• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Grassy

I can confirm that there is an additional fps boost while using 12.1. I have a 2GB 6970 so anyone with that line or just up to trying regardless, link is in the OP.

I have the same card and I'm running 11.11c right now which seem ok, but I'll give the 12.1 drivers a shot.

Downloading this off steam right now. I have a slightly OC'd 580, and a 2600k@4.2, any recommendations on settings etc?

You should be fine on Ultra settings, maybe with shadows turned down to High. I have a 6970 and a 2600k @ 4.4 and I hit 60 fps most of the time out in the open, cities can be anywhere from 30-60fps though. 1080p btw.

You probably want to up your uGrids count to 7 as well, there is a guide in the OP and plenty of other tweaks you can try for more eye-candy seeing as you have a pretty beefy pc.

Erethian

New version of SkyUI is out, with a number of 360 controller related fixes for those that use it.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3863

- Updated gibbed's interface extensions plugin to support the latest Skyrim version 1.3.10.0.
- Improved support for XBOX360 controller: LB/RB can now be used to change the active column, Left Stick changes the sorting order.
- Made SKSE warning message less intrusive; it's only shown once after each game restart now.
- Fixed LT/RT equip bug with XBOX360 controller.
- Fixed bug where 3D model/item card would not update in certain situations (dropping an item, charging an item, etc.).
- Removed custom fontconfig.txt to avoid font problems with other font mods, or with the Russian version of the game.
- Optimized column layout so it only shows states and information that make sense for the active category.
- Updated T3T's straight icon theme to include new inventory icons.
- Updated GreatClone's icon theme to the latest version. Now includes inventory icons as well, and category icons have been improved.
- Fixed wrong inventory icon for spell tomes.
- Various minor tweaks and fixes.

Ricker

It can sometimes mean that.

I made the switch just recently, went from a hd4850 to a 560ti. I got my 4850 because at the time they represented a pretty good bang per buck. But I always kinda liked Nvidia, having used them ever since the demise of 3dfx, so I was glad to come back to the green team.

Unfortunately, it seems nvidia's the drivers are not without their problems too. There's an issue that cropped up since the 28X.XX drivers, for more info see here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65161

Its supposedly partially fixed in the new drivers, and will be fully resolved in the first set to come out after Christmas. Oddly, it only affects me when I'm browsing the web. It's not a huge problem, and it doesn't affect everyone, but it is aggravating.

Happens to me maybe once a week...I still have to reboot though because through HDMI,when this happens,the graphics come back but I lose the sound and haven't figured out how to restart the sound without a reboot...seems ok with the latest beta drivers so far but it's so random that I'll know for sure after a week or 2(560Ti)

Hmm, SkyUI keeps tempting me but I'm very happy playing with my controller and a little reticent because it might prove hard to adapt or not very controller friendly at all (yes, I read the update makes a series of controller fixes, but still) is someone using it with a controller and can tell me how are they faring, please?

coopolon

Hmm, SkyUI keeps tempting me but I'm very happy playing with my controller and a little reticent because it might prove hard to adapt or not very controller friendly at all (yes, I read the update makes a series of controller fixes, but still) is someone using it with a controller and can tell me how are they faring, please?

With this newest patch it's amazing (it was pretty great for controllers before btw, just not this good).

They fixed assigning weapons with RT/LT, so now you lose nothing using SkyUI and you gain the ability to see way more at once (items, and information about items), you can sort items by name, weight, value, damage, armor, or v/w (when you've selected the value column, click one of the sticks to change it to v/w - I can't remember which stick).

I am really impressed with their efforts to make this as good of a controller experience as possible.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I just want to say that the new LAA patch has solidified Skyrim as my GOTY. The last two nights have been uninterrupted gaming bliss.

With this newest patch it's amazing (it was pretty great for controllers before btw, just not this good).

They fixed assigning weapons with RT/LT, so now you lose nothing using SkyUI and you gain the ability to see way more at once (items, and information about items), you can sort items by name, weight, value, damage, armor, or v/w (when you've selected the value column, click one of the sticks to change it to v/w - I can't remember which stick).

I am really impressed with their efforts to make this as good of a controller experience as possible.

Thanks, I'll give it a try this afternoon then, I know it will most likely be an improvement but old habits die hard.

coopolon

Thanks, I'll give it a try this afternoon then, I know it will most likely be an improvement but old habits die hard.

Have you looked into remapping the gamepad controls? There are multiple options out there, but having the ability to have 9 hotkeys, quicksave/quickload on the gamepad is pretty awesome as well.

jfkgoblue

What problems is it giving you? If it saying file does not exist when downloading, you can either keep trying or wait an hour or so.

If it's giving you an error while installing, try restarting NMM.

Well version 1.0 worked fine, but when I try to update it gives me this during installation...
erro.jpg

I searched the error and someone said downloading manually and adding to NMM from file fixed it for them, but that didn't work for me...

have also tried restarting NMM and re-downloading and and then restarting my computer, but none of that has worked

gblues

Banned
I wouldn't get too attached to the mod managers because when the creation kit comes out it's going to bring in Steam Workshop integration and built-in mod management.

Nexus Mod Manager might be the best thing ever. Makes things SO easy.

I'm currently running:

SkyUI (amazing!)
Realistic Water Textures (minor improvement)
Immersive HUD (very good, need to work out how to configure it)
Killable Children (...)
Tytanis (a list of features would be helpful, the description is far too long)
HiRes Road Signs (yay!)
Interface Hard Coded Tweaks (thank fuck)
Serious HD Retexture Landscape (not sure I've installed it properly - literally can't notice a difference)

coopolon

I wouldn't get too attached to the mod managers because when the creation kit comes out it's going to bring in Steam Workshop integration and built-in mod management.

While I think you are right, I don't think it's a guarantee. We'll see how the modding community feels about trusting Bethesda with their mods. They are a notoriously...difficult bunch. Plus there is bound to be lots of mods that Bethesda doesn't want to be associated with (obvious ones like nude mods which some of us may not like but they are almost always the most popular mods, but others as well like killable children), so you may end up having to use a mod manager anyway. Plus, I'm not sure Bethesda can do mod management as well as the community can. There's very little Bethesda can do better than their community.

Well version 1.0 worked fine, but when I try to update it gives me this during installation...
erro.jpg

I searched the error and someone said downloading manually and adding to NMM from file fixed it for them, but that didn't work for me...

have also tried restarting NMM and re-downloading and and then restarting my computer, but none of that has worked

Hmm, I've gotten an error like that a few times but restarting NMM has always worked for me.

Durante

Even if there is some management capability, it will almost certainly suck compared to the third party alternatives, at least for heavy mod users.

Also, I see most large future mods relying on SKSE, and I'm not sure if that will ever be on Steam.

NMM is better than MO I would say, although I'm using MO I wish I had have used NMM.

I think the guide in the early pages should be updated to be pointing to NMM as the main Mod Organiser over MO as it's better integrated into all of the mods available and they can have auto update etc.

MO is still good however, and I suppose auto update isn't that crazy useful for most people, but I've got so many darn mods that it can be a bit of a pain to try and keep them up to date.

Still, it's a heck of a lot of fun though :)

Rengoku

TESV Acceleration Layer offers CPU optimization, massive possible performance increases

This patch will improve your frame rate by up to 40% in all CPU-dependent situations, i.e. especially in cities.
It works mostly by rewriting some x87 FPU code and inlining a whole ton of useless getter functions along the critical paths because the developers at Bethesda, for some reason, compiled the game without using any of the optimization flags for release builds.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/13...formance-increases-now-in-skse-plugin-format/

Anybody try this yet?

just got the Pc version but my PC is sort of shit.

So what are the console comparable settings? Just normal everything?

I figure I can start from there and tweak things as I go.

edit also I see someone made a ps3 controller icons mod. thats just dandy since I have a DS3 as my main pc controller and it can be a bit of a pain getting buttons mixed up.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ever since the latest patch, the controls on my 360 pad have gone to shit.

When I turn my viewpoint left or right, it's smooth. If I look up or down, it slightly stutters. However, if I combine any up or down with left or right at the same time, my god. MAJOR stutters. It's really bad.

It seems like some kind of controller input smoothing issue. Had anyone else noticed this? Is there an .ini or something I can tweak to remove this behavior?

I remember some patch notes saying they fixed "vertical and horizontal mouse movement independent of frame rate" or something. I'm pretty sure this is what is causing my game pad woes.

Anyone else having issues with their Y axis on 360 controller? It moves at a snail's pace. X axis works fine. It takes literally 30 seconds to look up on the Y axis.

Is it SkyUI's fault? Or is it an .ini problem?

TESV Acceleration Layer offers CPU optimization, massive possible performance increases

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/13...formance-increases-now-in-skse-plugin-format/

Anybody try this yet?

It works.

I just ran through a benchmarking section outside of Whiterun.

10 FPS boost outside.

Went into Whiterun.

Went from 40-45 FPS to 50-60 FPS.

That's right, 10-15 FPS boost, MAYBE MORE in Whiterun.

Holy shit. I recommend EVERYONE install this!!! The performance boost is HUGE.

Edit: Running around Whiterun... at over 60 FPS. I have my FPS limited. I should unlock it and see how high it goes. This really, really works. And I'm running a 4.5 Ghz 2500k, so I'm sure it works wonders on weaker CPU's.

Anybody try this yet?

Weak CPU here (e7200). Definite, huge improvement. Minimum FPS in Markath is now 26 up from 15ish, generally over 35. Just did a quick tour of all the cities, and all the problem ones are way smoother now.

(Will probably be even better when I load Skyrim to actually play it, without loads of Flash bullshit and Tweetdeck in the background.)

dino1980

How do you guys get it to work?

Have downloaded following;

1. SKSE 1.04 and placed the .dll files and .exe file in skyrim root folder.
2. Started the skse.exe file and the game started.
3. Downloaded tesval 1.3.10.0
4. Made the following folder in skyrim\data\ ->SKSE\Plugins
5. Placed the Tesval.dll from tesval 1.3.10.0 in the folder skyrim\data\SKSE\Plugins\
6. Started fraps
7. Started the skse.exe file.
8. Got the same 35fps as before in the center town of the world.

How do you guys get it to work?

Have downloaded following;

1. SKSE 1.04 and placed the .dll files and .exe file in skyrim root folder.
2. Started the skse.exe file and the game started.
3. Downloaded tesval 1.3.10.0
4. Made the following folder in skyrim\data\ ->SKSE\Plugins
5. Placed the Tesval.dll from tesval 1.3.10.0 in the folder skyrim\data\SKSE\Plugins\
6. Started fraps
7. Started the skse.exe file.
8. Got the same 35fps as before in the center town of the world.

SKSE 1.04.02, right?

Also, go to other parts of town. You're only CPU limited in CERTAIN places.

dino1980

@dino:
My skse_loader.exe says "0.1.4.2"

Checked mine is also 0.1.4.2

If I stand by the steps leading up to dragonreach and look down at the town... then I will get around 35fps. But I get alot more 60fps.

Outside in the plains I get around 40-60fps. But I have a hard time seeing the big boost.

I would love a mod to make the flame cloak effect more subtle, it's seriously pissing me off constantly uglying the game up. I know I could just not use it but it's a very good spell!

Erethian

Another "it works" post. 10-15 fps boost. Tried it out in Windhelm, Whiterun, and Markarth.

Bethesda obviously developer of the year. I swear they just throw a bunch of random code together and hope it makes a working game.

We can only hope that like the improvements brought about by making the game LAA, they decide to "borrow" this idea and implement it in a future patch. The guy is even making the source freely available.

You guys found a way to get rid of the shadow flickering? been bothering me for some time now and I finally decided to give it a go, tried some .ini tweak guides but it keeps flickering and it's getting annoying.

By the way tried the FPS boost patch and it works, definitely good a few more FPS in the Solitude marketplace.

Spat_triate

Bethesda's modding community is crazy talented. I really hope that some of these guys get hired because they obviously aren't lacking dedication to the series.

Ashodin

I'm having an absolutely crazy problem with the audio in Skyrim - the music is unbearably loud, and will not obey the commands in the sound configuration menu.

It's not the problem with the type of KHZ of my sound, I've changed it back and forth and nothing happens.

Is there a setting I could force to turn it down lower in settings or the console? It's impacting my experience when I talk to enemies and the music is blaring over the voice over.

Phandy

Anyone had problems running SKSE and then fixing it.
I'm doing exactly what I need to do, but it just doesnt seem to work. The SkyUI mod is letting me know thats its not running. Also explains why this CPU fix gives me exactly 0 fps increase.

Anyone got any ideas. The skyrim loader seems to run ok, no errors, just loads of the little cmd box then instantly loads skyrim. But apparently its not running :S

Edit:
I checked the SKSE.log and it says that it loaded fine and the two DLLs loaded fine aswell. But obviously it hasnt since skyui says it hasnt.
So wierd :S

Top Bottom