• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind |OT| Why walk when you can ride?

Redshirt

Banned
What's the best way to get into this? Never played. Should I go console or PC? Any trials?

PC is the "best" way. :p

You can even get a console experience with controller support, but that probably won't cut it end-game (trials). Plus there's add-ons!

As for trials, takes a bit to get established with a guild, but worth it when you do.

ESO is one of the best, most innovative MMOs on the market in that regard IMHO.

Welp, since Squeenix cant get their support together (MFA app lost my info and waited on hold for one hour - support chat is disabled for launch) I'm jumping back into this for Morrowind.

But seriously, SQEX needs to fix their account shit. It's the most arcane system I've seen since 2000.

Welp, since Squeenix cant get their support together (MFA app lost my info and waited on hold for one hour - support chat is disabled for launch) I'm jumping back into this for Morrowind.

But seriously, SQEX needs to fix their account shit. It's the most arcane system I've seen since 2000.

As an aside, that happened to me when HW launched. Lost my removal key and it was HELL to get rid of that garbage. Blizzard has a WAY easier system to removing tokens.

Maybesew

I probably got some to spare, how much you need?

As to the guild, I am currently in 5 and they're pretty cool, but I'll dump one for GAF

Looks like I need 34 ingots

Edit: it looks like the guild has enough members for the bank but my rank isn't high enough to deposit

dubq

Looks like I need 34 ingots

Edit: it looks like the guild has enough members for the bank but my rank isn't high enough to deposit

Hm, that's weird! Everyone should be able to deposit. I'll check the permissions when I'm home this evening.

Been playing mostly solo on the XB1 and this is an extremely solo friendly game and well worth the price of admission and the monthly fee is worth it for the crafting bag space

nillapuddin

My group and i just bought this as our (we have nothing to play and are getting miserable) stop gap til Destiny 2, we (6 of us) all love ES but are all new to ESO.

How important/relevant is group play? Will the 6 of us need each other to play and progress or can we just sort of play as we go regardless of whos there.

There doesn't seem to be any mission sharing or loot sharing mechanic, so we all just need to individually acquire missions, then just make sure we do them together, correct?

I browsed a beginners guide or two (i didn't retain any of it) but I'm more interested in how it works as a whole rather than the best ways to level up.

Also since we only have 2 1/2 months for this to be our main, will we even scratch the surface of really needing a full team?

What if one person levels up faster than everyone else, do quests scale? That kinda stuff, I'd appreciate some help understanding.

yansolo

I know it probably doesnt make as many waves as wow or ff xiv but i gotta say imo this is prob the best mmo on the market atm. Im only like a level 10-11 but it actually feels like im playing a game, not just falling asleep standing still pressing 1-2-3-4 like im dialing a phone.

game just feels so fun and chill and i feel like everything i do sorta matters.

Redshirt

Banned
Been playing mostly solo on the XB1 and this is an extremely solo friendly game and well worth the price of admission and the monthly fee is worth it for the crafting bag space

Crafting bag is great. Could never go back to all that micromanaging of mules after using it.

Redshirt

Banned
My group and i just bought this as our (we have nothing to play and are getting miserable) stop gap til Destiny 2, we (6 of us) all love ES but are all new to ESO.

How important/relevant is group play? Will the 6 of us need each other to play and progress or can we just sort of play as we go regardless of whos there.

There doesn't seem to be any mission sharing or loot sharing mechanic, so we all just need to individually acquire missions, then just make sure we do them together, correct?

I browsed a beginners guide or two (i didn't retain any of it) but I'm more interested in how it works as a whole rather than the best ways to level up.

Also since we only have 2 1/2 months for this to be our main, will we even scratch the surface of really needing a full team?

What if one person levels up faster than everyone else, do quests scale? That kinda stuff, I'd appreciate some help understanding.

Game is at it's best with a group of friends, but you can play most of the game alone.

There is quest sharing, but all players have to track their own requirements (for the most part), and it's easy to not be in sync if you're all playing at different times.

