• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boys S2 arrives Sept 4th!

-Arcadia-

Banned
Jensen Ackles confirmed for Season 3.

The only reason to care about this show at this point. Whatever material is handed him, he will likely elevate it, and make it a must-watch.

On a side note, it’s actually sad to see him leaving Dean behind in looks after 15 years. I can’t believe that show is finally ending (has ended for the actors), and I’m genuinely having trouble coming to terms with it.

bati

Just finished. Fucking diabolical, lol. Had to watch many scenes a couple of times because they were so great, which is a real rarity with tv shows for me.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It kinda seems that way. Though at the same time we don't know if Homelander was really going all out and we haven't really seen him fighting seriously.

The power levels aren't very clear. At some point they seemed to be hinting that Stormfront is close to Homelander in power but then she gets beaten fairly easily in the final episode

Maeve, Starlight and Kimiko all have super strength and a level of invulnerability with Kimiko having a wolverine type healing factor. Plus she was beaten by 3 supes at once! She got what she deserved!

Fbh

Maeve, Starlight and Kimiko all have super strength and a level of invulnerability with Kimiko having a wolverine type healing factor. Plus she was beaten by 3 supes at once! She got what she deserved!

I guess it's because the whole thing about Homelander is supposed to be that he is so OP he could basically take out everyone (or at least take down a lot of them before he is stopped). So the whole "resisting his laser sight" thing seemed to hint that Stormfront was pretty op too, but she went down fairly easily.

Last edited:

Liamario

Banned
I'm confident that Jessie Usher (A train) is gay. Not the character, but the actor. That's not an issue for me, but everyone once in a while you see some feminine mannerisms. When he does them, it takes me out of the show for that moment because I don't think the character is meant to be gay in the show. Am I the only one who has noticed it?

Majukun

season was good although a little meandering and aimless or just straight slow in some parts.

some plotpoints were also kind of strange,with some people suddenly doing things without a proper setup or explanation, like for example

Butcher being treated like he disappeared for the first episode or so, and then suddenly frenchie goes and calls him back without an explanation (unless i missed it) of how exactly he did know where to find the guy that previously they didn't knew if he was dead or alive.

but that also might be because english is not my main language and some of those accent are thick as fuck.

final twist, although i got it earlier, sure needs a lot of explanations

it's completely unclear on what side she is...i mean what she did during the hearing is clearly pro Vought since they were going to sink, but the rest she does, even if it' a cover, it's a clear issue for the company that she doesn't really need to create...unless her objectives are explained on season 3

All in all i'd say it looked a little more unfocused and wanting excess for shock value (they sure love their splatter), but all in all i enjoyed it.

Also i remember people beng pre-emptively angry because the writers said the show was gonna take some political stuff, but I think they handled it pretty well, only got a bit too much on the nose one time.

I'm confident that Jessie Usher (A train) is gay. Not the character, but the actor. That's not an issue for me, but everyone once in a while you see some feminine mannerisms. When he does them, it takes me out of the show for that moment because I don't think the character is meant to be gay in the show. Am I the only one who has noticed it?

not sure that's how being gay works

Liamario

Banned
season was good although a little meandering and aimless or just straight slow in some parts.

some plotpoints were also kind of strange,with some people suddenly doing things without a proper setup or explanation, like for example

Butcher being treated like he disappeared for the first episode or so, and then suddenly frenchie goes and calls him back without an explanation (unless i missed it) of how exactly he did know where to find the guy that previously they didn't knew if he was dead or alive.

but that also might be because english is not my main language and some of those accent are thick as fuck.

it's completely unclear on what side she is...i mean what she did during the hearing is clearly pro Vought since they were going to sink, but the rest she does, even if it' a cover, it's a clear issue for the company that she doesn't really need to create...unless her objectives are explained on season 3

All in all i'd say it looked a little more unfocused and wanting excess for shock value (they sure love their splatter), but all in all i enjoyed it.

Also i remember people beng pre-emptively angry because the writers said the show was gonna take some political stuff, but I think they handled it pretty well, only got a bit too much on the nose one time.

Obviously not everyone who is gay has feminine mannerisms. But it can be a good indicator albeit a stereotype.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

First spoiler

they actually had a short 5 min episode detailing what Butcher was doing after Homelander dropped him off in another state... I think it was called "Butcher"

Second spoiler

here is a video that explains some things about Victoria Neumann... I believe she's loyal to Vought and especially Stan Edgar... Remember, Stormfront was saying some pretty anti-Vought stuff too but that was endorsed by Edgar... Listen to this video

Hope that helps.

nkarafo

The power levels aren't very clear. At some point they seemed to be hinting that Stormfront is close to Homelander in power but then she gets beaten fairly easily in the final episode
That bothers me as well. I still don't know how strong Homelander is really. If he is supposed to be like Superman then Stormfront was far from being "nearly as powerful". She even got stabbed in the eye by a mare human. A common metallic object was harder than her eyeball...

Could this happen to Homelander too? Superman doesn't even shed a tear if a bullet hit his eye! And what about the exploding head supe? Could Homelander's head explode too?

Everything we know about Homelander's durability and strength is from the dialog. Like how we are told "there is no weapon that can kill him" or how "he has no weakness". Appart from that all we know is that he has a pretty potent lazer that cuts humans like butter and he is at least as strong as the other supes "or better". Oh and the other supes are afraid of him so he must be really strong, MUCH stronger than whatever Stormfront was. But is he? Where is the scene where he outpowers 3 other supes at the same time with ease?

Thats why i want to see him snap and become a killing machine, not caring about his rep (which is his only real weakness, right Butcher?) Maybe then we can see how really strong he is when all the other supes have no choice but to defend against him.

Last edited:

Majukun

Second spoiler

here is a video that explains some things about Victoria Neumann... I believe she's loyal to Vought and especially Stan Edgar... Remember, Stormfront was saying some pretty anti-Vought stuff too but that was endorsed by Edgar... Listen to this video

Hope that helps.

I mean I get it
in fact i started suspecting the woman after the courtroom scene since she was an obvious target yet was untouched (of course it could have been bad writing).

thing is , I don't see what advantage Vaught has fom having her lead an anti vaught/anti sup campaign ....seems like a shitton of pr damage that they could just do without since it doesn't really bring any advantage on the table for them, other than to surprise the audience.
especially when you have someone that can just kill someone by looking at him, which means they don't really fear anything...head popper could have just been at the trial as an audience member and the result would have been the same

in the video they say they are manipulating the debate, but there's no trace of it in the story, in fact they went a minute away from homelander going ballistic on the crowd and ruining Vaught forever, and that's thanks to headpopper inciting the public against sups and vaught

That bothers me as well. I still don't know how strong Homelander is really. If he is supposed to be like Superman then Stormfront was far from being "nearly as powerful". She even got stabbed in the eye by a mare human. A common metallic object was harder than her eyeball...

Could this happen to Homelander too? Superman doesn't even shed a tear if a bullet hit his eye! And what about the exploding head supe? Could Homelander's head explode too?

Everything we know about Homelander's durability and strength is from the dialog. Like how we are told "there is no weapon that can kill him" or how "he has no weakness". Appart from that all we know is that he has a pretty potent lazer that cuts humans like butter and he is at least as strong as the other supes "or better". Oh and the other supes are afraid of him so he must be really strong, MUCH stronger than whatever Stormfront was. But is he? Where is the scene where he outpowers 3 other supes at the same time with ease?

Thats why i want to see him snap and become a killing machine, not caring about his rep (which is his only real weakness, right Butcher?) Maybe then we can see how really strong he is when all the other supes have no choice but to defend against him.
wellit just isn't important to the story right now.
homelander is just supposed to be an insurmoutable obstacle our protagonists are supposed to circumvent and avoid..that he can benchpress a planet or just push down a skyscraper doesn't really matter, it's not that kind of story

Last edited:

Wvrs

I went on a deep dive after the finale and binge-read the entire comic series over a few days. Anyone else done the same? (No spoilers).

I enjoy the show a hell of a lot more.

I am a bit disappointed about S2 as well.

That shit with Deep and the church went nowhere. It feels like they don't have any idea what to do with him except for the same joke with his sea "friends" dying gruesome deaths. I mean the whale scene was hilarious, but still.

Herr Edgy

You wanna tell us something?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I am a bit disappointed about S2 as well.

That shit with Deep and the church went nowhere. It feels like they don't have any idea what to do with him except for the same joke with his sea "friends" dying gruesome deaths. I mean the whale scene was hilarious, but still.

What they need is an editor. I don’t even mean someone who cuts the filmed product, but rather someone whose sole purpose is to review scripts, and smack the writers in the head every time they leave a plot point dangling, forget their own universe rules, chase pet political causes, write extraneous scenes, introduce unnecessary characters, and ignore their main characters.

I’ll do it for free, so we can finally have a season that fulfills the promise of that first episode or two.

TimFL

I was so excited when I saw that scene of him mowing down the protestors near the tower, only to be heavily disappointed by it being a sick daydream.
That being said, I do think that he is essentially this universe Superman with potentially no weakness at all other than his desire to be praised and loved by others.
I think that‘s kind of the fascinating thing about the 2 groups crossing paths. Homelander knows he could end them at any time and goes about it with a playful manner, the boys know they are infinitely outclassed by him and have to essentially think 3 corners ahead to get him to not kill them.

Season 3 can‘t come soon enough.

Dazrael

Homelander is susceptible to zinc though, or at least as far as he can’t see through it. He also
was incapacitated by those sonic Vought doodads, enough to cause him irritation.

I think the Critical Drinker kind of nails it.

The biggest problem with S2 is, that there is no real progression, and everybody is back to square 1 after all that hassle.

Top Bottom