• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you; I was holding off on preordering this game until deathcab from NeoGAF shared their definitive opinion on it. Your wise words have always guided my purchasing decisions in the past and I felt lost when you were still silent with only a week left until release. I feel like I've dodged a bullet here today.
Your stance on citing Watch Dogs to judge all future Ubisoft titles is refreshingly insightful; those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it indeed, and you have shown yourself to be wise beyond your years in such regard.

I also thank you for prefacing your post with an explanation as to why you couldn't be bothered reading anything in the thread prior to making your post; you would be correct in your assumption, everyone in the thread is indeed below you and unworthy of your carefully-budgeted internet forum time.

I personally thank you for spending the time required to make such informed posts and I implore other members to heed the words of this sage's advice in the future. If you have already made the mistake of preordering The Division, be sure to contact the outlet you preordered from and cancel it immediately before it's too late and Ubisoft claims another victim.

Ether

Lemondish

I was just thinking...

Being a resident of the North Eastern USA and somewhat familiar and close to NYC... the setting feels very "home" to me. As such, It does sort of seems "mundane" or "bland" in a way (dont get me wrong i'm pumped and love the setting) when compared to another city that is more foreign, and mysterious/unfamiliar to me... say London for example.

If the Division took place in London or Prague or some other city i dont know i feel like it might have slightly more appeal personally. Anybody feel this way?

Any Americans or NYC'ers feel it's too familiar or not exciting enough... or the exact opposite that it's so close to home it's impact is even greater. Any non American Gaf'ers find the NYC setting very appealing as a result?

Discuss...

Everything happens in New York. It's been old hat for decades.

deoee

Thank you; I was holding off on preordering this game until deathcab from NeoGAF shared their definitive opinion on it. Your wise words have always guided my purchasing decisions in the past and I felt lost when you were still silent with only a week left until release. I feel like I've dodged a bullet here today.
Your stance on citing Watch Dogs to judge all future Ubisoft titles is refreshingly insightful; those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it indeed, and you have shown yourself to be wise beyond your years in such regard.

I also thank you for prefacing your post with an explanation as to why you couldn't be bothered reading anything in the thread prior to making your post; you would be correct in your assumption, everyone in the thread is indeed below you and unworthy of your carefully-budgeted internet forum time.

I personally thank you for spending the time required to make such informed posts and I implore other members to heed the words of this sage's advice in the future. If you have already made the mistake of preordering The Division, be sure to contact the outlet you preordered from and cancel it immediately before it's too late and Ubisoft claims another victim.
image.php

Gold

Lemondish

For me, having the game take place in NYC has a greater positive impact on the whole experience. We've had games that tried to have that NY feel but didn't quite nail it. I think Massive did a great job in almost creating a 1 to 1 version of NY in a video game. It's also cool that it's in NY because of the layers of levels that they could open up for exploration. Besides the tops streets you have the whole subway system and sewers. I don't really know of any other city that has quite an expansive subway/ sewer system.

Hong Kong would fit.

SamuraiX-

gotDAYUM

Klyka

Banned

image.php

When you burn a man alive and the ether is juuuuuuuuust right

SomTervo

Ok, so I realised the Division is really close to release, but I haven't been following it at all despite having a keen interest in it.

Whats the reception been so far to the betas?

I'd look through the thread but all I see are pandas.

So,the game is actually good/fun?
I didn't follow it at all,didn't even know it had rpg elements.
Might actually buy the pc version,i need something to keep me busy until dark souls 3 comes out.
Another dumb question,what does the gold edition include? How's the perfomance? I have a gtx 970.
Sorry if this has been asked a million times before.

I had 0% interest before the Open Beta and thought it would be a dull run of the mill military shooter with a gimmicky setting and the worst bits of Destiny bolted on - as well as immersion-breaking RPG hitreg/damage.

I played the Open Beta as a singleplayer experience and my hype is now 100%. It felt like a great singleplayer/coop tactical action game - like an early Ghost Recon meets Rainbow Six Vegas meets the best bits of Splinter Cell Blacklist.

It also hits a Deus Ex: Human Resources blend of action and RPG for me - you can sneak around/up on enemies, ambush them, lose them, use a very good and deep skill trees to thwart them, etc. plus amazing Apparel options - super addictive getting new clothes.

On top of that, it nailed The Last of Us's great apocalyptic vibe and great level design (imo). Wonderfully inmersive, atmosperic and compelling to explore. A silent, dangerous, realistic city.

I cant wait.

8bit

Knows the Score
I ha 0% interest before the Open Beta and thought it would be a dull run of the mill military shooter with a gimmicky setting and the worst bits of Destiny bolted on - as well as immersion-breaking RPG hitreg/damage.

I played the Open Beta as a singleplayer experience and my hype is now 100%. It felt like a great singleplayer/coop tactical action game - like an early Ghost Recon meets Rainbow Six Vegas meets the best bits of Splinter Cell Blacklist.

It also hits a Deus Ex: Human Resources blend of action and RPG for me - you can sneak around/up on enemies, ambush them, lose them, use a very good and deep skill trees to thwart them, etc. plus amazing Apparel options - super addictive getting new clothes.

On top of that, it nailed The Last of Us's great apocalyptic vibe and great level design (imo). Wonderfully inmersive, atmosperic and compelling to explore. A silent, dangerous, realistic city.

I cant wait.

I'm a sucker for post apocalypse stuff and that combined with the price on the Argentinian XB store means I'm sold.

SomTervo

I'm a sucker for post apocalypse stuff and that combined with the price on the Argentinian XB store means I'm sold.

This is more mid-crisis but it's close enough :)

IIRC the original concept of the game was 'what if team Rainbow or Sam Fisher failed and a city/country actually got ruined by a near-future terrorist attack? What if we played the aftermath?'

So it is literally post-apocalyptic - but the game does take place immediately after the crisis has happened, like in the months afterwards. For me, though, in terms of vibe, it definitely felt bona fide post-apocalyptic. There were only a handful of civilians and/or enemies wandering around each block in the Beta, with high concentrations on various missions/events. Apparently that'll be upped in full game, so maybe it won't be as quiet then.

It also had all that brutal tragedy of realistic apocalypse scenarios like The Road or The Last of Us. People being horrible to each other, trauma and loss everywhere. The city was so well done and imbued with humanity.

omgicantwait.gif

Anton668

now thanks to some well planned PTO.... 4 day weekend incoming!!

now what to fill it with I wonder......

P.S. send moar Pandas!!!

tilomite!

Lmao, this is great.

Kane1345

IIRC the original concept of the game was 'what if team Rainbow or Sam Fisher failed and a city/country actually got ruined by a near-future terrorist attack? What if we played the aftermath?'

So it is literally post-apocalyptic - but the game does take place immediately after the crisis has happened, like in the months afterwards. For me, though, in terms of vibe, it definitely felt bona fide post-apocalyptic. There were only a handful of civilians and/or enemies wandering around each block in the Beta, with high concentrations on various missions/events. Apparently that'll be upped in full game, so maybe it won't be as quiet then.

It also had all that brutal tragedy of realistic apocalypse scenarios like The Road or The Last of Us. People being horrible to each other, trauma and loss everywhere. The city was so well done and imbued with humanity.

omgicantwait.gif

I agree with the vibe being post-apocolyptic but I was just going off the descriptions I've seen from articles and vids describing it as a mid-crisis New York.

Like in this Ubi Blog for example

Whatever stage it's in I do agree that the vibe and setting is more in tune with a post-apocolyptic setting. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it :D

EDIT: That pic is huge lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Spoiler warning:
She's no real assassin which is why she got rekt

So basically she's only good at passing the ball off to us ;)
Hopefully, her acting is weird (outside of L&O were she was good) and just super hammy.

I'm already thinking this game is on the corny side, she doesn't help. And the serious tone of the marketing is pretty gross in a game where firefighters all wake up one day and decide to burn New Yorkers alive, because it makes them convenient videogame fodder for the player to murder without moral objection. Just the tone is all over the place.

It's a bit gross, tbh.

Raven117

Gold Member
I was just thinking...

Being a resident of the North Eastern USA and somewhat familiar and close to NYC... the setting feels very "home" to me. As such, It does sort of seems "mundane" or "bland" in a way (dont get me wrong i'm pumped and love the setting) when compared to another city that is more foreign, and mysterious/unfamiliar to me... say London for example.

If the Division took place in London or Prague or some other city i dont know i feel like it might have slightly more appeal personally. Anybody feel this way?

Any Americans or NYC'ers feel it's too familiar or not exciting enough... or the exact opposite that it's so close to home it's impact is even greater. Any non American Gaf'ers find the NYC setting very appealing as a result?

Discuss...

If Ubisoft is thinking that "The Division" will be a franchise like The Division: NYC, The Division: London (or whatever), I think it makes sense to pick NYC first.

NYC is one of the worlds most iconic cities and it represents one of the most "advanced" cities in the world. A fall of that structure would be all the more potent.

However, if they decide to keep moving from city to city, they could really go for different " for each game.

Prague could be INSANELY awesome... Its already a city with a bit of "grimm's fairy tale" thing going on" (Saint Vitus, Old Town...Our Lady of Tyn) . . . mix in some weird dark old Europe fairy tale with a modern day post-apocalypse tail and you have something that could be awesome.

Regardless, NYC (while a little cliché because its always NYC), is a good first choice for a game where most gamers will immediately identify with it.

TheRyanx2

Neo Member
Finally was able to get a pre-order in for the Gold Edition at Best Buy! Too bad I probably won't get it till Wednesday though...

idonteven

i wish you could go into a lot of buildings like in pve in the dark zone but that would be bad for balance :( kinda like that once place where you need to go search for those virus scanners

SomTervo

Finish arbitrary tutorial shit midnight, play in morning

This worked great for me with GTA V.

- get back home with game at 2am
- play tutorial/first half hour
- mind blown
- fall asleep satisfied and happy (and tired)
- wake up, resume playing once the open world's opened up
- mind continued to be blown

it was perfect

Prague could be INSANELY awesome... Its already a city with a bit of "grimm's fairy tale" thing going on" (Saint Vitus, Old Town...Our Lady of Tyn) . . . mix in some weird dark old Europe fairy tale with a modern day post-apocalypse tail and you have something that could be awesome.

This is what i was thinking... super cool architecture and city layout (from the little i've seen /know) and awesome history and it would just ooze creepy, isolation and impending doom if it was all deserted and left with months worth of military vehicles and quarantine stuffs.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
i wish you could go into a lot of buildings like in pve in the dark zone but that would be bad for balance :( kinda like that once place where you need to go search for those virus scanners
If you loot that place with 4 characters, that's like an almost immediate 20 clothing items. Cosmetics are shared across characters. There are a couple places like that too (but that is the best one from the beta) especially because it doesn't require lockpicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom