• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best boss fight you'll see all year

Parks And Recreation GIF by Peacock

I find examples like this so interesting where I truly wonder what the devs and/or publishers thought when they had it running for the final time. Like, they have to know stuff like this is a piece of shit?! And I wonder what metrics are there to support that even such a horrible steaming pile of software like this still must be profitable in some way or another to release it as is.

Last edited:
It's definitely amateur hour -and I would never buy it- but I find elements of it interesting:

1. The variety of weapons placed around the arena
2. The "flashback" moments of dialogue from their years-long friendship that play during the fight
3. The fact that the story branches after this, allowing you to play the entire second half of the game as Shane if he wins the fight

Someone clearly cared about this on some level, but the team also clearly had neither the time nor the skill to make it into a good game.

poodaddy

This is so bad it doesn't seem like it's from this era. It's like a trash PS2 licensed game from 2003. So weird....like, how does this happen today?

Golum, this trash, King Kong, man there's been some games released this year that are so bad it's almost impressive.

wvnative

This is so bad it doesn't seem like it's from this era. It's like a trash PS2 licensed game from 2003. So weird....like, how does this happen today?

Golum, this trash, King Kong, man there's been some games released this year that are so bad it's almost impressive.

come now, while they were trash at the time, most of those PS2 licensed games weren't golum/kong/destinies bad.

poodaddy

come now, while they were trash at the time, most of those PS2 licensed games weren't golum/kong/destinies bad.
For sure yeah, but you get what I'm saying though. The way this controls and looks has a time capsule like vibe to it from that era, but yeah even worse.

Krieger

Ironically, the PS2 King Kong game looks better than GameMill's Kong game.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The weird thing is that this game has actual C&C and you can change the events of the show. It seems like some people involved really cared about the license and wanted to make something interesting but everything else was just a throwaway.

Doom85

In fact, while I never got the chance to play it myself, I heard the King Kong game from the PS2/GC gen was quite good.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Very informative video, thanks.

Learned a couple of things I wouldn't have caught on to if I had just read biased reviews.

Some of the cooler info I got from this video:
-DAD YOU'RE ALIVE

wvnative

For sure yeah, but you get what I'm saying though. The way this controls and looks has a time capsule like vibe to it from that era, but yeah even worse.

It's true. Back then I thought they were the lowest of the lowest garbage. But seeing shit like this... then going back and actually playing some of them?

Damn, we had no idea how bad it could really get. Makes me sad. Both back then and now, all these properties deserve so much better.

StueyDuck

Looks like a game made primarily to fill a subscription service.

Which pub is gonna take the bait first do you think?

poodaddy

It's true. Back then I thought they were the lowest of the lowest garbage. But seeing shit like this... then going back and actually playing some of them?

Damn, we had no idea how bad it could really get. Makes me sad. Both back then and now, all these properties deserve so much better.
It's crazy, cuz we see how good licensed games can get with Spider-Man and the like if they're given the care they deserve, Hell the Wolverine game was much better than the movie, and that was ages ago. Why aren't devs learning these lessons?

wvnative

It's crazy, cuz we see how good licensed games can get with Spider-Man and the like if they're given the care they deserve, Hell the Wolverine game was much better than the movie, and that was ages ago. Why aren't devs learning these lessons?

Still waiting for that Spider-Man PS4 style Star Trek game...:messenger_loudly_crying:

poodaddy

Still waiting for that Spider-Man PS4 style Star Trek game...:messenger_loudly_crying:
Yeah that'd be incredible.

I don't think it's ever gonna happen though lol. Some IP owners just don't care as much as others clearly, they just sell to the lowest bidder and call it a day. It's a real shame.

these games always remind me of 'cleaver':

in the sopranos, christopher, like a number of real life 'entrepreneurs' at that point, makes a horror movie because he thinks, what with 'direct to video' becoming a thing, that it's easy profit (well, he also thinks it's fun, & a way of getting back at tony, but that's another thing). i'm thinking digital download has basically become the gaming equivalent to 'direct to video' in the eyes of like-minded people, an easy cash-in. now, whether it actually is (which i sorta doubt), i have no idea. but all you need is that one big viral hit, right?...

Last edited:
A developer who cared more would have made a 'ready. set. draw!' mechanic for just this fight alone(to match the show's scene) and then you'd never see it ever again in the game.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
you can know that the devs involved in this game just want to start working late and go back home on time.

Top Bottom