• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boys S2 arrives Sept 4th!

nkarafo

The password scene was a bit cringe. I admit i hadn't see this bullshit trope for a while, i didn't expect it to see it in this show.

Weiji

Banned
Loving this season. The deep commercial was fucking hilarious.

I am absolutely loving this. Better then season 1 (which I also liked), totally stepped into hardcore dark comedy.

Absolutely loving the writing, and surprised to be digging the evil Stormfront character. Perfect fake liberal Portland racist.

Love the way they intertwine woke shit throughout in a sarcastic bullshit way.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't like where this season is going. I thought they had the chance to set up a
Boys vs Vaught dynamic, but apparently they aren't going in that direction. The final sex scene with Homelande and Stormfront was cringeworthy.

TheMan

Did we know that Stormfront was that powerful? I'm guessing there may be a physical confrontation at some point but she if she can take HOmelander's eye laser and get wet and also throw him around like a ragdoll, then she's going to put up a hell of a fight

I can sort of see how the showrunners thought this season was woke, but woke people's idea of reality is so distorted that they can't relate it to normal people.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Ep5 was my favourite of Season 2. Some stuff was pretty weak - bluffing Vaught cop out - but it was still the best so far. Homelander and Stormfront is the most interesting element of the show, and I'm keen to see where that goes from here.

Neil Young

Thought episode 5 was pretty bad and the season is shitty so far.

The season has no direction, the storylines are all over the place. What is everyone's motivation? Making a fucking movie? I thought there would be a huge backlash since the compound v reveal. I guess not, but they snuck in people getting mad about Homelander killing a terrorist? That annoying PR woman who gets WAY too much screen time is so worried about Homelander, meanwhile Stormfront is out there shitting on the company. I was hoping Homelanders dream was real as at least something interesting would have happened. Hugh is useless, what the fuck is going on with The Female and it seems like I've seen 5 movies or shows recently where someone was able to figure out a password instantly. I still have hi hope's that they will finish up strong.

-Arcadia-

Banned

The season has no direction, the storylines are all over the place. What is everyone's motivation? Making a fucking movie? I thought there would be a huge backlash since the compound v reveal. I guess not, but they snuck in people getting mad about Homelander killing a terrorist? That annoying PR woman who gets WAY too much screen time is so worried about Homelander, meanwhile Stormfront is out there shitting on the company. I was hoping Homelanders dream was real as at least something interesting would have happened. Hugh is useless, what the fuck is going on with The Female and it seems like I've seen 5 movies or shows recently where someone was able to figure out a password instantly. I still have hi hope's that they will finish up strong.

I felt that way about the first season.

You get hooked with this awesome premise of a really cool cast taking revenge on a world full of evil superheroes, and it just meanders all over the place instead.

It’s more like a slice-of-life exploring several different groups and characters in a fascinating setting. Some of that really, really works. Most of it could benefit from being ripped out of the script and never spoken of again. This series lacks direction and a focus on what works, instead of trying anything and everything, and never dropping any of it.

It almost feels like ‘The Boys’ are side characters in their own show. When we do see them, they’re stuck doing busywork, and maybe, just maybe, sometimes they get to do something cool for a brief moment, usually while being interrupted with cuts to the other characters.

Last edited:

TheMan

yeah now that I think about, why doesn't anyone give a shit about all the stuff Stormfront says? It's completely ignored.

xrnzaaas

You know what, I wouldn't mind if the show killed off most of the cast and kept Homelander & Stormfront. The number of characters I really don't care about or who have their storylines in a boring place is increasing.

Last edited:
Alright boys we're back on track! Episode 5 was damn good!

Also, Stormfront stealing the spotlight this season, she's such a bitch. Love her.

But Stormfront + Homelander is a very dangerous thing. Of course she'll eventually fuck with/kill him but still... they'll work together and that is fucked up

Ornlu

Banned
I'm waiting to binge when the whole season is out; reading the polar opposite takes here is gold, though! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Pretty sweet episode 5, getting back on track. Some good writing and some lazy trope writing. Overall a much better episode, a few chess pieces on the move now. I'd like them to commit a bit more e.g. Homelander's actions.

Also the line "Don't be a pussy, now laser my fucking tits" continues to kill me. The scene was average but that one liner was worth it.
Stormfront was a great addition and the actress handles her really well, same goes for Homelander and their interplay.

Fbh

Episode 5 was better though "The Boys" still feel like side characters in their own show.

