• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The beast is unleashed... again. 10th anniversary of "Evo moment #37"

hitsugi

Had daigo not run into fchamp, I think he would've placed much higher. I wasn't suprised when I heard he lost to him. Fchamp has beaten him before. His dahlsim is just really good. Daigo is still amazing though, he just ran into two people that have a lot of experience against him.

No. No one he ran into had experience against his Evil Ryu, and his Evil Ryu was just bad. I think Evil Ryu players hit around 50% or less of the combos they went for at Evo. Sako included.

Squishy3

Like everyone said, perfect knowledge. To me the MOST impressive part is the final kick, which is normally an overhead. To parry it he had to jump then parry it. The timing on his counter is textbook.
You can parry that standing. He had to jump to do it because if he didn't start the combo with j.mk he wouldn't have killed Justin.

Awesome vid! I may suck horribly at fighters, but understanding the technicalities of how to play should at least make watching it very enjoyable!

elfinke

A great OP for a great moment in gaming. Third Strike never got a run amongst my friends and I, but we always marvelled (lol) at this video.

Myn

Like everyone said, perfect knowledge. To me the MOST impressive part is the final kick, which is normally an overhead. To parry it he had to jump then parry it. The timing on his counter is textbook.

That's actually the easiest part to parry because you're out of blockstun before she does that final kick.

Griss

1. I have no interest in 'pro gaming'
2. I'm not a fan of any Street Fighter game, nor most 2D fighters
3. I don't watch streams or enjoy watching others play games

Despite all that, I've seen this video at least 10 times, and immediately recognised how special that moment was. That's 'break-out appeal', right there. Incredible piece of play, made legendary by the reaction of the crowd.

the impressive part is parrying it under the crowd and the conditions of the match, not the actual parry.

There were numerous people that could parry chun's SA2. Its not THAT hard in terms of actually parrying it. What is hard is to do it under pressure.

Daigo was one of the only foreigners in that room and playing against a crowd favorite.

I vaguely remember Daigo talking about how he can parry Chun-Li's super with ease perfectly during practice, but the crowd cheering for Justin at the moment made it a bit harder for him.

People were writing him off somewhat after evo last year. Then he proceeds to demolish xian and infiltration in their FT10 sets. Then he goes to collect bodies at dream hack. He's still a threat to win every tournament he enters.

Kind of bad luck that he ran into Fchamp so early. Dude's had his number since SCR. Why didn't he just counter pick with Yun? His entire weekend could have been so much different had he swallowed his pride and used Yun to blow up Sim.

I think switching to E Ryu with little prep time was such a bad decision. He garnered so much experience and momentum with his Ryu during the year and he looked almost unstoppable. Ryu will always be Daigo to me. And it seemed all the players that made top 8 largely stayed loyal to their characters despite the ultra changes.

Sim is a nightmare for shotos, definitely should have just said fuck it and demolish champ with yun.

hitsugi

You can parry that standing. He had to jump to do it because if he didn't start the combo with j.mk he wouldn't have killed Justin.

He actually started it with j.HK. Parrying in the air turns your attack into a jumping towards attack.

I think switching to E Ryu with little prep time was such a bad decision. He garnered so much experience and momentum with his Ryu during the year and he looked almost unstoppable. Ryu will always be Daigo to me. And it seemed all the players that made top 8 largely stayed loyal to their characters despite the ultra changes.

Sim is a nightmare for shotos, definitely should have just said fuck it and demolish champ with yun.

sim isn't THAT bad for ryu. Its like 6-4. Its just fchamp knows the matchup way better

petghost

Banned
the impressive part is parrying it under the crowd and the conditions of the match, not the actual parry.

There were numerous people that could parry chun's SA2. Its not THAT hard in terms of actually parrying it. What is hard is to do it under pressure.

