• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Wanace

They gave you a choice of who to talk to at the end of that quest line. I suspect that determines whether you get regular or black.

Ahhh, shit, that sucks. I didn't go with that guy because he was all "Noooo, daedras are bad!" and I didn't like his BS.

Darkman M

Regarding main quest ending

I think it's really lame how NOTHING changes in the world after you finish the main quest. I don't even get any special dialogue from the Jarls, but instead they act like it's the first time they met me...when just earlier they had a peace treaty just for the sake of me trapping a dragon and saving the world, wtf :

No thanks, no "hey, can we forget about the peace treaty now?". Really bothered me so I just killed everyone in Windhelm, lol

You can either get one or the other,
depending on if you take the broken star to the elf in the pub or to the altar

Edit: also the paralize perk you get at 100 archery is pretty awesome

Seems i fucked up massively..

btkadams

i'm a newcomer to the series and haven't popped the disc into my ps3 yet. i have zero experience with this type of game. does anybody have any tips? is there a good race or optimal skills that a noob like me should use?

balddemon

Banned
i'm a newcomer to the series and haven't popped the disc into my ps3 yet. i have zero experience with this type of game. does anybody have any tips? is there a good race or optimal skills that a noob like me should use?

take it back and get the 360 or pc version

Cudder

Yeah, thats what I was pretty much planning on. Didn't consider alchemy though, and with that I could just make HP potions instead of investing in restoration.

Alright so 2handed is pretty good. Do you recommend focusing on 1 type of 2hander (eg swords), or going for all 3?

Do what you want! :)

Personally, I'll probably just stick with leveling my swords and general damage in the 2 handed tree. There are just far too many perks I want to try out to waste them all on similar-to-each-other perks.

Ok, so. Balanced version of Skyrim. Any additions to this list?

No Enchanting or Smithing. Not much to explain here. More than likely the least balanced thing about Skyrim.

No Conjuring or Companions. Any sort of allied NPCs don't suffer a damage/defense penalty on higher difficulty modes (just like Oblivion lol) and are thus unbalanced. Yes, your companion and summons kill things on Master just as easily as they do on normal.

No Shadow Warrior Perk (in the Sneak tree). This prevents you from being technically invincible because you can hit and run without the enemy ever finding you.

No Shields. Sorry, shield bash spammers. Makes the game far too easy.

The balance of game rules falls on the developers, not the players, by the way. Being a sandbox game is not an excuse.

Cudder

You are about to be consumed by the world of Skyrim. Just go with the flow, and do as you see fit!

Izayoi

Banned
it's not even that, as a stealth character i barely got hit, so my stealth was super high while my other skills weren't. so now i gotta play like a barbarian to level 1h... and make sure i get hit all the time.
Who needs weapon perks anyway when you can just break enchanting/smithing.

Darkman M

No Enchanting or Smithing. Not much to explain here. More than likely the least balanced thing about Skyrim.

No Conjuring or Companions. Any sort of allied NPCs don't suffer a damage/defense penalty on higher difficulty modes (just like Oblivion lol) and are thus unbalanced. Yes, your companion and summons kill things on Master just as easily as they do on normal.

No Shadow Warrior Perk (in the Sneak tree). This prevents you from being technically invincible because you can hit and run without the enemy ever finding you.

The balance of game rules falls on the developers, not the players, by the way. Being a sandbox game is not an excuse.

fuck that shit.

balddemon

Banned
so that i can't play it? i don't have a 360 or a pc.

well, in that case, be prepared for immense anger when your game becomes very jumpy when the save file gets too big. up until then its a really fun game.

as for actual tips, try creating a sneaking backstabbing sniping character. it's one of the most fun ways to play the game.

Cudder

Okay, someone explain. Enchanting/Smithing is OP?

I didn't enchant a single thing in Oblivion, so I probably won't here.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Who needs weapon perks anyway when you can just break enchanting/smithing.

Some people find that not very fun? I'll take my perks and one enchantment. If you're going to break the game might as well open up the pc console and give yourself 5000 health.

btkadams

You are about to be consumed by the world of Skyrim. Just go with the flow, and do as you see fit!
alright, cool!
well, in that case, be prepared for immense anger when your game becomes very jumpy when the save file gets too big. up until then its a really fun game.

as for actual tips, try creating a sneaking backstabbing sniping character. it's one of the most fun ways to play the game.
it becomes jumpy? is that what the upcoming patch fixes? i seriously doubt i'll be able to put in more than a few hours this week since i'm really busy with school so hopefully my save file stays small enough until the fix is available ha. and i'll look into the sneaking character, thanks!

Izayoi

Banned
it's too late for that combo, but i am starting enchanting at least.
At your level it's going to take a while to get the perks you need. Your best bet is to just find an invincible NPC and go at it for a few hours.

LuchaShaq said:
Some people find that not very fun? I'll take my perks and one enchantment. If you're going to break the game might as well open up the pc console and give yourself 5000 health.
Well, for one, he's stuck on a console, and two, I'm just giving him a hard time.

eek5

Sorry but that doesn't sound fun at all. BTW companions don't even level with you; they stay on the same level as when you meet them.

iNvid02

lydia been pimped with amazing ebony armor and weapons
she died an hour later from a falmer stealth kill lol, had to restart and rescue her

tesv_2011_11_20_00_43x5cxw.png

also first spelling error i noticed, maybe there is more but i never noticed one until now
wrose

tesv_2011_11_20_01_397keqk.png

Sorry but that doesn't sound fun at all. BTW companions don't even level with you; they stay on the same level as when you meet them.
So then you find the higher level companions, right? They still have a huge advantage over the player seeing as they don't get damage/defense penalties.

Gravijah

At your level it's going to take a while to get the perks you need. Your best bet is to just find an invincible NPC and go at it for a few hours.

i've got at 5 perks saved, so i'll at least be able to get quite a few of the enchanting perks... i guess i can go barb up some dungeons to level my 1h and light armor.

A great starter strategy is sneak + bow. Any physical attack from sneak gives you a damage multiplier. Sneak will allow you to pick your battles a bit, very helpful early on. But all the combat is pretty viable.

I went with dark elf (dunmer) as a race because they have 50% fire resistance which is helpful.

And don't mess with the Giants herding the mammoths out on the plain. Seriously.

Other than that, pick a direction or quest and start walking.

Visceir

Most people seem to agree that archery and magic are more fun and that the melee combat isn't all that great.

There are standing stones you can activate right in the beginning of the game. You can keep one active and change them whenever you like, they give you really good bonuses. I discovered that like 10 hours into my game.

You can sprint. (seems like some people missed that)

Be sure to check the controls info in the bottom of the page when you're going to learn new shouts, seems like many people had difficulties figuring out what button to use to use your dragon souls.

And as stated above, I would recommend to avoid smithing/enchanting as that kinda ruins the game (except for the 2 perk points you could invest to improve magical armor/weapons that you find). Use companions only when you really need to.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
i've got at 5 perks saved, so i'll at least be able to get quite a few of the enchanting perks... i guess i can go barb up some dungeons to level my 1h and light armor.
Oh, well that should make things far less painful.

Visceir

But what happens when there's a group of enemies? Kill one, then the rest rush you and youre left with a bow to defend yourself?

I only used a bow from beginning until end...pretty much. usually at most you're battling 2 - 3 enemies. I relied on the 3x attack bonus from sneak attacks to even the odds long before any of them even reached me.

I remember some parts being difficult in the beginning where I ended up shooting an arrow, dodging attacks running further away and shooting another arrow, but it was manageable.

Also, you get shouts that kinda work as crowd control (ice form)

But what happens when there's a group of enemies? Kill one, then the rest rush you and youre left with a bow to defend yourself?

Yeah it breaks down once you're rushed, you have to engage carefully. It's definitely helpful to dabble in one handed or magic, and the game totally allows it. Also when you are offered a companion, use her to tank.

Once you reach high levels of archery though you end up killing enemies in a couple shots, and you can slow time as you're aiming.

iNvid02

if your hidden they need to find you first, and the bow is still pretty powerful.
as you progress you get to zoom in and slow down time when aiming

go for archery and sneak its worth it, also just mess around for a bit with magic and swords/axes when you start, your not tied to anything.

AiTM

Banned
I understand how you break smithing by building a ton of daggers, but how do you break enchanting? Enchanting those daggers?

JackEtc

Alright guys, what do you think is the best destruction type, Fire, Ice, or Lightning? I have just the base spells, and wanna start investing in one of them.

I think I'm stuck deciding between Fire and Lightning...

eek5

Alright guys, what do you think is the best destruction type, Fire, Ice, or Lightning? I have just the base spells, and wanna start investing in one of them.

I think I'm stuck deciding between Fire and Lightning...

I went for fire and ice. I might end up building out the shock tree though. I ended up not getting the last fire perk since I kind of don't want people to flee when their health is low

btkadams

what the fuck.
DnOsI.png

do they not put sleeves inside the cases anymore? lol i opened the game out of the shrink wrap and the sleeve was just wrapped around it.

iNvid02

Where can I find better armor and weapons? I never have enough money, and no one will take my valued items. I want bad ass gear!

because they're stolen, you need to advance in the thieves guild missions or get really
high in speech to shift stolen stuff. better stuff appears as you level up, shops start
selling the good stuff as the game steps up. lot of goodies in dungeons though

or just steal, rich places have locked cabinets with nice weapons

Top Bottom