• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

RyanDG

Btw - Last thread I made a comment that my save game was not loading on the PS3 version anymore. I had a bit of a crisis situation until I deleted all of my saves, uninstalled the game, fresh installed it and loaded from the cloud.

Thank god for the cloud saves now, because it worked and I only lost one day of play time.

eek5

I'm not convinced Conju Dual casting is useful, 60 second is good enough spell lenght most the time, at least for me.
In Destruction remember to consider are you going to use all damage types or not. And if you're, do you really need the special effect perks for all? Flame and Frost ones are quite similar in practice, not to mention nigh useless most of the time, dying targets are dead so soon anyway.
Both Alteration and Restoration have useful perks but you probably won't get enough perks to maxime both ones so consider carefully.

I skipped dual casting on everything but destruction. I agree, 60s is plenty and you'll often have to recast the spell forward if you sprint around a lot so having a longer duration isn't really great. Later on you get permanent spells as well so that seems like a waste.

I tried dual casting on illusion and it definitely doesn't affect the level of mob you can pacify etc. so I have no idea what that even does. I opted to just get adept healing and spam the lower level spell since it seems most efficient. I rather just heal with one hand without having to juggle everything.

I'm in the early game. I have 4000 gold. I want to get a house. What's the best way to get that extra thousand?

Clear out a bandit fortress/cave and sell everything you find. Usually the local Jarl's have a quest to clear at least one location like that. Take a companion for a pack mule if you need to.

Also, horses let you fast travel while encumbered.

Theres an NPC in the first tavern just as you enter Whiterun that you can get into a fistfight with to earn 200 gold.

KingK

Yes, several pages back, someone quoted an announcement that there should be a fix for 360 and PS3 issues in the week after Thanksgiving. Hopefully the PS3 patch addresses the framerate issue.

Thanks for the info. Really hope it's addressed in the patch, because sometimes it completely breaks the game.

Anyway, HOLY FUCKING SHIT BALLS at the beginning of the Dark Brotherhood questline.
A while after killing Grelod, I got the note with a black hand that simply said "We Know." I though, "cool, they're gonna contact me soon." Nothing happened for a while, and I was working on making my set of Ebony armor. I needed more Ingots but the shop was out, so I just went to my bed to sleep until they replenish supplies. Screen went black and I was like "wtf?" Woke up in a shack with a DB agent and 3 hostages. Fucking awesome.

Anyway, got my set of Ebony Armor (all Legandary), and now have an armor rating of 468. I also made myself an Ebony Bow and a set of two Ebony Swords, each with 62 base damage and one enchanted with 14 fire damage, the other with 10 ice and stamina damage. Gave Lidya all of my old upgraded Orcish armor and made her an Ebony War Ax. We're ready to fuck shit up.

Also, does anyone know what the advantage of Swords are over Maces or Axes? I've been using swords the whole time, but I've noticed they actually do a few points less damage. Do they require less stamina to use?

Wallach

I like Conjuration dual casting for reanimation. You don't get a permanent reanimation that works on anything except humanoids that I've seen. That might be too narrow a use for some folks, though you'll get a lot of mileage out of it still since you don't get any permanent conjurations until master class casting. I took dual casting for Conjuration, Alteration and Restoration and quite like all three.

Chris R

Lets try this in the correct thread.

So early mage college quest... Not going to bother spoiling anything since I'm not really spoiling things. Tolfdir won't follow me into the next area after killing some mobs. Is this intended or a bug? He just stands there in the area where we last killed some guys and has no new conversation options.

eek5

I like Conjuration dual casting for reanimation. You don't get a permanent reanimation that works on anything except humanoids that I've seen. That might be too narrow a use for some folks, though you'll get a lot of mileage out of it still since you don't get any permanent conjurations until master class casting. I took dual casting for Conjuration, Alteration and Restoration and quite like all three.

Does alteration dual casting boost the flesh armor ratings?

So early mage college quest... Not going to bother spoiling anything since I'm not really spoiling things. Tolfdir won't follow me into the next area after killing some mobs. Is this intended or a bug? He just stands there in the area where we last killed some guys and has no new conversation options.

This stuff happens all the time. Just keep going or try waiting an hour and see if that fixes it

Mindman

Two questions:

1. Where the HELL is the entrance/starting point for the Throat of the World to get to the Greybeards?!

2. How can I steal inventory from shopkeepers? It's not available for pickpocket or in their store.

Also, does anyone know what the advantage of Swords are over Maces or Axes? I've been using swords the whole time, but I've noticed they actually do a few points less damage. Do they require less stamina to use?

I believe swords are faster and have a better chance to critical if I remember correctly.

Wallach

Does alteration dual casting boost the flesh armor ratings?

No. Basically dual casting only seeks to improve efficiency. My main use of it is to land stupidly long Paralyze casts (DC + Stability) to ensure that I can roll someone the greatest distance possible.

Ultrabum

its intendedto be like that

gblues

Banned
Two questions:

1. Where the HELL is the entrance/starting point for the Throat of the World to get to the Greybeards?!

2. How can I steal inventory from shopkeepers? It's not available for pickpocket or in their store.

It's on the eastern side of the mountain. There's a town there. I can't remember the name of it and I can't get into the game right now to look.

Lebron

How do you change the 3rd person camera view? It seems I did something and the camera is literally right on my back now, when before it was further back and I could see my entire character.

Wallach

Anything in conjuration stronger than dremora lord? I know summon lich was the max level conjure spell in oblivion

I don't think so in terms of raw damage, sans maybe reanimating something particularly strong. I'll need to do a lot of experimenting to figure out if anything is actually stronger than a Lord.

I thought choosing a game of the year would be incredibly difficult this year. Then I played Skyrim.

I can't tear myself away from this game. I'm 40 hours in, playing a female Imperial spellsword. I (Companions questline spoiler)
am the Harbinger of the Companions
, and have taken up the College of Winterhold questline. I've mostly ignored the main questline, only recently (Whiterun spoilers)
fighting the first dragon
and ascending to High Hrothgar. Most of my time has simply been spent wandering in the wilds, discovering dungeons, and wiping out their hostile inhabitants.

Such an amazing game.

Sethos

Banned
How do you change the 3rd person camera view? It seems I did something and the camera is literally right on my back now, when before it was further back and I could see my entire character.

It changes to a more distant camera when you draw weapons

I know what you mean. What this game shares with Morrowind is its ability to make me forget all of its flaws and just soak up every bit of it I can discover. Oblivion didn't have that.

I'm 43 hours in now and I have maybe half the map locations uncovered, and even then there's a lot I haven't seen in the areas I have treaded.

I'd contend Elder Scrolls has always had that. At least for me it hasn't missed a beat since Daggerfall. I can understand people saying Oblivion isn't as good as Morrowind (I still find it subject to question as is), but to claim Oblivion didn't have the Elder Scrolls magic, or some interesting questlines (DB is one of my favorite in the series), beuna vistas (hey, in 2006 (2005?), I felt this game looked mostly great), and overall Elder Scrolls depth and charm I think is a bit much.

Personally? Sure. I can see how someone might be disenchanted with one of these games in particular and favor another if that's what you're saying, but I think Oblivion stands on its own objectively with other TES games.

Hold the R3 to switch out (keep holding it) and then push the left analog up or down to adjust it.

eek5

Anything in conjuration stronger than dremora lord? I know summon lich was the max level conjure spell in oblivion

The only thing I've found that is even close is reanimating one of the higher level mage-type characters that cast the ice spear a lot. They can cast it in two hands and spam it pretty fast so they kill things relatively quickly. Other reanimations are kind of hit or miss. I read on reddit you can place a weapon into their inventory before you reanimate them and they'll use it. Often, they'll come up and be unarmed which is weird.

Don't give them anything great though because I've lost my minions a couple of times already.

Tambini

On PC scroll wheel, on console maybe the right stick?

edit: beaten by a while..

I did the prison break questline in markath and now I'm KOS there. Is there a way to erase my bounty? I've tried the Thieves Guild and there doesn't seem to be an option even though I'm a member.

eek5

I did the prison break questline in markath and now I'm KOS there. Is there a way to erase my bounty? I've tried the Thieves Guild and there doesn't seem to be an option even though I'm a member.

The game isn't clear about it but you didn't have to follow them after you escaped. One of them took the fall for you on the murders and you could've just walked out of the jail and let them run alone
No clue what you can do in regards to your bounty.

Has anyone tested whether atronach thralls are more powerful than standard conjured atronachs?

Seems the same to me although the thralls seem buggier in regards to following you out of rooms

kai3345

Banned
robots in skyrim
Are-you-fucking-kidding-me.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Is this normal? I'm in the house of Gray-Mane, and I can take everything. First time I am there. Only stuff I can't take are some necklaces.

I can even sleep in the bed.

I just leveled up smithing completely, but it seems like I still can't make legendary-level armor/weapons...what am I doing wrong?

Some weapon/armor types require the corresponding perk to level up completely. Unless you use enchanted gear to raise your smithing level way beyond 100, you'll need the perks to fully upgrade top tier equipment.

Forkball

Doing Thieves Guild Stuff now. I have so many active quests right now it's insane. I've been cheesing smithing too, I think I'm three away from an 80 rating so I can almost make Ebony armor. The amount of content in this game is unbelievable. I'm 22 hours in, and I've only been to two real cities (Whiterun and Riften). Still too low on gold though, hopefully I get some doing the thief quests.

CHEEZMO™ said:
The former.

Although to be fair, they are described and even shown in the load screens so you can't really get too indignant about it.
Yeah I'm not that sensitive to spoilers in this game but I still wanted to be sure.

So the death animation you sometimes get when fighting/killing enemies...what triggers that exactly?

I suspect it's based on overkill. When I die from it, it's generally from a strong enemy that definitely overkilled me. When I enact it, it's always a weaker enemy that I am devastating. But since I started left handing my weapon I don't get the animations anymore so I have no idea really. (because left hand is bugged out).

Did I just get spoiled or is this a joke.

They aren't "robots" per se and have definitely been existing previously in Elder Scrolls games, so about as spoilerish as a Spriggan or Harpy would be.

Seanspeed

Banned

I JUST finished that quest. Pretty sure he tells you to go on ahead yourself. He'll rejoin you later.

cackhyena

I never played anything before Oblivion. This game is so much better than that one in every way to me. So, are Dwarves supposed to be extinct or something? I wanna play a Dwarf in this series.

Wallach

Yeah actually I guess they showed up in Redguard first.

Easily my favorite part of the lore in this series, especially the exploration of them in Morrowind.

Teknoman

Robots are never dumb :mad:

But seriously, it still sorta makes sense in the grand scheme of things. Kinda like Guild Wars having that giant Dwarven Golem, or any other RPG that mixes old traditional ideas with magic mechanical/or just high tech things.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I never played anything before Oblivion. This game is so much better than that one in every way to me. So, are Dwarves supposed to be extinct or something? I wanna play a Dwarf in this series.

Dwarves are a name for the seemingly extinct Dwemer elves.

My grasp of the TES lore is sketchy at best.

Never had the patience to get into the previous elder scrolls games, but I'm really enjoying skyrim. I have a few questions. My character is primarily archery, and was wondering what other skill would help a long range character. Was also wondering what items I'd break down to make an enchanted bow, and can you combine poisons and arrows?

Top Bottom