• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The coolest game intros

Havoc2049

I always loved the King of Fighters Dream Match '99 intro on the Dreamcast back in the day.

Halo 3: ODST has a great intro.

theHFIC

I remember the MechWarrior 2 intro as really great when I first played the game. Rewatching the intro now........ not so much but still one I remembered for the longest time.

Shifty

The intro to the first Bayonetta had me speechless. The combination of cold open, sick out-of-context action and deep movie voiceover was just incredible.

Ninja Gaiden Black's is also very good, but it kind of encompasses the entirety of the first stage so I dunno if that counts.

Last edited:

BibiMaghoo

I'm pleased to see both Soul Reaver and Defiance intros. The original Blood Omen was also great for its time.

Bioshock belongs in any thread discussing quality game intro's.

Since the actual best ones have already been posted (soul edge, onimusha, white glint).
I'll just post this one:

For dynasty warriors you could pretty much post anyone intro post DW4 because they're all pretty crazy, but my fav is DW8.
Zhao yun does a barrel roll on a horse...it's fantastic.

Osukaa

Can I say all of the above?? Off hand what I usually remember fondly is Final Fantasy 6-14 (excluding FF13) Also I gotta add the original Soul Blade opening on PS1, Onimusha 3 opening and Chrono Cross. You can also throw in MGS 3 Snake Eater Song Opening. Ohhh almost forgot Kingdom Hearts 1 Simple and Clean opening theme by Utada. I also for some reason really like the Tale of Xillia 1 opening by Ayu. Of current generation Im having a hard time remembering for some reason lol

Sorry one more edit lol * Have to add Suikoden 3 !!!*

Last edited:

AlphaMale

I always loved the intro to the first Metal Gear Solid.
This is the one where you swim into an underwater facility and as you're gearing up in the elevator, the intro credit roll. It's done like a movie, which is kinda slick, especially back then.

Makariel

I remember the MechWarrior 2 intro as really great when I first played the game. Rewatching the intro now........ not so much but still one I remembered for the longest time.
I absolutely loved that intro, these days it doesn't look that special anymore... still cool though.

I quite liked the intro to Snake Eater...

Captured the Bond-theme better than most Bond movies...

KiteGr

Ghost in the Shell for PS1 gave me goosebumps back in the day!
It's the only game that it's based on the original Manga in all it's comically sexualised glory, rather than the ultra serous movie or the hybrid SAC series.

Last edited:

PsyEd

What no love for SC on DC ??

Not to mention you can direct your own version...best intro ever imho!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I won Hybrid Heaven for the Nintendo 64 from a magazine back in the day. I remember being blown away by the intro because, at the time, I had never seen a N64 game with a cinematic intro like this.

molasar

Banned
A couple of mine:

Last Ninja 3 (C64 version)

Alien Trilogy (PS1)

Killer Instinct (original Arcade)

Killer instinct 2 (original Arcade)

Another World / Out of this World

Flashback

Cannon Fodder

Dreamweb

Lotus Turbo Challenge II

Astrates

I'm pleased to see both Soul Reaver and Defiance intros. The original Blood Omen was also great for its time.

Bioshock belongs in any thread discussing quality game intro's.

Tough for me to choose between Bioshock and Half-Life 2 intros. Both still give me goosebumps.

Makariel

The Ninja Gaiden intro blew my mind at the time:

Later it was Starcraft Broodwar that I though looked great...

Things have moved on a bit...

Last edited:
not that first one that came to mind for me, but trying to think up one that deserves some love

Tenchu 2

ending always gives me some goosebumps haha

what else... pretty much any Warcraft or Warhammer or Onimusha game

FF XI and FF XIV ARR are two of the best CG movies in the series IMO...

oh, this usually gets love but didn't see it posted

Suikoden 3

I'm a sucker for Van Halen so...

Gran Turismo 4

man that canyon view ;x what a view that was for PS2 game

The intro sequence to Mechwarrior 2 defined my teenage years:

When I was 16, I remember walking home drunk from a highschool party with a mate and some girls in tow (who were way out of our league) during the early hours of the morning... and I re-enacted this scene with my friend. Unfortunately cringe filters didn't exist back then so the attractive, overly-innebriated females had to painfully endure our drunken re-enactment of this intro sequence. Spoiler alert: no foundations of future relationships were formed on that evening. No regrets though. Mechwarrior 2 was awesome and I couldn't wait to get back home to play it. The golden era of 90s PC gaming was amazing. Hell, I still play Mech2 on occasion now.

That reminds me, I still have to finish the Clan Wolf campaign. Damn my backlog.

Last edited:

Makariel

The intro sequence to Mechwarrior 2 defined my teenage years:
theHFIC theHFIC already posted that one ;)

So in that sense we should also mention the other parts:

"I'm not getting paid enough to die."

"Look at the bright side kid: you get to keep all the money." ;)

I also love how the intro goes directly into the start of the campaign, with you starting out with a single Commando mech.

theHFIC theHFIC already posted that one ;)

So in that sense we should also mention the other parts:

"I'm not getting paid enough to die."

"Look at the bright side kid: you get to keep all the money." ;)

I also love how the intro goes directly into the start of the campaign, with you starting out with a single Commando mech.

Awesome :D. It's good to know that all of the cool kids are still hanging around at NeoGAF. Hahah.

In other news: a mint condition big boxed version of Mechwarrior 2 Mercs is on my perpetual eBay wishlist. I have the rest of the collection in mint/as-new condition but that one has yet escaped me.

mechwarrior_2___mercenaries_game_icon_by_ace0fh3arts-d6osl9c.png

t72QJqB.png

:D

Neolombax

I'll be honest, I can't remember much of them. But I love the intro the Megaman X series (especially X3, or was it X4?) Those anime intros were really well made. Also, the Diablo 2 cutscenes. All of them. Especially the intro to Lord of Destruction. That was really dope.

B_Signal

Not the best quality, but Resident Evil Code Veronica is probably my favourite of all time (along with Bioshock and Half-Life 2 (wake up and smell the ashes). It's so good it was the only redeeming feature of the Resident Evil film that used it

Nymphae

Banned
Guilty Gear X2

I was looking at some GG games on the steam sale last night, and totally forgot how fucking badass this game, it's music, and it's intro were. Totally buying this tonight.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally really like intro for Persona 5 I always watch it like I watch anime TV show opening before play the game.

Top Bottom