• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Darkness: The Official Thread

cicatriz

dark10x said:
Yes, I would love to hear some PS3 impressions.

I plan to purchase the PS3 version, however, so by the off chance that no PS3 impressions show up by this evening, I will be happy to post them myself.

I too will be picking up the PS3 version on my lunch break but wont be able to play it until I get home from work (around 6pm CST). Surely someone will have posted impressions by then... :)

SantaC

dralla said:
Hilary did the IGN review, he's the one who wanted to give Jade Empire a 10..just keep that in mind

well he is a big xbot. If the game was for 360 ONLY, I bet the score would be 9+ atleast :p

it's probably one of those games review media would gush more over if it was exclusive.

SantaC

got another good review here...wow this game is clearly either love or hate.

MSBOXWORLD said:
Overall:
The Darkness borrows elements from Chronicles of Riddick, in fact the whole free-roaming interacting with characters is practically the same minus the fisticuffs. There's action there's stealth and more importantly there's a great sense of adventure when playing despite the claustrophobic nature of the levels. I think if you are looking for a game that stands out amongst the crowd, a game which really offers a compelling entertainment experience that feels fresh and to a degree unique; then The Darkness is certainly a game you should rush out and buy immediately. There are a lot of shooters on Xbox 360 and The Darkness doesn’t stray too far from the tried and trusted formula that we’ve all become accustomed to but at the same time it does offer an experience to savor, enjoy, embrace and one that will no doubt be regarded highly amongst those that dive into its greatness. The Darkness offers an engaging story, like-able characters, high action, lots of distractions, cool powers and a mild sense of freedom, what more could you ask for? With lots of games being good but not great it’s nice to see a game that breaks the mould; your collection needs this game.

9/10

http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/reviews/review/114/The-Darkness.html

Costanza

Banned
Oh my god I ****ING HATE Circuit City.

I called the ****ing store before I went and some girl said it was in stock out on the floor. So I get there, and it's not there. I walk up to Customer Service, and they know nothing about the game, so I ask for a manager...and he says it's street dated till 2 PM because that's what the ad says... :lol

After 20 ****ing minutes of arguing with this idiot that games don't have "street times", I have my copy! :D

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
My score tally.

ONLINE:
GAMEPLAYER.COM.AU 9/10
MSXBOX: 9/10
1UP.com 9/10
Games Radar - 9/10
IGN UK: 8.5/10 (IGN UK)
Eurogamer: 8.0
IGN - 7.8
Yahoo Games - 3/5

PRINT:
Official Playstation Magazine Uk 91%
PSM 90%
Official Playstation Magazine Australia 90%
PLAY Magazine (UK) 91%
XBOX 360 (UK) 9/10
Swedish Level Magazine 9/10
Game Reactor 8/10
EGM: 9, 6.5, 8.5
GAMEPRO 3.75/5

Loving it so far. I will admit there are some AI issues. Somtimes you might find a guy that just wont shoot you. Really odd. Not a game breaker at all, because this may have been a scripting bug.

I can see where some reviews bitched about the the controls. You really need to tweak them to get to a point your comfortable with. Just make sure you play with the X & Y sensitivity and acceleration options. It took a little while to find that sweet spot, but now that I have all my control gripes are gone.

My only beef now is that Jackie has the speed of a 400lb man. Kinda frustrating since most bad guys are noticeably faster than you.

Oh, the voice acting is superb.

I rented the ps3 version of the game. If the AA is turned off i am not noticing it. :D

Anyways the aiming reminds me of the hitman games. Imagine if the gun battles in hitman were frantic.....yep aiming just feels really off. Other than that the game really is starting off with a bang. The AI is horrible. No disputing that but the blood gore and atmosphere are right up my Alley. Great rental but cant see it lasting for long.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Kabuki Waq said:
I rented the ps3 version of the game. If the AA is turned off i am not noticing it. :D

Anyways the aiming reminds me of the hitman games. Imagine if the gun battles in hitman were frantic.....yep aiming just feels really off. Other than that the game really is starting off with a bang. The AI is horrible. No disputing that but the blood gore and atmosphere are right up my Alley. Great rental but cant see it lasting for long.

Hour one day one? Man where did you rent it from? I wanna go there.

Haklong

I just picked it up but I can't play it till I leave the office, so lame. I got the 360 version since the game seems to be the same performance wise on both platforms. Controller/rumble/achievements won out in the end.

JoeFenix

Just got the game in Montreal here.

Eating and then putting it in. As a HUGE fan of Riddick and Enclave, I am really excited!!! :D

I really hope it doesn't disapoint me.

3rdman

SNUG REVOL said:
Loving it so far. I will admit there are some AI issues. Somtimes you might find a guy that just wont shoot you. Really odd. Not a game breaker at all, because this may have been a scripting bug.

I can see where some reviews bitched about the the controls. You really need to tweak them to get to a point your comfortable with. Just make sure you play with the X & Y sensitivity and acceleration options. It took a little while to find that sweet spot, but now that I have all my control gripes are gone.

My only beef now is that Jackie has the speed of a 400lb man. Kinda frustrating since most bad guys are noticeably faster than you.

Oh, the voice acting is superb.
That only reinforces how similar it must play to Riddick...I recently started replaying it and boy does he move slow and jerky. Its something that you get used to as the game progresses and eventually feels natural. I hope its the same for Darkness...

3rdman said:
That only reinforces how similar it must play to Riddick...I recently started replaying it and boy does he move slow and jerky. Its something that you get used to as the game progresses and eventually feels natural. I hope its the same for Darkness...

Yea thats true. I remember I had similar issues with Riddick, but it turned out to be one of my favorite FPS.

JoeFenix

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu in QC, Microplay has copies in so I assume that they have copies across their whole chain in QC. Check them out!

Forsete

Gold Member
Ordered PS3 version from Videogamesplus (bless you Sony for making PS3 region free!), so I'll have it by thursday. :D

SantaC

more reviews coming in.

9.2 / 10

darknessscore.jpg

http://www.tgsn.co.uk/rvw158xbox360.php

Bebpo

Banned
I'm placing an order right now to pick up at lunch from Best Buy.

PS3 version or X360 version?

X360 one is in the cart right now, unless someone tells me differently in the next 3 mins.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bebpo said:

X360 one is in the cart right now, unless someone tells me differently in the next 3 mins.
You could be the first to give impressions on the PS3 version!

Costanza

Banned
Bebpo said:

achievements + live vs. cool bluray space features like extra movies/tv shows in game

FrankT

Demo coming early July or so perhaps, reasoning behind the delay;

You may already bet set on picking up The Darkness, the newest game from Starbreeze, but those whose decision hinges on a demo will have to wait a little longer.
Over on the official MySpace blog, there's a post in response to fears Starbreeze doesn't want to release a demo of the game:

"...we hit a few snags of the full game and were at risk of being late and missing the release date by a week or two. So we pulled people off the demo to work on the game and now we are on time for release of 6/26 (it SHIPS on 6/25 but will be IN STORE on 6/26). It's axiomatic."
The full demo should be available roughly two weeks after it's submitted to Microsoft and Sony for certification -- so, hopefully early July.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160582

Bebpo

Banned
Ok went with the X360 one.

If they really do look and run the same, then it just comes down to X360 version -> pushing my X360 closer to death, but I get to see which friends are online and msg people while in-game without having to go to my PC and use AIM, vs PS3 without those features. Since I've pretty much resigned myself to expect repeated X360 deaths, I don't really care about that anymore, so I'll just go with the convenience of being able to message people.

Though if I'm 30 mins from the last point I've saved at/checkpoint and the X360 version crashes on me I'm going to call myself an idiot for not buying the PS3 one.

Donahoe is a freaking idiot! There is a mission log when you hit back that tells you exactly what to do. Sure it isn't a mini-map, but all you have to do is refer back to it to see which street you have to go to. It's freaking simple!

cleveridea said:
can anyone confirm that the PS3 version does 1080? my TV wont handle 720p...

I would like to know this too, would mean the difference between sweet swet pixel mapping or over scan on my 100p tv while the ps3 outputs 720p.

GrayFoxPL

One thing the reviewer whined in ign video review bothers me: He said that the whole "playing in darkness" is a trap. He said that you keep focusing on the same thing - enter room shoot out the lights, shoot bad guys, enter another shoot out the lights, till the of the game. Seems like valid point but he could have talked bs.

So, do you really must focus to shoot every damn lightbulb you see?

dark10x said:
Can you further comment on the framerate and load times?

the fact i didnt pay attention to the load times shoudl tell you they were minimal framerate seems solid i did notice very slight slowdown like for less then a blink of an eye when i shot a multiple times by accident while other guys were shooting. frame rate seems to be a non issue so far.

Haklong

cicatriz said:
Who said it didn't? This cleared up a few individuals fears who didn't know if it supported 1080i/p.

Didn't mean anything by it. Just think they are both upscaling from 720P. That the game isn't native 1080P.

Top Bottom