• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sch1sm

He might be your father, but he ain't your daddy.

Yeah. I almost never play strategy games, but wanted to give it a shot because it ended up looking really neat to me. I just feel like, if I'm going to spend a whole day just to lose, I could be doing other things. I enjoy playing it, but it requires time I'm not sure I have.

It took me something like 50 hours to get my first win on Civ III, and I lost the next 3 games after it. There are ins and outs you pick up over time, for sure. You'd have to be able to just waste days, weeks, to know who to pick for what sort of victory, what your early primary focuses should be in order to achieve that, etc. And then you need to know the nature of the other Civs, for your own safety. Which ones have superior militaries thanks to their bonuses, culture, the works.

It can be really fun when you get into the swing of it, though, so if the time is ever there, I'd strongly suggest going back to it. We can always do an online campaign and team up against the other Civs until it's just us,
then I have 0 mercy for you, and will attempt to destroy yours.
👀👀👀

Y'all play Civ VI? Interesting. I was watching an interview a little while ago and Justin Simien plays it along with Rollercoaster Tycoon. I'm surprised he's a nerd. That small gaming scene came across like it was directed by someone who wasn't a gamer. That shit was corny.

Strategy is one of my favourite genres, easily. I got Civ VI pretty much at release.

D i Z

Been telling y'all what patterns the snake was using for months. Conspiracy brother always the first line of defense.

It can be really fun when you get into the swing of it, though, so if the time is ever there, I'd strongly suggest going back to it. We can always do an online campaign and team up against the other Civs until it's just us,
then I have 0 mercy for you, and will attempt to destroy yours.
👀👀👀

Hmm, I might take you up on that and set up a game one day, but I don't have time to get back into Civ right now.

Except that last part, which has me scurred like
full

I KNOW I'll lose that battle! Going up against an experienced Civ player sounds like the most humbling thing ever.

Zekes!

Never tried it, tbh. I don't play many RTS' in general. Unless it's a good grand strat, then there are exceptions.

Can always grab Civ IV, V, cheap in the upcoming sale if the money ain't right. They have complete editions, so you'll have access to every piece of DLC.

I've thought about it, but I don't love playing games on my Macbook Pro. I played through Diablo 3 at release but it would heat up hotter than the surface of the sun. It's not ideal. Can't wait to get a gaming PC in 2019.

Sch1sm

Hmm, I might take you up on that and set up a game one day, but I don't have time to get back into Civ right now.

Except that last part, which has me scurred like
full

I KNOW I'll lose that battle! Going up against an experienced Civ player sounds like the most humbling thing ever.

It's no worries. I'm on summer, doesn't matter if it's tomorrow or if it's in August. Game will be in our libraries forever, anyway!

Easiest way to learn is to be thrown right into it, gotta admit it.

I've thought about it, but I don't love playing games on my Macbook Pro. I played through Diablo 3 at release but it would heat up hotter than the surface of the sun. It's not ideal. Can't wait to get a gaming PC in 2019.

I play Civ VI on my MacBook Pro sometimes and that shit goes right up to 80C and the fan hits max. It's the worst. I treat it like an indie machine now, since it's way too behind to handle anything even on low.

So DWP goes all-in from the beginning doesn't it.

I just keep asking myself though "who's actually watching this?"
It goes in on political issues, it's a celebration of everything black, it goes into identity and a lot more. There's so much I can say, but I already wrote a ton of shit on in the last thread and would be pointless to do it again, so check that out for my full opinion on why we needed this shit.

I saw the movie but I guess I need to check the show out

MOTHERFUCKERS YES!

Oh see for me I didn't get why they were making a series out of it so I just left it alone.

But all the feels make me curious

For real? Like You couldn't see how the premise of black students on an Ivy League campus couldn't be expanded on, especially when we already had black college shows in the past. Nah ah, that was a mistake.

It's based on the movie, so you'll get some serious déjà vu moments.

There isn't that much beyond them recapping the events in the first movie in the first two episodes. It's primarily its own thing. It's not required to watch the film first at all.

Sch1sm

There isn't that much beyond them recapping the events in the first movie in the first two episodes. It's primarily its own thing. It's not required to watch the film first at all.

Oh, I know it's not required. There were just scenes throughout that had a familiarity to them is what I mean. It's got 2.5x the runtime of the movie, so it's obviously doing it's own thing plenty.

Oh, I know it's not required. There were just scenes throughout that had a familiarity to them is what I mean. It's got 2.5x the runtime of the movie, so it's obviously doing it's own thing plenty.

Yeah, I saw a lot of posts on here from people who were thinking it was just going to be e rerun of the movie and though in the trailer it had shots from the recreated scenes do you think they're going to spend like 5 hours retelling the same story? Me? I just assumed the first episode was going to be a retell. Honestly, the trailer is pretty poor in representing the feel of the show.

Izuna

Banned
So this is what I did. I called a friend of mine to help explain to me how and why I'm wrong. None of you are paid lecturers who are obligated to help explain anything to my ignorant self. None of you are my friends who will put up with it. So right of the bat, I appreciate the attempt made by some of you even though it was not worth your time or something you should have done.