Daigo was one of the only foreigners in that room and playing against a crowd favorite.

i think this is definitely the case later on but im not sure anyone in america had seen that kind of thing at this point. look at those tokido evo 2002 vids, peoples reaction to urien's unblockable setup is awe. watch nuki in the same tournament do a parry into super and the crowd loses its shit. i think america was pretty ignorant about the game for a while. correct me if im wrong though, i wasnt around for this period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1r82kmXSPo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC8Ktd9VEPw

kasane

No. No one he ran into had experience against his Evil Ryu, and his Evil Ryu was just bad. I think Evil Ryu players hit around 50% or less of the combos they went for at Evo. Sako included.
Daigo was being stubborn

He always had trouble with dhalsim IIRC but he couldve switched to yun

I heard he got eliminated by a dude who doesnt even main sf4

elfinke

i think this is definitely the case later on but im not sure anyone in america had seen that kind of thing at this point. look at those tokido evo 2002 vids, peoples reaction to urien's unblockable setup is awe. watch nuki in the same tournament do a parry into super and the crowd loses its shit. i think america was pretty ignorant about the game for a while. correct me if im wrong though, i wasnt around for this period.

Those videos were awesome, thanks for sharing!

Man, I'll never forget watching this for the first time. As others have said, it's what really got me into the FGC in the first place and I've been an avid fan ever since. Respects to the Beast, and respects to this legendary moment in gaming history on today, Ryu's 50th birthday :)

dommynick

It wasn't ignorance as much as the fact that the US scene just did not like 3rd Strike that much. It wasn't until the rise of Family Fun Arcade and their local scene and players that 3rd Strike hit the map in the US, years after the game came out. But it is true that it was a different time. If you didn't have access to a high skilled, local scene, you couldn't hang with the good players. Information and quality practice were a lot more restricted then.

Edit: I also saw both of these matches live :p

Skunkers

It wasn't ignorance as much as the fact that the US scene just did not like 3rd Strike that much. It wasn't until the rise of Family Fun Arcade and their local scene and players that 3rd Strike hit the map in the US, years after the game came out. But it is true that it was a different time. If you didn't have access to a high skilled, local scene, you couldn't hang with the good players. Information and quality practice were a lot more restricted then.

Edit: I also saw both of these matches live :p

Yep. This. To quote myself from another thread recently:

Skunkers said:
Actually, it was worse than that. I was a member of the SF community back then, 3rd Strike was not popular at all (in the west) until the Justin Wong/Daigo match/moment at Evo 2004, some six years after it's release. Prior to that the whole community was all about CvS2/MvC2. People would post threads on SRK asking why nobody played 3S, and the perception was that it was too complex and that the Japanese players had way too much technology for US players to catch up. It wasn't even a featured game in B4/B5/Evo 2002, IIRC. It started gaining a small amount of traction mainly with a few old school top players who were actually traveling to Japan for SBO, and because of them and the Japanese players coming to Evo from over there it went from an exhibition game to a featured game at Evo (even though the number of registered players was still a tiny fraction of CvS2/MvC2). After Evo Moment #37 though, the entire community shifted to OMG 3S BEST FIGHTING GAME OF ALL TIME, and everyone started playing it. It was really bizarre to watch it happen actually.

I've seen some people actually get salty about it, but it's true. Most people raving about 3S were not big fans until this Evo moment. This moment was superbly influential on the US scene, catapulting 3S to such popularity it was later the primary game at Evo, also retroactively becoming everybody's favorite fighting game after 6 years of relative obscurity.

Oh ok never knew that. Thx!! Kinda like Sagat's in SF4?

you mean angry scar? Angry scar is a move designed to buff the next tiger uppercut. Taunts in 3s for the most part all had some function.

akuma/ryu/ken/makoto/chun/yun/yang all buffed their damage (IIRC)
Sean/Dudley threw a projectile
Q either got more hp or more defense (it depends on how you see it)
Twelve I think go invisible.

theres some im missing but for the most part they all had some "use"

Sayad

you mean angry scar? Angry scar is a move designed to buff the next tiger uppercut. Taunts in 3s for the most part all had some function.

akuma/ryu/ken/makoto/chun/yun/yang all buffed their damage (IIRC)
Sean/Dudley threw a projectile
Q either got more hp or more defense (it depends on how you see it)
Twelve I think go invisible.

theres some im missing but for the most part they all had some "use"
Chun have more than one taunt, every one does a different buff, some more then one buff and which one she does when you taunt is randomized. Elena get a stun meter buff, I think.

Sayad

Is that Art saying "wow" repeatedly after Nuki's parry into super? lol.

Top Bottom