• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Run games on laptop hooked up to my TV. What kind of performance could I expect. Does Skyrim favor Nvidia?

Asus G73JW
i7 740q
GTX 460m
4gb Ram
Win7 64bit

Plan on running it at 720p. I could get 60fps with Oblivion and Fallout on High pretty consistantly @ that resolution.

Thanks again GAF!

AgentOtaku said:
Run games on laptop hooked up to my TV. What kind of performance could I expect. Does Skyrim favor Nvidia?

Asus G73JW
i7 740q
GTX 460m
4gb Ram
Win7 64bit

Plan on running it at 720p

Thanks again GAF!

Will run excellent. I had a similar G73.

Sethos

Banned
Top image looks so much better. People have to remember, this is a cold place as well. Imagine a cold mist that just covers everything, gives it that bleak look. Hate how crushing blacks and just ramping up saturation in every game has just become the "Oh let's improve it!" norm.

Ledsen

InertiaXr said:
I've never seen trees in my life that look anywhere near closer to the top image than the bottom. Look up what evergreen trees actually look like. The grey in the top image is overwhelming, but at least you could probably say it's not as bad as Codemaster's piss filters..

Thanks, but I live in northern Sweden and see these types of trees every day. I'm not saying one way or the other about the green color of the trees, but they have horrible black crush in the lower picture and the rest of the image has an ugly tint of green on it.

fanboi

Banned
Ledsen said:
Thanks, but I live in northern Sweden and see these types of trees every day. I'm not saying one way or the other about the green color of the trees, but they have horrible black crush in the lower picture and the rest of the image has an ugly tint of green on it.

Which town in northern Sweden?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ledsen said:

I live in southeast Norway, and I agree with what you're saying. The colors on the top image is much closer to real life, and considering how Skyrim is supposed to be represent a somewhat nordic environment, much more fitting.

steeeeee said:
He did a grid version too.

Do want.

His thread.

Ok, that's the one I want, as long as the icons translate over clearly...

I suppose its a good thing the team used Flash/etc for the UI, if they can figure out the things they need to to get full UIs working, THIS IS the UI I want. Beautiful...

Watch him get hired directly for Bethesdas next game!

Nezabyte

Neo Member
There are different presets for the post injector. Choose the one with less saturation, and you're good to go. Beautiful game!

Haunted

The inventory is written in Flash and uses Scaleform, any substantial changes to it are a much more complicated and time-consuming affair than most of the other value changes/tweaks or texture replacements.

Don't expect something that looks like the artist's mockup any time soon.

L0st Id3ntity said:
FXAA Post Process Injector

Who in the world would want to go back? fuck developer's "vision" lol.
Get rid of that blueish hue and stop crushing the blacks and maybe you'd have something there. The low saturation pp injector is much more agreeable.

Aaron

The Janitor said:
You can also easily edit it yourself by opening the injFX_Settings.h file with notepad
Changing the settings makes a huge difference. I used the settings someone had worked out on the nexus comments section and they are a great improvement over the default. Makes the colors pop without being overwhelming, doesn't crush the blacks... still has the blue hue, but I like that personally. It makes the snowy and icy areas look amazing.

So I went to my brother in laws place tonight and booted up Skyrim on his PS3...ummm it wasn't even equivalent to low on PC and I'm being serious, there is no way I could play it like that.

For those that hate that stupid middle of the screen overhead camera when fighting in third person (like myself), here's the Camera settings to make it stay where you put it when you draw your sword. There was a mod released recently that gives the Camera settings, so my brother and I took it and messed with the settings until we got it. Just put those in the Skyrim.ini under My Games. Thanks to the creator of this mod (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=528) because otherwise I wouldn't have known what to type to mess with the camera.

[Camera]
fOverShoulderCombatAddY=0.0000
fOverShoulderCombatPosZ=-10.0000
fOverShoulderCombatPosX=30.0000
fOverShoulderPosZ=-10.0000
fOverShoulderPosX=30.0000

Haunted

Sutton Dagger said:
So I went to my brother in laws place tonight and booted up Skyrim on his PS3...ummm it wasn't even equivalent to low on PC and I'm being serious, there is no way I could play it like that.
Just don't show the PC version to him and he should be fine. As far as console versions of Bethesda games are concerned, ignorance is bliss. At least from my experience.

inner-G

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:
Once I tried it on PC I couldn't go back to the 360 version.

InfiniDragon said:
For those that hate that stupid middle of the screen overhead camera when fighting in third person (like myself), here's the Camera settings to make it stay where you put it when you draw your sword. There was a mod released recently that gives the Camera settings, so my brother and I took it and messed with the settings until we got it. Just put those in the Skyrim.ini under My Games. Thanks to the creator of this mod (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=528) because otherwise I wouldn't have known what to type to mess with the camera.

[Camera]
fOverShoulderCombatAddY=0.0000
fOverShoulderCombatPosZ=-10.0000
fOverShoulderCombatPosX=30.0000
fOverShoulderPosZ=-10.0000
fOverShoulderPosX=30.0000

I was messing with third person combat last night. It's actually a massive improvement over Oblivion and works pretty well with two handed weapons with the crosshair disabled. The only thing I disliked is that when doing finishing moves it forces you into first person mode. In first person mode it switches you into third person so I guess they were going for the same effect but its personally a bit jarring. I'll try those camera mods tonight.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmmm, so I dropped a couple settings (which I had tried previously) and ran the game yesterday without the FPS cap only to find that it now runs at 60 fps the vast majority of the time. Did they patch it or something? The performance is MUCH smoother than before and this is with most details set to Ultra (except shadows, which are just high).

goodfella

dark10x said:
Hmmm, so I dropped a couple settings (which I had tried previously) and ran the game yesterday without the FPS cap only to find that it now runs at 60 fps the vast majority of the time. Did they patch it or something? The performance is MUCH smoother than before and this is with most details set to Ultra (except shadows, which are just high).

Changing shadows from ultra to high is the only setting that makes a huge difference.

moop1167

So what's the general consensus on FXAA (the built-in version)? I have 8xMSAA on in the launcher, along with transparency multisampling and 2xSSAA enabled in Inspector. Should I even be turning on FXAA at this point? It definitely washes everything out, but it still looks like it does a better job on distance foliage than without it on.

Raoh

Anyone having issues where indoors (houses/caves/etc) everything, primarily npc's, sound like an echo effect is running?

The echo effect is gone when switching between gameplay and menu, no other program or game does this.

L0st Id3ntity said:
FXAA Post Process Injector

before
http://h3.abload.de/img/tesv2011-11-1620-12-27lcr3.png[IMG]

after
[IMG]http://h3.abload.de/img/tesv2011-11-1800-17-5e1ck8.png[IMG]

Who in the world would want to go back? fuck developer's "vision" lol.[/QUOTE]
The first pic looks like a Swedish winter; the second does not. I vastly prefer the first pic. The colors are way overdone in the second pic.

Alright. I guess I'm just going to wait for a patch. I found a way to live with the performance issues I'm seeing:

1. Loaded up Oblivion on 360.
2. Get on my horse with horse armor (wtf were you thinking 2006 Mammoth Jones??)
3. Ride around at 10fps with constant stuttering and massive popup
4. Wonder "How the fuck did I ever enjoy this and put in 200+ hours into this"
5. Turn off Xbox and load up Skyrim on PC
6. Realize that dips into 30fps isn't so bad when it happens 10% of the time.

REV 09

i'm going to try disabling some mods when i get back to my pc. last night was a mess, game was literally crashing every 15 minutes. My first 25 hours were fine too. I've noticed the purple texture loading issue and then a crash will shortly follow. Any idea as to what is causing this?

Jubbly

moop1167 said:
So what's the general consensus on FXAA (the built-in version)? I have 8xMSAA on in the launcher, along with transparency multisampling and 2xSSAA enabled in Inspector. Should I even be turning on FXAA at this point? It definitely washes everything out, but it still looks like it does a better job on distance foliage than without it on.

Use high quality texture filtering, fixes all the long range micro detail: http://h3.abload.de/img/updatedinspectorsetti2hex9.png

SparkTR said:
For some reason Khajits and other hairy creatures are transparent. What's causing that?

Use the AA compatibility bits and associated AA settings to fix that: http://h3.abload.de/img/updatedinspectorsetti2hex9.png

Since everyone here seems to have really nice machines, I thought I'd share that I got this to run on my 27" iMac very well.

3.2Ghz Core i3,
ATI Radeon 5960 512MB RAM,
4 GB DDR2 RAM

I'm running at 720p at a mixture of high/ultra settings with a solid framerate. It's not gonna win any screenshot competitions, but it's great to be able to run this on a PC.

Sutton Dagger said:

Agree, Ps3 version looks atrocious compared to the pc, I had both and just couldnt play it on the ps3 anymore, wanted to for some trophies, sold it, horrible port, horrible.

bengraven

steeeeee said:
He did a grid version too.

4NgHv.jpg

Do want.

His thread.

Oh my god, yes please.

Bethesda, remember your PC gamers when you make UIs.

I'm surprised by how well this looks - my computer is 2-3 years old, Quad Core, 260GTX, 4GB RAM, 32-bit OS, and I can get it to run at 60FPS, Very High, 1680x1050. I'm happy!

Dizzy-4U said:
I really like how that looks. Care to share the config?

I'm using this http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=240

In the SkyrimCustomShader_Config file it comes with I set pre and post-sharpening to 0 and leave AA settings off (use skyrim's FXAA or MSAA if you don't like a fuzzy image), so this is what I changed:

bool highQualitySharpen = 0;

#define Gamma 1.18
#define Exposure 0.080
#define Saturation -0.50
#define BlueShift 0.50

float Sharpen = 0;

If you do use FXAA the sharpening might help, but if you just use MSAA it should be off.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Castor Krieg said:
I'm surprised by how well this looks - my computer is 2-3 years old, Quad Core, 260GTX, 4GB RAM, 32-bit OS, and I can get it to run at 60FPS, Very High, 1680x1050. I'm happy!

I don't get it, i got a quad core too, 8GB RAM, 64bit Windows 7 and a 560gtx-ti and i cant even get 60 FPS with details at High, 1980x1200 and i even reduced AA to 2x.

30 FPS at best and even below that in some cities like Solitude or Whiterun.

What sorcery is this?

Bisnic said:
I don't get it, i got a quad core too, 8GB RAM, 64bit Windows 7 and a 560gtx-ti and i cant even get 60 FPS with details at High, 1980x1200 and i even reduced AA to 2x.

30 FPS at best and even below that in some cities like Solitude or Whiterun.

What sorcery is this?

I'm re-installing the game now, so I will get back to you later with detailed options. But the game defaulted to Very High on first run. Maybe it's not technically 60FPS (don't have FPS count or Fraps), but for sure it's way more than 30FPS, including in places like Whiterun.

Kyaw

TheExodu5 said:
Vanilla looks a lot more natural to me. The color tweak is adding a lot of blue to the blacks.

edit: yep, just checked it in Paint. The "blacks" in the color tweaked version are 0-0-8 RGB. The blacks in vanilla are 0-0-0 RGB.

I quite liked that fantasy feeling of the vibrant colours and hues in Witcher 2 so i tried to recreate that but still leaving that coldness in the snow areas.

It's just a matter of taste I guess. There will be no definite choices.
At least it's not over saturated or black crushed.

Top Bottom