• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dutch are slowly recognizing that their tradition of Zwarte Piet is racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

latest

off_top_dwight-xmas_01.jpg

FStop7

Banned
At least we never lynched Zwarte Pieten, firebombed their living spaces, assassinated their civil rights leaders, outright killed them on the street for jaywalking or systematically jail them for minor offenses.

The legacy of Dutch colonialism disagrees with you.

At least we never lynched Zwarte Pieten, firebombed their living spaces, assassinated their civil rights leaders, outright killed them on the street for jaywalking or systematically jail them for minor offenses.

I know you're banned but god DAMN. This is some next level fallacy right here.

roytheone

No shit hahaha. I couldn't even finish reading that post. Good lord pick up a fucking history book.

I think that part of our history is often ignored which is a bad thing imo. We rightfully celebrate things like the VOC and inventing stocks, but we shouldn't ignore the bad things in our history.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I think that part of our history is often ignored which is a bad thing imo. We rightfully celebrate things like the VOC and inventing stocks, but we shouldn't ignore the bad things in our history.
Ah it's cool, I'm Canadian. We spend all day chastising Americans for being horrible racists while our Native communities don't even have clean drinking water. Hypocrisy is a bitch.

Condom

Eh the article may be a bit too optimistic but we'll see (or at least, the title. The rest is just recent developments)

The discussion can be on the level of the Black Lives Matter discussion in the US, some people really feel as if you attacked their soul by calling Zwarte Piet racist and saying it has to change. It is seen by the opponents (of the change) as if the 'foreigners' are taking over the country and destroying Dutch culture.

woopWOOP

That was two years ago iirc. Last year they went back to blackface, to the disappointment of many..well dozens of us :/.. and apparently luckily also the head Piet.
Wait, whaaaat? I figured it was a done thing. Did they get too many complaints and changed it back? Man that's really disappointing...

Eh the article may be a bit too optimistic but we'll see (or at least, the title. The rest is just recent developments)

The discussion can be on the level of the Black Lives Matter discussion in the US, some people really feel as if you attacked their soul by calling Zwarte Piet racist and saying it has to change. It is seen by the opponents (of the change) as if the 'foreigners' are taking over the country and destroying Dutch culture.

Yup, views held by either racists, xenophobes, idiots or all of the above.

In my opinion they aren't slowly realising its racist. They knew it was racist all along. They just slowly come to terms with the fact that some of their traditions are shit. Its always hard to accept you made a mistake.

Its the same with all the other cases of black facing in europe. Only very few adults can actually say they don't know its racist. They at least have to deliberately ignore a few voices telling them and deliberate ignorance is just as bad as knowlingly doing something wrong in my opinion.

There are only very few cases where the people actually didn't know, like this german soccer team that wanted to make a statement against racism, like this:
oiekp2nmty3zeau8eg2y.jpg

The had a black teammate(middle row, 3rd from the right) who was repeatedly insulted racially by other teams and also on other occasions so he wanted to quit playing soccer. So his team painted their faces black to show solidarity and as a result he didn't quit. So yay for them but hopefully someone told them.

Rogan

Banned
Dutch here.

Grew up with Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet. Now I'm older I can see its racist.

The kids dont care about the color. They want them free gifts and candy, so it should be no problem changing.

HelloMeow

It's obviously racist with how they Zwarte Piet often (some exceptions though). But growing up as a kid I always just thought he was black from the soot of the chimney rather then being racially black. I never even made the connection until a few years ago when the controversy about it started and decided to look into it since it's not really a holiday I celebrate anymore (which as a kid was just an excuse for presents >.>)

Same here.

If Zwarte Piet is black from going through chimneys all the time, maybe he should look like a guy who goes through chimneys all the time.

It's obviously racist with how they Zwarte Piet often (some exceptions though). But growing up as a kid I always just thought he was black from the soot of the chimney rather then being racially black. I never even made the connection until a few years ago when the controversy about it started and decided to look into it since it's not really a holiday I celebrate anymore (which as a kid was just an excuse for presents >.>)

I always thought the chimney story was made-up later to make it sound less racist, I remember it being popularized by the kids TV-show 'Dag Sinterklaas' but that's a Belgian show, not sure if that also made that 'theory' popular in the Netherlands.

But anyway as a Belgian, who also celebrate this holiday, I really want to see it changed. Kids aren't gonna care, it's the grumpy old people wanting to stick to their tradition.

Condom

To be fair I think for many native Dutch people (lower classes to be specific) it may seem like everybody is out to get them. The economic policies might not benefit them personally and they have to deal with their neighborhoods becoming non-white, deal with foreign cultures and may see criminal activity coming from an economic disadvantaged immigrant population. Add to that the anger about the EU, Islam etc.

It may seem like now, after giving up their country to the EU and the immigrants, they even have to change their own traditions to fit the outsiders. The only thing they have left.

Like most things I think we'll end up having a decent compromise in the end, our population density is too high for us to not make things work.

la_briola

In my opinion they aren't slowly realising its racist. They knew it was racist all along. They just slowly come to terms with the fact that some of their traditions are shit. Its always hard to accept you made a mistake.

Its the same with all the other cases of black facing in europe. Only very few adults can actually say they don't know its racist. They at least have to deliberately ignore a few voices telling them and deliberate ignorance is just as bad as knowlingly doing something wrong in my opinion.

There are only very few cases where the people actually didn't know, like this german soccer team that wanted to make a statement against racism, like this:
oiekp2nmty3zeau8eg2y.jpg

The had a black teammate(middle row, 3rd from the right) who was repeatedly insulted racially by other teams and also on other occasions so he wanted to quit playing soccer. So his team painted their faces black to show solidarity and as a result he didn't quit. So yay for them but hopefully someone told them.

dat photoshop
I hope?!

barik

About fucking time too. The people I know who are fine with Zwarte Piet (mostly older people) always use the "it's a tradition!" line as the main excuse, forgetting that something being a tradition says nothing about it being good or bad. There's good traditions and there's bad traditions, and this is just a bad one that's taking too long to get rid of. The Dutch are stubborn like that, I guess.

Anarky

Banned
So anyone actually gonna explain why this dude has red lips and curly hair because I'm pretty sure you don't get that shit from a chimney.

FafaFooey

I don't want to be sensitive about this but I feel attacked by this statement. We're not some glob of people all with the exact same opinions and views. A professional outlet should know better.

A lot of people are against racism here and many of them are against the stereotypes portrayed in the character of Black Pete, but you should really not marginalize a country of almost 17 million people as "the Dutch".

Wow, joke post right?

Dryk

I always thought the chimney story was made-up later to make it sound less racist, I remember it being popularized by the kids TV-show 'Dag Sinterklaas' but that's a Belgian show, not sure if that also made that 'theory' popular in the Netherlands.
The most annoying thing about chimmey soot story as an ad-hoc justification is that they haven't even put in the bare minimum effort requires to make it seem legitimate.

AxelFoley

I am Dutch and i am black. And i never thought Zwarte Piet was a racist thing. Still dont.
Alot of my black friends dont either. It all started when suddenly a small group found it racist and went very vocal about 2 years ago. When i was young i never had the feeling they were a "lblack help" Zwarte Piet was cool, they were doing great stunts and all i knew was that they were black because they went through the chimney to deliver the presents. Me and my friends black and white dressed up like them and went door to door. I even put make up on to look like that i went through the chimney. Because that is what the make up is for not make up to look like a black person.

SMH at this post.

Some folks don't know they're free.

AxelFoley

Forgetting about what the descendants of Dutch colonials did in South Africa?

I don't get it.

If he's supposed to be like that because he came through a chimney why not make him sooty makeup instead of obvious blackface caricature makeup.

JDB

Banned
Never really got why people got so defensive every time it got brought up. Who gives if Piet is orange, purple or pink? Are you so attached to him being blackfaced?

norinrad

Ah so these are the students coming out of the UvA and VU these days I see?

Fusebox

Banned
Never really got why people got so defensive every time it got brought up. Who gives if Piet is orange, purple or pink? Are you so attached to him being blackfaced?

I'm more concerned by the lack of nuance in these threads. Some kid in Holland dressing up as Piet for tradition doesn't deserve to be given the same 'racist' label we give to actual KKK members who believe in white supremacy.

Racially insensitive, sure, but even that's the fault of the parent not the kid.

le.phat

I am Dutch and i am black. And i never thought Zwarte Piet was a racist thing. Still dont.
Alot of my black friends dont either. It all started when suddenly a small group found it racist and went very vocal about 2 years ago. When i was young i never had the feeling they were a "lblack help" Zwarte Piet was cool, they were doing great stunts and all i knew was that they were black because they went through the chimney to deliver the presents. Me and my friends black and white dressed up like them and went door to door. I even put make up on to look like that i went through the chimney. Because that is what the make up is for not make up to look like a black person.

I'm dutch and black and find this shit racist as all hell. It was never offensive to me as a kid, and acknowledge that the characterisation of black pete has grown into something positive over the years. But you can't ignore the symbolism and you can't forget the history. It might not be offensive to you, but it can be hurtful as all hell to people who didn't grow up on the tradition.

I'm more concerned by the lack of nuance in these threads. Some kid in Holland dressing up as Piet for tradition doesn't deserve to be given the same 'racist' label we give to actual KKK members who believe in white supremacy.

Racially insensitive, sure, but even that's the fault of the parent not the kid.
Who's going about this thread wanting to place the blame on the kids? You're making up a strawman. Also, this tradition could be changed, even just the skin colour, and kids wouldn't care. It's just the adults so stubborn about keeping the blackface.

le.phat

I don't get it.

If he's supposed to be like that because he came through a chimney why not make him sooty makeup instead of obvious blackface caricature makeup.

The chimney narration is part of some songs we used to sing as kids during Sinterklaas. Alot of the more insensitve lines have been changed, but some still give away the origin of pete. 'Black pete, he's black like soot' whoops!

Anyway, chimney's also give you afro hair, big res lis and moorish slave attire, didn't you know that?

Fusebox

Banned
Who's going about this thread wanting to place the blame on the kids? You're making up a strawman. Also, this tradition could be changed, even just the skin colour, and kids wouldn't care. It's just the adults so stubborn about keeping the blackface.

Who said the word blame? Talk about your straw man, sheesh.

I specifically mentioned the lack of nuance because the majority of posters aren't going to any lengths to clarify their thoughts about the children participating other than to say it's racist.

I don't get it.

That's what the "new" Zwarte Piet looks like in most cases. There's still many who cling to the old look, though. It's a process that's going to take years, if not decades.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Well you see because

post-60462-President-Dave-Chappelle-knock-nBve.gif

gif game on point :D

I always love how the chic in the foreground takes like half a second to think about it and just fucking BOUNCES like the Flash LoL :D

And yes - it's hilarious that it took until 2015/2016 for them to look at this "tradition" and be like... "Oh.... OOooooOoHhHhhhhh... shit."

Who said the word blame? Talk about your straw man, sheesh.

I specifically mentioned the lack of nuance because the majority of posters aren't going to any lengths to clarify their thoughts about the children participating other than to say it's racist.
By blame, I mean you're asserting that people here want to label the kids as racist and I'm not seeing it. Feel free to enlighten me. The practice itself is racist though, without a doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom