• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Durante

Whats the best settings (or in the nvidia card settings) to make it look the best?
Like NBtoaster says above, the best settings are MSAA with transparency multisampling. Everyone should be able to afford at least 4xMSAA with 2xtrSSAA, but higher is better of course.

bTransparencyMultisampling=1 doesn't do much in my experience.

Hey, wouldn't it be cool if Skyrim was multiplayer in some way? Is such a thing even possible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWihNBmupdI

Someone's working on a multiplayer mod as we speak. I agree that TES games are all about the incredibly immersive single player, and I wouldn't want to sacrifice that, but the idea of being able to at least explore the world with a few friends and slay some dragons seems pretty cool. By 'pretty cool', I of course mean incredibly nerdy, but yeah...

Jubbly

New nvidia drivers out, up to 25% more performance!

Umm, jesus? http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/nvidia-geforce-290-53-beta-drivers-released

290-53-skyrim-indoor-performance.png

Should help you folks out massively, and should give my rig even more FPS :)

Other stuff of note from that article: new, faster AO profile and new 3DV crosshair.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm going to be away from my PC until January but I have noticed that Skyrim performance has greatly increased. I've found myself upping everything to higher draw distances and have turned AA on all without sacrifing performance compared to how the game ran two weeks ago. I haven't even had the chance to try out this new 4GB patch

Good improvements all around, ATI and Bethesda.

As a side note....on the Kindle Fire, when I type N E W it autocorrects the word to "bee". WHY DO THIS?

So I spent yesterday cleaning out my PC, reapplying thermal paste, and OCing it from 2.33GHz to 2.84GHz. Such a huge improvement in my framerate it's ridiculous and I haven't even touched my GPU yet.

Thanks to everyone who told me not to just go and buy that quad core CPU.

New nvidia drivers out, up to 25% more performance!

Umm, jesus? http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/nvidia-geforce-290-53-beta-drivers-released

290-53-skyrim-indoor-performance.png

Should help you folks out massively, and should give my rig even more FPS :)

Other stuff of note from that article: new, faster AO profile and new 3DV crosshair.

The new NVIDIA GeForce 290.53 beta drivers are now available to download. Recommended for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim players, the 290.53 beta drivers increase performance in the year's most played game by up to 25% and also include an updated, faster Ambient Occlusion profile that should eliminate the unsightly shimmering experienced and reported by members of the GeForce Community. And finally, we've updated our 3D Vision crosshair to better match the Skyrim's default 2D crosshair.
YES!!!!!!!!

neoemonk

My next video card is going to be nvidia. I just always feel like I'm sitting on the sidelines with my ATI card watching new drivers and utilities come out all the time. It could just be a "grass is always greener on the other side" phenomenon I suppose.

Kaper

My next video card is going to be nvidia. I just always feel like I'm sitting on the sidelines with my ATI card watching new drivers and utilities come out all the time. It could just be a "grass is always greener on the other side" phenomenon I suppose.

Nah, not just you.. I have alot of pride in my two 5850's... I love them, and as far as bang for your buck they are absolutely the best cards out there... better than 460 in my opinion for last cycle mid range cards...

I've always rooted for the underdogs, I got that from my dad... but this type of thing makes me sad... ATI needs to take every cent of revenue they make this year and put it all towards staff and coders that can make consistent and quality drivers.... fuck everything else for one year... then go back to business as usual.. They have monkeys i'm convinced sometimes

Dizzy-4U

Anyone knows what's the lastest version of script dragon? Is not working with the lastest update.

I didn't even know I had that installed. Who knows which of the 40 mods I have installed uses it.

edit: Nevermind. I just deleted the files.

Flunkie

Banned
Main gaming PC is borked, came home for the holidays, and installed Skyrim on my Q6600 @ 2.4 and 8800GT..

I can run at 1680x1050 on the High preset and still get a stable 25-30fps.

I said WOW.

Spat_triate

I switched to nVidia earlier this year (had always been an ATI guy). It was expensive but totally worth every extra penny.

Portugeezer

So the shadows are CPU based which is stupid kills performance on my Phenom II X4 840 processor. Have to use ugly medium shadows to have a good framerate in towns, any mods to change this to GPU based?

So the shadows are CPU based which is stupid kills performance on my Phenom II X4 840 processor. Have to use ugly medium shadows to have a good framerate in towns, any mods to change this to GPU based?

does this mean if I'm on an i7, 2620M @ 2.7 ~ 3.4 ghz processor I should be able to max it out without a big hit to my FPS?

NBtoaster

There was an issue where the previous 290.36 beta driver would not use profile settings on some games, is this fixed in that new driver?

edit: nope, some still break. Reverting.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

I thought it's a common misconception that Skyrim's shadows are cpu based.

What GPU are you using?

Cheech

Just wanted to chime in and say that the new 4 gb patch fixed my CTDs completely. I played 3 1/2 hours without a break last night without a single CTD; previously, it went down about every 30-45 minutes like clockwork.

I did have another strange problem that I fixed myself, but what a pain in the ass. One of the recent ATi drivers started forcing all my Skyrim textures (and ToR textures for that matter) to super low shitty res. Well... I still don't know what the setting was, but when I went in to the 3D gaming settings in the Catalyst Control Center and hit "Default" to set everything back to the defaults, the textures went back to normal.

Mind you, I hadn't screwed with ANYTHING in the driver. They borked something in one of the driver upgrades. Which, of course, have been plentiful lately. Now, things aren't COMPLETELY normal; when I go into the 'pause' menu, all the game graphics start flashing yellow. When I unpause it goes back to normal, but I assume this is Crossfire related(?).

Chalk me down to somebody who is going nVidia for my next upgrade. It takes a lot to get me annoyed enough with a piece of hardware to start raging, but ATi broke my patience this fall.

Dizzy-4U

Testing the new nvidia drivers. I'm running with a LOT of mods like injector, textures, smoke and embers, etc. so performance should be better for vanilla Skyrim. I use default ugrids.

My PC: I7 950 @ 4.1 - 8GB DDR3 @ 1.8 - 2 x 580GTX SLI (using stock speed for testing). 1920x1080 with everything to the max.

Field

290.36 - Min 40 FPS // Max. 60 FPS (almost locked 60 except when I look to a big city from the distance)
290.50 - Min 43 FPS // Max. 60 FPS (I'm getting some drops on the field now, weird.)

Whiterun:

290.36 - Min. 33 FPS // Max. 60 FPS (Average: 50 FPS)
290.50 - Min. 41 FPS // Max. 60 FPS

On Dragonsreach looking down to the city

290.36 - Min. 29 FPS // Max. 33 FPS
290.50 - Min. 31 FPS // Max. 35 FPS

Markarth

290.36 - Min 28 FPS // Max. 60 FPS (Average: 40 FPS)
290.50 - Min 35 FPS // Max. 60 FPS

Solitude

290.36 - Min 30 FPS // Max. 60 FPS (Average: 50 FPS)
290.50 - Min 35 FPS // Max. 60 FPS

Honestly, it doesn't feel much of an improvement for me but then again, I'm using a lot of mods. The average felt better on some places like Solitude but I'm now seeing some framerate drops on the field.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Your Dragonreach one, I get 38fps in the same location. I'm on a 2GB 6970 though so let me see what you got after I post.

2x580's eh. That's a shame that the game won't run at 60fps with them 2 beasts. Mind you I started running the game at 1650x1050 or so.

Can't wait to see how the 7990 runs this baby. Everything about that card shows great promise.

Gotta add them new NV drivers to the OP.

spirity

It can sometimes mean that.

I made the switch just recently, went from a hd4850 to a 560ti. I got my 4850 because at the time they represented a pretty good bang per buck. But I always kinda liked Nvidia, having used them ever since the demise of 3dfx, so I was glad to come back to the green team.

