• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The BIGGEST meltdowns over game announcements?

As we just had the recent example of Bayonetta 2 being a Wii-U exclusive, I wanted people to discuss and bring up as many as they can recall.

Who can forget the FFXIII 360 announcement that spawned the infamous "Expert in Japanese culture" meme? How about DQ9 for DS? MH3 for Wii after being originally announced for PS3? Epic Mickey for Wii!

These bring out the worst of MANY people, but surely those examples are not the only ones, which ones do you recall, on GAF or even on the interwebz itself where a game was announced on a specific platform that drove people INSANE?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Virtua fighter 5 going multiplat was a pretty big deal if I remember right

Anyone remember what the reaction to RE4 Gamecube was? Or Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes being a Gamecube exclusive?

I wasn't paying attention back then, would be curious certainly.

Anyone remember what the reaction to RE4 Gamecube was? Or Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes being a Gamecube exclusive?

I wasn't paying attention back then, would be curious certainly.

At the time this stuff was more routine though. The fact RE4 went to PS2 was more when multiplatform started to become the big big thing over that generation; as oppose to entirely conflicting game libraries.

Nothing can top FFXIII to 360. Nothing. It helps that, in retrospect, everyone was getting pissed about one of, if not the worst game in the series.

Derrick01

Banned
People talk about the biggest bloodbath on gaf as far as bans go was the epic mickey thread so I'm going with that. They even talk about it over on off topic. I just wish I could remember most of that thread, I remember reading it but didn't see all the bans.

Forever

Banned
FFXIII
DQIX
Bayonetta 2

First post etc.

People talk about the biggest bloodbath on gaf as far as bans go was the epic mickey thread so I'm going with that. They even talk about it over on off topic. I just wish I could remember most of that thread, I remember reading it but didn't see all the bans.
I think that one was a bloodbath because it was the first time port begging was banned and people didn't know better.

Kacho

Weren't people upset when MGS2 and the GTA games went to the Xbox? It's been so long, but swear that was a thing at the time.

May16

There were like 5 or 6 Japanese people who made a big display of trashing their 360s when Tales of Vesperia was announced for PS3, because they'd bought a 360 just to play that one "exclusive."

(Then of course the internet got a hold of it and made one small group of people into "Japan" like it was the whole country. -_-)
So I guess that's one that didn't actually happen, but a lot of people thought it did.

Grisby

Nothing can top FFXIII to 360. Nothing. It helps that, in retrospect, everyone was getting pissed about one of, if not the worst game in the series.
Yeah, I would definitely say it's the weakest in the series. So many people were upset in that thread.

sonymaycryyw7.jpg

It seems like all the big meltdowns occur when Sony exclusives become non-exclusive, or when a game becomes exclusive for a non-Sony console.

Oh man the memories from the Wiimote revelation. It was like a big, collective "huh ?".

It's funny to see all the "NINTENDO IS DEAD" reactions nowadays...

Dahbomb

DMC4, DmC and Bayo 2 were the meltdowns that I actually saw. The other stuff like FFXIII and DQ I only saw threads getting lots of post counts, users banned and threads locked.

It seems like all the big meltdowns occur when Sony exclusives become non-exclusive, or when a game becomes exclusive for a non-Sony console.

I hope your not trying to suggest that some people are a bit up tight? :eek:
Tbf its mostly because Sony fans have literally owned one brand for ~15 years now; their the group least likely to like change.

Meanwhile MS/Nintendo owners have had more ups and downs/seen exclusives come and go; whilst MS is fairly new and with a growing userbase.

Barring mistakes, next-gen should be more everyone on the same playing field.
Its going to be fucking crazy

Can't wait for the next consoles announcements, I hope they don't reveal all the features at once so people go crazy over it.

oh and game announcements, well lets just wait for Half-Life 3

iLLmAtlc

Wasn't here for most of these but what about Kojima showing up at the Microsoft press conference and announcing MGS: Rising? The meltdown was pretty big in other sites, but probably not close to the FFXIII announcement.

Top Bottom