• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth |OT| Greed is Good

I prefer fighting Isaac and ??? over Satan and the Lamb. I always have a lot of trouble on Satan for some reason. Isaac and ??? are just pattern recognition.

The Polaroid is also more useful. So the Chest ends up being the default route.

dickroach

I remember being apprehensive about Rebirth because I thought the new graphics style stunk.
now when I go back and look at vanilla I can't believe I ever played that shit

Only a year of mini expansions?

Aw, I was hoping they'd keep that up for years. Antibirth isn't going to have enough time to release in a year if it needs to be entirely remade in LUA

zulux21

Aw, I was hoping they'd keep that up for years. Antibirth isn't going to have enough time to release in a year if it needs to be entirely remade in LUA

well officially added to the game, you are still going to have plenty of options to just add stuff.

also I still need 70 cents so the dlc can release then should only take another 5-10 min :p

Berordn

Considering how many times he's changed his minds regarding Isaac I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts much longer.

well officially added to the game, you are still going to have plenty of options to just add stuff.

No achievements or unlocks, though, making mods pretty useless unless you've 100% the game.

Considering how many times he's changed his minds regarding Isaac I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts much longer.

Yea, I think he genuinely loves Isaac and the community and if nice stuff keeps coming out, maybe it won't be every month, but every so often would be nice.

Games like TF2 and Dota 2 took years just to hit their stride with high quality community content.

zulux21

No achievements or unlocks, though, making mods pretty useless unless you've 100% the game.

first off, achievements don't matter in general :p

second off, why do you need it locked behind something? just add what looks fun.

finally... last I checked this was the tools they use to make the game in general, there isn't any good reason why you couldn't mod in new unlocks.

i mean there is a decent chance that anything that gets added officially doesn't have those anyways.

first off, achievements don't matter in general :p

second off, why do you need it locked behind something? just add what looks fun.

finally... last I checked this was the tools they use to make the game in general, there isn't any good reason why you couldn't mod in new unlocks.

Achievements matter when you don't have everything unlocked. That's what I mean by no unlocks. You don't earn any progress at all with mods on. And constant progress is a big reason I like the game.

Achievements matter when you don't have everything unlocked. That's what I mean by no unlocks. You don't earn any progress at all with mods on. And constant progress is a big reason I like the game.

The only reason mods are interesting to me is if someone makes "curated" runs, meaning specifically built dungeons/sets of items/ enemies. This is what I hoped Challenges would be. Challenges should just be renamed "handicaps" as they're all based around hoping the RNG gods negate whatever handicap is assigned.

zulux21

no... the achievements themselves are still absolutely and completely meaningless.
yes they tied unlocks to all of them, but there is no reason you can't have unlocks without achievements.

odds are what is going to happen is they are just going to add their favorite mod stuff to the game as base items with no new unlocks or achievements in general.

notsol337

marked forever
I was super excited to get home from work, clean the dishes, and then GET TO ISAAC!

Thanks Tyrone for giving me the will to clean!

Best delay ever.

Finalow

I got pretty bored with Afterbirth after a while which is way I still have 70 or so achievements/unlocks left. now I'm not sure what I hate more, going for all the unlocks with that heap of garbage of a character called Keeper or trying to finish boss rush with The Lost.

I read this as well...because most players choose to go the Cathedral/Chest route, they wanted to make the Sheol/Dark Room route more worthwhile.
people go for the Chest route because you actually get a lot of items there and you have the possibility to break your run, the Dark Room is usually filled with a bunch of crap and some occasional item.
adding a whole new stage or whatever only to the Dark Room as a way of ''fixing'' that and almost forcing people to go there instead of the Chest would be quite dumb, to be honest. so I hope it's not that

zulux21

I got pretty bored with Afterbirth after a while which is way I still have 70 or so achievements/unlocks left. now I'm not sure what I hate more, going for all the unlocks with that heap of garbage of a character called Keeper or trying to finish boss rush with The Lost.

people go for the Chest route because you actually get a lot of items there and you have the possibility to break your run, the Dark Room is usually filled with a bunch of crap and some occasional item.
adding a whole new stage only to the Dark Room as a way of ''fixing'' that and almost forcing people to go there instead of the Chest would be quite dumb, to be honest. so I hope it's not that

it seems reasonable to me.

you want an easy finish to your run choose chest
you want a harder finish to your run with potential bonuses choose dark room.

I suppose while the dlc is delayed I can do a run or two in afterbirth to see if I can finally get the lost poster and sacrifice room in one run to unlock the lost lol.

i have 172 hours played in isaac and still no lost.

edit: I officially have enough money now... the dlc can release :p

adding a whole new stage or whatever only to the Dark Room as a way of ''fixing'' that and almost forcing people to go there instead of the Chest would be quite dumb, to be honest. so I hope it's not that

If you loop around, you're getting substantially more items than going to the Chest and way more chances to break the game.

Especially if it remembers if you fought Greed already, that's a whole pile of new shops to break the game wide open with.

Tainted

it seems reasonable to me.

you want an easy finish to your run choose chest
you want a harder finish to your run with potential bonuses choose dark room.

I suppose while the dlc is delayed I can do a run or two in afterbirth to see if I can finally get the lost poster and sacrifice room in one run to unlock the lost lol.

i have 172 hours played in isaac and still no lost.

edit: I officially have enough money now... the dlc can release :p

Yep, I am ok with this as well. I always avoid the Dark Room route for all the reasons mentioned....so I think its 100% worth it if it means looping your run esp if you are OP at that point, many lols to be had in those early floors.

So what's the story with AB+ ? Delayed ?

-edit- nm, just noticed post above

notsol337

marked forever
Yep, I am ok with this as well. I always avoid the Dark Room route for all the reasons mentioned....so I think its 100% worth it if it means looping your run esp if you are OP at that point, many lols to be had in those early floors.

So what's the story with AB+ ? Delayed ?

-edit- nm, just noticed post above

It's still not been released, as far as I can tell.

Not sure what that CassSept's source is.

CassSept

I'm afraid I've been bamboozled by reddit. I believed it a 'shop on r/bindingofisaac, mostly because some spanish streamer is already playing it and I didn't know he is a famous streamer or something.

Y'all let me know when it actually goes live, I'll be over here, watching the heat death of the universe. We'll see what happens first.

dickroach

twitch.tv/lemmykoopa98
someone literally just continously clicking refresh on the steam store page every few seconds.
this is why twitch was created

I've done my part

I say we protest this delay by purchasing a copy of The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and the Afterbirth DLC to give to a friend so they too can suffer the wait.

Therion

Okay, now it's available to buy, but the discount isn't showing up. Can't decide whether to keep waiting.

Edit: Discount's up. It's bought.

Top Bottom