• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ releases 17 Mar 2017 for the Switch

Deja

Kinsei

Banned
Thank you, but what's the difference? Didn't know there was anything other than the standard edition.

The Day 1 edition comes with some cute stickers and a reversible cover. I think the instruction booklet is exclusive to the day 1 edition as well but I'm not 100% sure.

Deja

The Day 1 edition comes with some cute stickers and a reversible cover. I think the instruction booklet is exclusive to the day 1 edition as well but I'm not 100% sure.

It is :( would happily buy the Day 1 edition at a high price if I could find it.

Someone mentioned the word "Fruck" but no idea what that is, google didn't help.

It is :( would happily buy the Day 1 edition at a high price if I could find it.

Someone mentioned the word "Fruck" but no idea what that is, google didn't help.

I may be able to hook you up. I was going to cancel my extra pre-order today but lemme pm you.

Didn't really care for this game when I played the original on PC, but then again, I didn't quite give it a chance when u originally played it.

Don't know whether or not I'll like it this time around, but I think I'll give it a shot.

i only played less than an hour of the original and bounced off it but everyone always talks about how addicting it is....

might have to dip in this wknd and give it a shot

thanks for your impressions, fellow nycer - glad to hear face work well for shooting as i think thats how ill play

There are times where I just can't play games on home consoles, yet, I have no problems playing that same game on a portable. I just find it more fun and I think Isaac falls into that category. Pick up and play whenever you want.

Yea, shooting with the face buttons feels fine since you can only shoot 4 ways anyways. If i'm using a lazer instead of tears, I'll switch to the analog. Just so I can charge it and switch direction easily if need be but 85% of the time I use the face buttons.

never played this. Are there are any games that are similar to this?

Like someone else said, Zelda 1 and Smash TV are the best comparisons. You transition from screen to screen, going through a dungeon until you reach a boss. After you defeat the boss, you'll drop down a hole into a new floor and continue doing the same. There are secret rooms to find, shops, challenge rooms where you'll fight off 3 waves of enemies...a TON of things to collect. Each run is different.

Not to mention, there are other modes to play, and many characters to choose from, each with their own stats AND daily runs with leaderboards.

$40 is more than acceptable for the amount of content this offers. Feels right at home on the Switch.

Walking down the aisle at the store and seeing this game is going to be so exciting. Definitely one of my top 10 games of all time and I hope going physical does wonders for Nicalis.

Mark L

Walking down the aisle at the store and seeing this game is going to be so exciting. Definitely one of my top 10 games of all time and I hope going physical does wonders for Nicalis.

Ditto. I have dumped hours and hours into this game and don't regret it one bit.

Cleve

When do those normally arrive? Just curious, my birthday is coming up in a couple of days.

Answering my own question here, I actually got this on the 2nd, but forgot about it because it only applies to older wiiu/3ds games, that have honestly been available at better deals at some point already. I should have assumed as much knowing nintendo. At least I know I didn't miss out a chance to get a discount on BoI

hiim_haz

Banned
I just pre ordered this yesterday from EBGames since I got a decent amount of credit for 3 games. I don't know what to expect. I've been super on the fence about the game because I'm not sure if I'll like the fact that you start over completely if you die but it does look really fun. Hope I like it.

I just pre ordered this yesterday from EBGames since I got a decent amount of credit for 3 games. I don't know what to expect. I've been super on the fence about the game because I'm not sure if I'll like the fact that you start over completely if you die but it does look really fun. Hope I like it.

I had the same thought initially, but the fact that everything is different when you come back makes it so thrilling. So many times when I play and die I think "okay, I'm done now for a while..." only to start right up again and say "well, let me see what the treasure on this floor is."

Link_enfant

At least you can easily access the NA eShop and buy the game in there.
Waiting for an actual EU release on Switch seems pretty pointless now that I think about it.

hiim_haz

Banned
I had the same thought initially, but the fact that everything is different when you come back makes it so thrilling. So many times when I play and die I think "okay, I'm done now for a while..." only to start right up again and say "well, let me see what the treasure on this floor is."

Yeah that's what makes me intrigued, it seems like every run can be super different.

What happens when you finish a run? Does it just re-start over or do you get to carry forward anything?

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah that's what makes me intrigued, it seems like every run can be super different.

What happens when you finish a run? Does it just re-start over or do you get to carry forward anything?

You unlock items that can then be obtained on future runs. There's also a victory lap feature that lets you keep almost all of your stuff when you start over.

UberTag

Essentially, the hook is that you play through a run with a certain character to a certain outcome and when you complete it, a new item gets added to your randomized pool of power-ups, trinkets, weapons and pickups. So when you play the next time, your randomized pool of potential outcomes is expanded by one... and keeps growing and growing and growing until you have an almost limitless range of possibilities.

That's the hook that keeps you coming back for more.

deadfolk

Ordinarily I wouldn't be too bothered about the whole EU thing, given it's region free.

Except I have €40 in my EU eShop account right now. :(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is the lack of EU release date really that concerning for people? Honest question. They've made importing about as easy as possible on this thing.

Lol

"Is a Nicalis game coming to EU at launch?"

Cmon guys. Cmon.

Yeah, I finally caved and made a US account and bought 40$ worth of eshop monies for this game.
Would have loved a physical edition, or the ability to use the funds on my EU account but I don't want to have to bother with importing and I"m not waiting for the EU eshop release in 2027.

Is the lack of EU release date really that concerning for people? Honest question. They've made importing about as easy as possible on this thing.

Yes. It's still more of a hassle than being able to buy locally.

Defect

I have this game on steam, Xbone and Ps4/vita.

Can't wait to finally have a physical copy and on a Nintendo system! Cartridges are awesome.

Kinsei

Banned
I have no idea what that is. Is it exclusive to AB+?

Yeah it's a new feature you can use every time you beat
The Lamb.
. Each run gets more and more difficult. For example on the first victory lap the difficulty is bumped up to hard (if you're playing on normal) and enemies in the first few stages deal a full heart of damage just like the enemies past
Mom

Yazuka

So are there no way of getting a physical version with the manual? Without having to pay scalpers on ebay that is.

Welp guess I'll just buy on VGP, even if it means no manual :(

EDIT : I would be shipped on April 14th, guess I'll just wait it go down a little bit in price, Persona 5 will keep me company.

Yeah it's a new feature you can use every time you beat
The Lamb.
. Each run gets more and more difficult. For example on the first victory lap the difficulty is bumped up to hard (if you're playing on normal) and enemies in the first few stages deal a full heart of damage just like the enemies past
Mom

What's
the lamb
?? A boss specific to AB+?

Hahaha, I poured over 150 hours into Rebirth... I hope I didn't miss something!

Top Bottom