Unfortunately, it seems nvidia's the drivers are not without their problems too. There's an issue that cropped up since the 28X.XX drivers, for more info see here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65161

Its supposedly partially fixed in the new drivers, and will be fully resolved in the first set to come out after Christmas. Oddly, it only affects me when I'm browsing the web. It's not a huge problem, and it doesn't affect everyone, but it is aggravating.

LiquidMetal14

Mine feels practically the same as well, bit disappointing.

Maybe it's placebo or your CPU holding you back.

I know when the first set of 11.11 drivers hit, I did notice an increase. Minimal in heavy locations but more in the lesser "intensive" parts. In this game, it can't even decide when it wants to be demanding and has the oddest slowdowns at times. Stupid grid loading.

On this whole GPU discussion, I think no one should overlook the new 7900 series coming. ATI is making some serious advancements in power use alone. I've had both and have settled on my 6970 due to cost but get near 580 performance and in a few cases, exceed that. It's not really a wash as many want to make it be. That being said, I may swing either way but that 7990 at 3w idle is potentially amazing.

leng jai

Running an overclocked 570 and a 2500k @ 4ghz.

To be honest my game runs at 60fps 90% of the time anyway. My framerate was exactly the same looking down at Whiterun from Dragonreach.

LiquidMetal14

Running an overclocked 570 and a 2500k @ 4ghz.

To be honest my game runs at 60fps 90% of the time anyway. My framerate was exactly the same looking down at Whiterun from Dragonreach.

The cities are inexplicable. I know, there seems to be more complex geometry there but the fact that the CPU determines my FPS and not my GPU, that be a problem. I just got mine to 4.7ghz btw. Are you on stock cooling?

Jubbly

Honestly, it doesn't feel much of an improvement for me but then again, I'm using a lot of mods. The average felt better on some places like Solitude but I'm now seeing some framerate drops on the field.

The nvidia story I linked earlier specifically says that the main benefits will be in indoor locations, not outdoor ones.

Dizzy-4U

Your Dragonreach one, I get 38fps in the same location. I'm on a 2GB 6970 though so let me see what you got after I post.

2x580's eh. That's a shame that the game won't run at 60fps with them 2 beasts. Mind you I started running the game at 1650x1050 or so.

Can't wait to see how the 7990 runs this baby. Everything about that card shows great promise.
I get the same exact performance using one card or SLI. It's so sad.

The nvidia story I linked earlier specifically says that the main benefits will be in indoor locations, not outdoor ones.
That seems to be the case. Maybe it's a placebo effect but I think I'm getting less stuttering too.

LiquidMetal14

Catalyst 12.1 preview drivers added to the OP. I knew these were out there but after letting things simmer, I can advise these to be good for 6900 series users at least.

Durante

Regarding the GPU discussion, I've used GPUs from all the major manufacturers, but at this point in time, unless you're hard up on cash or need to drive 3+ displays, I think NV is the better choice. The whole software ecosystem around Nvidia Enhancer, and the usually better/faster driver support for new games makes up for the small performance/dollar drawback.

Right. If the CPU was rendering the shadows you'd have the game running at 5fps.
Closer to 5spf. I still want to know how that stupid rumor started.

LiquidMetal14

I can confirm that there is an additional fps boost while using 12.1. I have a 2GB 6970 so anyone with that line or just up to trying regardless, link is in the OP.

Damn man, it seems to me that while using the Post Process Injectors or whatever that the game doesn't seem to want to work in Crossfire any more and I'm not getting such good frame rates any more?

I'm not sure... it could be a problem with my mods now that the game has been updated, overall I'm really not too sure :/

coopolon

Damn man, it seems to me that while using the Post Process Injectors or whatever that the game doesn't seem to want to work in Crossfire any more and I'm not getting such good frame rates any more?

I'm not sure... it could be a problem with my mods now that the game has been updated, overall I'm really not too sure :/

Oh man, if it's one of your 150 mods it's going a pain in the ass to pinpoint which one!

Demon Ice

Banned
My next video card is going to be nvidia. I just always feel like I'm sitting on the sidelines with my ATI card watching new drivers and utilities come out all the time.

Same. I was always an Nvidia user until this past upgrade, but I miss the driver support. Next upgrade I'm going back to Nvidia unless they really fuck up the launch.

JohngPR

Please help out someone that's a novice when it comes to tweaking.

For whatever reason the game won't let me change my graphical settings. I can move and change the numbers, but when I play the game it's still set to the same settings despite what the settings menu says.

I have Mod Organizer installed and have SkyUI enabled with SKSE installed as well. I have the Serious and 2K HD texture updates but they aren't enabled.

Anyone come across this?

EDIT: My setups is

Phenom X4 955 Black Edition
4GB
HD 5770

Here is a pretty much complete showing of my mods.

I also just discovered the NeoGAF Chrome Extensions.

SO GOOD.
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

There a bunch that aren't really being utilized. I would show my Mod Organizer list but I can't show the whole lot in one row and this was easier.

I think most of them are pretty worthwhile mods.

Here are a few of my favorite pics :)

le9fs.jpg

aVOjD.jpg

sb6Ys.jpg

jnMda.jpg

zxap9.jpg

uhv8w.jpg

JpJXr.jpg

yMraE.jpg

xkdwh.jpg

XtremeRampage

Neo Member
Still having the random disappearing objects and textures bugs or glitches (just recently the lockpick keyhole interface texture and wooden platforms on Riften). I've tried asking in Beth board to no avail. Anyone have any suggestion on how to eradicate these nuisances?

Where is that?
I think that's one of the dungeons related to a certain city-related quest.

Jtrizzy

Downloading this off steam right now. I have a slightly OC'd 580, and a 2600k@4.2, any recommendations on settings etc?

Maybe I shouldn't ask this here either, but...I've never really played an RPG before. Any basic advice? I'm assuming based on this games popularity that it isn't too overly complex, but I really don't have a clue when it comes to RPG's.

XtremeRampage

Neo Member
Maybe I shouldn't ask this here either, but...I've never really played an RPG before. Any basic advice? I'm assuming based on this games popularity that it isn't too overly complex, but I really don't have a clue when it comes to RPG's.
There are basic guides which automatically popped-up on screen in the game to help you explain some of the gameplay.

Dmax3901

So I haven't played Skyrim in ages, what are the best texture mods at the moment?

I have the barrel/furniture one, and just got the better spell impacts which look pretty cool.

Suggestions?

vaelic

Banned
It can sometimes mean that.

I made the switch just recently, went from a hd4850 to a 560ti. I got my 4850 because at the time they represented a pretty good bang per buck. But I always kinda liked Nvidia, having used them ever since the demise of 3dfx, so I was glad to come back to the green team.

Unfortunately, it seems nvidia's the drivers are not without their problems too. There's an issue that cropped up since the 28X.XX drivers, for more info see here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65161

Its supposedly partially fixed in the new drivers, and will be fully resolved in the first set to come out after Christmas. Oddly, it only affects me when I'm browsing the web. It's not a huge problem, and it doesn't affect everyone, but it is aggravating.

True but nvidia resolve issues faster than amd

Oversaturated and looks like everything's been run through a sharpen filter too many times.

You could probably use more HD texture packs for those rock/dirt textures.

Kind of sad that all the popular gameplay mods make the game even easier and more broken. Try this one instead:

http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4281
http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=819

Dammit - the imgur auto uploader that the Chrome plugin used jpg'd the shit outta the images, they look crappy as, that's what makes them look so shoddy, the JPEG compression
LLShC.gif

Jtrizzy

Damn. 1.8 gig patch after downloading the game. I was getting giant red triangles everywhere but hopefully this fixes that.

Top Bottom