It's going to be tl;dr because there's a lot to say but it'll probably end up on the ignore list anyway.

1. Including White People in the Conversation

Similar to how none of you are meant to explain shit to me, it's not the onus of black people to have a discussion on white people about race relations for many reasons. The reason I will focus on ties into the message of Dear White People. White people are not helping, and they are not getting after being calmly talked to for generations and more. So, black people are sick and tired of being told they are responsible for explaining this stuff.

The point is this: since white people won't understand, refuse to educate themselves or feel the need to take it upon themselves to deal with the racism in their own community, don't join the black community and think their opinions are helpful. (I think this is a line from the movie that slipped past me).

2. The "Black Experience"

By coming into this thread, and talking to people here, I didn't respect that I am talking to people who have had to deal with racism for a good portion or the entirety of their lives.

But where I fucked up, is that as a light-skin person, I was welcomed into the community. One drop rule and all. That doesn't mean I have the authority to talk about how to address white people or that I can criticise a discussion because I don't have the same experiences. It's like "nigga, check yourself". I am relatively privileged and I should have respect for those who have it worse. And the fact that my experiences are different compounded by the fact that I'm from the UK adds to this.

Last but not least, convoluted opinions aside, this isn't the thread to do this. I think it was Gordon who tried to get this across many times and I missed it. If I want to talk about race, or have some discussion, whether it is helpful or not is one thing, but this isn't the place to do it. (and if you're reading this Gordon, that was the content of that PM you most probably deleted)

==

The fact that I'm showing up here an hour later, acting like I know better, means nothing. It's less garbage, but I still brought garbage here and what's done is done. Pretty much, who cares that I'm a little less ignorant. It's a selfish need to clear my thoughts but I'll be ain't shit for the foreseeable future.

This isn't a ticket back in or anything, regardless I gotta give y'all some space.

==

ninja edit:

I'll give this a try. Let me preface this by saying I'm glad that you've found solace in this thread, really. It's really reaffirming to know that this thread isn't for naught.

Now, your critique of Dear White People is centered on whiteness and white people's feelings and you don't seem to sympathize with the Black protagonists very much. Your understanding of racism, and segregation are myopic, whitewashed tripe and color your view of the film/show. And on top of it all, you seemingly have tasked the show with having the end goal of making white people "woke". Now your criticisms and standing on race underscore your position in this thread as it is an indictment on black rage. You're in a black ass space but seemingly don't understand or sympathize with black life--like we have a fucking horse in here commiserating with us, nigga. You are invalidating our plight while getting your life to this thread....does that not seem a little fucked up to you? What's worse is how you go on these rationalist(but really irrational) tangents that are mired in obtuseness and border on sea lioning. Your relationship with blackness is one way, that's parasitic. How is it you can be Kekeing with us, sharing black ass memes and joke while undermining black life? It's not that you don't like dear white people, it's that you are criticizing us by proxy, you're saying our anger isn't as valid as we think. And until you understand that, you ain't shit.

I didn't have any intention to do all of this but intentions stop mattering when the breaks have been put in place and yet I ride through them. (My analogies are getting worse).

The way my friend put it, or rather the analogy that helped me understand a little more (because I'm not claiming to be a master here)... is imagining Piers Morgon criticising the execution of Sadam Hussain when he has no idea or seen first hand the effects of what that man did. He doesn't know shit, so he should shut up because his opinion will never matter.

RedSwirl

So DWP is a movie and a show? I thought I'd heard about a movie a while ago but assumed they'd just turned it into a show or something.

Expected, but I tried.

Nevermind.

Kid.

My advice to you. Legit take TIME out your day, your life, whatever, and try and see, read about, and get more of the experience of life that you ain't got.

Genuine advice right now. Read up, study, make a trip out to where black folks congregate that aren't of wealth and privilege and see how the people living.

Izuna

Banned
Kid.

My advice to you. Legit take TIME out your day, your life, whatever, and try and see, read about, and get more of the experience of life that you ain't got.

You're under no obligation, but do you have book titles for me?

Genuine advice right now. Read up, study, make a trip out to where black folks congregate that aren't of wealth and privilege and see how the people living.

Sorry.

And I don't expect there's any misunderstanding, I'm probably just stupid here but... This isn't meant to read like "I know it all!" It's me trying to understand this reaction I'm getting.

Izuna

Banned

There's no eBook version so I ordered the paperback.

Thank you, your order has been placed.
We've sent you an e-mail confirmation.
New Stay up to date with your order. Get the Amazon app.

Order Number: [redacted]
The Wretched of the Earth (Penguin Modern Classics) will be delivered to [redacted] from Amazon EU Sàrl.
Guaranteed delivery date: 30 May 2017

~~

Really, I don't want to lose one of the most comfortable places so if it's even possible I'll do what it takes.

so, I won't try again. If I read the book and I'm not sure I get it, then I won't bother. Thank you for the book suggestion. It's more than kind considering.

There's is literally no intention to say anything offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom