• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dyatlov Pass Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Fray

I don't know when that photo was taken. I'm going by what the guest, who has spent years researching this topic on and off site, talked about in the interview. Again, don't take my word for it. Listen to the link I provided with the actual researcher and make your conclusions from there.

It was taken on the day that the search party found their camp. I understand the guy did a lot of research, but I imagine the language surrounding the state of the tent refers to the fact that all of their belongings were inside and probably in a way that showed they didn't try to pack them or take them before they fled.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I pulled a direct quote from the man who found the camp. His description matches the images we have.
Well, I'm simply going by what this researcher said. Whether he's trying to sell a book and is a fraud or how accurate he is can be open to debate. Assuming this guy is telling the truth, he's not sitting on a messageboard debating what really happened. He even makes clear that despite his research, he simply comes up what he feels like is his best theory on it. He's still done a heck of a lot more than me or anyone posting here when it comes to this case. All I would recommend is just listening to the interview and then draw your conclusions after that instead of me having to "defend" some guy I've just listened to for the first time last night.

Well, I'm simply going by what this researcher said. Whether he's trying to sell a book and is a fraud or how accurate he is can be open to debate. Assuming this guy is telling the truth, he's not sitting on a messageboard debating what really happened. He even makes clear that despite his research, he simply comes up what he feels like is his best theory on it. He's still done a heck of a lot more than me or anyone posting here when it comes to this case. All I would recommend is just listening to the interview and then draw your conclusions after that instead of having "defend" some guy I've just listened to for the first time last night.

Dude, he might have done more research of it then I have, but there are others that have done more than he has. And who aren't trying to sell a book. And who aren't proposing anything out of the ordinary, and therefore, the burden of proof is on the guy proposing the crazy theory who is selling a book. Particularly a guy who isn't an expert in hypothermia, avalanches, or mountain climbing, but instead directing films.

And quit calling him a researcher, call him a director, maybe an author, but he isn't a professional in scientific research.

Darkmakaimura

I don't know why you would when there are direct witness accounts contradicting him.
Listen to the interview.

Dude, he might have done more research of it then I have, but there are other that have done more than he has. And who aren't trying to sell a book. And who aren't proposing anything out of the ordinary, and therefore, the burden of proof is on the guy proposing the crazy theory who is selling a book. Particularly a guy who isn't an expert in hypothermia, avalanches, or mountain climbing, but instead directing films.
He worked with NOAA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration regarding this case.

Maybe he is crazy. Maybe he is a fraud. Instead of criticizing someone you haven't even listened to yet, give it a check out. That's all I could ask. At least then, make your conclusions from there. I would love to hear what people think about it after hearing the actual interview.

Cyan

Banned
Listen to the interview.

Or you could answer the question. An argument from expertise is fine, but not when there's good reason to call that supposed expertise into question. Wanting to sell a book is a good reason, making claims that directly contradict reality is another. (Being on Coast to Coast AM is probably another one, but we don't actually need to invoke that one.)

~Kinggi~

Banned
Saw the movie about this a month or so ago. Was a recent film, Renny Harlin directed it. Was decent aside from some terrible VFX

So someone shilling a book about what "really happened" on Coast to Coast AM wants us to believe something nefarious occurred rather than hypothermia + avalanche = shitty situation all around?

Darkmakaimura

Or you could answer the question. An argument from expertise is fine, but not when there's good reason to call that supposed expertise into question. Wanting to sell a book is a good reason, making claims that directly contradict reality is another. (Being on Coast to Coast AM is probably another one, but we don't actually need to invoke that one.)
If you're referring to the contradicting views, I answered that question to the best of my knowledge. Some of that previous research was apparently proven false. I use the word 'apparently'.

As for being on C2CAM, this guy is one of the more level headed people I've listened to. He mentions there's no supernatural force behind the incident and that it could be explained with modern science.

All I can say about this in the end is that it's an interesting case. I'm actually surprised so many here even know about it. I would love to know what he thinks it was since it was never revealed fully on air.

So someone shilling a book about what "really happened" on Coast to Coast AM wants us to believe something nefarious occurred rather than hypothermia + avalanche = shitty situation all around?
Nothing nefarious. Guest mentions that he believes it was a natural phenomenon explainable by modern science and if memory serves right, said it was weather related.

Metzhara

Experience doesn't mean much when the brain is doing something essentially via autopilot.

This guy is pretty smart. See what happens when they subject him to hypoxia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNX6mr753w

Ok, that was an outstanding video. Amazing. The hubris of humanity coupled with our fragility. Crazy.
"I thought I had you, I thought I got all the answers right."
I'm shocked he didn't tear up at the end there, realizing how close he was to death. -Adam

I thought this was going to be a thread about the movie. I think that the avalanche theory is probably correct, but it still freaks me out. Definitely would not visit that place.

Opiate

Ok, that was an outstanding video. Amazing. The hubris of humanity coupled with our fragility. Crazy.
"I thought I had you, I thought I got all the answers right."
I'm shocked he didn't tear up at the end there, realizing how close he was to death. -Adam

I strongly agree, it is a fantastic video. It shows how easily the human brain is fooled, and most importantly, does so in a way that's not easy to dismiss as "well that guy is just dumb."

Whenever I see people make dumb mistakes, or believe silly, preposterous things, or reach absurd conclusions en masse, I do not think "goodness, those people are stupid," the implication of which is that unlike them, I am not so easily fooled because I am not that stupid. Instead, I think "look how easily even intelligent human brains can be distorted, mislead, or manipulated." Unlike the former notion, this latter one does not exclude me as some smarter being less prone to error or misjudgement.

Desty

Banned
I remember reading that Nikola Tesla was involved in the Dyatlov pass incident. He was working on wireless power when he was in Colorado and sent some kind of telegraph the day of the incident.

I was obsessed with this when I was younger and firmly believed that something paranormal had caused it. Nowadays I'm pretty much convinced it was just a horrible and unfortunate accident.

Vyer

Uh - as someone who used to listen to Coast to Coast pretty regularly for years, it's really not advisable to take their guests or topics as legitimate researchers or research.

It can be a very entertaining listen though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom