• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just went and purchased an engagement ring which totally burned my sports car fund.

I was ready to sign the papers on a '13 Mustang GT until last week. Now I am ~$5k less rich, and there is no way I'm adding that much to a car payment.

For ~$26,000 these are my options for buying new:

(order) 2013 Mustang V6 (Base) w/ Performance Pack (upgraded suspension, sticky summer tires)

-or-

(order) 2013 Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ (if allocations available, which I am thinking is VERY unlikely)

-or-

(order) 2013 Camaro 1LS/2LS

Does anyone have other recommendations?

I've test driven the Camaro in an automatic (2LS), and the Mustang GT in a 6MT. Obviously the Mustang had a pair of knots but it's been budget downgraded to the V6 now.

I was sort of impressed by the "i'm in a really different car" feel of the Camaro interior.

Is there even anything out there in the "daily driver sports car" category worth looking at beyond these 3? The WRX is still in MY 2012, and nothing has been discussed about the '13's it seems (not to mention I have a slight aversion to them just because the Impreza is so underwhelming, and this will inevitably be what people assume the car is).

There is only 1 answer. Toyobaru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ascii42

Well, I just went and purchased an engagement ring which totally burned my sports car fund.

I was ready to sign the papers on a '13 Mustang GT until last week. Now I am ~$5k less rich, and there is no way I'm adding that much to a car payment.

(order) 2013 Mustang V6 (Base) w/ Performance Pack (upgraded suspension, sticky summer tires)

-or-

(order) 2013 Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ (if allocations available, which I am thinking is VERY unlikely)

-or-

I've test driven the Camaro in an automatic (2LS), and the Mustang GT in a 6MT. Obviously the Mustang had a pair of knots but it's been budget downgraded to the V6 now.

I was sort of impressed by the "i'm in a really different car" feel of the Camaro interior.

Is there even anything out there in the "daily driver sports car" category worth looking at beyond these 3? The WRX is still in MY 2012, and nothing has been discussed about the '13's it seems (not to mention I have a slight aversion to them just because the Impreza is so underwhelming, and this will inevitably be what people assume the car is).

Hmm, when are you planning to purchase? I'd say if you are considering the BRZ and FRS, you should at least wait until you test drive them before purchasing another car.

Apparently the Camaro 2LS trim level was basically created so that they could have a 30mpg hwy model. There's no other real difference between it and the 1LS. The 1LS would be slightly faster and would be come with a manual instead of an automatic. Really the choice there is up to you.

The Genesis Coupe is also worth a look. There's also the Veloster Turbo coming out, which might be fun.

-or-

-or-

CashPrime
(Today, 11:54 AM)

anyway. if you have your thinking muscle car, then dont even think about the BRZ, your going to expect the wrong kind of power.

the BRZ/FRS is going to be great handling, light weight and fun, not straight line fun like you are probably used to...

you still have the 370z as an option, do you HAVE to buy new?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
370Z for the win. Faster than all three cars, handles better than them too. Looks nicer. And has a better looking interior.

Hmm, when are you planning to purchase? I'd say if you are considering the BRZ and FRS, you should at least wait until you test drive them before purchasing another car.

Apparently the Camaro 2LS trim level was basically created so that they could have a 30mpg hwy model. There's no other real difference between it and the 1LS. The 1LS would be slightly faster and would be come with a manual instead of an automatic. Really the choice there is up to you.

The Genesis Coupe is also worth a look. There's also the Veloster Turbo coming out, which might be fun.

The sooner the better on a purchase. I just sent off an inquiry to my Subaru dealership to just entertain the idea.

From what I understand about the 1LS,2LS Camaros are identical other than the transmission. 1LS being manual, 2LS being auto. The 1LT/2LT 1SS/2SS are actually option packages that have nothing to do with transmission (as you can choose MT/AT in each trim level).

370Z for the win. Faster than all three cars, handles better than them too. Looks nicer. And has a better looking interior.

Also STARTS at higher MSRP than my Mustang GT I am not allowing myself to buy. I agree it's a hell of a nice car tho.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The sooner the better on a purchase. I just sent off an inquiry to my Subaru dealership to just entertain the idea.

From what I understand about the 1LS,2LS are identical other than the transmission. 1LS being manual, 2LS being auto. The 1LT/2LT 1SS/2SS are actually option packages that have nothing to do with transmission (as you can choose MT/AT in each trim level).

Also STARTS at higher MSRP than my Mustang GT I am not allowing myself to buy. I agree it's a hell of a nice car tho.

AlphaSnake wins again.

I agree with the post above me.

afraid of used cars?

Edit, on another note...

With Research I have found that it is insanely easy to bump my 3SGTE engine to 300RWHP with stock internals, stock fuel and ignition system and not very much money...

and 300rwhp is like 350hp with 20% drivetrain loss

ameratsu

Got my car running great at 14 psi after fixing a small exhaust leak at the head/exhaust mani. Yay.

Any recommendations for a catch can setup? I need two separate canisters but would prefer the canisters as one unit.

Thanks

Question: anyone ever owned a Lexus SC300 or SC400? I know the body shares many attributes with the Supra, so how well do those handle? or how easy is it to make them handle like a MKIV Supra?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Question: anyone ever owned a Lexus SC300 or SC400? I know the body shares many attributes with the Supra, so how well do those handle? or how easy is it to make them handle like a MKIV Supra?

Top Gear called the 430 one of the worst cars ever -- for what's that worth to you.

Top Gear called the 430 one of the worst cars ever -- for what's that worth to you.

the 430 was a whole different platform, its ugly huge and heavy as hell

but from what I can tell, since the first gen shares its platform with the MKIV supra, its a great project car material..

I am just looking around for a good RWD 4 seater sports car coupe...

I LOVE the feeling of driving my MR2, but that is only 2 seats, and will be a weekend car after a bit of work.

I drove one in Virginia, it is a HORRIBLE car. Avoid at all costs.

what was so horrible? was it a floaty heavy feeling boat of a car?

I agree with the post above me.

afraid of used cars?

Edit, on another note...

With Research I have found that it is insanely easy to bump my 3SGTE engine to 300RWHP with stock internals, stock fuel and ignition system and not very much money...

and 300rwhp is like 350hp with 20% drivetrain loss

I am afraid of used sports/sporty cars because I know how hard they are usually driven. Used family car or suv is a different world from my perspective. I guess the trick is finding the one that was owned by a grandmother who only drove to church on Sundays.

Problem is they all were, at least according to the dealers LOL

Not to mention there isn't a single used 370Z within 200miles of my area for under $30k

AlphaSnake

Actually the initial Top Gear UK review said it was basically driving perfection. Or did you mean the magazine?

I think you're talking about the Ferrari. The Lexus SC430 was a lightyear away from being perfection, or even driving perfection. It had the most bone crushing ride I've ever experienced in a stock car. Shit, most cars slammed on coilovers don't ride as bad as the SC430 did between 2002-2005. Regardless, the question pertained to the 1st generation car from the 90s.

And the answer is that it does make for a good project car. But don't kid yourself thinking you're going to build a Supra out of it unless you have super deep pockets. Find yourself the V8 SC400, clean it up, work on the motor, do the bolt-ons and try to find a tune for it - and leave it at that.

And the answer is that it does make for a good project car. But don't kid yourself thinking you're going to build a Supra out of it unless you have super deep pockets. Find yourself the V8 SC400, clean it up, work on the motor, do the bolt-ons and try to find a tune for it - and leave it at that.

thats exactly what I was thinking, SC400 with a W58 5 speed on coilovers.

then down the line maybe a supercharger

N-Bomb

(not to mention I have a slight aversion to them just because the Impreza is so underwhelming, and this will inevitably be what people assume the car is).

That's one of the things I love about it.

As to the Camaro, it just looks too big and annoying to me. The interior is also rather underwhelming. I'm a big fan of used cars, but there's nothing interesting unless you go pretty far back. Why not get an E46 M3? I dunno. Grab an 3rd gen Mustang 5.0 and pop a supercharger on there.

Seriously? That thing has a bigger ass than J-lo and Oprah combined. The crazyflared wheel arches in the back look ridiculous and cow-like.

