• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Chinese Room accuses CD Projekt Red of making sexist games

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoddGutts

The Chinese Room makes boring games but you don't see CD Projeck accusing them for that. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs was so boring that it killed the Amnesia IP.

1. I like both The Chinese Room and CD Projekt Red, but found both of their last outings kind of boring.

2. I like the Witcher series.

3. So far the only media I've seen of Cyberpunk is that CG teaster trailer from a few years ago and this picture now of a chick in lingerie and her tits hanging out.

4. Before you grab your pitch forks, explain to me why I should be interested in Cyberpunk outside of CD Projekt's pedigree if all I have to go on is a pic of a chick in lingerie.

5. Just because you don't like walking simulators doesn't mean they aren't games.

RevenWolf

I dunno, get Geralt and Dandelion just drunk enough, under a full moon with a warm summer breeze and they might just confess their eternal love to eachother. Though I'd argue that Zoltan and Geralt's bromance is stronger.

Well see? CD can't possibly show that threesome happen! All the passion would surely require angles that end up earning the game an AO rating :p

boskee

Oh I know it comes from wow, but it's also pretty commonly used at 4chan at the moment (more then usual), hence my interpretation.

If I'm incorrect I apologise and take back my interpretation.

Oh I don't know about that, as I tend to steer away from 4chan.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Its not even a real character. Its just promo at the end of the day after so many years.

Plus Cypberpunk is not known for being PC. Because it seems that scantly clad is now sexism as per the context. Since the talking point isn't Witcher, and even if it was blame the source but even then people are missing the strong female characters in the series overall.
Not being PC can be cool but I'll repeat myself : CDPR writes some good shit

BUT they still put some dumb shit in their games I think. Sure there are some Strong Female Characters™ but sometimes that trope is dumb as fuck and Witcher games haven't always been very subtle about it, that's all.

1. I like both The Chinese Room and CD Projekt Red, but found both of their last outings kind of boring.

3. So far the only media I've seen of Cyberpunk is that CG teaster trailer from a few years ago and this picture now of a chick in lingerie and her tits hanging out.

4. Before you grab your pitch forks, explain to me why I should be interested in Cyberpunk outside of CD Projekt's pedigree if all I have to go on is a pic of a chick in lingerie.

5. Just because you don't like walking simulators doesn't mean they aren't games.

That promo wasn't for us it was to get people in the industry to look up how to work on that game. As its been noted a lot of times. Eitherway look up the Cypberpunk IP and udnerstand its world.

boskee

3: That picture is neither new (released back in 2013) nor comes from CDPR.

4. Again, non relevant. It was Gamespot's decision to use that picture. CDPR has never done so in their campaign.

5. Agreed.

Audioboxer

Why make a thread, giving them attention they so clearly crave?

To call bullshit out and allow there to be consequence for using a company Twitter to smear another gaming company.

Consequence meaning there be public awareness. Anyone simply name calling or being an idiot with abuse to TCR are morons themselves. Criticise the idea.

twopenny

Neo Member
Oh nooes!!! Boobies!! Everyone panic!! Sexism!!

For real though...this kinda sensationalist over-dramatic fight for social equity needs to stop. It's applicable here and there like in working conditions, but you cant be calling out someone or something every time a pair of tits appear in video games or movies or w/e.

I mean, these things aren't released in a vacuum, man; for most of its history, the game's industry has had a notoriously fucked-up relationship with women--mostly but not limited to female representation--so an image like this certainly feels like a step back. Context is everything, and the only thing on evidence here nearly naked women--which feels like it was ripped straight from 90s marketing philosophy. it seems to me that people aren't critical of breasts specifically, but rather the context in which those breasts find themselves.

Also, while the fight for social equality might seem overbearing and inconvenient to you, these conversations actually create substantive change, and calling shit like this out is an important part of the process (particularly as this industry has a long way to go).

xevis

Banned
So anything sexy is "sexist" now, is that what I'm getting here?

Sexy and objectified are not mutually exclusive. The picture gives very little context but I can imagine few situations where a woman is on her knees, in makeup and neglige and with a come hither stare, and not being objectified.

You do not need to conflate your enjoyment of the female form to sexism/chauvanism!

Are you sure? Because that's the general vibe I keep getting from these threads. I guess I made a wise decision in my formation years to keep my erotica consumption as hidden as possible. It's paying off now!

I think it's crazy that such a blatant insult is coming from the companies official account. It really makes it look like Chinese room have little professionalism.

Talyn

The Chinese Room makes boring games but you don't see CD Projeck accusing them for that. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs was so boring that it killed the Amnesia IP.
This is what I personally will never forgive them for. How the hell did they manage to fuck up Amnesia so badly. Goddamnit, now I'm pissed off about that all over again.

miksar

Video games can often be sexist, but a sexy-looking woman doesn't equal sexism. I'm worried that the whole discussion is getting closer to some kind of religious fundamentalism that prohibits any openness regarding sex.

Tommy DJ

Geralt as a character, at least in the early short stories and early books, is intentionally presented as immature and hypocritical, which is why he always struggles with choosing the lesser evil. Like, he's a literal manchild in some of the books. This aspect is the entire basis of The Witcher 1 where the whole game revolves around the consequences of Geralt's behaviour and hypocrisy. Also why it has the best story of the three games.

In the case of sexism, you could argue that Geralt is to some degree chauvinistic but that's intentional. In the books, I don't think its really played to Geralt's benefit as he's taken advantage of quite often and characters often admonish his immaturity.

To CDPR's discredit, this aspect doesn't really come into play in the games. Geralt doesn't really suffer any significant consequences for what he does and I don't think he ever gets called out for it either, except for a single scene in The Witcher 3 which is still presented as a joke rather than anything serious. They've ditched the cards but sex scenes are still presented as a reward for doing something "positive", like saving Mottle, beating Ves and Jutta, or helping Sasha.

