• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Einbroch

Banned
Damn, Bethesda closed off the ESO forums so it's only available for those who play the game. I was going there previously to see what people were thinking about the game and wanted to go there now to see how they feel about the final product.

They should just make it so you can't post unless you've purchased the game.

It's pre-release. The actual launch date may prove otherwise.

I think at this point it seems the majority are the ones involved in the pre-release.

I'm gonna say the 3 day access will be the bigger test. More people preordering standard edition than imperial. Whereas the dedicated, passionate players were front and centre for digital imperial editions so they could get the mount.

They should just make it so you can't post unless you've purchased the game.

I wish that was the rule with this forum.

Negative hyperbole from the *Beta* has damaged this games reputation.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I think at this point it seems the majority are the ones involved in the pre-release.

I'm gonna say the 3 day access will be the bigger test. More people preordering standard edition than imperial. Whereas the dedicated, passionate players were front and centre for digital imperial editions so they could get the mount.

I wish that was the rule with this forum.

Negative hyperbole from the *Beta* has damaged this games reputation.

Views in here have all been positive.

Why do so many streamers play in third person? The greatest draw for me is the old-school first person MMO ala EverQuest.

This same thing pisses me off. ALL of them are in third person. Man, I the game doesn't even feel right when your playing an elder scrolls game in third person. I dont care if its an MMO or not.

Lashley

This same thing pisses me off. ALL of them are in third person. Man, I the game doesn't even feel right when your playing an elder scrolls game in third person. I dont care if its an MMO or not.

Convenience.

Simply put, FPM in an MMO is not practical.

EndersAres

Neo Member
For anyone playing did they improve the combat? In beta the melee combat was terrible. Also did they ever add the option for chat bubbles and nameplates for people that want them? I had difficulties chatting with people in my vicinity in the beta weekends. I remember someone also said there was not going to be an auction house for retail, is that true? Not really a fan of having to spam chats to trade or sell stuff. I can't see myself paying for an mmorpg that lacks well established features for the genre, especially social ones.

Lashley

I think those views have come from people who bought the game because they liked the beta. Most people didn't like the beta so didn't buy the game

I want it on PS4 but might hold off till its cheaper/mate buys it. He didnt know it had a sub so changed his mind.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I think those views have come from people who bought the game because they liked the beta. Most people didn't like the beta so didn't buy the game
This guy seemed to like the final game a bit better than he did with the beta.

Enjoying the game a lot more than I thought I would. I only did one Beta run and was a little iffy on the game. But the final game is really good. I am using a 360 controller using Pinnacle and a custom profile I have been modifying and it is working out pretty well. No major issues since this morning, but actual game time has not been too long since I have been tweaking my gamepad profile.

Visually, the game is really nice and the various changes to weather really adds to the look of the current area you are in. I was mainly playing in the rain and then the sun broke through and it looks pretty damn amazing. So far, the quests that I have played have been very good as well. Not sure if it was a glitch, but had a few of the NPC's not start out with voice, then on the next section they would have voice. Outside of that there has been no major issues.

Syf

Banned
Aside from a couple quest bugs, I'm enjoying the game much more than I did the beta. It's actually pretty good so far.

I'm waking up early to play tomorrow. :D

Can't decide what class to play... I wish the classes were more open like in Skyrim (like you could pick one skill line from Templar and one from Nightblade, etc.)

I bought the Imperial edition from Greenmangaming, but there's some rumors that the pre-order bonuses might not be available for third party sales until official launch. I wasn't really planning on doing an Imperial character right away, but I hope they have the explorer pack working on time.

Yep me too... loving this game so far. Best MMO in town imo - equal if not better than FFXIV.

Xiaoki

No launch issues so far is very impressive for an MMO.

Not really true.

Character creation zoom, horse dismounts, still a bunch of bugged quests, preorder benefits, zones crashing and weird load times.

And thats just from what Ive seen playing for a couple hours.

Better than most launches but not even close to no issues.

For anyone playing did they improve the combat? In beta the melee combat was terrible. Also did they ever add the option for chat bubbles and nameplates for people that want them? I had difficulties chatting with people in my vicinity in the beta weekends. I remember someone also said there was not going to be an auction house for retail, is that true? Not really a fan of having to spam chats to trade or sell stuff. I can't see myself paying for an mmorpg that lacks well established features for the genre, especially social ones.

From what I'm seeing of Twitch streams, no chat bubbles and no nameplates. These were my biggest gripes from beta. Feels like I'm playing a single player game with sophisticated AI. And the chat bubbles, how could they leave such a feature out? I love the speech bubbles in Guild Wars 2 and can't imagine playing another MMO without them.

SRTtoZ

Put a few hours into it and I really like the game. Its an MMO thats less MMO than most if you know what I mean.

My biggest issue is the release date because I'm still highly addicted to D3 RoS and really don't have time for this (I even put Infamous SS aside).

What would I need to purchase to get in on the three day headstart?

I think all off the retail editions get 3 day head starts except for the physical CE which gets 5 day (today). If you buy directly from Zenimax ESO website you will get a 5 day headstart regardless of the edition.

From what I'm seeing of Twitch streams, no chat bubbles and no nameplates. These were my biggest gripes from beta. Feels like I'm playing a single player game with sophisticated AI. And the chat bubbles, how could they leave such a feature out? I love the speech bubbles in Guild Wars 2 and can't imagine playing another MMO without them.

I agree. When I brought up this point about FF14ARR I got smashed because I guess chat bubbles break immersion or something? (thats what they told me). I cant stand looking down in a little chat box to see whos talking and then have to figure out which person it is in the world. Yuck.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Watching CohhCarnage stream now and so many people donating money for giveaway copies of ESO... sheesh.

Some guy donated $250 :)

Ravijn

Aside from a couple quest bugs, I'm enjoying the game much more than I did the beta. It's actually pretty good so far.

I had 1 quest bug and 1 anchor fight bug but those can be fixed by either grouping with someone and going to their instance or logging out. Other than that everything has been great.

I made it to level 10 and I am having a blast just exploring and finding/doing quests. I figured out some of the crafting and it's pretty interesting.

Furio53

Didn't play the beta, but played about 7 hours today.

I'm definitely enjoying it more than I thought I would. Combat is fun and a little more involved than typical MMO's, movement is more important. The game looks really nice too.

I went in pretty blind, had heard general rumblings of negativity, but I'm really having fun playing it.

CaLe

For people with 3-Day early access, is the retail code giving you access, or it's a separate code ?

I just bought a code on eBay and I was told the retail code is also the early access code, just wondering how true that is ?

I redeemed the code on the website and I'm only given the "early access" status, should I have another status too?

Watching CohhCarnage stream now and so many people donating money for giveaway copies of ESO... sheesh.

Some guy donated $250 :)

Some guy donated $890 to Force's stream in the first hours of the stream...yikes.

Anyways, good to see people are having fun with the game. I don't have a PC to play it in, but I'm eagerly waiting for the PS4 version.

Ravijn

Some guy donated $890 to Force's stream in the first hours of the stream...yikes.

Anyways, good to see people are having fun with the game. I don't have a PC to play it in, but I'm eagerly waiting for the PS4 version.

This game will be a great addition to the PS4. Should be pretty easy to play with the Dualshock.

Ravijn

For people with 3-Day early access, is the retail code giving you access, or it's a separate code ?

I just bought a code on eBay and I was told the retail code is also the early access code, just wondering how true that is ?

I redeemed the code on the website and I'm only given the "early access" status, should I have another status too?

When you added your code to your ESO account does it say 'Early Access' under account status?

edit - Nevermind. You're good to go.

OmY7TMD.png

CaLe

When you added your code to your ESO account does it say 'Early Access' under account status?

edit - Nevermind. You're good to go.

OmY7TMD.png

Phew ! Awesome news, can't wait to jump in, watching streams meanwhile to keep me busy. It makes for great background noise while grinding in D3.

Thanks for checking it out.

jacket320

So glad to read some positive feedback today. I played one beta weekend and had a lot of fun and-though I could see where some of the hate came from-I thought a lot of the negativity was overblown.

Game is great, by far the smoothest launch I've been in, the only bug I've encountered is the horse dismounting at random times.

Buy the game and form your opinion, even the beta wasn't a good representation.

Now who wants some crow?

SRTtoZ

Sounds right. My account says "Beta Access" and "Early Access".

Whooter

Game is great, by far the smoothest launch I've been in, the only bug I've encountered is the horse dismounting at random times.

Buy the game and form your opinion, even the beta wasn't a good representation.

Now who wants some crow?

Crow won't be served until the initial 30 days are up and players start paying for subscriptions, I expect.

I'll wait for the PS4 version, hopefully the PC users will find of the bugs and they get fixed in that two months before its release.

I'm excited to play it though. All I really play is elder scrolls and fallout series. A lot of the thins people dont like about those games, I like, so Im not taking anyone opinion about this game. I will see for myself when the console beta comes out.

So what engine is this using? HeroEngine was only used for prototyping right?

Don't know but they are doing a good job with it imho.
The models are mediocre but they are compensating with good time-of-day/weather effects, artistic placement of models, dynamic lighting (torches, fires), bump-mapping that is actually visible, even light-scattering for the sun. All of these with many characters on-screen and good frame-rates for a mmo.
Not ground-braking features but well chosen for the task at hand. They've brought in a pretty well rounded visual package I think.

Not really true.

Character creation zoom, horse dismounts, still a bunch of bugged quests, preorder benefits, zones crashing and weird load times.

And thats just from what Ive seen playing for a couple hours.

Better than most launches but not even close to no issues.

Sorry, I was referring specifically to the connection to the server and flooding etc. But since last night I've heard of two server crashes that occurred.

LMAO the quests are still bugged??? Thank god I held off on this.

Yes ALL THE QUESTS ARE BUGGED and it's COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE.

Now go back and read the part where it says "bunch".

gribbles

Banned
Yes ALL THE QUESTS ARE BUGGED and it's COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE.

Now go back and read the part where it says "bunch".

I don't care if it's only a small bunch of quests that are still bugged. These quests have been bugged since the early alphas, people have been reporting them over and over in each beta, but Zenimax never gave enough of a shit to fix them. Zenimax even assured us that all of them would be resolved by release, but lo and behold I guess that was a load of BS as well. Zenimax is fucking useless.

I don't care if it's only a small bunch of quests that are still bugged. These quests have been bugged since the early alphas, people have been reporting them over and over in each beta, but Zenimax never gave enough of a shit to fix them. Zenimax even assured us that all of them would be resolved by release, but lo and behold I guess that was a load of BS as well. Zenimax is fucking useless.

Actually, on second thought, it's really unplayable and you should stay well away from it. Don't think about playing it. Don't even come near it.

*cover mouth*

*whisper* hey... everyone else... it'll be fine

I played the first bit of the beta (Escaping the Prison thing) and wasn't too excited at all. However, I actually enjoyed in Pre-Release when I played it last night.

Nameplates and Chat Bubbles are turned off by default now. They have an option under Social to turn them back on!

Pit

Just curious as to what size the download is for this game? Some people are saying they are up to 30GB and im curious is the download compressed so a smaller size?

Unison

Just saw this:

i9Qsxy6.jpg

This is one janky game... I die from clipping errors more than anything, which would be fine, except that is where a lot of my gold goes.

It's relatively fun for what it is, but I am 100% certain I would have preferred a single player TES game.

From the latest patch notes:
Quests
General

Replaced the weapon rack in the tutorial with tables. These tables now contain a sword and shield, a staff, and a two handed maul for you to pick up.
Fixed an issue with several quests that would incorrectly despawn your pets, rather than removing the NPCs associated with that quest that needed to go away.
Found an issue with hundreds of events in-game that could sometimes lead to the quest breaking. These fixes should resolve the following situations:
Missing NPCs.
Despawned or missing monsters that are critical for completing a quest.
Missing objects that are critical for completing a quest.
Groups completing quest content asynchronously.
Moved the NPCs that take you back to your starter island to a closer and more visible location.
Fixed an issue in several zones where monsters could stop spawning when a specific set of criteria is met.

Are you sure that the quests not working since alpha are not working today as well?

Top Bottom