• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Conduit Discussion Thread (Videos + Other Media)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Little Green Yoda said:
Oh, and customization (which is one of PD's strengths) seems to be prevalent in The Conduit too...
MNC said:
I think also in terms of superduper extra's; Player Tracking, Achievements, Extra's, Online Multiplayer (PD was really fleshed out)

What are these extras people keep bringing up?

Oh, and in terms of customisation, Perfect Dark's greatest achievement in that area was its multiplayer depth, variety, and tweaking. It wasn't just HUD customisation or fiddling with controls, it was so much more.

Yeah, The Conduit has some great customisation for the HUD and controls, but outside of that we don't know anything else. In fact, from last we heard the multiplayer only had three modes, and there was no mention at all of any kind of bots, split-screen (definitely not in), customisation of weapons/stats/etc for levels, and so on.

I just think the Perfect Dark similarities are largely no existent, and people expecting "Perfect Dark Wii" are going to be royally disappointed.

Davey Cakes

What I'm liking so far is the fluidity of the controls. They really do make movement seems completely natural.

I really want to see how this game handles with the highest sensitivity and the smallest bounding box possible!

Shiggy

So only one month left the game's release.
The German FHM magazine gave the game a 4 out of 5 rating (based on a preview built).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shiggy said:
So only one month left the game's release.
The German FHM magazine gave the game a 4 out of 5 rating (based on a preview built).

I thought it had a June release?

EatChildren

Shiggy said:
In Europe it still has a spring release (according to Sega) and retailers say to have it available on April 24th/30th.

Oh wow. That's...odd. I would have thought something like this would be guaranteed a US release before Europe.

If it's a late April release for sure then I guess we'll start getting some reviews next month.

pakkit

Banned
joetachi said:
Here are is about the same thing we saw in the gamespot video but a bit more crisp.
http://www.gamepro.com/video/gameplay/133065/the-conduit-gdc-09-gameplay-demo/
That gameplay video is really impressive. You can translate Drudge writing on the walls, I assume as a collectable or for achievements, and, when you have the ASE out it'll give you a faint trail of light to point you in the right direction (stealing the idea from Dead Space). It's a smorgasbord of good ideas so far, I just really hope it comes together. Also, I saw my first headshot in that video.

Eteric Rice

I wish they had better artists, and would learn to bake some shadows into the game (like I think Metroid does). Hell, shadow baking alone would be awesome.

Davey Cakes

I liked that gameplay video.

This game just looks like a lot of fun. The controls seem fluid. The enemies don't seem like a pain in the ass to kill. The level designs aren't bad. Etc.

MarkusRJR

These new videos are making me want to pre-order this game.

EDIT: This thread needs a name change though. Who's with me?

*tumbleweed rolls by*

donny2112

Yaceka said:
EDIT: This thread needs a name change though. Who's with me?

*tumbleweed rolls by*

The official thread should go up ~2 weeks before the release so mid-May. I hope someone's already preparing for it. If you get something really big for it, PM a mod to get them to create a locked thread for you to update like Bruce Lee Roy's threads to use the initial few posts instead of just the OP. This game so deserves it. A whole post showcasing all the control customizations, please. :D

EatChildren

IGN bought to my attention an old interview done by GamePlasma back in February. The most interesting part is;

Are there any plans for future content additions to the game?

Eric: We can’t comment on that yet, but keep your eyes peeled.

Kerry: E3’s right around the corner.
Source

DLC coming to The Conduit?

EatChildren said:
IGN bought to my attention an old interview done by GamePlasma back in February. The most interesting part is;

Source

DLC coming to The Conduit?
This will be the first game to literally use every feature of the wii, and use it in a smart way.

Ill be supporting this one for sure.

EatChildren

abstract alien said:
This will be the first game to literally use every feature of the wii, and use it in a smart way.

Ill be supporting this one for sure.

I'm in the same boat, especially if they really are planning DLC.

I don't really drool over it as much as some other people on this here internets. I personally think it does lot a little bit too run-and-gun, and I'm still not a big fan of the art, but the amount of work Hight Voltage are putting in is pretty crazy.