You can always focus on group-oriented stuff when you're together, and it'll be nice to be able to dungeons at your own pace w/o more experience players being a PITA.

Since One Tamriel, everything scales to cp160, so it doesn't matter if you're level 1 and your buddy is leve 50/cp160.

One other important note on this: A lot of players like to have ONE character dedicated to crafting armour and weapons, so Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodwork all on one character.

It also saves a lot of gold to do this route. Especially things like Enchanting, Provisioning, and Alchemy.

To max out research to 9 traits for Clothing(Light, Medium), BlackSmithing (Heavy Armor, Weapons), Woodworking (Staves,Shield,Bow) took me on my first character roughly 540days, or roughly a year and a half.

Once it's done though, build diversity is at the tips of your finger tips. You're your own boss able to forge anything you want to your hearts desire.

dubq

Oh, I should also note that you can open up your player housing to your guildmates/friends. I'm going to open up my Earthtear Cavern. I have the merchant and banker, plus crafting stations for clothing, woodworking, blacksmithing, provisioning and enchanting. A few more master writs and I'll be able add in the stations for alchemy and dying, and some target dummies as well!

Redshirt

Banned
For anyone new to ESO dungeons, Emphatic Static's dungeon guides are a great help:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9XXD5bjzS9j4YXmQIJtlvVDX3dzgqKE6

To max out research to 9 traits for Clothing(Light, Medium), BlackSmithing (Heavy Armor, Weapons), Woodworking (Staves,Shield,Bow) took me on my first character roughly 540days, or roughly a year and a half.

Yeah. First character to 9 traits in everything is a pain. Lot easier now that they added research scrolls, which burn a whole day from three items at a time.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I should also note that you can open up your player housing to your guildmates/friends. I'm going to open up my Earthtear Cavern. I have the merchant and banker, plus crafting stations for clothing, woodworking, blacksmithing, provisioning and enchanting. A few more master writs and I'll be able add in the stations for alchemy and dying, and some target dummies as well!

What did you name the PS4 guild? Just NeoGaf?

Maybesew

Awesome. Now I need to figure out how to enter other people's housing. I jsut have the little penthouse apartment in Vivec

dubq

Awesome. Now I need to figure out how to enter other people's housing. I jsut have the little penthouse apartment in Vivec

I think you have to go to that person's entry on your friends list or guild roster and then select something like "visit primary residence". I'll enable mine this evening and post here once it's open. :)

nillapuddin

Game is at it's best with a group of friends, but you can play most of the game alone.

There is quest sharing, but all players have to track their own requirements (for the most part), and it's easy to not be in sync if you're all playing at different times.

You can always focus on group-oriented stuff when you're together, and it'll be nice to be able to dungeons at your own pace w/o more experience players being a PITA.

Since One Tamriel, everything scales to cp160, so it doesn't matter if you're level 1 and your buddy is leve 50/cp160.

Cool thanks for the tips, I relayed that information.

What should we do about a guild? Since we have only played for one night nobody is level 10 yet but i assume the earlier we get into one the better.

(We're on Xbox fwiw)

Redshirt

Banned
Maybe try the Xbox GAF guild? Also, the Lone Wolf Help guild I mentioned earlier in the thread is on Xbox and a good option for new players.

For anyone new to ESO dungeons, Emphatic Static's dungeon guides are a great help:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9XXD5bjzS9j4YXmQIJtlvVDX3dzgqKE6

Yeah. First character to 9 traits in everything is a pain. Lot easier now that they added research scrolls, which burn a whole day from three items at a time.

I heard about these. I never got a chance to use that scroll, since I finished my 9th trait research back in Mid-2015. So good to know what it does!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Cool thanks for the tips, I relayed that information.

What should we do about a guild? Since we have only played for one night nobody is level 10 yet but i assume the earlier we get into one the better.

(We're on Xbox fwiw)

I haven't made the Xbox guild yet, but you are welcome to.

dubq

Love the mounts but no way am I going to spend money on this kind of currency system, ugh. It's very likely you spend $100 and still don't get what you want.

