• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: Putin on Trump: 'Nobody believed he would win except for us'

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much pathetic bullshit in this thread. I'm sure if you asked voters who switched from Obama to Trump, they would say that it was Podesta and DNC emails that turned them off from Hillary 🙄. She lost because she's Hillary Clinton. Get over it, Hillary sycophants, or just keep blaming Russia and the FBI. See how that works for ya next time.

zethren

Banned
So much pathetic bullshit in this thread. I'm sure if you asked voters who switched from Obama to Trump, they would say that it was Podesta and DNC emails that turned them off from Hillary 🙄. She lost because she's Hillary Clinton. Get over it, Hillary sycophants, or just keep blaming Russia and the FBI. See how that works for ya next time.

There are a number of reasons why Hillary Clinton lost, but handwaving away the issues with Russia and the FBI is idiotic.

So much pathetic bullshit in this thread. I'm sure if you asked voters who switched from Obama to Trump, they would say that it was Podesta and DNC emails that turned them off from Hillary ��. She lost because she's Hillary Clinton. Get over it, Hillary sycophants, or just keep blaming Russia and the FBI. See how that works for ya next time.

Hillary sycophants? Who is still sycophantic towards her? I'm pretty sure very few expect her to have a future in electoral politics going forward, and sycophants usually want something for their loyalty.

Not everyone who questions events surrounding this election are somehow lifelong Hillary Clinton diehards who have pledged themselves to defending her from here to eternity. I know some want to handwave away multifaceted reasons for the Democrats' losses this year, being that some blame is on Hillary herself, some on her campaign at-large, and some owing to external factors like, yes, Russia and the FBI, among others like voter suppression and disinformation campaigns. Everyone wants their own singular pet narrative, but sticking to one alone won't sufficiently explain this election.

rambis

Banned
She lost* despite millions more people voting for her. I think most people blame a broken system.

Dalibor68

Banned
She lost* despite millions more people voting for her. I think most people blame a broken system.

What's the * for?

Of course you can and probably should criticize the voting system but saying "she lost because of the system" is stupid as everybody knew what the system was from the beginning and thus had equal opportunities.

You must not know Gaf that well. You are acting strangely oblivious to what's occurring and what has occurred. Be careful, Gaf can be relentless.

How do you mean?

I'm not acting, just asking questions.
Trying to have a dialogue.

Sadly, most answers I get are the kind of "oh boy" and reaction gifs. Gifs are funny, but...

Not everyone follows every small development of the US elections (especially as a French person not living in the US), so, if I can get some normal answers, I'm more than happy. And thanks to those who actually went through the trouble of guiding me towards an answer to my original question.

For instance, thanks to the one who posted the picture of the tweet by Wikileaks linking to RT.

rambis

Banned
What's the * for?

Of course you can and probably should criticize the voting system but saying "she lost because of the system" is stupid as everybody knew what the system was from the beginning and thus had equal opportunities.
There's an asterisk because she lost the presidency of the united states despite most people in the united states voting for her. Its worth mention.

KingBroly

Banned
There's an asterisk because she lost the presidency of the united states despite most people in the united states voting for her. Its worth mention.

*eye roll

Find for me where it says the popular vote means anything in the US Constitution

I'll wait

rambis

Banned
Roll your eyes til they pop out your head. The US employs a broken national election system. Trump even admitted as much.

Eh, pretty sure a lot of people knew he at least had a good chance at winning. Not a 100% chance, but certainly one worth betting on. Only the most amazingly blind or stubbornly stupid of people said he had no chance of winning.

Not gonna lie though, I am pretty sure the crow population took a nose dive after the election with how much had to be eaten.

Briarios

Serious question: If Trump is a Russian puppet why all the talk of our countries getting in
an arms race again? Of all the talk about resetting relations with Russia it seems like the only thing getting reset is the Cold War.

It bolsters Putin's power ... it's all he has as a leader. Russia has arms and has oil -- that's it. The power of oil is weakening and will continue to ... take a look at what China is doing with solar & the associated costs. Very soon, solar power will be cheaper than oil.

Creating a new arms race keeps them relevant, keeps money flowing, and helps him retain power. It's always been his goal, and he's been pissed Obama wouldn't fall into his trap ... because you'd have to be really stupid to fall for something so obvious.

Don't underestimate Putin; I'm against everything he stands for, but the guy is brilliant ...

KingBroly

Banned
Roll your eyes til they pop out your head. The US employs a broken national election system. Trump even admitted as much.

Trump would rather win the election the easy way than the hard way. The hard way is a much better, much more thorough system.

And it's clear you can't respond to my earlier question because you know the popular vote is not in there and means jack shit.

*eye roll

Find for me where it says the popular vote means anything in the US Constitution

I'll wait

People bring up the popular vote to remind others that Trump's victory was far less decisive than many prior presidential elections. Nobody's arguing it's not constitutionally validated. But bringing it up exists to bolster Trump's opposition, as it should.

Trump and his surrogates are currently claiming a clear mandate. They're describing their win as a "landslide". Even if we only count the electoral votes to determine the winner, he still nonetheless didn't have complete win. A truly decisive win would include both popular and electoral votes. Most presidents manage to win both. And if this fact eats away at anyone the most, it's Donald Trump himself.

Besides, it's not like he lost the popular votes by just a small handful.

rambis

Banned
Trump would rather win the election the easy way than the hard way. The hard way is a much better, much more thorough system.

And it's clear you can't respond to my earlier question because you know the popular vote is not in there and means jack shit.
I mean dude im sure most posters here have passed 4th grade. Im not sure what you think you're pointing out.

How do you mean?

I'm not acting, just asking questions.
Trying to have a dialogue.

Sadly, most answers I get are the kind of "oh boy" and reaction gifs. Gifs are funny, but...

Not everyone follows every small development of the US elections (especially as a French person not living in the US), so, if I can get some normal answers, I'm more than happy. And thanks to those who actually went through the trouble of guiding me towards an answer to my original question.

For instance, thanks to the one who posted the picture of the tweet by Wikileaks linking to RT.

You seriously do not know about the Russia hacks that have been verified by both the CIA and the FBI?

It bolsters Putin's power ... it's all he has as a leader. Russia has arms and has oil -- that's it. The power of oil is weakening and will continue to ... take a look at what China is doing with solar & the associated costs. Very soon, solar power will be cheaper than oil.

Creating a new arms race keeps them relevant, keeps money flowing, and helps him retain power. It's always been his goal, and he's been pissed Obama wouldn't fall into his trap ... because you'd have to be really stupid to fall for something so obvious.

Don't underestimate Putin; I'm against everything he stands for, but the guy is brilliant ...

Solar isn't going to get cheaper than oil anytime soon.
And if anything, Russia's army modernization has been aimed at having world's best nuclear arsenal for detterant and slick, highly agile armies for regional conflicts. Russia is spending nowhere near the amount USSR used to spend or the USA is currently spending, both in absolute or relative terms. And they still get a huge economic boost from weapon exports.

Briarios

Solar isn't going to get cheaper than oil anytime soon.
And if anything, Russia's army modernization has been aimed at having world's best nuclear arsenal for detterant and slick, highly agile armies for regional conflicts. Russia is spending nowhere near the amount USSR used to spend or the USA is currently spending, both in absolute or relative terms. And they still get a huge economic boost from weapon exports.

That is incorrect. The fall in prices of oil has been precipitous because demand had lowered, which lessens the power of oil because you have to pump more to make the same. It's the reasons the Saudis are quickly trying to diversify. China is pushing this massively because they don't want to be beholden to other nations oil supplies.

Remember, it's not just solar being cheaper than oil, it's solar and wind pushing down oil prices to where it strips the overwhelming power of the industry.

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Oil-Prices/EVs-Solar-Could-Push-Oil-Down-To-10-By-2025.html

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-china-is-dominating-the-solar-industry/

Edit: oh, on the weapons topic: it'd not about defense spending, it's about weapons exports. A cold war allows them to sell more weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom