• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

jmartoine

Quick question. Did they nerf the difficulty since Rebirth launched?

I played Rebirth at launch on PS4 and completed everything on Normal mode, I gave hard mode a try but could not get any runs going for hours apart from on Azazel and gave up out of frustration.

Playing on the Switch after well over a year break from Isaac, I'm now playing through on Hard without too many issues, it feels so much easier that when I played on PS4 even with the huge break.

This game has gotten substantially harder since Rebirth, with the exception of Lost, who is now easier (although much more fair)

Although the difficulty spike is harder to notice on the Switch, since most of the hard DLC content is behind unlocks (most of which appear to be very late game unlocks)

- There are more crappy items to water down the good item pools
- There are more characters to finish
- Keeper exists and is a terrible character
- The new bosses are not really well balanced at all and can be run ending on literally the first floor in many cases
- New boss champions are hard
- New alt floors are more challenging, adding random fires, spikes and red poops to various places, along with harder regular enemies and bosses on those floors
- There are multiple new end game bosses that have a ton of HP and bullet hell patterns
- The new challenges range from okay to mind soul crushingly hard

jmartoine

Just strange how I struggled on the PS4 on hard mode even after unlocking all of the normal mode items, yet on the Switch I am coping far better on hard without those unlocks.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't plain sailing but I've unlocked both the Polaroid and Negative, and am working through all the characters at a faster pace than I did on PS4 on normal at launch. I still fail the runs more often than not, but on PS4 on hard I would struggle to get past the second floor which isn't an issue now.

I hate the Hush, beaten him a few times now but my god he is such a bullet sponge and pain in the ass!

Jerry

Since completing Zelda this has been my commute to work game.

The curse which fucks up my runs the most is curse of darkness because of screen glare on the train.

To be honest, there's quite a lot of trinkets I'd much rather have than items.

Gulping Tick, Cracked Crown, Curved Horn, Goat Hoof or Cancer are basically the same as picking up a high tier regular item. And that's just the more combat oriented trinkets.

To be honest, there's quite a lot of trinkets I'd much rather have than items.

Gulping Tick, Cracked Crown, Curved Horn, Goat Hoof or Cancer are basically the same as picking up a high tier regular item. And that's just the more combat oriented trinkets.

Cancer is easily the best of the bunch.... Or was, until Cracked Crown took its place.

David___

Banned
New to this game (got thw switch version), only played a bit on PC when it first launched. Any tips on progression and how I should start?
Just keep playing with whoever you want till you unlock
the two alt paths.
At that point start making goals for each character at your own pace

30% bonus stat increase from every stat up is ridiculous.
It really is. Does it get a buff with Moms Box?
Or is it one of those that isnt doubled for arbitrary reasons?

Persona7

Banned
It's not. Also the neat little Zelda-like manual and stickers are not in the new print.

Did you have to download a patch when you loaded the game? I've been trying to determine if the new run has the day one update on the game card because my friend has limited internet access and can't use a pro controller on The Binding Of Isaac without the day one patch.

jmartoine

That feeling when you're making a run to the dark room and pick up the Polaroid by accident so have to restart the run.

Then that feeling on the next run where you grab the negative but go to the Cathedral by accident after killing Mom...

Does anyone even go for Curse Rooms anymore, over half the time I end up getting troll bombs?

There are a lot of really good curse rooms, though.

If you have a spare Soul Heart, it's generally worth the risk.

That feeling when you're making a run to the dark room and pick up the Polaroid by accident so have to restart the run.

Then that feeling on the next run where you grab the negative but go to the Cathedral by accident after killing Mom...

You didn't have to restart!

Just keep using a Sacrifice Room (the bloody room with spikes on the floor) and it'll eventually send you to the Dark Room. You have three floors to find one (Womb, Womb II, and Cathedral/Sheol), so there's a good chance you'd find one. With sufficient health, it was still a winnable run.

Poppyseed

So I'm a noob, and made it through the two
Mom areas, and killed the heart for the first time.
Not really sure what to do next, as the game doesn't seem to give you much info at all. I hear talk of
alternate paths
and other things, but really... be nice to know what I'm supposed to be doing. :D

David___

Banned
So I'm a noob, and made it through the two
Mom areas, and killed the heart for the first time.
Not really sure what to do next, as the game doesn't seem to give you much info at all. I hear talk of
alternate paths
and other things, but really... be nice to know what I'm supposed to be doing. :D

Beat the Heart
9 more times.
After that
a trap door and a beam of light spawn after the heart fight

jmartoine

You didn't have to restart!

Just keep using a Sacrifice Room (the bloody room with spikes on the floor) and it'll eventually send you to the Dark Room. You have three floors to find one (Womb, Womb II, and Cathedral/Sheol), so there's a good chance you'd find one. With sufficient health, it was still a winnable run.

Really? I didn't know that so it is good for the future.
So I just need to find a sacrifice room and stand on the spikes until a trapdoor appears?

Really? I didn't know that so it is good for the future.
So I just need to find a sacrifice room and stand on the spikes until a trapdoor appears?

No, each time you take damage from a sacrifice room you go through a progression of events, including item drops, enemy spawns, and teleports. One of the teleports accomplishes what you want, but you need to be prepared for the enemy spawns, even if you have tons of health.

Erigu

How come none of this is even slightly obvious?
While I do think The Binding of Isaac can get a bit vague here and there, beating the game several times seems like something you would end up doing anyway? Especially considering there are several characters...

No, each time you take damage from a sacrifice room you go through a progression of events, including item drops, enemy spawns, and teleports. One of the teleports accomplishes what you want, but you need to be prepared for the enemy spawns, even if you have tons of health.

I don't think the door locks when they spawn. I'm pretty sure you can just walk out and walk back in.

Zia

Hey BoI players, thinking about hopping in after not playing for years. I remember hearing that one of the expansions was broken, either Rebirth or Afterbirth. True? Also, is there a consensus as to the best platform to play it on? Default would be PC since I have all of it but Switch is appealing as well, just don't necessarily trust Nicalis ports.

h0tp0ck3t

Man nothing like showing up to Hush with max hearts, brimstone, Lilith with Incubus and Lil Brim (freaking four brimstone familiars after Box of Friends)

Fights ends, two and a half hearts left. I fucking hate Hush

Hey BoI players, thinking about hopping in after not playing for years. I remember hearing that one of the expansions was broken, either Rebirth or Afterbirth. True? Also, is there a consensus as to the best platform to play it on? Default would be PC since I have all of it but Switch is appealing as well, just don't necessarily trust Nicalis ports.

70+ hours on the Switch version without a single crash. Some framerate slowdowns when I had some broken combos
Edit: Should note I haven't done any daily runs, I believe there is crashing problems there

Most of the issues have been resolved. Between the two of them, PC does get faster patches, and has official modding support.

Both Afterbirth and Afterbirth+ were broken at release. AB was missing like half its content, and AB+ was really, really, really poorly balanced to the point of the game being close to unplayable.

Both are now fixed.

PC is the best platform, because it has slightly more content (a dozen or so items, some minor cosmetic features, and more to come on a monthly basis). But the Switch version is also a great port, and will get that extra PC content... eventually

PC is the best platform, because it has slightly more content (a dozen or so items, some minor cosmetic features, and more to come on a monthly basis). But the Switch version is also a great port, and will get that extra PC content... eventually

The only caveat to this, is that Isaac is a perfect "on-the-go" game, and from that perspective it's good enough on the Switch that I would still consider Switch over PC.

jmartoine

Beat the dark room with Azazel on hard and decided to do a victory lap.

Got Ludovico Technique on the first flaw which made the rest of the run a cakewalk when combined with Guppy.

Decided to take on Delirium and beat him first time but I didn't get any of the unlocks for beating him first time or as Azazel and the post it isn't crumbled like it should be after beating him.

Is this a glitch or do victory lap runs not count?

Poppyseed

I have zero doubt the Switch is the best version out there. If I'm going to sit down in front of a computer/TV, I'm not playing this sort of game. I know this because I own it on the PC... and played it for all of 5 minutes... I own it on the PS4, and played it all of 5 minutes...

And now on Switch? 20 hours and counting (which compared to some is nothing, but my point still stands!).

Top Bottom