• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

TheExodu5 said:
I noticed an issue using the 360 pad on PC.

Look straight up.

Time how long it takes to look straight down. Takes 4-5 seconds.
Time how long it takes to look straight up. Takes about half that time.

Why on Earth can I look down faster than I can look up?
A lot of people on the Bethesda forum are complaining about the vertical and horizontal mouse sensitivities being F-ed up. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that it was connected to this even with a controller.

Gvaz said:
No hotkeys, they have favorites instead. It's shitty.

So it takes 2-3 seconds to swap weapons/magic etc using a 360 controller but that is considered normal? Why the hell did they get rid of the 8 way d-pad selection used in Oblivion, it worked so much better.

So If I use a bow and shoot an enemy, I have to pause the game by going into the favourites menu to change to some close range weapons...this is frustrating.

Gvaz

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:
So it takes 2-3 seconds to swap weapons/magic etc using a 360 controller but that is considered normal? Why the hell did they get rid of the 8 way d-pad selection used in Oblivion, it worked so much better.

So If I use a bow and shoot an enemy, I have to pause the game by going into the favourites menu to change to some close range weapons...this is frustrating.
I'm glad at least it's not just people using the keyboard who're having issues.

Haunted

Getting a Bethesda game on day 1, lol.

Just wait for the first 3-4 patches to hit, by then the modding community has stepped up and fixed the rest, as well as make the UI usable.

Same as always, fellas. :D

I just upgraded my cpu and ram. Went from an old core2duo 3.2ghz (e6600) to an i5 2500k (plan to OC once I get my h60 cooler). 6gb ram to 16 mothafuckin gb of ram. My only worry now is my gpu which is a 4850. Think I will be able to run this on most high settings on a 1280x1024 res?

I do plan to upgrade my GPU either by a great sale coming up on black friday/cyber monday or just waiting for the next gen of cards.

tch

Labombadog said:
I just upgraded my cpu and ram. Went from an old core2duo 3.2ghz (e6600) to an i5 2500k (plan to OC once I get my h60 cooler). 6gb ram to 16 mothafuckin gb of ram. My only worry now is my gpu which is a 4850. Think I will be able to run this on most high settings on a 1280x1024 res?

I also have a 4850 (but a worse CPU) and am wondering what it can pull off

Dmax3901

Wallach said:
Hit Q, highlight a thing, then push the number you want to assign it to.

Yeah, it takes a while to get used to, but it works in the end. I'm enjoying the fuck out of the game yo.

TheExodu5

Banned
What the hell? I'm passed the beginning tutorial dungeon and just got to the open outdoors...and the mouse seems better. Am I just imagining things? The lag seems to be gone.

I'm probably just adapting to it or something...

Dmax3901

TheExodu5 said:
What the hell? I'm passed the beginning tutorial dungeon and just got to the open outdoors...and the mouse seems better. Am I just imagining things? The lag seems to be gone.

I'm probably just adapting to it or something...

Could be something to do with the slightly on rails nature of the intro?

Reuenthal

Banned
I am playing 50-60 FPS anywhere with my 9800 gtx and E8400. Using the autodetected medium settings and autodetected 1080P resolution. I will probably not change the settings since IIRC tectures are on high and some other things are lower and the game has a good FPS/ graphics combination, why go lower on FPS. That is for the short while. On the long term there will probably be a guide out on how to maximize FPS/visuals combination.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dmax3901 said:
Could be something to do with the slightly on rails nature of the intro?

Nope...I'm seeing it now. When I'm getting 60fps, it's easy to notice the mouse lag. For some reason, when I'm getting ~50fps, I don't notice it as much. I guess it's just in my head.

Realyn

No its the game. In the first city, theres only 1 shop where you can buy stuff. In there I had mouse lags as well. Maybe shadows or AA, dont know.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
With all this talk about terrible kb/m controls, I think I might just hook up the 360 controller and play this on my TV.

Dmax3901

TheExodu5 said:
Nope...I'm seeing it now. When I'm getting 60fps, it's easy to notice the mouse lag. For some reason, when I'm getting ~50fps, I don't notice it as much. I guess it's just in my head.

Bizarre.

I just spotted this in the SkyrimPrefs.ini:

iWaterMultiSamples=0
iMultiSample=0

Seems like this would be better turned on?

Zefah said:
With all this talk about terrible kb/m controls, I think I might just hook up the 360 controller and play this on my TV.
It takes some really janky and unfixable M+KB controls to get me to play a game with a controller. Like, Assassin's Creed 2 bad.

Atilac

I'm hoping to run this on ultra settings, x4 aa, at 1600x900.

I have AMD phenom 2 955 BE at stock, 4gigs of ram, and an ATI 4890.

What are the chances it will?

Karak

TheExodu5 said:
Also, as far as I can tell, modifying values in SkyrimPrefs.ini doesn't do anything...I think you have to do it in Skyrim.ini.
Wait what? We need to do the changes in the unrelated.ini file versus the one that is noted in the Bethesda tweaks thread?

TheExodu5

Banned
Default:
notree.png

bTreeReceiveShadows=1:
yestree.png

Seriously, turn this on in SkyrimPrefs.ini. It makes the game look much better. Turn on bDrawLandShadows=1 as well, though it's impact is less noticeable.

Karak said:
Wait what? We need to do the changes in the unrelated.ini file versus the one that is noted in the Bethesda tweaks thread?

Sorry, disregard what I said. It seems the vsync option only works in Skyrim.ini, but the other options seem to work in SkyrimPrefs.ini.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wallach said:
Hm, I'll check it out via FRAPS tonight. Fuck I hate time zones.

Hey are you using MSAA or FXAA in those shots?

Just MSAA. I haven't tried it with FXAA yet. I'd be curious to see the improvements on the foliage. Maybe I'll try to get a shot up.

Also, I'm playing with fov 80. Seems to be a comfortable number.

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:
Just MSAA. I haven't tried it with FXAA yet. I'd be curious to see the improvements on the foliage. Maybe I'll try to get a shot up.

Yeah, from those shots that's exactly what I was thinking.

Zaphod

3chopl0x said:
If you want better performance turn down shadows, they seriously fucked up them up.

I have a 4850 and that is my first step in setting up a game. Shadows set low by default, other settings go higher than recommended, then I tweak. This thing sucks at shadows.

I too am wondering about the 4850 performance. Fallout 3 NV and Oblivion run pretty well on but after Rage I am a bit gun shy on buying a PC game on launch. I have the time off so I am buying this game day one, but the reports of the 360 texture bug are pushing me towards the PC version now.

Wallach said:
Hit Q, highlight a thing, then push the number you want to assign it to.

Oh man, what to do. Play with the 360 controller which I'm more comfortable with or use the keyboard so I have hot keys? I don't know how other people aren't complaining about this with regards to 360 controls, it takes ages for each fight if you like to swticth attacking styles. Do you think keyboard and 360 control use will be added via mod so we can use them at the same time?

Also you can fully turn off the hud if you turn the hud opacity right down.

Top Bottom