• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The delay of Hogwarts Legacy is a great sign for the industry

anothertech

john-travolta-lost.gif

Chastten

Banned
As much as I love the Switch, at this point they should just cancel that port.

I'd love to have it portable but I can't imagine it handling these kind of graphics well plus I don't want to wait for almost half a year so I'll just get it on PC. I imagine a lot of people will.

Not sure how you've figured that the game getting delayed on multiple platforms 2 months before launch is a "good sign for the industry".

All it proves is that studio was not truly prepared to get this running well on last gen but doesn't want to give up those sales. Now, current gen version will release and be reviewed (from what we've seen so far probably quite well) and that review score will carry forward to last gen copies. So if it gets a 8 or 9, regardless of if its a buggy mess on last gen (which is likely considering the delay) the game will still be labeled as an 8 or 9 because when ppl talk about the game they will mostly refer to current gen version.

It's a strong marketing strategy and further enables the greed of this industry(which has become quite obscene over the years). Not what I'd call a good sign. But fair play for looking on the brightside OP

Msamy

Yes that's true publisher's needs to stop forcing studios to release their games in those weak aged consoles thier hold this generation consoles power for long enough already .

I'm curious about the Switch release. There are two options: 1- a miraculous port à la DOOM and the Witcher 3; 2- A trainwreck.

As much as I love the Switch, at this point they should just cancel that port.

I'd love to have it portable but I can't imagine it handling these kind of graphics well plus I don't want to wait for almost half a year so I'll just get it on PC. I imagine a lot of people will.
They should cancel all last-gen + switch ports.

That’s a long time ahead of release for the current gen versions to have gone hold. Hoping performance on these consoles is ace given the patch time available now.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
There's been like 100 games delayed over the last couple years. Literally 90% of AAA games get delayed nowadays.

Why does this one constitute a thread?

Please, enough with this cancel last gen BS. New gen has barely been out 3 years and even thier exclusives have yet to feel truly "next gen".

Played GoW on PS4 and it ran perfectly and still looked better than the previous. Claiming that game runs on dinosaur tech is just fuckin lolz

Next gen is still the minority by a LONG shot. So no, they shouldn't stop making games for the majority of gamers for the sake of the minority. It's clearly not current gen holding games back, it's the fact that devs have no fucking clue what to do with extra power except pretty graphics.

How about we get some innovation before we cancel a whole generation off the back of "graphics would be better if it was next gen exclusive".

Its like ppl pretending pokemon scarlet runs like shit because of the switch hardware lmfao

If power was everything then all ps3 games would look like the the last of us and suped up PCs would always have perfect performance....

Camreezie

Its good news that theyve realised , but now im sceptical that the next gen versions will be ready on time either. So im less likely to get on day one if that makes sense

I’m not saying this game is perfect. They delayed it beyond the holidays and subsequently split it from last gen releases.

This SOUNDS responsible to me. It’s a better sign than rushing both last gen and this gen out for Christmas.

Ultimately we’ll see how the game turns out but we can believe it was going to be way worse had it come out on all consoles and on time.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It’s also a marketing strategy: this way they avoid bad vibes at launch about the last gen versions looking like shit and running even worse.
Lol seriously, the only think this is a “sign” of is that they don’t believe the last gen version is in a state that’s acceptable to release

FBeeEye

Banned
Delaying Hogwart's legacy on last gen is a great sign for the industry.

Obviously, the game wasn't in good shape, so delay it. It's the right thing to do and there are diminished returns on last gen anyways. Prioritize getting current gen out on time and go from there.

Last gen versions shouldn't exist. The Series S is dirt cheap.

NickFire

Not sure how you've figured that the game getting delayed on multiple platforms 2 months before launch is a "good sign for the industry".

All it proves is that studio was not truly prepared to get this running well on last gen but doesn't want to give up those sales. Now, current gen version will release and be reviewed (from what we've seen so far probably quite well) and that review score will carry forward to last gen copies. So if it gets a 8 or 9, regardless of if its a buggy mess on last gen (which is likely considering the delay) the game will still be labeled as an 8 or 9 because when ppl talk about the game they will mostly refer to current gen version.

It's a strong marketing strategy and further enables the greed of this industry(which has become quite obscene over the years). Not what I'd call a good sign. But fair play for looking on the brightside OP
The willingness to delay the game on old gen, instead of just providing new gen review copies and releasing same day, is a good sign IMO. They could easily manipulate the previews and reviews with limits on what they show just to sell tons of copies of unfinished ports, but have chosen not to. That is good.

With respect to people assuming old gen will be worth the same review scores as new gen, well, if that happens it will be the fault of critics and consumers and no one else. But it wouldn't be different if they kept the old gen launch date the same, so I don't understand why you think the pub is being nefarious here at all.

Fess up - are you just salty because you haven't gotten a Series or PS5 yet? It's the only explanation that makes sense to me. I ask this because I think the only solution from your perspective would be delaying all versions to the same date. Based on a subsequent post you don't seem to be in the drop last gen camp.

Top Bottom