Any recommendations for a catch can setup? I need two separate canisters but would prefer the canisters as one unit.

Crawford makes a universal recirculating air/oil separator, although some people have reported gunking issues. Personally, I'm looking into something like this: http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=91&products_id=191

I really don't want to have to deal with emptying a catch-can regularly and losing all that oil. If you're set on a catch-can, almost any speed shop should have em cheap.

AlphaSnake

Seriously? That thing has a bigger ass than J-lo and Oprah combined. The crazyflared wheel arches in the back look ridiculous and cow-like.

It's actually narrower than a Corvette Z06, but okay?

Not much wider than a 350Z, in fact.

AlphaSnake

Dont you lose the oil thats in the catch can anyways? as its burned off for the most part?

Why would you want burned up oil in your engine? It leaves carbon deposits and clogs your manifold which eventually builds up to rob you of power.

Here's an Audi RS4:

Before:
306245_10150311514748534_191449448533_7929948_4054807_n.jpg

After:
317470_10150311515688534_191449448533_7929963_1940982_n.jpg

Many cars have this issue, especially direct injection motors.

N-Bomb

Dont you lose the oil thats in the catch can anyways? as its burned off for the most part?

Well, in a catch can you dump the oil whenever you empty it - the oil is lost. In an AOS, it goes back into the sump.

And no, this is not 'burnt' oil, it's blow-by - oil that gets blown out of the heads or crank case from pressure. This is the same stuff that's churning around there already, so recirculating it back to the sump isn't putting 'dirty' oil back in.

The way the PCV system works by default is that the blow-by (oil and water vapor) get recirculated back into the system via the intake so they can be re-burnt. The problem here is they can gunk up the turbo, and even if not, oil in the combustion chamber will lower apparent octane level.

It's actually narrower than a Corvette Z06, but okay?

Not much wider than a 350Z, in fact.

Should phrase better - not the width of the car, but the width of the wheel arches when compared to the passenger compartment. It's like a Porsche in how it's kind of a

Code:
    ________
 __//______\\__
/ >          < \
|__|--------|__|
Not a fan of that type of design. Reminds me of a steamroller or something.

reilo

Looks good to me, I'll email them.

Your post reminded that I need to install mine... which I bought two years ago.

Oops.

I should probably do a seafoam session and then install the OCC.

EDIT: Dammit... There's an '09 S5 in Ibis White for sale with 12k miles.

AlphaSnake

Your post reminded that I need to install mine... which I bought two years ago.

Oops.

I should probably do a seafoam session and then install the OCC.

EDIT: Dammit... There's an '09 S5 in Ibis White for sale with 12k miles.

Oh, just do it already.

Post pics when you're done. :p

reilo

Oh, just do it already.

Post pics when you're done. :p

I can't afford it just yet :(

If I could I wouldn't be posting right now I'd be out buying it. It's got the red interior, too, which looks super nice.

N-Bomb

Oprah pre-weight gain or post?
KuGsj.gif

Oh geez, I guess I'd have to say fat Oprah.

Sidebar: been trying to decide what kind of exhaust tip I want on my car. The muffler I want comes with a 3.5" by default, but I feel like that might be too obnoxious, and they're willing to size it down to 3" slash-cut if I want. Also, seems foolish to go much bigger than the exhaust piping itself (2.5"). Thoughts?

Pics here

I'm simulating the exhaust tips using a couple containers painted aluminum-y. One is a big pop can that's just a bit smaller than 3", and the other is a plastic container that is about 3.5" and almost looks like it has the rolled lip I'd be getting.

EY703.jpg

A few months ago a mystery Ferrari was photographed in a London dealership with various sources all but confirming it was a one-off creation built for musician Eric Clapton. Now Ferrari has made it official, formally unveiling the car named SP12 EC.

Built in cooperation with Ferrari's Special Projects program and Pininfarina, the SP12 EC is essentially a 458 Italia clad with all new body panels inspired by the 512 BB of the late 1970s and early 1980s, of which Clapton has owned three. The musician reportedly wanted one of Ferrari's 6.0-liter V12s squeezed into the engine bay, but all signs indicate that the 458 Italia's 4.5-liter is still in place. The only thing missing is a set of vintage series wheels from HRE.

Ferrari isn't revealing the price tag of Clapton's one-off SP12 EC, but estimates put the tally right around the £3 million mark, which seems to be the going rate for a bespoke supercar from the Italian manufacturer.

You can read the official announcement from Ferrari below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/26/eric-claptons-ferrari-sp12-ec-officially-unveiled/

ferrari-sp12-ec.jpg

So I put in a call to my Subaru dealer and he said they have one black BRZ in automatic coming in the next couple of weeks, but that I wasn't able to place an order yet.

What's up with that? Is Fuji Heavy Industries not taking orders after the initial shipment?

pootle

Sidebar: been trying to decide what kind of exhaust tip I want on my car. The muffler I want comes with a 3.5" by default, but I feel like that might be too obnoxious, and they're willing to size it down to 3" slash-cut if I want. Also, seems foolish to go much bigger than the exhaust piping itself (2.5"). Thoughts?

That's the box I have on my scooby, I think it fits in well with the rear of the car. I could take a couple of pics if you want to see how it looks fitted?

AcridMeat

Banned
So I put in a call to my Subaru dealer and he said they have one black BRZ in automatic coming in the next couple of weeks, but that I wasn't able to place an order yet.

What's up with that? Is Fuji Heavy Industries not taking orders after the initial shipment?
We're making an affordable driver's car! *sends one automatic to dealership* What a joke.

reilo

The Clapton Ferrari was the topic of its own thread the other day. There were people actually saying it was ugly. :eyeroll:

I'm seeing comments from people saying that the black/dark paint on the bottom is terrible...

/facepalm

But the car ugly? lol.

N-Bomb

That's the box I have on my scooby, I think it fits in well with the rear of the car. I could take a couple of pics if you want to see how it looks fitted?

That would be awesome dude, thanks.

The Clapton Ferrari was the topic of its own thread the other day. There were people actually saying it was ugly. :eyeroll:

I actually think it's one of the better looking Ferraris since the 360.

Culex

Banned
Finally tinted my windows and got a custom tune for my Saab. I'm at 320 HP, and I think I can live with that! Plenty fast for me.

reilo

Finally tinted my windows and got a custom tune for my Saab. I'm at 320 HP, and I think I can live with that! Plenty fast for me.

You can't just throw out "Saab" and not let us know which one!

KUTGW, Uncle Sam....protecting our freedom....

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...rs-crushed?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

A De Pere man has avoided a possible prison sentence by agreeing to the destruction of his two rare Japanese muscle cars, one of which appeared in the movie "The Fast and the Furious."

Authorities seized Justin Beno's two Nissan Skylines in 2010 and intend to crush them this week after giving Beno a brief chance to collect a few personal belongings from them. The two cars together cost Beno about $75,000 and have a sales value of about $100,000, he said.

Well, in a catch can you dump the oil whenever you empty it - the oil is lost. In an AOS, it goes back into the sump.

And no, this is not 'burnt' oil, it's blow-by - oil that gets blown out of the heads or crank case from pressure. This is the same stuff that's churning around there already, so recirculating it back to the sump isn't putting 'dirty' oil back in.

The way the PCV system works by default is that the blow-by (oil and water vapor) get recirculated back into the system via the intake so they can be re-burnt. The problem here is they can gunk up the turbo, and even if not, oil in the combustion chamber will lower apparent octane level.

\
So there is a system similar to an OCC that recirculates it back into the oil pan?

and yea I had a good idea what a PCV does and what a catch can does, I was just wondering why you said that the oil is wasted in a catch can setup when it is essentially wasted, if not worse, without a catch can..

It's especially frustrating, he said, because the cars are just a few years from qualifying for a federal exemption to safety standards granted to imports that are more than 25 years old.

anyone know about this, and what they are talking about? does this at all ease the way to get some forbidden imports into the US?

and this whole situation of importing these cars is BS, Why wouldnt the state or the government benefit so much more by charging a couple grand to legalize certain inspected models of cars?

R33s and R34s cant be that dangerous..

not that I worship the cars like so many people do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom