• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The beast is unleashed... again. 10th anniversary of "Evo moment #37"

Dahbomb

Serious Question, why is Daigo so bad last couple of years in tournaments?

Lack of reflexes because he is getting older?

Lack of innovation in his playstyle?

Didn't care anymore for competitive fighting?

Daigo is a leyend in SF scene, it's a shame he didnt get in the final 8 of this year's evo.
He got blown up by Infiltration in the previous EVO because he felt that Infiltration had been studying up on him at tournaments. So because of that he limited his tournament attendance greatly and just practiced at the arcades (where he was ranked #1 Evil Ryu player) so that he could keep his strength relatively hidden. That didn't work out so well as at EVO he wasn't looking tournament sharp.

Daigo is a leyend in SF scene, it's a shame he didnt get in the final 8 of this year's evo.

What? No. Underperforming occasionally isn't a disaster, and more players are also great these days. People are so quick to talk about downfalls it's like they love the narrative.

Zukuu

Banned

He is not bad lol. He still places high and leaves most opponent in the dust. He is just human. No one can win forever. There are also match ups, newfound stuff, better characters, daily performance, he picks new charcatcers up, new iterations of the game, amazing new players etc

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Did you miss the Xian exhibition a few months ago?

Xian wins EVO, and gets OBLITERATED by Daigo in a FT10.

Musan

What do you think it was like to be in that audience? Must've been magical.

I was in the audience that year, since I was competing in Soul Calibur 2. Watching the parry, we all were standing up and giving an ovation, but since I was still relatively new to 2d fighters, I didn't think it was absolutely mindblowing. Also, Daigo had to go play K.O. in the grand finals, where he eventually lost. It was only in retrospect and after many years did I see how amazing that moment was. It pretty much cemented much interested in the FGC thereafter, as I continue to watch FGC tourneys regularly.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's an amazing moment, but I ask this as a total layman to fighting games: can you parry like that out of pure luck? Or does it require perfect knowledge of the system?

Imm0rt4l

He's not playing bad, he's just not infallible. He's still more consistent than probably any other top player save for maybe Infiltration right now. It also doesn't help that he's been playing Ryu since 2009, a character who is pretty unremarkable. He's still the number 1 player and as such he has a big target on his back. With the advent of youtube and the resurgence of fighting games, everyone is studying his play. If everyone is watching you intently, I'd imagine it would be that much harder to stay at the top, which he's still managed to do.

Zukuu

Banned
It's an amazing moment, but I ask this as a total layman to fighting games: can you parry like that out of pure luck? Or does it require perfect knowledge of the system?
You can't. It requires extreme strict timing, multiple times in a row and of course a deep knowledge of the game.

WarRock

One hit or two?Surely. 17 hits in that speed, with the last one having to jump first? No way.

Codeblue

I'm not sure it's Daigo getting worse. He's still doing well in Topanga if I'm remembering correctly.

Street Fighter at Evo is just crazy stacked.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Both. You can have the knowledge, but you probably won't parry 100% of the attack 100% of the time. You may make a human-error/mistime and eat a part of the super and lose.

Daigo "got lucky" but at same time had the cool calm reserve to pull the parry and the parry timing off without a hitch.

Dahbomb

Reasons why Daigo didn't play top 8 this year at EVO.

*It was a new game so there was going to be a lot of wonkiness in terms of players adjusting to a new game with new strats/match ups. Most people were expecting upsets any way, Daigo just happened to be on the wrong end of it.

*SF4 level of play is pretty damn high and at the top there are a ton of players who can beat any other player depending upon match ups. Player A can beat Player B can beat player C who can beat A etc. Daigo is a top SF4 player no doubt about it but there are about fifty other really strong "top" players as well who can legitimately take EVO.

*Player match up also matters but character match ups matter a lot as well. Luffy running into 3 Fei Longs on the road to EVO definitely helped him out as did a Sagat GF (but that doesn't at all take away from his accomplishment).

*The reasons I mentioned before about Daigo wanting to keep things on the down low so he doesn't get downloaded.

Valentus

He's not playing bad, he's just not infallible. He's still more consistent than probably any other top player save for maybe Infiltration right now. It also doesn't help that he's been playing Ryu since 2009, a character who is pretty unremarkable. He's still the number 1 player and as such he has a big target on his back. With the advent of youtube and the resurgence of fighting games, everyone is studying his play. If everyone is watching you intently, I'd imagine it would be that much harder to stay at the top, which he's still managed to do.

If i remember, in 2011 and/or 2012, Daigo switched to Yun, and did pretty well, but then switched back to Ryu, and in 2013 lost in QF, and now didnt even get in top 8.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think my favorite FGC moments are Ageojoe blowing up Champ's Phoenix twice with different characters at FR and Justin vs ChrisG last year in Marvel.

Like everyone said, perfect knowledge. To me the MOST impressive part is the final kick, which is normally an overhead. To parry it he had to jump then parry it. The timing on his counter is textbook.

Imm0rt4l

If i remember, in 2011 and/or 2012, Daigo switched to Yun, and did pretty well, but then switched back to Ryu, and in 2013 lost in QF, and now didnt even get in top 8.

Yes, Yun is the only character he's been successful with other than ryu, that was almost out of necessity and he admitted to wanting to take a more aggressive style like when he was younger. And now didn't get top 8 undermines just how stiff the competition is at EVO. Are you aware of just how big EVO is especially this year? Also he's started playing E. Ryu fairly recently. If you had an aggregate of all EVO placings since 2009, I'm pretty sure Umehara would still be at the top.

Just an amazing fucking moment. Every time I see the video I get the chills, and I share it with whoever I can.

Good stuff. I don't think it'll ever be surpassed.

In my opinion it's the first parry that is extremely difficult. If you can parry the first hit, you can do the rest without much trouble. It's a fairly simple rhythm after the first hit, and there are much more difficult parries in the game.

What impresses me the most is that he was able to parry that first hit AND keep in mind exactly how he was going to punish it. He completely maximized his damage and that is what is mind boggling to me. I wouldn't have been able to do that. I would've hit the parry and then did a very basic punish that would've left Justin alive. Amazing play by Daigo.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

It's not so much a case of people like Daigo getting worse but the community getting stronger.

Look on YouTube at how many attempts it takes for others to pull it off in the 3rd Strike Online Edition challenge mode... dozens, hundreds of attempts.

And Daigo did it first time in a competitive match. Not only that, he parried the high kick in mid air and finished off with a combo.

Just ridiculously incredible.

Renekton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigo_Umehara <- his tourney record suggests otherwise. Just that EVO is a fickle mistress like SBO.

Lots of amazing players didn't make top 8 this year, even Gamerbee, Xian, Xiaohai, Infiltration and K-Brad. The USF4 release schedule has been a disaster for top pros, with execution powerhouses Sako, K-Brad, Tokido and ChrisG dropping combos frequently.

It also can't be age, Sako looks older than him XD

stn

The parry is awesome but I think it should stay in 3rd Strike. You have to use it effectively to be any good and its very hard to master. I'm a seasoned SF player and I consider being average at 3rd Strike to be quite the hurdle. I also dislike the fact that it neuters fireballs and long-distance play more-or-less. Still, 3rd Strike is one of the most fun games to watch.

SF5 should have a groove system OR maybe something like what Mortal Kombat X is doing: being able to select different variants of each character.

dommynick

Was any fellow Gaffer there in-person?

I was there. It was even more crazy in person than in the video. It's kind of hard to tell in the video, but Justin was mashing buttons while Daigo was parrying hoping he would screw up.

Like everyone said, perfect knowledge. To me the MOST impressive part is the final kick, which is normally an overhead. To parry it he had to jump then parry it. The timing on his counter is textbook.

The last hit of Chun's SA2 is not an overhead. The reason Daigo jumps and parries it in mid-air is so that he can get maximum damage on the punish by means of the jump roundhouse for the guaranteed kill.

-

To the topic of Daigo's decline: I don't think some people realize how long Daigo has been dominating multiple games. He broke into the scene with Vampire Savior and Street Fighter Alpha 3, and was pretty much a lock for top 3 in any tournament in any game with the word "Street Fighter" in it. He even got top 3 at Tougeki 2003 in Guilty Gear XX and won it all at Evolution. Competition has just gotten so much more fierce, with more high quality players, and the general level of play at the top being closer than ever. Before Infiltration, the thought of a non-Japanese or US player winning a major in a mainline Street Fighter game, from South Korea no less, was pretty unthinkable. Finishing "only" top 8 or top 16 in a super stacked tournament like Evolution is still a great accomplishment, just skewed by the expectation that Daigo wins any tournament he enters.

What? No. Underperforming occasionally isn't a disaster, and more players are also great these days. People are so quick to talk about downfalls it's like they love the narrative.

i'm barely into the FGC but it's my understanding that the competition is just that fierce and widespread that not only are Top 8s practically up in the air every time (i.e. - When they say 'everyone is equally matched' they're not kidding, sometimes it just comes down to that 1% of difference between two opponents), but there's always some random dude from nowhere who's been practicing unknown tech for months and unleashes it on an unsuspecting field.

Tekniqs

People were writing him off somewhat after evo last year. Then he proceeds to demolish xian and infiltration in their FT10 sets. Then he goes to collect bodies at dream hack. He's still a threat to win every tournament he enters.

Kind of bad luck that he ran into Fchamp so early. Dude's had his number since SCR. Why didn't he just counter pick with Yun? His entire weekend could have been so much different had he swallowed his pride and used Yun to blow up Sim.

NEO0MJ

i'm barely into the FGC but it's my understanding that the competition is just that fierce and widespread that not only are Top 8s practically up in the air every time (i.e. - When they say 'everyone is equally matched' they're not kidding, sometimes it just comes down to that 1% of difference between two opponents), but there's always some random dude from nowhere who's been practicing unknown tech for months and unleashes it on an unsuspecting field.

Yeah, the game has exploded in popularity during the last 7 years, and the internet made it really easy for people to learn new techniques and strategies.

Kind of bad luck that he ran into Fchamp so early. Dude's had his number since SCR. Why didn't he just counter pick with Yun? His entire weekend could have been so much different had he swallowed his pride and used Yun to blow up Sim.

He couldn't bare to switch Evil Ryu after he kept talking for so long about how amazing and fun he was. Plus even during interviews he said he wouldn't switch him during the tournament. What really slayed me though was when he lost to a player called Shin Akuma 666 XD
Of course, that was John Choi in disguise. Still, it was a lot of fun seeing Daigo lose to his old main who he said was worthless now.

Though really, a lot of top players refused to counter pick this EVO.

evolution

Had daigo not run into fchamp, I think he would've placed much higher. I wasn't suprised when I heard he lost to him. Fchamp has beaten him before. His dahlsim is just really good. Daigo is still amazing though, he just ran into two people that have a lot of experience against him.

I don't follow competitive gaming at all, and I hardly know any names of the people involved. But I still watched this years ago and am still amazed by it every time I see it. Great post, I recently read an article (probably by Seth Killian) about what was likely going through Justin Wong and Daigo's minds as they were playing. It was pretty interesting and made me wish I could play Street Fighter somewhat competently.

HeelPower

What? Yes it is still an impressive moment. Justin was pretty much a sure-bet on winning since he had life-lead and could take the risk of landing the super. The "impressive" bit is Daigo landing the parries perfectly and then retaliating. You can say he "had a lot of practice in arcades," but that's selling the feat short: You can practice all you want but nail the parries 100% of the time? I kinda doubt that.

Not to mention the immense pressure of the moment that's likely to make any regular player breakdown.

This is still amazing as ever.Insane achievement.

Uraizen

Banned

Notice how he stops rushing Justin down after that trade and starts walking back and forth? You have to start parrying before the super flash. So he basically read Justin like a book and knew he would super. Each parry has a different timing to it, too. You can't just keep tapping forward, there's a rhythm to most multiple hitting moves.

synce

The parry is impressive but it's not really what makes the moment special... it's his ability to read and punish

The moment that re-sparked my interest in, Street Fighter. Don't really play anymore/was never good at it though. Still amazes me every time I see it and don't think it will ever be topped.

funny thing is that evo moment 37 is really only super big outside of Japan. 3s arcade monsters in japan were doing that way more often than NA side. Hell, Americans didn't think it was possible in a tournament setting up until that moment. While Japanese players have been doing occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXij18xS0U

edit

Theres a video with justin saying he knew Daigo's only chance was to parry, but didn't think he could do it since nobody in NA could in a tourney
2nd edit
I do think the parry window in 3s is pretty lenient compared to how hard people perceive it to be. Whats impressive are red parries. That shit takes balls.

Top Bottom