And it kept reinforcing how I wish stuff in this show had larger consequences.
Like they finally manage to expose Compound V but in the same chapter Vought fixes it by having some conference blaming it on Stilwell and that's sort of just it? Then there's some video showing Homelander collaterally killing an innocent bystander, then he goes face the crowd and it seems like public opinion about him will finally start to change.......and in the same chapter Stormfront just fixes it with "memes" and that's that.

Episode 5 was better though "The Boys" still feel like side characters in their own show.

Like they finally manage to expose Compound V but in the same chapter Vought fixes it by having some conference blaming it on Stilwell and that's sort of just it? Then there's some video showing Homelander collaterally killing an innocent bystander, then he goes face the crowd and it seems like public opinion about him will finally start to change.......and in the same chapter Stormfront just fixes it with "memes" and that's that.
I feel as if Stormfront is putting up a...front as it relates to Vought. She's talked all this shit publicly about them, but the way I see it she's working very closely with Vought to revamp their image. Tear them down build them back up and proclaim the company has changed. She will now more than likely have Homelander wrapped around her finger. This is what Vought wanted.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Uh, have you seen real life in the last 10 years? That’s exactly what happens.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Some mad takes in this thread.

Show has padding and development focus a bit too much with a lack a on strong push for direction but since all characters have had enough development now anyone who dies will generate shock value.

Weiji

Banned
I can sort of see how the showrunners thought this season was woke, but woke people's idea of reality is so distorted that they can't relate it to normal people.

I mean if it’s supposed to be it’s pretty poorly constructed. It plays like the woke elements are being made fun of, at least to me.

Fbh

Uh, have you seen real life in the last 10 years? That’s exactly what happens.

No it isn't? Even if they end up getting away with it, there's usually lengthy legal battles, a change in public perception, some people go to jail. They don't just give a single public statement and it's over.

Since Heroes in this world are basically celebrities just look at how many celebrities have been cancelled in recent years due to sexual misconduct allegations, how many new Kevin Spacey movies have you seen as of late?. Guess he should have just made some memes and he'd still working.

royox

At this point how many powers does Stormfront have?

Super Strenght
Super Durability (even Homelander's Lasers, my gosh)
Lightning
Flying
Regeneration
Not getting old

What in the actual of the fucks?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
At this point how many powers does Stormfront have?

Super Strenght
Super Durability (even Homelander's Lasers, my gosh)
Lightning
Flying
Regeneration
Not getting old

What in the actual of the fucks?

She basically has Thor's/Shazam's powers. She (originally he) is a parody of those two.

Eh I'm not really feeling it anymore. First maybe 2-3 episodes of season 1 were great but it went downhill from there.

Season 2 has just been meh from episode 1 and descending rapidly.

Too much meandering, pointless scenes or characters. Too many characters full stop. Nobody seems to have any proper motivation anymore and every time they get caught they keep being let go for some contrived reason.

A bunch of random interpersonal soap opera faux drama nonsense. Feels like I'm watching a CW show.

Even though it takes some jabs at woke corporatism it does so while being absolutely drenched in woke ideology itself.

From the casting choices (Race swapped, gender swapped and for some reason all the female characters are kind of ugly, must not be fodder for "the male gaze" afterall!), to the emasculated male characters (The Deep, Homelander, Huey, Frenchy) to the only character to have powers being "the female" while the show refuses to call her that and makes a point to say "she has a name! It's Kimiko!" because afterall, "female" is an evil alt right word, to the A-Train nonsense being in a store and having a security guard come up to him...I mean really how on the nose do you have to be? Not to mention the 50 yr old female exec in season one breaking the glass ceiling but ALSO completely denying biology and having a baby, that's right ladies, you CAN in fact have it all! Not like there is any such thing as biology after all!

To the over the top anti Christian/conservative stuff (I'm athiest but it has gotten so bad these days that I have to eye roll when I see that kind of stuff), not to mention the whole #MeToo direction they took the blowjob scene.

It is nice they are making fun of the Disney/MCU/Super Hero trends in cinema and the soulless corporatism involved but I feel like we spend way too much time at Vought with all that shit to the point that the boys themselves are barely even in their own show. There is also things like "Oh raised without a mother Homelander turned out evil! Only those raised with a mother can be good!" tied in with all the stupid mommy issues that Homelander is supposed to have.

Don't even get me started on whatever pointless nonsense they are doing with The Deep's character. At this point the show just isn't fun or entertaining and to make matters worse the actress who plays Starlight is really annoying. I think I'm out, sorry guys but the show is going nowhere.

frostyxc

I'm still willing to see where the show ends up by the end of season two, but if I see another article with the showrunner running his mouth about how clever he is... I'm just going to get annoyed and yell at a cloud, consarn it!

McCheese

Great episode, loved the madhouse scenes. Not sure I follow the logic of taking him to a hospital for a few days when they are wanted criminals, figured butcher would get the fuck out of there asap. Curious who is croaking it in the final two episodes, my money is on maeve and storefront biting the dust, you don't pull one over homelander and live.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
First 2-3 episodes of S1 were great, then it slid down badly for me. S2 looks like the opposite trajectory somehow. Episode 6 was better than 5, and 5 of was my favourite S2 episode so far. Is it a budget limit or something?

Stormfront and Homelander continue to be my favourite dynamic on the show, but there were a lot of good moments peppered throughout, as well as actual stuff happening for a change. The "Pride Bar" had me in stitches - the clinical use of LGBTQ folks for cold corporate propaganda and profit is well lampooned this season, bravo. Homelander's trailer fire was another win. Frenchy had actual fucking development - only took a season and a half - and Butcher and Starlight having some moments was long overdue. Hughey continues to be useless, please kill him quickly. But Stormfront's monologue to Homelander was an absolute home run - brilliantly evil words from someone who doesn't know they're evil. More of that, please.

Last edited:
Lot of split opinions on this season. The Stormfront/Homelander dynamic does nothing for me which may be why I'm so-so on the season. I think the main drawback so far is too many characters/focuses. Pick two points of view and follow them. This mistake happens to a low of shows and I always wonder if its actors crying for more time.

Davey Cakes

Lot of split opinions on this season. The Stormfront/Homelander dynamic does nothing for me which may be why I'm so-so on the season. I think the main drawback so far is too many characters/focuses. Pick two points of view and follow them. This mistake happens to a low of shows and I always wonder if its actors crying for more time.
Too many characters with limited time, especially within The Seven. Maeve's storyline is a bit unnecessary at this point. I actually like what's going on with The Deep and A-Train but I do think that they maybe should have entire episodes dedicated to them. Sprinkling these characters in while we're trying to be engaged with The Boys and Homelander/Stormfront seems to detract from the overall viewing experience.

It's an 8 episode season trying to fit in 12-16 episodes of content and development. I'm okay with it overall but there's room for improvement. Perhaps this season can be seen as "transitional" as some major developments are happening fast. I didn't expect the Compound-V exposure plot to happen this soon, honestly.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I almost wouldn’t mind if it split into two shows Vought/The Seven and The Boys.

Maybe set them in different time periods too, as I get the feeling that half the reason The Boys never get to do anything, is that the writers don’t want to kill off any of The Seven, as they’re writing half the show around them.

Davey Cakes

I'm okay with the season being backloaded. The first half isn't bad, but is mostly character-focused. That'll pay off in the long run. I do care about the characters. However, it is nice that the overall intensity is ratcheting up in the back half. I think we're looking at a "buildup and payoff" situation.

Last edited:
I'm okay with the season being backloaded. The first half isn't bad, but is mostly character-focused. That'll pay off in the long run. I do care about the characters. However, it is nice that the overall intensity is ratcheting up in the back half. I think we're looking at a "buildup and payoff" situation.

I hope we see more of the creative ways to fight supes and kill them, that was gold in S1. Also want to see a fully unhinged Homelander off the leash.

Davey Cakes

I hope we see more of the creative ways to fight supes and kill them, that was gold in S1. Also want to see a fully unhinged Homelander off the leash.
Part of me wants him to go on a rampage and destroy his image. Part of me wants him to cool it down and regain his PR adeptness. I do enjoy his public self being a hero and private self being a monster.

Part of me wants him to go on a rampage and destroy his image. Part of me wants him to cool it down and regain his PR adeptness. I do enjoy his public self being a hero and private self being a monster.

Yeah I get that too, I wouldn't want the rampage to kill off or create bad writing scenarios for such a great character/actor. I think you're right with keeping that public vs private aspect alive.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Honestly, that's what I enjoyed about the first few episodes of Season 1. I felt like that's an amazing premise; figuring out and bringing down these god-like people, eventually building up to fighting and killing Superman. Instead, we got awkward breastfeeding and Hughey. Feels like a bit of wasted potential.

Top Bottom