• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Darkness: The Official Thread

twofold

Costanza said:
How are you guys playing this already?...

Not really insinuating anything here, as sometimes stores release games early/folks have review code etc., but the game was leaked by the pirate community a day or two ago. Heh.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Odrion said:
Just means you spend more time on just one game when you do get those breaks.

Also, who the hell wants to put $60 down on a 7.8 quality title?

IGN says it's a 7.8 quality title so it must be bad?

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/927013.asp

Summary:

1up - 9 of 10
Play UK - 91%
X360 Magazine UK - 9 out of 10
Eurogamer - 8 out of 10
IGN - 7.8 of 10
GamePro - 3.75 out of 5
Yahoo Games - 3 out of 5

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
AppleMIX said:
Game over, clearly the only opinion that matters.

Anyways, I'm picking mine up today. I absolutely love Star Breeze's work.

Actually watching the IGN video review again to me it feels like Hilary's reviewing the game quite positively. I guess it's all about how you perceive the numbers, but if I were to have guessed just based on the video review, it felt like he was describing like a low-mid 8 game.

Numbers are a bit ridiculous I guess but it's the easiest way to gauge if a title is good or not. In this case the 7.8 feels misleading (to me). I got out of it that I think I'll have a good time with it.

I don't really see any mention of bosses though, to you who have played it, are there many? Are they good/imaginative?

vesp

twofold said:
Not really insinuating anything here, as sometimes stores release games early/folks have review code etc., but the game was leaked by the pirate community a day or two ago. Heh.

Seattle GameCrazies got it in Monday afternoon, I know other west and east cost shops got it as well.

GrayFoxPL

Thunderbear said:
Summary:

1up - 9 of 10
Play UK - 91%
X360 Magazine UK - 9 out of 10
Eurogamer - 8 out of 10
IGN - 7.8 of 10
GamePro - 3.75 out of 5
Yahoo Games - 3 out of 5

I stoped reading any gamesites/magazines reviews after the major **** up with GTA:SA being the best game ever. Then me falling for it, spending all the money on preorder and then playing 30 hours trying not to puke in disbelief how utterly shitty it is. Besides that, people that think that there isn't any "business talk", "hand shaking", "back patting" between game sites/magazines and publishers/game company, are just naive.
I take individual, "gray" gamer's opinion over any "site reviewer" anytime. Even if he's an utter fanboy.

Anyway, I went OT. Just wanted to say, that despite my opinion on the subject, I'm surprised at the scores listed above.

Didn't one of Star Breeze dev's something about whiners licking his shoes when they see official scores? Seeing the scores I think something didn't go as planned.

I'm waiting for more (level headed hopefuly) opinions here on the forum. I must say my hype went down a little. But I still love to get the game.
Few things are bugging me:
So how long is the game actually? How fast fair skilled gamer goes throu it? Someone who played throu multiple console fps before. If it's 5 h then sorry, I must wait till 50% price drop. If it's 10 then I think it's fair enough.

Can you turn off auto aim? How bad it is? (I hate heavy auto aim assist)

How often the loadings kick in? Is it mid level?

Is multiplayer fun actually, worth anything?

(Maybe I'll get it next month for ps3 and this month I'll get Call of Juarez on insted)

homez99 said:
When did 7.8 become a bad review?

That's pretty good for a math exam for instance, but I like my games to be nothing short of awesome. So we all know how it works, unless you want to blow 60 bucks on an average game, 7-7.9 = average (not interesting), 8-8.9 = good (and now in many cases the true average), 9 and up = must haves.

Feindflug

GrayFoxPL said:
Can you turn off auto aim? How bad it is? (I hate heavy auto aim assist)

IIRC someone who has played the game already stated earlier in this thread that you can turn off the auto-aim.

Seriously the game sounds more like a love/hate situation - a great example is the EGM: 9, 6.5, 8.5 scores - I assume the rest of the reviews/scores will continue that way.

Still getting it on friday! The game looks too awesome. :)

IGN is very much on point with their review. I've talked with a lot of reviewers about this game and opinion is rather split, but I know a quite a few, including me, are closer to IGN's opinion on this game.

The game starts out so well. The first few hours are superb, especially the introduction, but after a key plot point, it just slows down and is never able to match the intensity of the beginning.

The darklings aren't much use at all. They aren't effective nor do they bring much joy to the gameplay. You end up using the snake-like darkness power to creep up on enemies and kill them with it all the time.

