• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth |OT| Greed is Good

Somehow my Afterbirth save file just up and vanished (PS4). The fuck?
All that progress... gone. :(

At least I got my Platinum/1001% trophies before this happened, but I'm absolutely baffled as to why it's no longer there.

zulux21

antibirth is live (just click the download right above the trailer), and right now downloading well.

it's a 458mb download if you can get on the site.

So I picked up guillotine on an Eden run where I got exactly no speed powerups.

And some how managed to beat Boss Rush, Hush, Isaac and Blue Baby.

Continium, Guppy and Holy Shot, plus having two full rows of red hearts with auto heal does wonders. I didn't even have a ton of damage, just three bars. It should have been a terrible run. And yet... it just sort of worked out.

I was almost going to restart the run after messing around with guillotine. But by the end I was basically unkillable.

Antibirth is fun btw, new music is nice and the new items are interesting to play with. Doing an Eden run atm, nice to fight new bosses that aren't pains in the ass like Rag Man.

never mind tyrone ruined everything again
Ia0gIk7.png

how you gonna block a door with rocks man

zulux21

never mind tyrone ruined everything again

how you gonna block a door with rocks man

maybe they programed the randomizer enough that the boss room isn't past that room?

if not that is a room that will need to be removed in a future update as it's dumb to have any room that can end your run just because you don't have bombs.

Erekiddo

I'm a little confused by Antibirth.

I just got an achievement I'm pretty sure was glitched in Afterbirth. (Little Steven) I had seen him a ton but never had the achievement. Saw him as the first boss in Antibirth and it unlocked.

Achievements are still functional with mods?

MrPanic

I'm a little confused by Antibirth.

I just got an achievement I'm pretty sure was glitched in Afterbirth. (Little Steven) I had seen him a ton but never had the achievement. Saw him as the first boss in Antibirth and it unlocked.

Achievements are still functional with mods?

Only certain mods disable achievements, primarily the ones that alter the xml files or room layout files or the rock textures, so there were lots of mods that didn't disable achievements. However, Antibirth is a mod that unlike other mods is build by reverse engineering the game, so it probably bypasses those checks altogether.

Magwik

Banned
I've spent a lot of time grinding out a decent amount of post it notes, and am mostly left with mega satan and hush runs, as well as topping off greed and donation machines. Ugh.

zulux21

so the new co op in antibirth is hard @_@

if either play dies the run is over.

you have to share all of the power ups and there aren't any extra power ups.

it's rather interesting and changes how the game feels, but I am really hoping when mods come the same mode is added just with shared power ups (more of an easy mode compared to babies) as it wouldn't require two very skilled players to play.

Tremis

This man does his research.
I am reallllly enjoying Antibirth so far. Feels so fresh and mysterious. Like a Afterbirth from an alternate timeline or something.

zulux21

hmmm they updated the dead cat a bit in antibirth.
unless I am mistaken it didn't used to take away your soul hearts... now it does.

edit: it also seems that antibirth counts items a bit different.

in normal isaac if you pick up a spacebar guppy item it counts towards your total guppy items even if you switch it out with a different item, in anti it seems it only counts while you are holding it... edit to this.. never mind.. it does count like normal, there just wasn't a notice I became guppy mode.

edit: for unlocking bethany (which requires you have 12 soul hearts, not a real spoiler as it's on the character select screen :p) you can have the black hearts as well.

Looks like there are some real secrets in Antibirth.

I don't know what I did, but I unlocked
a "third path" at some point during some multiplayer runs today. After starting a new run, upon clearing the first floor a new door opened in the boss room that took me to a new series of rooms, dubbed Downpour, Mines, and Mausoleum. If I had to guess, these rooms are connected to unlocking Jacob, and may hold more secrets I haven't yet found.

AoM

Regarding Dead Cat: That's how it worked in the original and, I may be remembering wrong, at the beginning of Rebirth as well.

some bugs as well.
every single boss powerup I got that wasn't a forced drop from a boss was bandage girl :p

that being said I am in decent shape with all normal items from isaac
lol

I haven't encountered that, but it's interesting. So far the only bugs I've found relate to multiplayer, with devil rooms having a hard time deciding which player to base the prices on. tfw I have to give up Brimstone to my little bro because it costs soul hearts instead of red hearts :c

Has anyone attempted the challenges yet?

LAA

Ha ha wow. So they can make BoI for iOS but it's impossible on Vita and Wii U, OK.
That said I did play some on PS4 and liked it more than I thought, so may pick it up eventually.

Ha ha wow. So they can make BoI for iOS but it's impossible on Vita and Wii U, OK.
That said I did play some on PS4 and liked it more than I thought, so may pick it up eventually.

They have Rebirth on Vita and Wii U. Or was there news about Afterbirth coming to iOS? Tyrone only said Rebirth IIRC.

zulux21

to be fair both the vita and wiiu are dead consoles.
and in the case of the vita iphone 6+ are all easily more powerful than it.

but even then both have isaac anyways.

@_@

managed to get to the chest with a half a heart with bethany riding dr fetus.....

picked up a new item.
many eyes... i now shoot 2-5 bombs around me in random directions @_______________________________@ i suppose I might find out what the counter is for now

edit: nope i had lazerous rags so I just changed into him.

anyone know what beth's gimmick does as seen in here http://i.imgur.com/CfICtYa.png aka
what does the 56 hearts mean aside from that I picked up 23 or so soul hearts on the way?

edit: reading around it seems like the dead cat wasn't a change as much as there is a bug that makes it so when you pick up a devil deal it can sometimes remove all of your soul hearts (likely when it would normally kill you) in antibirth.

Watching someone play Antibirth and this mine is crazy fun looking. Creative and unique enemies and the most interesting and unique Isaac boss fight I've ever seen.

Kind of glaring when it's next to Afterbirth's one new mode, a couple of unique bosses that end up just being frustrating (Rag Man, Brownie, Hush), and then a bunch of modifications to old bosses (Stain, Frail, Turdlings). And mostly recolored "new" enemies.

<3 Little Horn though

I can't wait for this to be incorporated into the base game. Or at least, have AB+ compatibility so you're not missing out on actually playable Lost (that also isn't annoying to unlock) and the other quality of life improvements Afterbirth came with.

zulux21

My understanding is that
she can only ever have red hearts and the soul hearts you pick up are added to the left which are used as free charges for whatever spacebar item you have.

ah good to know. would have been fun to go absolutely batshit insane with uses on the spacebar item to see what the limit was :p

Right, perhaps premature a bit as I haven't knocked out every track yet....but:

Damn it all they've probably nailed the soundtrack big time:

https://mudeth.bandcamp.com/album/antibirth-ost

Spoilers for names of places and such I guess but---seriously impressive work and leaves me hoping they've got more to come even if a ways down the line if THIS is the freaking baseline.

Dystension, for one, has some slick layering to it that actually conjures up some of the vintage Isaac chills, even if we all know There Can Be Only One DannyB~

Yo just saying, Angel Rooms saved my run as Bethany yesterday. Went from nearly dead to nigh-invulnerable after a combination of a new item giving me a damaging aura, Trinity Shield, The Wafer, and Guardian Angel. Made it all the way to Mega Satan on that run, was pretty great.

So, playing Antibirth and I just picked up a
mushroom that you can use repeatedly, each time making the game even more like an LSD trip.

It's...amazing.

I genuinely prefer Antibirth to Afterbirth so far. If you installed this on my computer and told me it was Afterbirth+ I genuinely wouldn't bat an eyelid. It's SO good it could easily pass for an official expansion. That bodes really well once the official modding tools hit.

Went to
The Mines
and got my ass kicked.

hbkdx12

I know everyone is talking about antibirth but i just got 1001% in afterbirth and given the completely random and unpredictable nature of this game, it may just be one of my "proudest" completionist trophies

I had no intention on trying to get this trophy when i realized that i needed to beat mega satan with pretty much every character since there were no unlocks tied to mega satan before afterbirth. But then i remembered they changed the mechanics of the sacrifice room which makes getting the key pieces pretty trivial as long as you have enough health. So ironically enough, getting all the mega satan unlocks came pretty easy.

The worst things i experienced were:

The keeper unlocks
- The keeper is awful. I hate triple shot. I also attempted a lot of this before unlocking the wooden nickel. I will say though that the 2 hit limitation makes you realize how easy issac is. I grinded through these unlocks for weeks and once i was done with them and switched to other characters it was unreal how easy the game felt.

Getting the lost to mega satan - You obviously can't grind the sacrifice room due to lack of health so you have to rely on deals with the angel showing up and passing up on free damage boosting items from deals with the devil.

Beating hush and boss rush with lilith
- I just found it difficult to be both fast and efficient with lilith if you don't have good items to carry you.

The Speed and Brains challenges
- Fuck both these challenges. Fuck brains in particular. The speed challenge is a poorly conceived challenge. On paper i could see how someone could think it was interesting but as far as i can tell, the speed challenge is pretty much the challenge that you can't "skill" your way to a win. It seems pretty much impossible if you don't get suitable items to carry you which is unfortunate because the great thing about issac is that it's both a game of skill and RNG but with good skill and game knowledge, you can push back against any shitty RNG and still skill you're way to a win. That being said i still found the brains challenge to be infinitely worse. Just the fact that you can't immediately shoot the brains when they become available to you is probably the most frustrating thing. This was the very last thing i needed to complete to get 1001% and in the end i got sack head, book of revelations which lead to a level 3 bandage girl at womb 1 that ultimately carried me to the end game. On the last few floors i didn't even need to shoot the brains. I just kited enemies until bandage girl did her thing.

Affter months of grinding i did it. Bring on AB+!

However long and however many updates it takes for them to get Antibirth fully situated, I have to believe that it will be the grandest of times on Lethalfrag's stream as he dives deep into (surely) both it and AB+

Heh, everybody is probably checking the anti site at least daily for the blog and bugfixes to come up so a clearer picture can emerge.

Top Bottom