Yeah, it definitely is a bit much. I feel like they should really refine the way a lot of things are "priced" on the crown store.

dubq

Promoted exiting guildies to member, so you should all be able to invite other gaffers now. We have 7 members.. 3 more to get the bank!

Also I opened up my Earthtear Cavern, feel free to use the crafting stations!

Nodnol

Still haven't taken the plunge on Morrowind. I've still got enough of the rest of Tamriel to tackle.

After shelving this ages ago, me and my friends have been playing recently, and have been playing pretty much every night. Really enjoying the experience far more than I did at launch.

At around CP 240 at the moment.

If any XO Gaffers want an extra body:
Nodnol88

PepperedHam

Put my info in the GAF roster for PS4 NA, I'd totally be interested in joining the NA PS4 guild. Main character's name is Knows-His-Meatballs, PSN ID is LordHoag.

Woorloog

Banned
Pondered few days about what kind of character i'd make for ESO. Always a difficulty for Elder Scrolls games for me, there are so many options! ESO is way more limited than some of the previous games, but that's a bit like comparing a small infinity to a big infinity.

Then, i starter re-reading Elder Scrolls lore. Really, the best part of that is the creation myth. I mean, the Dawn era... non-linear time! Makes sense, makes no sense, all-around awesome.
And the Morrowind (the nation, related stuff in general) and stuff relating to Chimer and Dunmer is also the best part. They share a lot with real world history and mythology, yet in a combination that creates a rather alien culture, living in an equally alien landscape.

And then the Morrowind DLC is on Steam sale. Yeah, why not. I was considering installing Morrowind and playing that, but i figure i'll wait till fall once (hopefully) Tamriel Rebuilt releases the next version of TR.
Really solves my class dilemma. After considering the Warden for a moment, it kinda offers everything i might need. At a glance, it looks like a very Nord-like class, but with some mixing and matching, it works for others.
Medium armor, bow or sword, animal companion for stamina/stealth build. Healing option, should i ever do that (not really into healing in games usually). War wizard option, by combining destruction (fire) staff and frost spells.

A Dunmer, of course. Now just to figure out a name, really the hardest part.

Pondered few days about what kind of character i'd make for ESO. Always a difficulty for Elder Scrolls games for me, there are so many options! ESO is way more limited than some of the previous games, but that's a bit like comparing a small infinity to a big infinity.

Then, i starter re-reading Elder Scrolls lore. Really, the best part of that is the creation myth. I mean, the Dawn era... non-linear time! Makes sense, makes no sense, all-around awesome.

Where are you reading the lore?

stn

What level should I be for the main quest? I'm at 11 and 4 missions away from beating the story. Thing is, as a melee warrior I've been struggling against certain enemies hard. I had to cheese the last mission by using a two-handed fire staff on the boss so that I wouldn't have to come close.

Woorloog

Banned
Where are you reading the lore?

UESP: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore and http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dawn_Era

And Imperial Library: https://www.imperial-library.info/
Cosmology is particularly interesting: https://www.imperial-library.info/content/cosmology

And Elder Scrolls books, collected in both sites.

One problem with Elder Scrolls lore is that there are no good articles or encyclopedia entries about stuff in general. No synthesis, outside the timeline really. You will need to know what you're looking for. The timeline is the best "generic" thing around, i think.
Of course, it is difficult to create objective articles about the Elder Scrolls events no shown in the games, as there are usually two accounts for everything.

Redshirt

Banned
What level should I be for the main quest? I'm at 11 and 4 missions away from beating the story. Thing is, as a melee warrior I've been struggling against certain enemies hard. I had to cheese the last mission by using a two-handed fire staff on the boss so that I wouldn't have to come close.

The way everything scales now, it doesn't really matter what level you are.

But maybe you want to wait until at least 15 so that you have your second bar. Then you can run bow, sword and board, resto staff or whatever you think will help.

I think the toughest way to learn this game is a stamina melee character. Make sure you're eating food so that you always have at least a health food buff on. Even the crusty bread or whatever you can find in delves is better than nothing.

