• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boys S2 arrives Sept 4th!

Honestly, that's what I enjoyed about the first few episodes of Season 1. I felt like that's an amazing premise; figuring out and bringing down these god-like people, eventually building up to fighting and killing Superman. Instead, we got awkward breastfeeding and Hughey. Feels like a bit of wasted potential.

I hope it is something they return to this seasons. It happens so often with shows and games, they just miss what made the thing great to start with. Often they're trying new things to keep it fresh when in reality all viewers/gamers actually want is the same set of rules applied in fresh ways to keep interest. They could have kept rotating the members of the Vought Seven as they were getting killed off, almost like each episode was a goal to figure out how to separate and defeat one supe at a time. It would continue all season increasing the wackiness or difficulty with each kill. The dynamics at play would have been something unique. Shows and games are always so afraid of killing off or not focusing on characters. It's always this drama reality show aspect, we want the setups, the creativity. Fuck the motivations and back stories, it's never what draws me into any media nor keeps me entertained over and over.

ripeavocado

Banned
With only two episodes left my only complaint is that so far it has been quite slow, it would have been fine if it was a 12 episodes season

buizel

Banned
With only two episodes left my only complaint is that so far it has been quite slow, it would have been fine if it was a 12 episodes season

wow really? fuck all has happened. im sure people will see homelander snap in the next few episodes.

hot take:

this show is really bad. ive watched it all so far because theres nuggets of gold sprinkled in the unpleasant shit . i mostly skip through the boring bits (which is like 70/30 split).

also starlights ass. that and homelander trying to keep calm/not keeping calm is the 2 good things on this show.

lifa-cobex

So the church leader is exploding heads, right? A-Train's rival was killed.
Exactly my thoughts.
X9OOR9F.jpg

Last edited:

nkarafo

So how strong this "head exploding" power is, whoever has it? There was definitely a super getting hit by it. So i wonder if someone like Homelander has to worry about it?

Durien

Honestly, that's what I enjoyed about the first few episodes of Season 1. I felt like that's an amazing premise; figuring out and bringing down these god-like people, eventually building up to fighting and killing Superman. Instead, we got awkward breastfeeding and Hughey. Feels like a bit of wasted potential.
IMO Hughey is one of the most important people in the show. All the characters are larger than life in the show with the exception of Hughey. The funny thing is, I think Hughey might be a Supe with extreme luck. (Deadpool 2 Luck isn't a super power) If you look at the situations he has been put in, he comes out unscathed (physically since psychological his world is falling apart around him) with the exception of the last episode which he could have been much worse. in Hughey's eyes everyone around him have been through hell and back with their own Codenames and he is just Hughey.

Just my observation.

I really liked last episode

There was a lot of cringe in that last episode. One nice fight scene and then exploding heads. I did like the scene of Butcher and his father. John Noble was a good choice.

-Arcadia-

Banned
There might be supe terrorists coming across the border. Make America safe again. Do you listen to Pewdiepie? From the lady that revealed herself to be an actual Nazi last episode. Fuck off.

Yeah, I've given this show a wellspring of patience, and actually appreciated that it would poke fun at some woke corporatism, even if it itself was woke corporatism. Likewise, the subtlety of the latter made it more tolerable.

Here, I just laughed and turned it off. Like most things woke, it couldn't go it's whole run containing itself. The full-volume screeching had to come out eventually.

I'll be back for The Soyboys S3, to see Ackles in his first post-Supernatural role, but it finally lost me here. I'm not willing to swim through miles of mediocrity and ideology for a speck of good storytelling.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Haven't watched the latest episode and I'm in no hurry to honestly. The show has gradually lost my interest, just too much boring filler. Like, sorry Frenchie I don't give a shit about your boring backstory or your bestie that overdosed or the fire guy that is supposed to be tormented by his past but just looks like a lost puppy dog. And Hughie should just stay in the hospital and not be seen for several episodes.

Hardensoul

This season has had way too deep valleys than peaks. Episode 7 just felt liked it's going deeper down the valley. Just sad, season 1 was so enjoyable.

Last edited:
Doom Patrol is a better show and deserves attention. DC Universe start hurt it like the Youtube start hurt Cobra Kai. HBO Max doesn't seem to do much for it, but that's because HBO's online setup is a mess. (Discussed repeatedly in the Raised by Wolves thread.)

Hardensoul

Doom Patrol is a better show and deserves attention. DC Universe start hurt it like the Youtube start hurt Cobra Kai. HBO Max doesn't seem to do much for it, but that's because HBO's online setup is a mess. (Discussed repeatedly in the Raised by Wolves thread.)

How is Raised by Wolves, was intrigued after seeing episode one on Youtube. But after how Game of Thrones ended and Westworld sinking during/after season2, I'm hesitant to sub to HBO max. Already have Netflix/Amazon.

Armorian

Banned
How is Raised by Wolves, was intrigued after seeing episode one on Youtube. But after how Game of Thrones ended and Westworld sinking during/after season2, I'm hesitant to sub to HBO max. Already have Netflix/Amazon.

It's good but not comparable to first seasons of GoT or even Vikings (at its peak).

Doom Patrol... it's ok and I like it but they cranked up weirdness and bullshit to some extreme levels in few episodes (still I love Sex Demon :messenger_grinning_smiling: ). Umbrella Academy is the best super hero show right now aside The Boys (but both are worse than DD S1...).

It's good but not comparable to first seasons of GoT or even Vikings (at its peak).

Doom Patrol... it's ok and I like it but they cranked up weirdness and bullshit to some extreme levels in few episodes (still I love Sex Demon :messenger_grinning_smiling: ). Umbrella Academy is the best super hero show right now aside The Boys (but both are worse than DD S1...).

I like the weirdness. The weirdest parts or concepts are some of the things I loved the most.

I agree that Raised by Wolves is not a GoT type. It's a very different vibe. I like it though.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Dunno why people are crying about the Black Noir reveal when I'm more confused how I just sat and watched Queen Maeve shove a chocolate bar in his mouth and he started frothing at the mouth. How the fuck you gonna know what the most elusive member of the Seven is allergic too?

Also the comic reveal is full on cocaine fueled madness so it's better being something else.

Other than that I'm still happy with the show, whack moments and all, just means S3 has to be more action based since this was all character motives for people to go against Homelander.

trikster40

Wait, episode 7 was the season finale? Well, crap.

having not read the comics, I’ve e joyed it. It does have its cringe moments but it’s good entertainment.

Birdo

Banned
I binged Series 2 this week (I'm up to Episode 6).

Really boring compared to Series 1. The sub-plotlines are just dragging on and on. Every time it goes back to the Church crap, I just want to fast forward throught it.

Both series 1 and 2 could have been condensed into a great single series with zero padding.

nkarafo

So, Stormfront wasn't that indestructible then.

I still wonder how Homelander would fare against a small group of supers. He still haven't shown his true powers, all he did so far is killing normal humans and a couple of shitty "supervillains" with his lasers.

There's a lot in that final episode. The setup for s2 is obvious.

But..

Why would Headpoppin AOC need to kill all those folks at the hearing? I don't see what it gains her.

Last edited:
Top Bottom