• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The beast is unleashed... again. 10th anniversary of "Evo moment #37"

I remember seeing that at one point a few years ago and was surprised.
Actually, even after watching it yet again just now, I still can't believe players like that can counter super/special moves like that so flawlessly, by luck or by skill.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You know I've been seeing this video for years now, but I never really understood what made it so special until i heard the bombcast a few weeks ago where someone (patrick ?) described that what makes this special is that the person isn't just BLOCKING, he's actively parrying each single hit ..

that's .. some pretty superhuman reflexes.

mrpeabody

Rare footage of Daigo actually angry...Justin's turtle style...

crowd's roar midway through the parries when they realise what's happening is amazing

The crowd reaction totally makes the video. They're already screaming and then when he finishes the parry they absolutely lose their minds. And Killian has the sense to just shut the fuck up and let history happen.

Do you know any more pictures, gifs, videos, songs or facts about the moment? Post them!

You might mention that the Justin/Daigo match was only loser's finals. Japanese player Kenji Obata beat Daigo 3-0 to win Third Strike that year.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Why was that mechanic removed anyway?
Like others have said, it's so that every sub-series of Street Fighter plays a little differently. Street Fighter Alpha has custom combos, groove selection, air blocking, multiple supers. Street Fighter 3 has the parry. Street Fighter 4 has ultra and focus.

The parry rewards execution and moment-to-moment reads but de-emphasizes certain long-term strategies and consequences. It's difficult to box your opponent into an unwinnable situation in Street Fighter 3 because his greatest defensive option, the parry, is always available to turn the momentum at any moment. In other versions of Street Fighter, there is more importance placed on things like using the stage itself as a resource (not getting boxed into the corner and maybe even taking small interim damage to fight for position), being very calculated on when to jump and why (can't block in the air in most SF games), using invincible reversals to avoid wake-up damage, etc. In Street Fighter 3, you can turn all of that around in a single moment if you're good at reading the opponent's next single move. Depending on what you value in a fighting game, you could make a good argument for SF3 being a great game or a poor game. It's probably the most polarizing game in the Street Fighter series because its defining mechanic is so different than the rest.

I must have seen the video half a dozen times, but as someone who doesn't follow Street Fighter and only really became aware of e-sports via StarCraft, it wasn't until I read this thread that I understood what was so legendary about the play mechanically. Anyone can appreciate the thrill of a stunning comeback by a player on the ropes, and I always had a sense that whatever Daigo did here was especially challenging to pull off, but I wouldn't have been able to explain it to anybody. An excellent post.

Riposte

If only this had become an EVO moment too ;)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbAL_822D4o

I was going to post this lol. You must subscribe to TheShend if you like watching high level 3S (especially for matches that go beyond the top 3-5 characters).

As awesome at it is, it's more of a fan entry thing than it is one of the most impressive moments. Whenever someone says it's the most amazing thing they've seen in a fighting game, I assume it's just their lack of familiarity speaking, both with the scene and the mechanics. Something along the lines of saying "Bruce Lee is the best hand to hand fighter who has ever lived". Now Justin Wong comebacks, that is the realest EVO moment shit.

fuzzyset

This gif

CvFEYnx.gif

popped up on Reddit a few days ago. The top comment had me smiling. Not even into SF, but that's pure magic.

RS4-

Most of NA didn't give a shit about 3s except for a handful of areas before the 37. Texas, Omaha, Toronto, Cali, and NYC are the few that come to mind.

Haunted

Probably the single most impressive moment in esports.

There's more factors involved in making this the best than just being a great move. An amazing play is at the core of every great moment, but to become legendary it must be done at the right time, in the right circumstances, recorded appropriately. The crowd reaction, it being a losers bracket final at EVO, Seth's commentary, it's all part of making this the greatest. All of that coming together perfectly is what separates it from the other great parries and comebacks posted in this thread.

It's what separates S4's million-dollar dream coil from any of the dozens similar moves that were done during the International 2013, or Squirtle's Archon Toilet against MVP in the Code S finals from other big SC2 plays.

I already thought that moment was amazing but it wasn't until I started playing the game more (inspired by that famous clip) that I found out Daigo would have had to input the initial parry before Justin's Super froze the screen. Made it all the more amazing.

One of my favourite Street Fighter IV moments from Daigo was when he was doing curious crouching hard punches from almost full screen away against a Dhalsim player. Later in the match he connected one against 'sim's stretch hard punch and it turned out he'd been buffering his hard Super which then smashed into Dhalsim while he was still reeling from that near full-screen punch. Wonderful.

Kup

It's an amazing moment, but I ask this as a total layman to fighting games: can you parry like that out of pure luck? Or does it require perfect knowledge of the system?

I'd be inclined to say he perfected this by having an other opponent perform this combo against him time and time again, as he knew this match was a possibilty.

Daigo was one of the only foreigners in that room and playing against a crowd favorite.

Wasn't Justin Wong booed a lot at the time in 3S tournaments because he played so defensively?

Always wondered this since I never played 3S myself, but is Chun's super so fast when activated that Daigo couldn't have simply jumped over it?

Chun's super is too fast for that, parry was Daigo's only option.

Playing any Street Fighter online with players from all over the world will always be "useless" in my opinion if your finest aim is, like for myself, the enjoyment of the unique feeling of an old (and already extinct in my land from more than ten years) arcade 1 vs 1 experience holding a coin...

Console gaming's technology increasing expansion, criminal organizations/casinò hazard game, I will hate you forever for that and never forgive you... NEVER.

CLaddyOnFire

Neo Member
I've never been anything more than decent (and even that's a stretch) at 2-D fighting games, but it has to be the worst feeling ever to be in Justin's shoes. Like, after the first 5 or so parries, you've gotta be thinking, "oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, what's he doing? What? Stop." And then to be taken out with the punish. Of course Justin's a legend among the FGC so I'm sure he handled it well, but still. Gotta be disheartening.

Frog-fu

Banned
I'm not big on fighting games outside of pure casual gaming, but even I have seen this and lost my shit over it. Just epic.

RS4-

Always wondered this since I never played 3S myself, but is Chun's super so fast when activated that Daigo couldn't have simply jumped over it?

Going straight up or forward might cause him to get hit by the one of the early kicks. Even then, the startup is too fast and it'd be pretty much impossible to jump during super flash/reaction.

Newboi

This video made me truly fall in love with the fighting game genre. After watching it, I bought an arcade stick and went into the lab. 3S is still the greatest fighting game ever made in my eyes, Chun-Li and Yun aside, and I'm reminded of that every time I watch this video.

I didn't know how deep and competitive fighting games were, or that there was a "scene" in the first place until I happened upon this video. I had a friend who was pretty big in to 3S and would destory me with Urien. The first character I picked up was Ken. I had the bright idea of looking up 3S ken tutorials on Youtube as I wanted to know what I could truly do in this game; I saw this video and my whole world view on fighters was changed lol (I'm now strictly in the Dudley camp however).

I'm honestly curious as to how many people entered in to the competitive fighting scene purely because of this video?

ghibli99

I'm honestly curious as to how many people entered in to the competitive fighting scene purely because of this video?
I'd venture to guess a lot. Still gives me chills! I went through something similar with DDR when I saw some of the early videos from Japan on the internet circa '99. I was like, "I've been playing this game wrong this entire time!" LOL

Most of NA didn't give a shit about 3s except for a handful of areas before the 37. Texas, Omaha, Toronto, Cali, and NYC are the few that come to mind.

I was never a fan of 3S but the scene in Toronto was pretty fun to watch. I still remember that tourney at Dragon something in Scarborough.

DMiz

The parry rewards execution and moment-to-moment reads but de-emphasizes certain long-term strategies and consequences. It's difficult to box your opponent into an unwinnable situation in Street Fighter 3 because his greatest defensive option, the parry, is always available to turn the momentum at any moment. In other versions of Street Fighter, there is more importance placed on things like using the stage itself as a resource (not getting boxed into the corner and maybe even taking small interim damage to fight for position), being very calculated on when to jump and why (can't block in the air in most SF games), using invincible reversals to avoid wake-up damage, etc. In Street Fighter 3, you can turn all of that around in a single moment if you're good at reading the opponent's next single move. Depending on what you value in a fighting game, you could make a good argument for SF3 being a great game or a poor game. It's probably the most polarizing game in the Street Fighter series because its defining mechanic is so different than the rest.

Personally speaking, though, this is why SF3 has always been my game of choice.

I'm not particularly good at fighting games - I always get wrecked at the arcades and can barely win a few matches online - but SF3 is the one game where I can usually win a few matches a night. I can't memorize combos, I don't have time to spend to learn tech, but if there's one thing I CAN do that SF3 permits me to do, is to utilize the metagame and read character movements to predict outcomes.

EDIT: maybe a better way of putting it is, SF3 gives me tools to use that aren't necessarily what the programmer/designer gives me (specific moves, bar techniques, etc), but instead hinges on what I can do outside of the game. That's both fun and interesting for me - it suggests that the game is much more than what was simply coded and also infers more about those playing it.

I still remember my first Evo where we found Daigo sleeping on a picnic table at Pomona. WTF. Jaha almost threw a guy off the balcony, an ambulance came to haul someone off for smoking too much weed. It was crazy.

hitsugi

Daigo was being stubborn

He always had trouble with dhalsim IIRC but he couldve switched to yun

I heard he got eliminated by a dude who doesnt even main sf4

As others said, he lost to John Choi in what was probably the most embarrassing match of his career. It was the complete opposite of his earlier game vs Valle, and just really strange to see. He basically just held forward and walked into c.MKs all day.

Good on Choi, but he was promptly eliminated after that win.

Why was that mechanic removed anyway?

I think that Capcom wanted to take away some of the weight of parrying attacks, shown by the more moderate take towards the mechanic, the focus attack. The parry removed an aspect of care when considering ranges and advantage in the neutral game, and it also made mix ups a little harder to pull off, as they could be parried leaving the attacker wide open. More or less, the mechanic really promoted a "just do it" style of play, which Capcom felt needed to be moderated.

I think I hit the mark with that explanation. If anyone sees any errors, please correct me.

Top Bottom