Also, consider a switch to heavy armor if you aren't already using it. Even a medium/heavy mix with heavy at one or more of the major areas (chest, legs, head) can make a BIG difference in survivability.

Medium is certainly ideal for DPS, but you don't have to min-max for overland.

UESP: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore and http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dawn_Era

And Imperial Library: https://www.imperial-library.info/
Cosmology is particularly interesting: https://www.imperial-library.info/content/cosmology

And Elder Scrolls books, collected in both sites.

One problem with Elder Scrolls lore is that there are no good articles or encyclopedia entries about stuff in general. No synthesis, outside the timeline really. You will need to know what you're looking for. The timeline is the best "generic" thing around, i think.
Of course, it is difficult to create objective articles about the Elder Scrolls events no shown in the games, as there are usually two accounts for everything.

Awesome. I always loved reading lore and it usually makes the game even more fun to play.

Maybesew

Promoted exiting guildies to member, so you should all be able to invite other gaffers now. We have 7 members.. 3 more to get the bank!

Also I opened up my Earthtear Cavern, feel free to use the crafting stations!

I have a friend i've been playing with. isn't on GAF, but it would be one more person closer to a bank.

Maybesew

Anyone have any suggestions on where to farm Raw Spidersilk?

There's literally nothing i can find via google or youtube. even when i search for ESO i wind up getting wow results

Redshirt

Banned
Since One Tamriel, the appearance of crafting materials is level-based.

So, if you are L50/cp160 with Tailoring at rank one, then you have a 50% chance to see raw jute in a clothing node and 50% for ancestor silk.

Spidersilk requires Tailoring rank four, I think: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Clothier

If you meet that requirement, it should be pretty easy to find, anywhere. It may help to put a point or two in keen eye so that you can spot them easier.

If you can't afford the points right now, then maybe try Eastmarch. There's a lot of snow, so crafting nodes tend to stick out.

If you can afford the points, there's really no best areas anymore for farming nodes, but Khenarthi's Roost is very good as you're learning since it's a small island.

Craglorn when you're feeling adventurous or are higher level since each node pull can also give you either potent or fortified nirncrux.

sensui-tomo

so i found this game (morrowind and base game) for $ 23.03. how much are the other expansions and are there any must haves ? Since its that cheap i'd be getting it on pc and apparently from posts above, it seems that using a controller is pretty easy for it.

Maybesew

Since One Tamriel, the appearance of crafting materials is level-based.

So, if you are L50/cp160 with Tailoring at rank one, then you have a 50% chance to see raw jute in a clothing node and 50% for ancestor silk.

Spidersilk requires Tailoring rank four, I think: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Clothier

If you meet that requirement, it should be pretty easy to find, anywhere. .

Thanks for this explanation. This explains why I have t been able to find any spidersilk in the world, but I'm confused why they would have given me a writ hat requires crafting a bunch of spider silk

Taker34

Banned
so i found this game (morrowind and base game) for $ 23.03. how much are the other expansions and are there any must haves ? Since its that cheap i'd be getting it on pc and apparently from posts above, it seems that using a controller is pretty easy for it.

The other DLCs cost about 35-40 bucks together in a bundle for 5500 crowns. Whether that's necessary depends on you but I think it enhances your experience since you get to join the thieves guild and dark brotherhood. There's also Wrothgar to explore which is almost as big as Morrowind and contains an endgame single player trial which drops the most powerful weapons in game.
Plus the Imperial City which is a neat PvP area. We're talking about 200-400+ h of content, if you want to complete it all without rushing through. The package doesn't include 2 dungeons which are rather irrelevant until you reached end game. The DLC areas are also way better designed than the standard zones in my opinion, so if you're having a blast with the game after 10-20 hours then give it a go.

Redshirt

Banned
Thanks for this explanation. This explains why I have t been able to find any spidersilk in the world, but I'm confused why they would have given me a writ hat requires crafting a bunch of spider silk

Not sure. I am under the impression that writs are based on your crafting level, Tailoring in this case.

I think you can always abandon the writ and then reclaim it to have it generated at the appropriate level for you.

Top Bottom