The atmospere is great, the dialogue is great and there's lots of cool little ideas like the way you open up additional bonus content.

homez99

Fallout-NL said:
That's pretty good for a math exam for instance, but I like my games to be nothing short of awesome. So we all know how it works, unless you want to blow 60 bucks on an average game, 7-7.9 = average (not interesting), 8-8.9 = good (and now in many cases the true average), 9 and up = must haves.

Fair enough, but I have a lower threshold, so 7.8 is rounded to 8 in my head, and then I seek out the cheapest way to get that game, whether that be use a family's discount or trade in an existing game, for example, I got Shadowrun for £8.99 after trading in Crackdown. For the big must haves, I simply buy them.

Mr Spliff

Pastry said:
Any clues as to how many Darkness comics there are?
No dude, sorry, only unlocked one so far. I thinks it cool that they put it in because I read it after taking a break and it just sets the tone and gives you some backstory that gives the game more context and character depth.

Oh yeah, I got the game early from a independant game shop in Toronto. Not a pirate (of games anyways :D ).

For all those on the fence here is some useless advice. If you like shooting, mafia type shit and you don't mind a FPS with a slower pace for story purposes, ignore the reviews and purchase. If you prefer more competitive oriented FPS, give it a try first. I am a 80% SP gamer that occasionally likes to play online so this game is a good fit for me. Everyone else, your mileage may vary.

anddo0

I'm getting it today.. I know its short (10-15 hours) but thats the way I like my non-RPG games.

I also heard the multiplayer is so-so; but I'm purchasing the game for its story/gameplay:)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
plagiarize said:
i'm seeing no complaints about performance on either version.

that's good. should be picking up a copy today.
Yeah, usually when reviews fail to discuss performance of any kind it's a good sign that there are no problems.

pubba

Costanza said:
pirate%5B3%5D_1.jpg

rs7k

UncleGuito said:
Wow. Development time has nothing to do with game length. Just look at movies- they're in development for a few years most of the time yet only last around 2 hours. If you were to actually follow your comment, you'd be missing out on amazing games like MGS2, God of War, and many others.

And you call yourself a gamer...

True, but MGS and God of War are at a level above The Darkness. For example, I didn't mind paying $60 for Gears.

There are too many games which will be as good/better than the Darkness for me to spend $60 on another FPS.

IJoel

This game feels a lot like a Splinter Cell hybrid. Running around shooting lights and tentacle devouring people... well, at least the shooting lights part.

Costanza said:

Gamecrazy here as well.

All the reviews so far (I think). I > Gamerankings.

PLAY UK - 91%
1UP - 9/10
OXM UK - 9/10
OXM AU - 9/10
LEVEL (Swedish magazine)- 9/10
Games Radar - 9/10
EGM - 9, 6.5, 8.5
IGN UK - 8.5
Gamereactor - 8/10
Eurogamer - 8/10
IGN - 7.8
Gamepro - 3.75/5
Yahoo Games - 3/5

rs7k

urk said:
But you decided not to buy The Darkness. I'm confused. When did you play it? :)

It's a safe assumption. It doesn't look like the Darkness is a AAA game like the franchises mentioned above. There's only a few games I'll buy at $60 this fall: Mass Effect, Halo 3, GTA4, HL2 Orange Box, and Bisohock.

dark10x

How exactly does the health system function, by the way? What about dying/continuing? Any loading issues associated with it?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I'll be picking it up, due to the fact its going for £30 in some places.

rs7k said:
It's a safe assumption. It doesn't look like the Darkness is a AAA game like the franchises mentioned above. There's only a few games I'll buy at $60 this fall: Mass Effect, Halo 3, GTA4, HL2 Orange Box, and Bisohock.

after jade empire what makes you think Mass effect is a sure thing?

IJoel

dark10x said:
How exactly does the health system function, by the way? What about dying/continuing? Any loading issues associated with it?

No health bar, just the typical 'invisible shield' type of health. As you get more damage, your screen turns red, until you die. You recover by not taking damage for a while. When the darkness powers are on, you have an extra 'invisible' shield as long as you remain in the dark. After you die, it reloads the latest checkpoint. The loading isn't bad at all. They actually have Jackie talking about the theme at hand in the game while it loads, so it's fairly entertaining. Checkpoints are reasonably spaced, so far at least (about 2 hours into it).

I am about to go out and pick this one up.

By the way, is this game running UE3? I was talking to a friend about how good the graphics look in this game, and I was wondering what engine it was running? I'm assuming UE3 because everything runs on UE3.

nofi

snack said:
I am about to go out and pick this one up.

By the way, is this game running UE3? I was talking to a friend about how good the graphics look in this game, and I was wondering what engine it was running? I'm assuming UE3 because everything runs on UE3.

I assumed it was a variation on the same engine used in Riddick.

Mesijs

Ok, my reaction to the ridiculous IGN review, since I completed the game and will be reviewing it soon for Gamer.nl.

The Darkness Guns are a real waste. These special guns drain your Darkness meter quickly, but are often inefficient at killing enemies. A headshot from your dual-wielded pistols is a far better bet than these special weapons.

Like... doh.... the Darkness Guns
are meant to be used in The Otherworld since it's the only firearm where the enemey soldiers don't recover. Seems like the reviewer should have paid attention while playing the game.

The Darklings provide a lot of the humor in the Darkness. At one point, I'm certain I caught one taking a piss on a dead enemy. The little buggers offer sly comments and some good entertainment value, even if they aren't as useful in combat as one would hope.

Well, the point is that the Darklings aren't meant to do the work for you. They're nice supplements to your arsenal but you have to do the real fights yourself. Nevertheless, they're useful and will sometimes help you in problematic situations.

The single-player campaign ends with a bit of a thud. Rather than building to a climactic final battle, The Darkness is pretty much on an even keel from start to finish. The enemies never become more difficult. Starbreeze wanted to give gamers a sense of being the scariest mofo in the room by game's end. So by the time you have the Black Hole power, you are pretty much in charge. It's a great sensation to know you are going to waste everyone you see, but it doesn't work so well from a game standpoint. Without building to tougher challenges, the last few hours fall a bit flat. It doesn't help that the final level drops into a series of cutscenes showing you do some awesome things not possible when in control of Jackie Estacado.

I do agree that the ending level could have been done better, but I don't agree with the rest. The whole point is that you acquire more and more powers and Darklings, and yes, you feel like you will kill everyone. And it's great. Like one preview/review said: "It's like FEAR, but then YOU are slaughtering the terrified people. And it's more fun." I agree completely, and I think that 'from a game standpoint' it works also great.

And though the story does lose its way and makes little sense towards the end, it's still a fun ride.

What? The story makes sense from beginning to end. It's one of the strongest points of the entire game, and masterfully crafted. Typical that he only states it, and doesn't say why it is so, not in any sense. Weak.

It's too bad that the AI and gameplay mechanics couldn't be smoothed out a bit more to match the impressive visual presentation.

The AI isn't like FEAR, but does it have to? The AI in Resistance wasn't the key point either, but does it matter? The AI does it's job perfectly and is never weak. But no, it isn't the most advanced either.

And wtf? He doesn't talk about 'gameplay mechanics' the whole review (except Creeping Dark) and then he says it's bad.

Also, I think the core bad point is that almost the whole review he is describing, and not argumentating. He describes almost the whole review and then say it's not very good. It's a bad way of reviewing. Instead, he should have told why exactly the game is or isn't too great, not sum up the dry facts.

Sad that he gives it a 7,8... especially since IGN gives ridiculously high scores almost always to every game... this score is the same as Harry Potter, and I can say you this is a better game...

RumFore

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
I stoped reading any gamesites/magazines reviews after the major **** up with GTA:SA being the best game ever. Then me falling for it, spending all the money on preorder and then playing 30 hours trying not to puke in disbelief how utterly shitty it is.

I think GTA:SA is one of the best games ever made. I sunk so much time in the PC version of that game. I still drive around in it for the hell of it.:)

I still cant understand why grown folks cant understand that these reviews or just the opinions of others. Your suppose to come to your own conclusion if you think you should buy a game or not. Reading enough reviews should make your decision easier and thats all.

grendelrt

You would think out of all these reviews someone would say something about version differences. If anything I would just like to hear controller seemed to work better. Did they in fact add more content to the blu ray version?

dark10x

cicatriz said:
PS3 impressions!
Yes, I would love to hear some PS3 impressions.

I plan to purchase the PS3 version, however, so by the off chance that no PS3 impressions show up by this evening, I will be happy to post them myself.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
VibratingDonkey said:
All the reviews so far (I think). I > Gamerankings.

PLAY UK - 91%
1UP - 9/10
OXM UK - 9/10
OXM AU - 9/10
LEVEL (Swedish magazine)- 9/10
Games Radar - 9/10
EGM - 9, 6.5, 8.5
IGN UK - 8.5
Gamereactor - 8/10
Eurogamer - 8/10
IGN - 7.8
Gamepro - 3.75/5
Yahoo Games - 3/5

It looks like there are going to be a few people who aren't that into it, but still I think a spectrum of scores like this is pretty good. What I want to hear are the user comments. Come on Gaffers, get playing!

Top Bottom