• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth |OT| Greed is Good

lord pie

I'm honestly not going to bother with some of the afterbirth challenges.
The original 20 were kinda annoying as they were, (and the trophy is broken... grrr...). But completing a run where every missed shot costs health? Seriously?

Anywho.

Yesterday I discovered that you can get key pieces through the sacrifice room, which I didn't know. I also discovered that it can also warp you to the dark room - so from (I think) the 3rd floor I was warped to the dark room with only two hearts, but both key pieces. So to hell with it, I took on mega satan with a truly awful build.
I won. Just.
I had a chaos card :p

Box of Friends + BFFS! + 12v Battery + Charged Buddy is the most amazing thing:
bio02.jpg

And screw you Rag Man :p 80 inch nails more like it.
boi01.jpg

dickroach

some of those Afterbirth challenges are the WORST.
if there's anything like BRAINS!! in Afterbirth+ I'm requesting a refund

Parshias7

Did they ever patch those two bosses in Afterbirth? The ones with the awful damage reduction. I loved the original BoI and 100% both it and Rebirth but then those two pieces of garbage sucked all the fun out of Afterbirth.

Please at least tell me there's a mod that deals with them. I'd really like to try and get back into the game.

AoM

Did they ever patch those two bosses in Afterbirth? The ones with the awful damage reduction. I loved the original BoI and 100% both it and Rebirth but then those two pieces of garbage sucked all the fun out of Afterbirth.

Please at least tell me there's a mod that deals with them. I'd really like to try and get back into the game.

Nope.

And to be fair, a certain boss from Antibirth shows what happens when a major boss like that lacks damage scaling.

Meia

Nope.

And to be fair, a certain boss from Antibirth shows what happens when a major boss like that lacks damage scaling.

While true, I think the scaling in Afterbirth was probably too far in the wrong direction. It's somewhat neutering to be instantly gibbing bosses, and still take like 4 minutes of straight dps time to kill a boss. At that point, you don't really feel powerful against the boss, and you realize that it's the only times in the entire game where defense is far more important than offense.

BTW, watching vids on antibirth runs(since it's impossible to get the stupid thing running for me apparently), I really like one of the mods that shows all the stats on the left side of the screen, and then the gains and losses when you get a new item. Since it seems like installing anything extra to BoI is a pain in the ass, it's one of the things I wish was just part of the base game. :p

AoM

While true, I think the scaling in Afterbirth was probably too far in the wrong direction. It's somewhat neutering to be instantly gibbing bosses, and still take like 4 minutes of straight dps time to kill a boss. At that point, you don't really feel powerful against the boss, and you realize that it's the only times in the entire game where defense is far more important than offense.

The only thing I really don't like is when Hush goes below the ground and you can't hurt him. You can't have that much damage scaling and then have multiple points in the fight where I can't do damage.

Edit: AB+ will have the HUD.

I'm terrible at this game. I eventually beat Mega Satan with Azazel on the PS4, years ago when it came out, considered that my end point. Since I'm sick of being behind the release schedule, I rebought Rebirth and After on Steam and will buy + tomorrow. But I haven't even beaten Mom's Heart three times yet, so what's the point? Heh.

Still lands with Spelunky as a game I will never conquer but is one of my all time favorites.

Akai__

So excited to see what people can do with this. Like all games that give people the possibility to create UGC (User Generated Content), there will be so much good stuff in it.

I'm more excited to watch the CobaltStreak / Richard Hammer streams of this new content than I am to play it.

It's a classic at this point. :D

Dzab

Getting a Vita (finally) so I wanna get playing, what's the definitive version, or the recommended version to play? Never actually owned a Binding of Isaac game so not sure where to start.

Akai__

Getting a Vita (finally) so I wanna get playing, what's the definitive version, or the recommended version to play? Never actually owned a Binding of Isaac game so not sure where to start.

All of the console versions don't get the same treatment as the PC version, which is by far the definitive version.

The next DLC, which is releasing tomorrow, won't come out on the consoles completely, because they won't be able to support the mod and user generated content that the game is getting. I'm not even sure if Vita and 3DS got the last DLC, to be honest.

sackninja

Vita has none of the dlc as it wouldn't run properly on it with some of the synergies active.

zulux21

All of the console versions don't get the same treatment as the PC version, which is by far the definitive version.

The next DLC, which is releasing tomorrow, won't come out on the consoles completely, because they won't be able to support the mod and user generated content that the game is getting. I'm not even sure if Vita and 3DS got the last DLC, to be honest.

that being said the vita version is still a fine version of the game, but i imagine in a few years time this is going to be a team fort 2 case where the console versions don't even feel like the same game as the pc version anymore.

isaac has a very active community, the amount of stuff that will be made for the game by the end of the year is going to be crazy @_@

with any luck they will at least keep the console versions updated with the "best of" stuff that they are going to do for the pc version as well. but we will see.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Has there been any discussion on whether there'll be an in-game mod directory or anything similar? I'll probably just have to keep an eye on here and maybe Reddit to look for recommendations.

zulux21

Has there been any discussion on whether there'll be an in-game mod directory or anything similar? I'll probably just have to keep an eye on here and maybe Reddit to look for recommendations.

I think it is being done via steam workshop.

though you will likely have a mod site as well as lots of of the mods likely won't be allowed on the steam workshop as no doubt we will have a full legend of zelda mod :p

Akai__

that being said the vita version is still a fine version of the game, but i imagine in a few years time this is going to be a team fort 2 case where the console versions don't even feel like the same game as the pc version anymore.

isaac has a very active community, the amount of stuff that will be made for the game by the end of the year is going to be crazy @_@

with any luck they will at least keep the console versions updated with the "best of" stuff that they are going to do for the pc version as well. but we will see.

Yeah, it's probably great, since Rebirth is already a pretty solid game even without the DLC. I was just pointing out the definitive version to them, since they asked about that.

bidaum

Does anyone here know by chance if getting AB+ will effect Antibirth? We've started playing Antibirth in my house, and while I know we'll get to AB+, the consensus might be to finish Anitbirth first?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Does anyone here know by chance if getting AB+ will effect Antibirth? We've started playing Antibirth in my house, and while I know we'll get to AB+, the consensus might be to finish Anitbirth first?

I think you should be fine seeing as you can reinstall Afterbirth once you've done installing Antibirth, but I don't know if anyone will know for sure until it's released.

Bate

I didn't manage to get all the Keeper achievements before afterbirth+, but after a -170 streak and countless restarts I conquered cathedral and chest with him. I am at a point where I could argue that I am having fun playing that guy.

Bate

I wondered about Hush and boss rush myself. I would probably hit "r" until I get Tech X or Death's Touch in the first treasure room. Everything else is just pain.

I used the many many Keeper restarts to finally fill my Donation machine. Knowing I would probably die I donated anytime I could. Then when you hit a monster of a run you wreck shit - all the while chipping away at the 999 and learning enemy attack patterns. Once done though I never did do a Keeper run again lol

I wondered about Hush and boss rush myself. I would probably hit "r" until I get Tech X or Death's Touch in the first treasure room. Everything else is just pain.

I beat Keeper Mega Satan with an absurd run which used Restock + Swallowed Penny + the active item which creates trinkets and doubles trinket effectiveness. Probably the only time I've ever had fun on a Keeper run.

Coming out of Rebirth I was hugely hyped for AB.

Afterbirth killed most of that so I'm very tepidly interested in AB+. I just hope that the new content is interesting and not pure tedium.

My proudest Isaac moment is beating Hush with one heart as Eden with a trash can build (sub base speed, awful damage, poor fire rate, no real offensive items). And one heart.

Three orbiting flies, dry baby and infamy and just sit there and pound on him for 10 minutes in a heart racing battle of endurance.

I have no idea how I made it to Hush in time, let alone with this build. I thought "well... this build is garbage, might as well try, nothing to lose"

I beat all the way to the Lamb with this build, what the heck, it was garbage. Sometimes defense can carry you all the way I guess

So I imagine maybe I could beat Hush with Keeper with something similar. But unlocking Keeper is too tedious for me, and I really hate Greed mode on top of that.

Bate

I used restock too on my keeper run. Since I managed to buy sack head on the first floor I could generate some diamond cards and about two hundred pennies over the course of the first six floors. I bought the fly jar and the double spiders and fly thing. This was a huge, huge help. And I found the thin odd mushroom which is surprisingly effective with the Keeper.

AoM

Only three new songs in the game? Damn... I'm hoping that was because Edmund and crew only wanted three, but regardless... damn.

Only three new songs in the game? Damn... I'm hoping that was because Edmund and crew only wanted three, but regardless... damn.

There's only one new area, so there wouldn't really be many places to add new music. Just the floor and the boss (and the new ending)

Afterbirth added four alternate floors with new music and two new boss themes, so that's where all the extra music came from.

AoM

Yeah ik. But you think they would've given Ridiculon more to do in over a year. At this point, I'm hoping I can mod in mudeth's soundtrack anyway.

I believe the new area is a path out of the Dark Room (I thought I read that somewhere and the music certainly sounds fit more for a hell area)

So it's going to forever bother me that the Chest route lacks an addition stage. I like that they're opposites.

Maybe we'll get an official modded one and new music that way. It certainly something I could see the community picking up and doing.

I used restock too on my keeper run. Since I managed to buy sack head on the first floor I could generate some diamond cards and about two hundred pennies over the course of the first six floors. I bought the fly jar and the double spiders and fly thing. This was a huge, huge help. And I found the thin odd mushroom which is surprisingly effective with the Keeper.

Oh yeah, I didn't even mention that my Hush and Boss Rush run was based around Thin odd mushroom.

My starting item list for Keeper when I was trying to do Hush/Boss Rush was Death's Touch, Mom's Knife, Tech X, and Thin Odd Mushroom. Pseudo-Triple shot is just so bad as a starting item.

AoM

I believe the new area is a path out of the Dark Room (I thought I read that somewhere and the music certainly sounds fit more for a hell area)

So it's going to forever bother me that the Chest route lacks an addition stage. I like that they're opposites.

Maybe we'll get an official modded one and new music that way. It certainly something I could see the community picking up and doing.

I thought the new Dark Room benefit was that
if you make it there/kill Lamb by a certain time, you get to loop your run

Maybe?

It would make more sense if this new area was a convergence of the two paths, rather than just going after the Dark Room. After beating Mega Satan a new path opens to some sort of realm beyond or something like that. Bring everything back to one path.

Tainted

I read this as well...because most players choose to go the Cathedral/Chest route, they wanted to make the Sheol/Dark Room route more worthwhile.

zulux21

I read this as well...because most players choose to go the Cathedral/Chest route, they wanted to make the Sheol/Dark Room route more worthwhile.

i can't imagine why most people choose the chest route :p

here have a bunch of items to power yourself up vs here have some red chests that if you are lucky have soul hearts in them :p

Top Bottom