They've built an engine specifically for the Wii from the ground up. They are fusing to add in waggle and MotionPlus beyond what is actually logical and fun. They've included a wealth of customisation for the controls so the game plays best for everyone. They're including 12 player online, with the ability to play with friends and randoms. WiiSpeak support is great. And now, if they are including DLC, they are basically going the whole hog.

That's some very dedicated work.

This looks surprisingly good and I'm quite interested.

But I'd be a lot more interested if SEGA didn't fuck me over with Madworld.

no 60hz = no buy.

EatChildren

poppabk said:
The one thing that looks like it might be missing is being able to lean around corners. Hopefully it is present in the game as it is an important feature.

When the gameplay is relevant, sure, but it's pretty clear that a The Conduit 'lean' function would be useless. What, you get in 2 or 3 shots before they are immediately aware of your presence? The Conduit isn't a stealth game in the slightest, and the AI as it stands doesn't look to be built around anything more than run-and-gun. So what's the point? Why add in a lean when it is, relatively, useless?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
EatChildren said:
When the gameplay is relevant, sure, but it's pretty clear that a The Conduit 'lean' function would be useless. What, you get in 2 or 3 shots before they are immediately aware of your presence? The Conduit isn't a stealth game in the slightest, and the AI as it stands doesn't look to be built around anything more than run-and-gun. So what's the point? Why add in a lean when it is, relatively, useless?
Well leaning is a pretty much standard mechanic, not for stealth but for using cover, there are several instances where a lean function looked like it would have been useful in those gameplay videos alone, for my play style at least. Not a deal breaker, but leaning with the nunchuck tilt worked well with ?MOH:H2.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
515lw5uTs8L.jpg

m3k

wackojackosnose said:
This looks surprisingly good and I'm quite interested.

But I'd be a lot more interested if SEGA didn't fuck me over with Madworld.

no 60hz = no buy.

am i the only one who thinks these comments are retarded... do you rent instead of buy? i still don't believe thats even a criteria for buying a game

c'mon now

okay, the graphics look good, the art design is fine, the controls look smooth, the story... doesn't really matter. But what makes anyone think the gameplay is doing anything new? I saw the three latest videos and it looks incredibly basic, sort of like Resistance 2.

LM4sure

Banned
I don't really care for the graphics. I thought it looked pretty bad. You would think it could at least be on par with Metroid Prime. Looks fun though. I'm a big fan of FPS's so I won't let the shitty graphics dissuade me if the gameplay is there.

Arde5643

poppabk said:
Well leaning is a pretty much standard mechanic, not for stealth but for using cover, there are several instances where a lean function looked like it would have been useful in those gameplay videos alone, for my play style at least. Not a deal breaker, but leaning with the nunchuck tilt worked well with ?MOH:H2.
Only against AI though since the AI stays still and can shoot with amazing accuracy once you reach a certain range no matter if you're moving or not - it's a totally useless feature in multiplayer.

In here, at the very least enemies move around, take cover, and can actually miss shots if you keep moving.

EatChildren

VideoMan said:

Outside of the stupidly goofy visor the cover looks fine. Straight to the point, 'extreme', and shows off that the game is about aliens, shooting, and the ASE.

Certainly a lot better than the temporary cover art they originally had.

m3k said:
am i the only one who thinks these comments are retarded... do you rent instead of buy? i still don't believe thats even a criteria for buying a game

c'mon now

It's retarded to expect a fully optimized 60hz game in 2009 after having fully optimized 60hz games since the Dreamcast?

I'm with the "screw you Sega / PG for fucking PALers over Madworld" camp. :/

And I only buy games as no one rents out Wii games over here, including Blockbusters (though I'm not sure why you're asking if I rent or buy?). :/

Sorry guys, but this is exactly a kind of boxart The Conduit needs. A typical boxart that persuades people to pick it up without knowing the game.

pakkit

Banned
Frencherman said:
Sorry guys, but this is exactly a kind of boxart The Conduit needs. A typical boxart that persuades people to pick it up without knowing the game.
I knew that the black boxart was a placeholder, and I agree that it should let the consumer know what they're getting, but it doesn't have to be shitty artwork. Also, your avatar.

Top Bottom