• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Badgerst3

This is gaming crack cocaine! found myself playing at 3a two consecutive work nights in a row.

Always something new to do. Level 13 and have only done 2 of the main quest missions.

Love pimping Lydia in my found armor and giving her my loot to lug. Can I marry her later?

Abylim

12mb save now, and its starting to effect my love for this game=\
I need to restart every 30 mins to an hour now, if I dont the game just freezes at certain parts.
Tried everything suggested on the web to minimize issues, nothing seems to work, besides resetting.

Had to redo like 20 mins of the final civil war quest.
Aside from that, loving it. This game would be 11/10 if it werent for some of the bugs I've encountered(ps3 version, ofcourse =\)

Seanspeed

Banned
Never had the patience to get into the previous elder scrolls games, but I'm really enjoying skyrim. I have a few questions. My character is primarily archery, and was wondering what other skill would help a long range character. Was also wondering what items I'd break down to make an enchanted bow, and can you combine poisons and arrows?

Sneak and Alchemy.

Hitting somebody with a bow while sneaking deals a critical strike that does double damage. The better you can sneak, the more you can do this.

There's also a sneaking perk that gives you 3x damage with a bow when sneaking.

Building your alchemy skill allows you to make some pretty potent poisons.

And lastly, make sure you get the zoom and slow-down-time perks for Archery. Helps soooo much.

As for enchanting, you have to have an item with an echantment so you can break it down to learn that enchantment. For instance, if you want to add Fire Damage to a bow, you have to find an item enchanted with Fire Damage to break down first. Then use the best filled soul gem you have to enchant your bow with this property. The better the soul gem, the more uses you'll get from it.

Styles

So my horse just died from a fall, god knows why he followed me up there. Its head is erecting from the ground with a rather sad expression, poor thing. RIP my beloved.

Almost 40 hours and I'm only lvl 27 and I've had three of my companions died on me. To make things worse I can't find their bodies! They had some valuable gear on them...

Bentendo

I have a question about skills. Whenever a skill levels up, does it have any effect other than the ability to get new perks? For example, if one-handed levels up, does it become more efficient (more powerful attacks) or are you just able to just get new perks for that skill?

I have a question about skills. Whenever a skill levels up, does it have any effect other than the ability to get new perks? For example, if one-handed levels up, does it become more efficient (more powerful attacks) or are you just able to just get new perks for that skill?

In that case, your one-handed damage also goes up each skill level. Every skill has benefits for gaining levels in it beyond getting new perks, better armor rating, more damage, more effective crafting, lower mana cost, better sneaking, etc.

KorrZ

Thieves Guild :
Nightingale armor is way too awesome looking! I just wish there was a way to customize the enchants on it, lack of +% to bow skill is lame ><

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is gaming crack cocaine! found myself playing at 3a two consecutive work nights in a row.

Always something new to do. Level 13 and have only done 2 of the main quest missions.

Love pimping Lydia in my found armor and giving her my loot to lug. Can I marry her later?

I'm pretty sure you can marry Lydia immediately.

Bentendo

In that case, your one-handed damage also goes up each skill level. Every skill has benefits for gaining levels in it beyond getting new perks, better armor rating, more damage, more effective crafting, lower mana cost, better sneaking, etc.

Okay this game just got a lot more interesting. How did I not know this? I've been playing for about 20 hours now lol. Is there a list available that shows the effects leveling up has for each skill?

EDIT: Also, does the actual effect only occur after your character levels up or automatically.

Zeliard

I'm not convinced Conju Dual casting is useful, 60 second is good enough spell lenght most the time, at least for me.

On Master I typically dual cast some conjuration at the start of the battle and the summon/zombie tends to usefully stick around. Summons can be quite durable and if you're playing as a fragile mage where you need someone else to constantly be distracting the enemy, it's effective to just dual cast it once and then concern yourself with other things.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
robots in skyrim
Are-you-fucking-kidding-me.jpg

Fun fact: The "dwarves" are actually elves (extinct, yet mechanically inclined ones) - hence why everything is "men" and "mer." All of the mer are elves. Altmer, Dunmer, Bosmer, Dwemer and Falmer (The Snow Elves who lived in Skyrim but are now mostly feral violent animals). The Ayleids from Oblivion were elves too, but don't follow the naming convention.

Edit: Don't forget the Orsimer. Yeah, the orcs in this game are elves too.

