• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth |OT| Greed is Good

Ambitious

I havent't played this in a while, and I didn't follow any DLC news either. So after doing a quick Google search, it looks like the Vita version of Afterbirth is still coming but there's no release date yet? That's a real shame.
I suppose I could buy the DLC for my PS4, but I usually only play BoI when commuting.

Ha ha you sucker!

One week till Afterbirth+!!

I decided to gamble and picked up four of them. Three of them were okay-ish, and the last one increased my tears' size (Proptosis, I believe). So I ended up with double poisonous fear-inducing penetrative mega tears at a decent rate of fire. It was amazing.

My one wish for AB+ is that it makes Brains even just a little less of a gigantic pain in the ass. I enjoy playing Keeper more than attempting Brains.

My one wish for AB+ is that it makes Brains even just a little less of a gigantic pain in the ass. I enjoy playing Keeper more than attempting Brains.
The key to beating the Brains challenge is getting a good devil deal on the second floor. I was able to pick up Sacrificial Dagger + Rotten Baby which allowed me to deal damage aside from the brains. Carried me through the whole run. Restart until you get a good devil deal on the second floor.

Prurient

Banned
Weird question but are there any good guides that give an outline to the various mechanics and meta-game? I played a ton of Rebirth on my PS4 and recently got the game + Afterbirth again on PC, but I've forgotten how everything works and I'm not doing so well. I can play the game fine but I'm looking for some kind of general guide to the next level of understanding how the game works. Obviously the wiki is a great tool but there is so much to this game that it's quite overwhelming and I don't really know where to start.

zulux21

Weird question but are there any good guides that give an outline to the various mechanics and meta-game? I played a ton of Rebirth on my PS4 and recently got the game + Afterbirth again on PC, but I've forgotten how everything works and I'm not doing so well. I can play the game fine but I'm looking for some kind of general guide to the next level of understanding how the game works. Obviously the wiki is a great tool but there is so much to this game that it's quite overwhelming and I don't really know where to start.

really the best advice is just play and learn.

learn how items work together
what they do.

and above all else learn the attack patterns of enemies and how to dodge them.

if you are having issues I recommend playing as azazul or whatever his name is as he is basically easy mode.

and work towards unlocking the d6 for isaac as that makes him another easy character to choose.

Magwik

Banned

Play the game and learn for yourself as said above is the most effective strategy. Another one is a bit more time consuming but when I was new to Rebirth/Afterbirth I went to YouTube and watched a lot of Northernlion's videos of him playing through both for the first time.

7F1szEa.png

DAMN IT! Only 5 challenges left, and I just can't do them... After all the suffering I had to endure with both The Keeper and The lost, I just can't :(......

Brains!, Speed!, Family man, Beans! and the locked one. I complete those 5 and I get 1001%....

Played Antibirth today for the first time, I thought it was really cool! Wish it had come out a bit earlier so I wasn't 'overwhelmed' with Isaac content all in the space of a month though wanting to play it all.

Also, please somehow come to consoles!

I own Rebirth, but haven't played it yet (nor the original). Should I just buy Afterbirth before doing so? I don't know how it works, and I don't want to get into Rebirth, enjoy it, and lose all progress or something if I then buy Afterbirth.

Actually, I own the original too, but I assume there's zero reason to play that over Rebirth?

I would say go for Afterbirth. It has some shitty additions but hopefully Afterbirth+ next week will overcome those, especially with all the mod support.

Nivert

Starting with Afterbirth would let you get your donation machine to 999 in 1 run and ignore the huge grind. Worth it for that alone :p

I'm not a huge fan of how they handle the health for the 2 special bosses in Afterbirth but other than that I think it's just a more complete version of Rebirth and makes the game more enjoyable.

Any character

Alright, cool. Everything online was saying "as Isaac" as if you needed to specifically be Isaac, but I guess they were just referring to the playable character as Isaac no matter who you are.

Starting with Afterbirth would let you get your donation machine to 999 in 1 run and ignore the huge grind. Worth it for that alone :p

I'm not a huge fan of how they handle the health for the 2 special bosses in Afterbirth but other than that I think it's just a more complete version of Rebirth and makes the game more enjoyable.

Once you know how to dodge, Hush is a pushover. I beat him once with a trash build that had no business beating him because once you figure out the patterns you can beat him while only maybe taking a heart of damage. Without scaled HP he'd almost be easier than junk like Brownie or Adversary.

Nivert

Once you know how to dodge, Hush is a pushover. I beat him once with a trash build that had no business beating him because once you figure out the patterns you can beat him while only maybe taking a heart of damage. Without scaled HP he'd almost be easier than junk like Brownie or Adversary.

I just don't like how long it takes (at least in comparison to others) but Ragman first floor with low damage is when I hate everything

Mrfb17

Neo Member
Is there any word on Vita still? I've got Rebirth on Vita and that is the most up to date right?

U know they have said they're working on Afterbirth + at this point. Would love to be able to play the latest version on the vita!

Nivert

Is there any word on Vita still? I've got Rebirth on Vita and that is the most up to date right?

U know they have said they're working on Afterbirth + at this point. Would love to be able to play the latest version on the vita!

I'm pretty sure Tyrone said they weren't happy with performance on Vita, 3DS, and Wii U so they likely weren't getting Afterbirth.

Man, that run I just finished was one of my best runs yet. Lazarus, 8 Inch Nails, Polyphemus, Abaddon, Guppy, Mom's Knife, Tech.5... And a last-minute Dad's Key in the room just before ??? so not only did I get my first ??? kill as Lazarus but also my first Mega Satan kill period. Could have lost it so easily too if Guppy's Collar hadn't triggered when I spent my last Spirit Hearts on it or I hadn't found those Balls of Steel pills at just the right time.

Magwik

Banned
I've held off on Antibirth in hopes of it getting worked into Afterbirth+ as a mod. Also built in missing hud is a godsend.

I've done 3 runs on Antibirth and will wait until it's integrated into Afterbirth+, I just can't play without the Afterbirth QoL improvements.

zulux21

Might be a dumb question but are mods going to be implemented in to the PS4 version or not? Thanks!

it's very unlikely that the mods will come.

they have said they might look into it, but doubt that it will be easy enough to be worth the effort.

Tainted

I have to say Antibirth is pretty damn cool...but I just dislike how it runs off Rebirth and I have to uninstall AB to use it. (Unless there's a way around that)

I've uninstalled it and I'll wait for it to be integrated with AB+ as well

saunderez

I have to say Antibirth is pretty damn cool...but I just dislike how it runs off Rebirth and I have to uninstall AB to use it. (Unless there's a way around that)

My installer moved the necessary files into its own folder so as soon as it was installed I turned Afterbirth back on.

The readme included with the mod says you can reinstall Afterbirth after installing Antibirth. The mod isnt running the same executable that is launched by Steam.

Tainted

My installer moved the necessary files into its own folder so as soon as it was installed I turned Afterbirth back on.

Ah yes, mine did that as well...I just figured your main installation of BoI had to be at Rebirth level. Nice to know I guess, but with AB+ on our doorstep, it may not really matter anymore

Tainted

Indeed. It's hard. I was drained after the fucking Keeper, BRAINS!, SPEED! and Family Man.

The challenges are the only thing stopping me from pursuing those achievements. I think I just got to the point where I was just having more fun doing random character rolls and dailies, I'm not really an achivement whore anyway, so it didn't bother me too much.

Tainted

It really comes down to RNG. I got amazingly lucky with an OP run when I completed it.

I guess you could say that about most of the other achievements as well, for instance, I don't even contemplate doing the Hush fight unless I had an OP build or close to, same (but to a lesser extent) for Mega Satan.

I'm no newbie to Isaac either (400+ hrs in RB/AB) plus 300+ hours in the original BoI....I guess I'm just not a fan of ridiculous long fights against spongey bosses if my build isn't up to snuff.

AoM

I guess you could say that about most of the other achievements as well, for instance, I don't even contemplate doing the Hush fight unless I had an OP build or close to, same (but to a lesser extent) for Mega Satan.

I'm no newbie to Isaac either (400+ hrs in RB/AB) plus 300+ hours in the original BoI....I guess I'm just not a fan of ridiculous long fights against spongey bosses if my build isn't up to snuff.

This pretty much sums up my experience with Gungeon.

Top Bottom