then there's the fact that bigger cars more often than not have a higher center of gravity, leading to more body roll, or more stiffness in the suspension to counter that.

And once you've lightened the car? You may need to tune your suspension so that it doesn't get bouncy. Meanwhile, you're still probabably not more than 300-400 lbs lighter than when you started, but you've given up on many of the reasons you may have bought that car for.

Yes it is subjective, but I think most of us can agree that a fun car is one that you can take to near its (and your own) limits, in not just linear but lateral acceleration, and feel decent G forces in.

A shit car can be REALLY fun/exciting, but the bigger a car is, the less fun it is because it's missing that feeling of connectedness or danger. That damping inherent in heavier/bigger/more refined cars is what kills the feeling of fun, often.

When ads tout 'direct'ness, precision, feedback, etc... they're saying that the engineers tried to capture the essence of what 'driving excitement' (RIP Pontiac) is.

Wheelbase is less important than grip/progressive loss of, chassis rigidity is a good thing to a point - and that point was passed before the turn of the century. At this point, all that chassis bracing is just making the car heavier. You don't want a mushy, squirelly piece of shit, but at the same time, why not just seam weld everything and build in a roll cage?

The engineering of most cars today should allow them to handle twice their power (on the low end) without many problems.

Well, you can. Intake, exhaust are cheapish, give results. You can get a custom tune done to unlock some potential, run higher octane, bolt on a turbo or supercharger (on the extreme end) - most of these don't require any compromises to other factors such as comfort, handling, styling, storage/seating, etc... Naturally, more power will cost more gas though.

But to bring a heavier car down, you need to remove things. Once you get past easy things like a lightweight battery, spare tire, etc... where do you go? Carbon fiber body parts get expensive real fast, tossing out seats (obvious)... light weight wheels can be expensive. Then there's the fact that bigger cars more often than not have a higher center of gravity, leading to more body roll, or more stiffness in the suspension to counter that.

And once you've lightened the car? You may need to tune your suspension so that it doesn't get bouncy. Meanwhile, you're still probabably not more than 300-400 lbs lighter than when you started, but you've given up on many of the reasons you may have bought that car for.

All your saying are theory.....why can't you give an actual car as example?

what is this magical light car that is so fun?

I've driven a whole range of cars from rust buckets to exotics...rice rockets to race prep. The thing is each car has a different characteristic. You cannot just generally say "light cars are more fun" "heavy car ride like crap" "just add more power"

I've modded cars myself and it feels good tuning to your liking. But that doesn't mean it will be actually be better than a purpose built sports car from the factory. You can't turn a crappy car to something else. I've seen so many example of poorly modded cars were they drive like rattle cans....

Archer

Automotive GAF.

Is this unmanly?

Sorry for your loss, glad you're ok.

How about a Cooper S? Slightly bigger, stronger crash ratings, faster, similar or better MPG.

Sorry for your loss, glad you're ok.

How about a Cooper S? Slightly bigger, stronger crash ratings, faster, similar or better MPG.

Maybe this is silly but I'm honestly tired of the Cooper. We've had, basically, the same little car since 2001 and it's getting a little stale. Okay yes, I love 911s and that makes me a hypocrite but I just don't feel like the Cooper's styling had enough going for it to keep it fresh on its own. The Fiat 500 has that new kick that the Cooper just doesn't.

Yeah, as if it wasn't painfully obvious that he was being sarcastic to show the absurdity of being concerned with 0-120 mph acceleration performance...

this coming from a guy who also want his car to let its tire loose and take it to its limit....

its also absurd to be so concern so much about handling even though the majority won't even take it to 50% of its limit on the public road.

why can't there be a balance of power and handling?

Ha ha you got me, taking what was quite clearly a joke and considering it a serious reflection of my personality.

Edit: To the point, though, I find it seriously odd that you have to ask someone else for an example of a small, lightweight and fun car.

all the theory talk about..

Light car = more fun!

and just add more power to light car = more fun

slap this to that = more fun!

powerful fast car = crap ride.. too heavy!

so I'm wondering what magical car is he talking about...

all the theory talk about..

Light car = more fun!

and just add more power to light car = more fun

slap this to that = more fun!

powerful fast car = crap ride.. too heavy!

so I'm wondering what magical car is he talking about...

Okay I can't speak for other people but I am completely lost as to what you're asking. The gist of what I've seen is: You can get a little more power into a light car and maintain its driving dynamics; trying to significantly lighten a heavier, more powerful car to mimic the driving dynamics of a lighter car will be a huge amount of work and probably ruin the car.

If anyone is really saying that heavier cars with lots of power but a properly tuned chassis and suspension can't be fun...well that's just absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom