• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
40 fresh Skyrim PC screenshots

Skyrim-screenshots-07.jpg

Skyrim-screenshots-06.jpg

Skyrim-screenshots-14.jpg

Skyrim-screenshots-16.jpg

Skyrim-screenshots-17.jpg

Skyrim-screenshots-22.jpg

Skyrim-screenshots-23.jpg

Skyrim-screenshots-35.jpg

Skyrim-screenshots-Thumbnail.jpg

many more here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/10/4...el=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
thefil said:
Interested in INI tweaking. You can disable the mouse acceleration via Documents/My Games/Skyrim/SkyrimPrefs.ini, but I haven't heard of anything for FOV yet (except the console).

Also, I'm playing on a 2.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo and Radeon HD 4770 at 1920 x 1200 at High settings with the AA turned down to 2x and the draw distances all turned up. Got 30+ frames through the opening of the game.

Oh wow. So my i7 920 and 1GB 4870 should have no problem playing at high setting too?

Midou

ATI 5870 1gb, default clock
4gb ram
AMD 955 3.2 ghz

Ultra settings, medium far away detail, FXAA on.

Running smooth. 4x AA, 16x AF.

No KB+M issues, maybe people don't realize you can use WASD in all those menus, and push the direction twice.

Wallach

Durante said:
I'm quite certain we'll have screenshots that look infinitely better in the screenshot thread ~ 4 hours from now.

Please god, make the AA-less and Steam-compressed screenshots stop.

Kunohara

I've got a E8400 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM
Geforce Ti 560 1GB

Think I can run this at ultra, or is my cpu gonna prevent that? Can it run on high with good framerates at least? I'm tempted to get the 360 version for the big screen, but if I can run this on high, I'd rather get the PC master race version.

NBtoaster

Why would you want to use D3DOverider anyway. The in-game v synch is triple buffering by default.

Has anyone found a way to increase shadow resolution? The values in the ini fles only seem to affect shadows cast from ambient light in dungeons. Everything is criminally low res.

coopolon

Posting 10 MB .bmp's is a bit unnecessary I think, especially outside of the screenshot thread. At least thumbnail them.

bengraven

My god, those pics.

What the HELL were Bethesda afraid of that they couldn't show us the obviously superior PC version?!

Derrick01

Banned
NBtoaster said:
Why would you want to use D3DOverider anyway. The in-game v synch is triple buffering by default.

Has anyone found a way to increase shadow resolution? The values in the ini fles only seem to affect shadows cast from ambient light in dungeons. Everything is criminally low res.

Normally when you turn off vsync in game and use d3d for that and TB you get the benefits of vsync without the performance hit. But we're in Bethesda world now so everything's topsy turvy.

Hmmm. I really hope my PC can get the most out of this game, particularly since I had to get a new PSU for it after the last one died.
Phenom II X4 955@3.2ghz,
GTX480 with 1.5GB Ram,
8GB DDR3 1333mhz Ram. Probably go for 1080p, 2xAA, 16AF and most sliders at high or max (will need to tinker with them). Would like 60fps but I'll settle for 40-ish. Hopefully no stutter when turning quickly.
Will happily replace the textures with higher res ones when a mod is done though.

iNvid02

3chopl0x said:
Screenshots you say? 10MB .bmp files incoming

http://i.minus.com/iuLty1AWDanHR.bmp

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iDp0edvU6AUrt.bmp

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iiQD8E0V6TxHU.bmp

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/idvmwPflGEy5q.bmp

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibmJr9TKADUTDv.bmp[/QUOTE]

why would you post 50mb of bmps? convert them to jpeg in photoshop
or use abload to auto convert to png after upload.

yes this is coming from the guy who put 25mb of images in an ot

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
You can disable the game's vsync by adding iPresentInterval=0 to the bottom of the [Display] section of the Skyrim.ini file in the \Users\[Username]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory. I'm using d3doverrider just fine.

Rekubot

isoku said:
You can disable the game's vsync by adding iPresentInterval=0 to the bottom of the [Display] section of the Skyrim.ini file in the \Users\[Username]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory. I'm using d3doverrider just fine.
Which gives the better framerate? Skyrim Vsync or D3DOverrider?

trw

Jubbly said:
Uggh, he has a local problem, it's fine.

I have the same problem. Worst was in the menu where you made your character where the mouse just stopped working halfway through. Something is wrong with the menus. You're lucky that it works for you because the ui is really destroying my enjoyment of the game.

You know, I'm OK with games having bad default settings on the PC as long as they give the gamer the tools to fix it through an ingame console and .ini file tweaks. It's when games like MW3 and Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood on PC start to take those settings away that I start to get my tits in a twist.

I'm bookmarking all of this shit for when I want to tweak it. I'm assuming the default console key is just ~ right?

King_Moc

Banned
Doesn't look amazing, but decent for an openworld game of this scope. Does make me wonder what that recommended 4gb of RAM is for though.

When's this unlock on Steam in the UK? Is it midnight or does daylight savings or whatever change anything? So unfair, i have the disc and everything. Xbox friends are all playing it :(

Irish

So, with an i5 2500k, 4 gigs RAM (can't remember if it is DDR3 or not), and a GTS 250, will I at least be able to get it to look and run as well as it would on consoles?

Salaadin

So just pulling this from the original interview regarding SKyrim PC:

9) Can we have some specifics about the PC version of the game? How will it's UI be different? Will there be a 64-bit executable?
Todd: 64-bit specific exe? Not at this time. As far as UI, it visually looks the same across the platforms, but the controls are entirely different. There’s also a lot of “power user” stuff we do with the keyboard from how favorites work, to quick saves, and more that is similar to what we’ve done before in that area. We’re packing a lot of info on the screen and the whole interface is much less ‘look at giant fonts!’ than, say, Oblivion. The PC version also gets higher res textures, larger render modes, and a bunch of other effects you can scale up if your machine is a beast. Last but most important, is the Creation Kit we’ll be releasing for the PC. Modding the game and making it your own is very important to us and our fans, so we’re going to keep doing whatever we can in that area.

Is none of that true or could there be a day 1 patch that we just havent seen yet because its not 11/11/11?

ACE 1991

Salaadin said:
So just pulling this from the original interview regarding SKyrim PC:

Is none of that true or could there be a day 1 patch that we just havent seen yet because its not 11/11/11?
Wow, I didn't realize todd Howard said all that.

Durante

When Todd talks about all the things the PC version is getting, what he actually means is what we're getting once modders come around to doing it.

Anyway, I can't really be too upset about Bethesda as long as they continue to fully support modding.

Social

nvidia GTX 285
i7 950 @ 3.07 ghz processor
12 GB ram

The game is running GREAT. Compared to the 360 version, this is night and day, oh my!
It loads very fast now, where my xbox press copy took a lot of seconds to load a world map location.

The graphics are turned up to very high numbers. If I max it out, it runs ok but a little bit slower. Still very very playable though. I decided to lower the settings just a tiny bit so I get a solid fps everywhere.

It's amazing : )

People talking about the official recommended settings, realize that recommended no longer means "for best quality". They are the minimum settings that the developer thinks will provide a decent game experience (which used to be minimum settings). To get a decent framerate with the settings set to high, you will need a beefier rig than the recommended system.

Esch

Banned
my 1gb GT240M won't be up to scratch i'm afraid :(((

Oh well, i should still be able to get solid visuals since my res is capped at 768 by my screen at least.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So, 3,3ghz phenom black, 4 gigs ram, hd6850 - yay or nay or probablyokayonmediumsettings?

Top Bottom