• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division 1.10 (Pro patch) released.

TalonJH

It looks better? Lol I mean come on.
Sorry, I should have phrased it better. Is it a minor enough performance hit that I would choose it over not having it.

Is this a joke? If you can't improve the 3D graphics, why wouldn't you want the text to look clearer?
2D at native res is really sharp and nice, while not being expensive performance-wise.

I just have never seen it as a useful option on my PC. Is the performance hit super minor? I usually choose to prioritize other settings. If it's that minor, why not alway render the UI at higher resolutions?

I get it now, I just looked at not worth a couple frames(if that?). I also should have phrased it better in that I understand having a clearer UI, I just never it as a worthy option to adjust.

Hjod

Banned
I don't know of it's possible, probably not, but The Division is one game that would look insane with HDR.

The street lights and the snow, it would be amazing.

Ushay

4k UI, damn that's pretty weak. This would have looked great in HDR.

At the very least they've made an effort of some sort. You never know, they most likely have full development on the next game in swing.

Playing some PVE Survival. Natural lighting really helps with spotting a place for shelter.

amarectv2016-12-2014-zfsj0.png

amarectv2016-12-2014-cusol.png

amarectv2016-12-2014-bjseb.png

I haven't been able to play for weeks, it was crashing at the logging in screen, now it is just sitting on that screen. Tried all the fixes even initialised my ps4 which fixed it for one load up.
Yeah I had the same deal with the crashes, now this. WTF. I'll try restarting my system.

I haven't been able to play for weeks, it was crashing at the logging in screen, now it is just sitting on that screen. Tried all the fixes even initialised my ps4 which fixed it for one load up.

Yeah happened to me when I first opened the game but after quitting the game, I was able to log in.

so i'm not the only one.. how is this not fixed ffs? last night it took me something like 20 tries for the game to boot, half an hour of just trying to get in the starting screen, unbelievable really. never had problems quite like that with a console game.

i kept spamming the error reports after every crash, glad my account wasn't banned from PSN lol. probably looked like a hacking attempt or something on the server side.

Yeah I had the same deal with the crashes, now this. WTF. I'll try restarting my system.

Yup same thing here. Restarted multiple times but I am still stuck at the connecting screen.

I am pissed. I also had to deal with an error problem for weeks trying to get this game load and now this. They stated the error was fixed in this patch but it seems like it just caused another problem.

Wonder if the logging in screen issue is due to popularity spike that's similar to what was seen on PC Survival launch?

I'd imagine with the pretty sharp drop off in popularity a few months down the line, Ubi may have pared back server capacity -- might just be a server issue rather than a client issue.

Tyaren

Can someone take a look at the anisotropic filtering? It's usually also a good deal better than on the OG PS4 and is next to the IQ bump imo the biggest improvement.
Still don't get why PS4/XB One have such a hard time with it...

thelastword

Banned
Can someone take a look at the anisotropic filtering? It's usually also a good deal better than on the OG PS4 and is next to the IQ bump imo the biggest improvement.
Still don't get why PS4/XB One have such a hard time with it...
Pretty much every Pro game has high levels of AF, some have better draw distance as well.

Still, will look to see the differences. I guess they're pretty much graphical upgrades on the Division, but Ubisoft's pro patches have been very hohum, it appears only games in development have had excellent support so far. Is it that Ubi just does not want to invest a couple of days to do a proper pro patch for their games?

FC4, Primal, Unity, Siege all need pro patches....That syndicate patch promised 1080p on PS4 OG and 1620p on Pro, so far, it's all failed miserably in execution. I hope they resolve these issues soon, because it's not good.

xclaw

I'm incredibly disappointed but not at all too shocked. I was holding out on purchasing a Pro just to see what could be done to improve an already great looking game.

Here's hoping they might do something down the lane, until then just one more Pro sitting on a shelf out there.

Ted

The main feature of the patch is Survival mode surely? I think the Pro support is pretty incidental. Personally I think that is as it should be when there has been and continue to be so many general issues for users that need (or have needed) fixes and balancing. From connection issues to QoL issues to full on game play tweaks, there are only so many hours in a day and Massive seem to have been pretty good at least at trying to improve and refine the game post launch.

The Survival DLC itself so far seems pretty good. Played a couple of rounds last night and enjoyed the concept. The first one I played I died pretty quickly as I really didn't know what I was doing and having not played for awhile (either the Division or the PS4) I kept trying to use circle to open things and cross to scale objects.

Second time through I managed to get enough materials to make it to GS82, clothing resist to -13 and the advanced virus filter. Unfortunately I took too long faffing about (was one of only two left alive) so my virus timer got down to 6 minutes. I made a dash for the DZ but ran into two gold cleaners a block away and though we danced for a hot minute, I couldn't escape and ended up dead in a doorway.

Got two caches for my trouble which doesn't seem like much given how quickly you can loot elsewhere in the game but it didn't feel like it mattered as the mode itself was so fun.

Looking forward to play some more but wish the locations of stash boxes etc. changed as I have a funny feeling that after a few rounds, things might start to feel a little routine as I begin to find "routes" from spawn districts that provide me with all required gear.

Must we go through this with every Pro patch to an older game? For the most part, all a Pro patch is is making sure the game runs in Pro mode without breaking. People need to check their expectations. The advantages of these type of patches are similar to the types of improvements a base XB1 game gets when running on an XB1 S.

Sony was more conservative with their compatibility. They didn't want any chance that the upgraded hardware would introduce bugs, so they made the compatibility mode exactly like the base mode and required devs to explicitly allow Pro mode. For older games, just accept the small bump Pro mode gives and be thankful devs put in the effort at all.

I suspect the real reason for the Pro patches for older games is simply to allow new DLC to take advantage of the extra Pro capabilities. That's an easy way for devs to test out developing for the Pro on a smaller development and make money doing it. This is similar to the reason for the cross gen ports early in a new console generation. Those too were similarly underwhelming.

Looking forward to play some more but wish the locations of stash boxes etc. changed as I have a funny feeling that after a few rounds, things might start to feel a little routine as I begin to find "routes" from spawn districts that provide me with all required gear.
Thanks for that write up. That's a real shame about the non-randomized stashes. I recently bought The Division for $10. I'll get around to playing it after I finish off a couple more games from my backlog. I was looking forward to getting Survival, but with non-randomization, by the time I get around to playing, everyone else will have a super optimized meta game which will mean little fun for me playing against them.

madmackem

Must we go through this with every Pro patch to an older game? For the most part, all a Pro patch is is making sure the game runs in Pro mode without breaking. People need to check their expectations. The advantages of these type of patches are similar to the types of improvements a base XB1 game gets when running on an XB1 S.

Sony was more conservative with their compatibility. They didn't want any chance that the upgraded hardware would introduce bugs, so they made the compatibility mode exactly like the base mode and required devs to explicitly allow Pro mode. For older games, just accept the small bump Pro mode gives and be thankful devs put in the effort at all.

I suspect the real reason for the Pro patches for older games is simply to allow new DLC to take advantage of the extra Pro capabilities. That's an easy way for devs to test out developing for the Pro on a smaller development and make money doing it. This is similar to the reason for the cross gen ports early in a new console generation. Those too were similarly underwhelming.

Thanks for that write up. That's a real shame about the non-randomized stashes. I recently bought The Division for $10. I'll get around to playing it after I finish off a couple more games from my backlog. I was looking forward to getting Survival, but with non-randomization, by the time I get around to playing, everyone else will have a super optimized meta game which will mean little fun for me playing against them.
That's not typical of a pro patch at all, the max you ever saw was three or four frames better off on the s, nearly every pro patch even this one is better than that and this patch is pretty underwhelming as pro patchs go.

That's not typical of a pro patch at all, the max you ever saw was three or four frames better off on the s, nearly every pro patch even this one is better than that and this patch is pretty underwhelming as pro patchs go.
Agreed. I was talking about the general order of magnitude of changes people should expect. The Pro has much better hardware over the base PS4 than the XB1 S has over the base XB1. Also devs typically make some small changes to the code to add features for the Pro.

However, the changes for a patched game will be significantly less than what we'll see from games specifically developed with the Pro in mind. People's expectations would be much closer to reality if they thought of Pro patches to older games more as a compatibility patch than a performance patch. Right now people's expectations for these Pro patches are "Ok PS4 Pro, blow me away". That ain't gonna happen unless a developer has a significant reason to go all in and show off, like a Sony first party dev.

GazzaGSi

I think Pro patches on previously released non first party titles aren't meeting expectations due to how 'simple' Cerny described the process of upping the res or whatever and to see improvements in IQ, wasn't it just 24-48 hours to complete the infamous Pro patches IIRC? So when a Dev says PS Pro support is being worked on people assume a res increase is a given, especially as some non first party titles have had a bump in res and look exceptional on the pro.

I'll admit I was disappointed with the division Pro patch, especially after being spoilt playing it in 4k on my PC during the free weekend. Maybe it was naive but when it was announced last week they'd been working on a Pro patch I just assumed from the off there would be a res increase. When it was just the UI@4k Assassins Creed Syndicate came to my and I was left abit dejected. Although after trying it, it has certainly made a great difference when browsing the inventory and vendor items etc with the sharper text.

PaNaMa

Banned
I swear the game looks better after pro patch, but it might just be my imagination. It just looks "cleaner" if that makes sense. But performance seemed ever so slightly impacted. I'll explore more today after work, only mucked about for 5 minutes late last night.

However, the changes for a patched game will be significantly less than what we'll see from games specifically developed with the Pro in mind. People's expectations would be much closer to reality if they thought of Pro patches to older games more as a compatibility patch than a performance patch.
While you're right that ground-up games will use the hardware better, "compatability" is not what people should expect on patched games. The average Pro-enhanced game has a much higher resolution, effects, framerate, or some mixture. This patch for The Division is notably minimal, not in any way typical. I'd say only Overwatch does less. (Other games with restricted modes on 1080p displays may be underwhelming too, but for them you can achieve better results at 4K. Not so for The Division.)

I think Pro patches on previously released non first party titles aren't meeting expectations due to how 'simple' Cerny described the process of upping the res or whatever and to see improvements in IQ, wasn't it just 24-48 hours to complete the infamous Pro patches IIRC?
I don't think that's right. I believe it was said that Infamous took a couple people a couple weeks.

When it was just the UI@4k Assassins Creed Syndicate came to my and I was left abit dejected.
It's not just the UI. Shadows and reflections have been improved to match higher settings on PC.

Ted

I was looking forward to getting Survival, but with non-randomization, by the time I get around to playing, everyone else will have a super optimized meta game which will mean little fun for me playing against them.

Don't let me put you off, it's definitely fun and there's nothing stopping you playing survival now and the rest of the game when your schedule opens up. As far as I know you just have to have returned to Manhattan and have unlocked the Base of Operations. Both of these things happen very early in the game, probably only about 20 - 40 minutes of character creating and completing the early tutorial side missions go on before you get to the required point.

We'll have to wait and see how much of an issue it actually is in this particular game mode. The patch has been out for a month or so on XB1 and I haven't seen too many complaints in the OT of repetitiveness so I might be well off base/speaking only for myself.

For me, I could see the PvE becoming too routine (spawned in X location so I'll head straight to Y, then to Z and by then I will have enough mats to craft A, B and C thing) and PvP becoming too much of a five to ten minute resource scramble followed by protracted ducking and weaving once the chaff has been removed from the wheat but neither of those things may be an issue for another person.

There is also often new or more occasional players out there playing as well as you and I. Even now when I do early incursions on lower world tiers to help players leveling up I'm always surprised by how many people have never completed the activities so essentially have no idea how it all works.

And besides, despite all I have said I'm still looking forward to getting home from work and playing so there's definitely something good in there!!

Ooh, and I hope you enjoy the game when you get to it, whenever that is.

Vanadium

Looks fine but the wacky NES style slow downs is gone finally. Survival is sweet though. 90 mins of sneaking around to get to the landing zone and wasted on the helipad when the cord came down. I"m going back in.

Helznicht

Only reason I feel it would be worth buying for is if they fixed the horrible control lag that plagued the console versions.

Pjsprojects

I think you're expecting a bit much here guys. I have a 1070 and can't even run the game locked 30 at 1440p maxed. It still has severe drops during fights. It's a very demanding game.

Really? I keep above 30fps at same settings with a R9-290x,surly you should be over thirty.

what the fuck did they do? the game doesn't even work anymore, last night i tried booting up the game for half an hour or so and it just gets stuck in the "connecting" screen. and now the same, still doesn't work.

Ubi should be embarrassed, i've never had problems like this just trying to boot up a game. and JUST when i was getting into the meat of the game and really started to enjoy it... argh. two nights ruined now.

anything i can do to try and fix it, or is the problem on their side like i suspect it is?

People have reported that rebooting PS4 helps with that.
Thanks, it did work and I was able to play last night.

what the fuck did they do? the game doesn't even work anymore, last night i tried booting up the game for half an hour or so and it just gets stuck in the "connecting" screen. and now the same, still doesn't work.

Ubi should be embarrassed, i've never had problems like this just trying to boot up a game. and JUST when i was getting into the meat of the game and really started to enjoy it... argh. two nights ruined now.

anything i can do to try and fix it, or is the problem on their side like i suspect it is?
What system? Try restarting. That worked for me on PS4.

Thanks, it did work and I was able to play last night.

What system? Try restarting. That worked for me on PS4.

PS4 of course, isn't this thread about the Pro patch? heh

ok restarting PS4 now, doubt it will work though because i did restart aft... holy shit it worked thanks!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just grabbed the survival DLC and after 3 playthroughs I finally got some loot...

and...

You can only use it if you are at max level? I'm only level 18... is all loot acquired in the DLC useless to me until I hit max level?

Top Bottom