Simplifying sexual relationships to input, output and reward is like in every video game with sex but this is the one department where CDPR hasn't really improved at all. Again, you get no cards anymore but Mottle gives you a shortcut key that saves a fair bit of backtracking if you sleep with her (which you don't get if you refuse). ShockingAlberto actually wrote a really good article recently regarding this phenomenon which is very well worth reading.

Audioboxer

I mean, these things aren't released in a vacuum, man; for most of its history, the game's industry has had a notoriously fucked-up relationship with women--mostly but not limited to female representation--so an image like this certainly feels like a step back. Context is everything, and the only thing on evidence here nearly naked women--which feels like it was ripped straight from 90s marketing philosophy. it seems to me that people aren't critical of breasts specifically, but rather the context in which those breasts find themselves.

Also, while the fight for social equality might seem overbearing and inconvenient to you, these conversations actually create substantive change, and calling shit like this out is an important part of the process (particularly as this industry has a long way to go).

The "women" you talk about are fictional characters. Polygons don't have hurt feelings, emotions and can suffer from PTSD after violence, sexual or non.

Equality is rightfully fought for in real life, in work environments and for women/men abused and in danger.

Make that distinction and you can actually start looking for real inequality and sexism in the world. Not within polygons and fiction.

boskee

I have to admit this made me chuckle.

UYf7YWx.png

Drinkel

Even if the statement seems a bit salty and baity. It doesn't even seem that controversial or worth getting bothered over. You can label this criticism against most video games and CD-Projekt is in no way the worst example even among AAA. They have improved a lot since Witcher 1 which should be applauded but you can still be critical at the same time.

Yeah but what exactly are they pointing out? the context to that picture and the what leads up to it is lost. Just because they see a scantly clad women.

Context: A virus is going around making cyborgs and trans human alike lose their shit and creating havoc out of no where. An this promo character killed people in a night club hence heir dress, plus note the genre. But even in the end her story doesn't end there.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Who said you should be excited based on a picture? It's weird ignoring CDP's pedigree cause that's why people are excited for Cyberpunk. If John Doe Games would have announced that game, nobody would care. If From Software would have announced it, people would care. I don't really understand what you mean here. It's all about the pedigree.
Look at this happy dog and tell me you want to ignore him

pedigree-hundefutter-1238337.jpg

Draeter

Banned
Ironically enough there is a large amount of people that equate any woman acting sexual or dressed sexually as sexist...

Which is such a sexist thing in itself, implying that women can't be in charge of their own sexuality.

Are videogame women or imaginary women in charge of their own sexuality?

Because if they are nothing surrounding them can be called sexist

And if they are not any hint of sexuality can be called sexist and objetification.

boskee

And if they are not any hint of sexuality can be called sexist and objetification.

I thought we were talking about a picture of a human being attached to Gamespot's tweet? I'm pretty sure she's in charge of her own sexuality. In fact she's a well known Polish model.

eFKac

If that's how the judge sexism of a game, their accusation of a sexist environment over at Sony is even less convincing to me.

DC1

Kek is essentially 4chan slang for lol, and he's implying your just a disguised 4chan member because he doesn't actually want to participate in a discussion, intentionally misinterpreted your comment, and essentially insulted you.
Don't think it was an insult at all. Just a play on acronyms and relevant finger speak.

RevenWolf

But pretty much all the notes me woman in the witches 3 easily classify as powerful women that take charge of their sexuality.

Yes they are written that way, that doesn't take away from the fact that it's empowering, not sexist.

To say otherwise would be to imply that any woman in fiction cannot have a sexual aspect without being sexist.

What do you guys think about the Trish photoshoot for the Playboy magazine? Sexism or not? Positive, negative, good, bad? I assume that was most definitely approved by CDPR, was it not?

EmSeta

Witcher 3 is a bit sexist, yes. And I'd be surprised if the new game wasn't as well. But the people at TCR seem to enjoy the smell of their own farts a little too much to be taken seriously.

But pretty much all the notes me woman in the witches 3 easily classify as powerful women that take charge of their sexuality.

Yes they are written that way, that doesn't take away from the fact that it's empowering, not sexist.

To say otherwise would be to imply that any woman in fiction cannot have a sexual aspect without being sexist.

Which is a scary, scary future.

grimmiq

Sexy and objectified are not mutually exclusive. The picture gives very little context but I can imagine few situations where a woman is on her knees, in makeup and neglige and with a come hither stare, and not being objectified.

Seems to be the woman the character in the trailer was modeled after where she was on her knees covered in blood with her blades out and several dead bodies surrounding her.

mclem

I'm asking from genuine interest in the recent games (I've played the first, I accept that that's not terribly representative of the series at large):

Of those female characters who have, well, characters, how many display no interest in having sex with Geralt?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Ironically enough there is a large amount of people that equate any woman acting sexual or dressed sexually as sexist...

Which is such a sexist thing in itself, implying that women can't be in charge of their own sexuality.

The character in the trailer is cg puppet. She's not in charge of anything. She's drawn, modeled, posed, and written by dozens of individuals.

Fret

what an incredibly misguided tweet - TW3 doesn't hold back for either gender, and that image isn't even from CDPR

did they even play the game? probably not, they barely grasp the concept of one

Audioboxer

What do you guys think about the Trish photoshoot for the Playboy magazine? Sexism or not? Positive, negative, good, bad? I assume that was most definitely approved by CDPR, was it not?

If the model wanted to do it, so what? It can be viewed as good or bad depending on personal opinion and aversion to sex/nudity, but it is not sexist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom