• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division 1.8 - Trailer - Map Extension, new PVE (Resistance) and PVP (Skirmish)

FREE update, no ETA yet.
Trailer
Gameplay stream tomorrow
A tester is answering questions about the mode.

west_side_pier_01.jpg

The Division's free 1.8 Update is coming this fall for all platforms and it's the biggest update for the game so far, containing two new modes – the Resistance PVE mode and Skirmish PVP mode – and a West Side Pier map expansion spread across two zones. This will be open for all players and features a new Camp Clinton social space where players can gear up and meet up with other Agents.

In addition to new open-world activities, the West Side Pier is also the site of the two aforementioned modes. In Resistance PVE mode, up to four Division Agents have to take on waves of enemies from all factions. Survive for your chance to earn rewards.

If you prefer to test your skills against live opponents, the new PVP mode, Skirmish, pits two teams of four players against each other to score the highest number of kills before the timer runs out. It won't be enough to just down your enemies, though; only by eliminating them can you earn points.

Finally, the Resistance update brings a host of smaller adjustments, including improvements to the Underground DLC and rogue mechanics, as well as gear system changes that will enable you to improve the stats on your favorite items.

The Division is available now for Xbox One, PS4, and PC. For more on Update 1.8, be sure to check out twitch.tv/thedivisiongame on August 31 at 8AM PDT, and stay tuned to UbiBlog.

For those who haven't been following, we also recently got a 1.7 update. Full details here: https://tomclancy-thedivision.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news/152-298795/update-17-patch-notes

UPDATE WITH GAMEPLAY WALKTHROUGH
:

1.8 walkthrough (they only show a fraction of what's coming with it):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/171176183

Some of the takeaways:
- The new map expansion seems pretty big, actually.
- There's a new activity alert system for it, so that as you travel the map, you'll be notified of little side activities/areas to clear.
- There are new audio logs/missions that reveal a good narrative.
- There are west side pier challenges and caches that award Division tech (only opportunity to get it outside of the DZ).
- Division Tech is going to be used as one of the currencies to optimize gear.
- There's a spawn system for that area specifically, to ensure that you're always on your toes - apparently it can control levels of aggression and faction combos and surprising flanks to make the minute to minute traversal/combat fun.
- New exotic weapons coming.
- Hip fire is changing (you won't see your reticle)
- Weapon balancing and gear balancing is coming (including changes to low RPM guns and Savage gloves)

Still to come:
- Horde mode gameplay
- Skirmish gameplay
- Changes to Rogue system (making it more rewarding to go rogue AND to kill rogues)
- Changes to Underground DLC
- Other changes that affect the rest of the game.

Is this a free update? I'm surprised they are still updating this game, that's pretty cool.

I put 25+ days into this, I'm pretty burnt out so I don't think I'll try this.

adversarial

"In Resistance PVE mode, up to four Division Agents have to take on waves of enemies from all factions. Survive for your chance to earn rewards."

How many Horde modes does this fucking game need?

Dynomutt

I'm so mad about this game. It's a love hate relationship. Tried so hard to get back into it but felt like I couldn't get on track. Some many changes and inconsistencies. With Destiny 2 coming I feel I will never get my monies worth.

Still love the concept and played through the regular story mode. My biggest gaming regret this generation.

Is this a free update? I'm surprised they are still updating this game, that's pretty cool.

I put 25+ days into this, I'm pretty burnt out so I don't think I'll try this.
Free update, yup! 1.7 was also a free update that added Global Events, loadouts and Classified Gear. A surprisingly nice round of additions between these two updates when it seemed like Massive was pretty close to wrapping up the game totally from early reports on their year 2 plans.

I'm so mad about this game. It's a love hate relationship. Tried so hard to get back into it but felt like I couldn't get on track. Some many changes and inconsistencies. With Destiny 2 coming I feel I will never get my monies worth.

Still love the concept and played through the regular story mode. My biggest gaming regret this generation.
I have that love-hate relationship too. I spent so much time min-maxing my character when Armor was king as a stat, and now it's really, far, far less important. So a lot of my grinding and recalibrating was for nothing in the long run. That said, with 1.7, I've been trying new loadouts and been surprised that the non maximized builds are actually playing fun and doing just fine for the PVE content, so it's been easier than expected to roll back into the game.

If only they'd focused more on the survival mode.
Agreed. A few quality of life adjustments and re-balancing, randomized item locations, etc. would go so far in what's easily the best addition to the game since it first came out.

xclaw

I've loosely followed what they've been doing with updates but still haven't touched the game in months. This map expansion however may be enough to get me to load it back up.

The whole pay for lootboxes or whatever left a sour taste in my mouth, also lack of really anything for us suckers that bought the season's pass.

have they made a BR mode yet?

they should make a BR mode, with no strings attached.
PVP Survival, added a long time ago, is kind of that already, yeah. Every player spawns in a safe house on the edges of the map, making their way into the Dark Zone at the center while scavenging clothes to survive the temperature, food and drink to quench thirst/hunger and materials to craft better weapons and gear. As you make it to the DZ, you have to get specific items and then extract them and yourself. Calling in the extraction spawns a boss-type enemy, the Hunter, and lets everyone else still alive in the game know where you are located. It's a really great mode.

Gator86

A dumbfounding choice really. Survival is pretty close to the hottest thing in gaming. Why not double down on that instead of what feels like the 17th horde mode in this game?

A dumbfounding choice really. Survival is pretty close to the hottest thing in gaming. Why not double down on that instead of what feels like the 17th horde mode in this game?
I would guess that they are hard at work on expanding on Survival mode for the sequel. I feel like they kind of shot themselves in the foot by making it part of the season pass and not part of the base game - too many Division players had jumped ship before it came around, so my guess is this'll be a day 1 feature for the inevitable sequel.

Gator86

I would guess that they are hard at work on expanding on Survival mode for the sequel. I feel like they kind of shot themselves in the foot by making it part of the season pass and not part of the base game - too many Division players had jumped ship before it came around, so my guess is this'll be a day 1 feature for the inevitable sequel.

Will the market still be in search of those games still? Alternatively, the industry might be flooded with a deluge of copycats by then. Yeah, rough break for Ubi with this.

I only wound up with the Season pass because I got the game with a deal that made the deluxe edition basically the same price.

I wonder when we'll hear something about Division 2. Haven't even heard murmors yet unless I missed something.

I really feel like they should drop the season pass gate and open up ALL CONTENT for everyone soon. Game has been out for almost 18 months now. It's gonna be hard to pull people away from Destiny 2 with this update alone.

With that said, it's about fucking time that they extended the PVE map. If this includes a few story missions it'll easily be the best update outside of survival for the game.

For the division 2 they really need to keep game modes away from paid content. Paid content for the division should be map extensions (pve AND pvp) and new story missions only IMO. Everything else should be added to the core game for free.

Like 4 of the raids in the game are go to this area, survive 20 waves of enemies.

That is practically the entirety of this games PVE.

I haven't played in a while though.
Falcon Lost had 15 waves of enemies, it's true, but I can't think of any other wave-based incursions? When Falcon Lost launched, the scaling of enemy damage, particularly on shotgunners, made it feel less like a true horde mode and more like a tedious grind where you had to stay in one spot to survive, pop survival link at x, y, z waves to plant the bomb without wiping, etc. This sounds like it's going to be a far more fluid horde mode. The test server player (link above) says it's super fun.

Will the market still be in search of those games still? Alternatively, the industry might be flooded with a deluge of copycats by then. Yeah, rough break for Ubi with this.

I only wound up with the Season pass because I got the game with a deal that made the deluxe edition basically the same price.

I wonder when we'll hear something about Division 2. Haven't even heard murmors yet unless I missed something.
It feels like they are hard at work on it, with a skeleton team on the year 2 content. There's been a lot of really positive changes to the game recently that I would think are doubling as development on the follow-up, so that it comes in fully-featured and less unbalanced. My personal expectation would be that it releases next fall. Given that PUBG likely won't be out of early access on Xbox until the new year, that still puts it in an okay position for console players if they do it right. The Battle Royale mode layered with Survival Mode mechanics (warmth/hunger/thirst/extractions, etc.) feels like it's the kind of mode that can outlast genre fatigue, partly because I find the moment to moment gameplay so fun (when it's balanced...so happy the days of the tanky, super accurate, two shot shotgunners are a thing of the past).

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I remember glitching out of the map last year and walking around this area with friends. I'd like to play this with my old group but yea Destiny 2 is here now.

west_side_pier_01.jpg

WTF is this shit.

It's supposed to be USS Intrepid, the Essex class carrier, a musuem ship in Manhattan.

WTF is this... It doesn't look like anything... It's not a bow it's not a stern ffs have they NEVER seen a ship bow in the life ?

renzolama

That "raid" with the tank in the room, spawned enemies in an infinite loop. :lol

Don't forget the mostly-unavoidable fire that covers the room over and over and over and over and over and over again. The best part is the red "you're about to be standing in fire" warning that just covers the entire floor and blinks as though it's giving you some useful information to inform your avoidance strategy.

WTF is this... It doesn't look like anything... It's not a bow it's not a stern ffs have they NEVER seen a ship bow in the life ?

I think they got mixed up in their research and accidentally turned to the encyclopedia page with a sperm whale on it.

Lazlo

Landmark licensing costs or other legal restrictions. Maybe the navy / museum doesn't want a game full of people shooting eachother on a popular landmark.

AlexBasch

People still play this in XB1? Sometimes I try to do matchmaking and the whole thing is a ghost town, maybe it's because I'm low level or something but nobody seems to be around at all.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If I wanted to get back into this, do I need to get the season pass? Or does having just the base game gt me enough?

Ashtar

People still play this in XB1? Sometimes I try to do matchmaking and the whole thing is a ghost town, maybe it's because I'm low level or something but nobody seems to be around at all.
Do you use lfg?
I haven't played in a month or two but there were still people on PS4 last I played.
They do need to give up the ghost and make the dlc free now ain't nobody buying that stuff anymore and it'd get more players into survival and what not.

drigosr

I always find people playing this game, don't know why you 're having trouble finding a squad. If you just go into a Dark Zone you will automatically be received by many " nice" people.

renzolama

I always find people playing this game, don't know why you 're having trouble finding a squad. If you just go into a Dark Zone you will automatically be received by many " nice" people.

Don't trust the ones with flamethrowers or the ones who look like soldiers either

This will be open for all players..

Say no more, I'll be there.

Most people are already on end game doing end game stuff. Last time I played it on PC a few months ago, the hubs are still packed with people hanging around. Matchmaking for dailies were also almost instaneous still.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Survival is still the most fun this game offers up...

Easily worth re-installing it when it dropped. So much fun with a group

Budi

I very much like the game and played it for almost 200 hours. But never really ended up playing the DLC:s and I just don't feel like it would be easy to jump back in even with these updates and the mentioned DLC I own. Just even the thought frustrates me somehow, but not because I don't like the game. I've just been away for so long and kinda would need to start from the scratch.

Really love that they are doing this free update, it was unexpected.

Absolutely. I could see a polished Division sequel doing incredibly well if the dead zone focused on BR-style gameplay.

AlexBasch

Do you use lfg?

Most people are already on end game doing end game stuff. Last time I played it on PC a few months ago, the hubs are still packed with people hanging around. Matchmaking for dailies were also almost instaneous still.
I don't use that feature since it's all filled with endgame people with high level weapons and whynot, guess I jumped really late into the game, since I just want help with one or two missions and not run around with a full group who does Dark Zone. I have no interest on PVP stuff. :/

Thanks for the replies anyway. <3

1.8 walkthrough (they only show a fraction of what's coming with it):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/171176183

Some of the takeaways:
- The new map expansion seems pretty big, actually.
- There's a new activity alert system for it, so that as you travel the map, you'll be notified of little side activities/areas to clear.
- There are new audio logs/missions that reveal a good narrative.
- There are west side pier challenges and caches that award Division tech (only opportunity to get it outside of the DZ).
- Division Tech is going to be used as one of the currencies to optimize gear.
- There's a spawn system for that area specifically, to ensure that you're always on your toes - apparently it can control levels of aggression and faction combos and surprising flanks to make the minute to minute traversal/combat fun.
- New exotic weapons coming.
- Hip fire is changing (you won't see your reticle)
- Weapon balancing and gear balancing is coming (including changes to low RPM guns and Savage gloves)

Still to come:
- Horde mode gameplay
- Skirmish gameplay
- Changes to Rogue system (making it more rewarding to go rogue AND to kill rogues)
- Changes to Underground DLC
- Other changes that affect the rest of the game.

If I wanted to get back into this, do I need to get the season pass? Or does having just the base game gt me enough?

Yeah I'm wondering this too. I was thinking of getting the base game for $10 at Gamestop but I'm not sure how much content I have without the paid DLC.

Leyasu

Banned

Yeah, learn from pubg.

Survival is still the most fun this game offers up...

Easily worth re-installing it when it dropped. So much fun with a group

Survival WAS awesome. Then they turned it into an almost impossible mission. Less loot, tons more enemies and you yourself seemed to be made of marshmallow.

I think that it was 1.6 that they fucked it.

Survival WAS awesome. Then they turned it into an almost impossible mission. Less loot, tons more enemies and you yourself seemed to be made of marshmallow.

I think that it was 1.6 that they fucked it.
Truthfully, I haven't played that mode since 1.6 dropped. It was a great mode previously. Truthfully, I always thought the NPCs in the DZ, the Elites and named bosses, were just a bit too powerful to really feel that risk/reward of going after them or sneaking by them before having a really perfect loadout of crafted weapons and skills, but I still had a blast with it. If it's tipped more towards even harder...not sure I'd want to jump back in.

Yeah I'm wondering this too. I was thinking of getting the base game for $10 at Gamestop but I'm not sure how much content I have without the paid DLC.
Base game has a ton of content, including recent additions from the free update 1.7 and this one coming 1.8. If you're starting fresh, there's tons of story missions, named enemies roaming the map, the high value targets (daily and weekly refreshes), the monthly global events, the dark zone (pve with risk of pvp) and coming soon the horde mode and the skirmish mode (pvp). It's A LOT of game for $10. My suggestion would be to not be worried with chasing gear/crafting/recalibrating gear until you hit level 30 and world tier 5 with full 256 scored gear.

dLMN8R

Man, I haven't played this game at all since last year before any of the big patches dropped. I loved it then and sunk 30-40 hours into it.

There's an ungodly amount of new stuff to deal with. I don't want to start my character over, so does anyone have any tips on what the heck to do?

I assume all my gear is out-leveled at this point and needs to be replaced. But can anyone summarize the biggest additions made to the game in the last 12 months? Maybe I'll also go back and read through the previous patch summaries.

EL CUCO

Respect to Ubisoft for continuing to support The Division. I'll be keeping a close eye on the PVP. If they can finally put a strangle on the crazy chicken strafe, I might pick it again on the PC.

hydruxo

Man, I haven't played this game at all since last year before any of the big patches dropped. I loved it then and sunk 30-40 hours into it.

There's an ungodly amount of new stuff to deal with. I don't want to start my character over, so does anyone have any tips on what the heck to do?

I assume all my gear is out-leveled at this point and needs to be replaced. But can anyone summarize the biggest additions made to the game in the last 12 months? Maybe I'll also go back and read through the previous patch summaries.

I'm in the same boat. The gear has so many stats and shit on it that I feel massively overwhelmed trying to figure out what I need to craft or go after.

Top Bottom