Been trying to clear out some of my quest log, so I went to Winterhold and the College to do a couple things, only to find I was being camped upon exit by an Elder Dragon. The damn thing keeps kicking my ass, or I just get lazy and don't have my ward or heal ready or right. Either way, after about ten tries of that shit I just snuck out of town. I summoned one of my buddies and let him attract the dragon's ire. So after sneaking a ways south up the mountain, I drop my sneak stance and break into a run (this time I went far enough, Iv'e tried before and the bastard still saw me from a distance) west, hoping to achieve a goal of some kind.

Managing to get there, have a great time and clear the dungeon I was pretty pleased. Not looking to fast travel I decided I'd just walk back to Winterhold to end this quest. I must have walked about half the journey before I saw the college sticking out from the mountain in the distance. No big deal, but suddenly I saw the silhouette of the dragon, ever circling the town waiting for it's choice prey to return or to reveal himself in the countryside nearby.

I suppose it's time to finally deal with this troublesome dragon.

Cudder

So am I eventually going to be finding high-end armor in the world (dragon, glass, ebony, daedric)? Or is smithing the only way to acquire them? I don't want to waste leveling up smithing to make armor if I'm eventually going to get all of this armor at some point naturally.

Angry Grimace

So am I eventually going to be finding high-end armor in the world (dragon, glass, ebony, daedric)? Or is smithing the only way to acquire them? I don't want to waste leveling up smithing to make armor if I'm eventually going to get all of this armor at some point naturally.

I haven't gotten that far, but it seems like they tried to make sure that random bandits don't show up in full Glass Armor like in Oblivion. I think only the boss leveled ones will have gear that nice.

GhaleonEB

A couple days ago I had an interesting moment I meant to mention. I was being chased through a ship by a boat captain - dude with a big broadsword, and my arrows were barely denting him. That's usually bad news. I get to the door to get outside and hit the button....and the door creaks open at the moment his one-hit killing blow lands.

Cue loading screen.

It loads up the outdoors and my dead body spawns hurling through the air, where I pinwheel away from the ship a good 100 yards or so. Thank goodness I'd just saved before taking a shot at him, as the autosave was at that spot. :lol

I'm curious how many books the Solitude house holds. I've got two houses right now with my books... I'm planning on getting a single copy of every book in Skyrim right now. THe problem that I'm having though is that I was hoping there would be one house that had enough shelves to hold all the books so I can keep them in alphabetical order. Neurotic I know. But my slight OCD tendencies come out in games like this.

Don't feel bad, I've got every bookshelf filled in whiterun and about 100 additional books shoved in a drawer there. Plus a barrel filled with tons of food, a knapsack filled to the brim with ingredients for alchemy, and of course all the fine jewels are in the nightstand next to my bed. Can't let the damn brigands get the good stuff next to the front door, can we?

Cudder

I haven't gotten that far, but it seems like they tried to make sure that random bandits don't show up in full Glass Armor like in Oblivion. I think only the boss leveled ones will have gear that nice.

Regardless, if I'll be running into any enemies that have it, I'll just loot them and have the armor forever, right? Really not interested in wasting perks on trees I dont wanna upgrade. :S

balddemon

Banned
i just started a 2handed character, what should i be investing in? obviously 2 handed and heavy armor (for me at least), but is it worth having a bow? and just health/stamina? is 1handed/dual wielding better than 2handed?

Angry Grimace

Also, the Black Star seems a lot better than the regular one. I haven't even seen a creature that has a Grand soul yet - not even the Frost Trolls (they just have common).

Regardless, if I'll be running into any enemies that have it, I'll just loot them and have the armor forever, right? Really not interested in wasting perks on trees I dont wanna upgrade. :S
So far, the closest I've seen to this is occasionally bandit leaders and boss characters will have either good armor or good weapons but not both. It doesn't seem like it's easy to loot that kind of stuff except in leveled chests at the end of dungeons. I'm not far enough to say, however.

Wanace

robots in skyrim
Are-you-fucking-kidding-me.jpg

The Dwemer constructs have existed since Redguard, as was previously mentioned.

Plus they make perfect sense in the game world. The Dwemer were the most advanced society in Tamriel until they disappeared. I actually love the Dwemer idea and I'm glad they brought it into Skyrim. It's the most enduring mystery of the series.

q_q

The Dwemer are a civilization that rose up through reliance on science and mechanics instead of magic like the rest of the elves. Personally I think they're cool.

Yes but a lot of their science was based on magic. Heart of Lorkhan, soul gems powering their machines, etc.

GhaleonEB

i just started a 2handed character, what should i be investing in? obviously 2 handed and heavy armor (for me at least), but is it worth having a bow? and just health/stamina? is 1handed/dual wielding better than 2handed?

I haven't gone that route, but I think it's always good to have a secondary attack, if for nothing other than variety. I'm doing archery primary and one-handed secondary right now, with a planned one-handed coupled with destruction magic for my next character.

Not sure what I'd do for two handed. He sounds like a brawler, so maybe an emphasis on enchanting, smithing, alchemy (poisons/buffs) and restoration.

Cudder

My 2 handed sword is pretty powerful on it's own. When I started I was doing a mix of 1 and 2 handed, but ever since leveling up my 2 handed tree, I've pretty much done away with 1 handed weapons.

I also always carry a bow and arrows, whenever I start a dungeon it's the first thing I equip, I try to make it as far as I can stealthily, until I get spotted, then the 2 handed beast comes out. :)

GhaleonEB

Fuck the haters, the Dwemer are awesome. I love all of the steam-based mechanisms.

I've only now done one dungeon where they were active, and I loved it (the Lost Expedition quest). Those things cleaned the house when I
turned them on, mowing through the blind mole people whose name I forget.

AngryMoth

Really difficult to know whether to read spoiler tags in this thread. I'm 65 hours in, but theres still so much stuff I haven't even touched yet that I don't want spoiled.

I've hit this strange glitch while playing that whenever I wear the (spoiler for equipment you get from the College of Winterhold quest line)
Morokei mask and Archmage's Robes
together, I have no head. Like, I'm walking around in robes and a cowl, but if I turn the camera to face me I look like a Nazghul and it's just an empty floating cowl. Any other armor combination is fine and shows up normally, but whenever I do those two together I turn into the Headless Wonder.

I find it fuckin' hilarious.

Ramirez

So, I've seen like 3 of these "cages" that have levers inside of them, but there's no way to open them. What's that all about?

Sometimes I just cannot get a dragon's attention. They swoop around outside of reasonable bow range and ultimately they just fly away as I waste my arrows. any tips?

Wanace

How do I get the Black Star? I only have the regular Azura's star.

Also is there a way to turn regular soul gems into black ones like in Oblivion? I think I asked before but didn't see an answer.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Sometimes I just cannot get a dragon's attention. They swoop around outside of reasonable bow range and ultimately they just fly away as I waste my arrows. any tips?

Near the end of the main quest gets you a shout that makes them land.

Man Im not liking the 2nd tier destuction spells, the first tier were awesome but they are pretty damn weak now, guess I have to use the stronger spells.

Are the
guild chests in the thieves guild
safe to leave stuff in? If not where are some safe places to leave stuff, other than in a house you own?

Visceir

Regarding main quest ending

I think it's really lame how NOTHING changes in the world after you finish the main quest. I don't even get any special dialogue from the Jarls, but instead they act like it's the first time they met me...when just earlier they had a peace treaty just for the sake of me trapping a dragon and saving the world, wtf :

No thanks, no "hey, can we forget about the peace treaty now?". Really bothered me so I just killed everyone in Windhelm, lol

How do I get the Black Star? I only have the regular Azura's star.

You can either get one or the other,
depending on if you take the broken star to the elf in the pub or to the altar

Edit: also the paralize perk you get at 100 archery is pretty awesome

balddemon

Banned
I haven't gone that route, but I think it's always good to have a secondary attack, if for nothing other than variety. I'm doing archery primary and one-handed secondary right now, with a planned one-handed coupled with destruction magic for my next character.

Not sure what I'd do for two handed. He sounds like a brawler, so maybe an emphasis on enchanting, smithing, alchemy (poisons/buffs) and restoration.

Yeah, thats what I was pretty much planning on. Didn't consider alchemy though, and with that I could just make HP potions instead of investing in restoration.

My 2 handed sword is pretty powerful on it's own. When I started I was doing a mix of 1 and 2 handed, but ever since leveling up my 2 handed tree, I've pretty much done away with 1 handed weapons.

I also always carry a bow and arrows, whenever I start a dungeon it's the first thing I equip, I try to make it as far as I can stealthily, until I get spotted, then the 2 handed beast comes out. :)

Alright so 2handed is pretty good. Do you recommend focusing on 1 type of 2hander (eg swords), or going for all 3?

oneils

Are the
guild chests in the thieves guild
safe to leave stuff in? If not where are some safe places to leave stuff, other than in a house you own?

I have the prima game guide and it has left me the impression that the only safe place to leave your stuff is in your houses. Sorry, I can't give more help than that. I'm guessing even chests
in the guild headquarters (companions, thieves, mages, etc.)
might not be completely safe. boouuurns.

Top Bottom