• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DualShock 3 has pressure sensitive buttons/dpad?

Newline

My windows install recently crapped out so wiped my drive and installed Ubuntu. To cut a long story short, I set up my DualShock 3 controller and used the jstest-gtk app to check it was connected. To my suprise it had a whole load of axis bars showing, rather than buttons as I would have expected.

I can't remember a single example of a PS3 game that ulitizes the pressure sensitive face buttons, do you guys know of any? Seems like that feature has alot of potential.

artsi

DS2 had them too, MGS2 used them (release the aim/fire button gently and you put down your weapon).

I could have sworn that it didnt, which made the MGS2 port use dpad down to release the trigger since you couldn't slowly let off the button

maybe that was only in the vita version though?

Baleoce

Yes they're analogue buttons. Gran Turismo games of that gen utilized it, if I recall correctly. I believe they scrapped it for the DS4, because a) not enough developers used it, and b) it added extra latency to the controller.

qatak

Neo Member
I think I remember either Gran Turismo 5 or 6 using them for pressure sensitive throttle - no other examples come to mind, although I'd bet there were more.

Melter

yes, all the buttons on the dualshock 3 are analog (except maybe l3/r3). MGS4 use the dpad pressure sensitivity to adjust the camera zoom during cut scenes, for example.

Newline

yes, all the buttons on the dualshock 3 are analog (except maybe l3/r3). MGS4 use the dpad pressure sensitivity to adjust the camera zoom during cut scenes, for example.
Funny I don't remember that, but it sounds like a pretty good use of it actually. From the sounds of it in this thread, Kojima made the most out of the ps hardware.

That sounds like a pretty good use of it actually. From the sounds of it in this thread, Kojima made the most out of the ps hardware.

When playing MGS3 (and I think 2) if you let go of the fire button normally you would shoot but if you slowly let it go you would holster your weapon again. Best use of it IMO

MegaPanda

ZoE2 used them for the homing missile weapon. Light press = less misses but less gauge usage. Hard press was the opposite

inner-G

Banned
They're great if you like to play some racing games with a controller but hate using the triggers for throttle

Newline

When playing MGS3 (and I think 2) if you let go of the fire button normally you would shoot but if you slowly let it go you would holster your weapon again. Best use of it IMO
Now that seems like a great addition, i've only played these two on the Vita and aiming was probably my number one gripe. I think i'm gunna have to ebay a ps3 version of this collection.

virtualS

They probably scrapped analogue input when too many people couldn't figure out that they had to press the button harder to go faster in Gran Turismo.

So much wasted potential. I suppose that's the best way to describe the PS3 in general though.

Muffdraul

I thought the dual shock 2 had them but sixaxis and ds3 did not

Dualshock 2 was the first to have them, the DS3 did too. The Bouncer was the first game to really go with it. Pulling off specific attacks and combos required soft and hard button presses. It was pretty cool once you got used to it.

My windows install recently crapped out so wiped my drive and installed Ubuntu. To cut a long story short, I set up my DualShock 3 controller and used the jstest-gtk app to check it was connected. To my suprise it had a whole load of axis bars showing, rather than buttons as I would have expected.

I can't remember a single example of a PS3 game that ulitizes the pressure sensitive face buttons, do you guys know of any? Seems like that feature has alot of potential.

Madden did for passing...or maybe that was just PS2. I think GT did as well for throttle.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the N64 controller having it first.

Face buttons, and d-pad on PS2 controller (DualShock 2) were analogue / pressure sensitive.

NegCon for PS1 had analogue buttons as well as the twist. Predates N64 by a couple of years.

I despise pressure sensitive face buttons. They give me that "threading a needle" feeling where I get incredibly anxious and my spine shivers because I am constantly trying to perform an analog function on a button only a few millimeters thick.

It makes me skin crawl and I hate it.

Rich!

Yep they are pressure sensitive

Proven by MGS3 (press softly to raise your gun, press fully to shoot, slowly remove pressure to lower it)

Skux

The only thing I ever remember using this for is to control the zoom speed of binoculars in MGS2. It's no surprise they ditched it for the DS4.

whitehawk

Banned
The PS2 OS, or at least some demo discs used them for menus. The PS3 never did oddly enough. Would have been handy.

KevinCow

Banned
There has never been a single good use for analog face buttons. The fact that people point to the shitty aiming system in MGS2 and 3 as a good example amazes me. It just screams of Kojima desperately trying to make use of the controller's gimmick despite the fact that there were far better ways to aim and fire your gun without shitty analog buttons. It was basically waggle before waggle.

I'm also reminded of Jak 2, where your speed was based on how hard you pressed the accelerate button, and it did nothing but make my thumb tired.

Justinh

I knew the DS2 had them, from what I remember. I think my old buddy once showed me sticking someone up in MGS2. I wasn't sure if they ditched them in the dual shock 3 or 4.

Original Xbox controller did as well.
I didn't know this. Did any games take advantage?

Occam

DS4 has no pressure sensitive button ? what ? Why ? How am I supposed to play the up coming Ace Combat ?

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

nikeboy94

I don't know if there are any PS3-only titles that use em. But yeah as everyone is saying, MGS2/3 used pressure sensitive buttons for shot cancelling and GTA: SA used it for accelerating your car. I would pressume the MGS remaster on PS3 still has those pressure sensitive controls too. I guess if the older MGS titles ever came to PS4 (given konami gives a fuck), they'd have to remap those controls to the triggers.

Top Bottom