• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

I changed my ugrids back to 7 with the console commands in the OP but now it looks like some of my textures on the map and in game are missing. Any ideas?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, if I go for 4x MSAA my framerate takes a dive into the single digits. Running out of vram, I suppose?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone seen which gaffer posted the ini tweaks for the popping in of texture layers? I am getting that now and would like to fix that.

Nelo Ice

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Anyone seen which gaffer posted the ini tweaks for the popping in of texture layers? I am getting that now and would like to fix that.

Would like to kno this as well been getting pop in as well.

RooMHM said:
You mean ... with a controller? -_-
I tried every damn keyboard key but nope... I have 10 dragon souls and 2 shouts ... *sad*

With the 360 controller yes. I though that was what you're using. On the keyboard I think it's 'r' to unlock them, although it should say exactly what it is to unlock at the bottom.

Dmax3901

So here's a weird bug. I seem to have infinite mana, or at least when I cast a spell my mana doesn't go down at all. When I use a high mana cost spell it dips a little, then regens almost instantaneously. I assure you I'm not wearing/using anything that would buff me this much.

Any ideas?

LiquidMetal14

Good news is that I just turned my grass rendering up and ugrids to 7 with a buffer of 64 and the game definitely looks better with no performance hit.

Still getting layers popup in WHiterun though, want to eliminate this one fast as it's only happened for 2 days and never before then.

mik83kuu

Banned
Dmax3901 said:
So here's a weird bug. I seem to have infinite mana, or at least when I cast a spell my mana doesn't go down at all. When I use a high mana cost spell it dips a little, then regens almost instantaneously. I assure you I'm not wearing/using anything that would buff me this much.

Any ideas?
Someone said there is a temp buff you get after a quest for Mage College that is supposed to so that.

Oh my god, Large Address Aware is badass! I'm seeing a huge difference now.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
8.0GB DDR3
ATI Radeon 5870

I was getting like 30fps on ultra + .ini max tweaks but now it's 50-60 everywhere. Whiterun I'm spinning in circles pickpocketing clothes off guards except their helmets at like 60fps it's great! Thanks OP :)

Karak

LiquidMetal14 said:
Good news is that I just turned my grass rendering up and ugrids to 7 with a buffer of 64 and the game definitely looks better with no performance hit.

Still getting layers popup in WHiterun though, want to eliminate this one fast as it's only happened for 2 days and never before then.
Wait what? So am I and it litterally just began happening. What the heck is going on?!!
FOr me it also gets bad on the ruins outside the city. Its never happened before now its like VERY aggresive LOD.

Dmax3901

mik83kuu said:
Someone said there is a temp buff you get after a quest for Mage College that is supposed to so that.

Ah that'd be it, just started at the college, stupid of me not to check active effects.

LiquidMetal14

Karak said:
Wait what? So am I and it litterally just began happening. What the heck is going on?!!
I did nothing huge either. This was before messing with ugrids or anything. Whiterun was fine and now it's not everywhere but I see it and its distracting.

I will have to read back a few pages to see if someone posted about it, I know I read about some ini settings somewhere but wasn't at home to notate.

I wish I understood the uGrids thing, must have missed the post that explains it. I tried it once and it just kept crashing. Luckily I was able to get it back to the original settings.

Anyone else prefer the look of the faces naturally and not the detailed face mod? Detailed faces for me looked DOA/NG smooth faced and looked so out of place in Skyrim.....and it made my Redguard look really weird.

LiquidMetal14

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I wish I understood the uGrids thing, must have missed the post that explains it. I tried it once and it just kept crashing. Luckily I was able to get it back to the original settings.
What settings? And what have you done to your SkyrimPrefs out of curiosity? Your HW also please.

Karak

LiquidMetal14 said:
I did nothing huge either. This was before messing with ugrids or anything. Whiterun was fine and now it's not everywhere but I see it and its distracting.

I will have to read back a few pages to see if someone posted about it, I know I read about some ini settings somewhere but wasn't at home to notate.
I will too. Post it if you find it. I swear I hadn't messed with anything and ended up going to dinner, reloaded it and...it started. I mean its BAD in whiterun.

RooMHM

Bungieware said:
With the 360 controller yes. I though that was what you're using. On the keyboard I think it's 'r' to unlock them, although it should say exactly what it is to unlock at the bottom.
bloodforge said:
R unlocks the shouts with keyboard.
Okay I've found what didn't work. You can't properly bind mouse keys other than mouse 1 2 & 3. I'm using Logitech 510 and binding mouse 4 and 5 works like shit. First you can't hold the buttons for whatever reasons and second it totally fucks up the in-menu binds. Puting sheathe back to "R" allowed me to unlock shouts.

Bethesda you're so full of shit with your shameful console port. And the game is really good too ... fuck sakes.

Karak

Durante said:
iPresentInterval=0
bMouseAcceleration=0

(see OP for where to put it)

The above settings completely eliminate mouse lag. Playing with a controller "helps" input lag by being such a bad input device that you don't notice lag as much :p
Nope its proven that it 100% does NOT eliminate it for all.

TheExodu5 said:
Vanilla looks a lot more natural to me. The color tweak is adding a lot of blue to the blacks.

edit: yep, just checked it in Paint. The "blacks" in the color tweaked version are 0-0-8 RGB. The blacks in vanilla are 0-0-0 RGB.
People need to calibrate their goddamn displays if they think this game is washed out.

Karak

LiquidMetal14 said:

This is going to sound wierd but one of the people I am helping on another forum is having it and the ONLY tweak he has done...at all, is to change ugridstoload around then reset them. Once he reset them to 5 even if he goes higher or lower or leaves it...this popup is now occurring. He didn't even get a chance to change vsync or anything.

This is with his savegames. He is going to start a whole new game and see. I don't see how that could occur or cause this unless something else occurs behind the scenes when ugridstoload is used.

Did anyone post this?

I believe this is a mock-up UI this guy is planning on doing? Not quite sure of the details...

All I can say is FUCK YES - it does have a somewhat "web-page" feel to it. But it addresses a lot of the issues I'm having with the UI right now, and houses a lot of information that is nice to see.

Thoughts?

LvUlP.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Did anyone post this?

I believe this is a mock-up UI this guy is planning on doing? Not quite sure of the details...

All I can say is FUCK YES -

Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/LvUlP.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
I have no idea what level you get this stuff. I keep starting over around level 21 but even at that level I still very very rarely get anything higher than Steel quality. I think I have one Dwarven piece.

How do you check your framerate in game? I have a 560 Ti set to Ultra high with shadows turned down and the game is 100% playable and consistently better framerate than my 360, but I wouldnt' be surprised if I'm not pulling 60 but somewhere between 30 and 60.

Angry Grimace said:
I have no idea what level you get this stuff. I keep starting over around level 21 but even at that level I still very very rarely get anything higher than Steel quality. I think I have one Dwarven piece.

How do you check your framerate in game? I have a 560 Ti set to Ultra high with shadows turned down and the game is 100% playable and consistently better framerate than my 360, but I wouldnt' be surprised if I'm not pulling 60 but somewhere between 30 and 60.

Misquote?

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Did anyone post this?

All I can say is FUCK YES - it does have a somewhat "web-page" feel to it. But it addresses a lot of the issues I'm having with the UI right now, and houses a lot of information that is nice to see.

Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/LvUlP.jpg
looking good, I hope its going to be released

I know this is simple, but I couldn't stand the blocky faces anymore No More Blocky Faces

Nezabyte

Neo Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I wish! He's just providing some ideas for people planning on modding the UI. Don't get your hopes up...seems like they're running into all sorts of problems, and Bethesda has decided they aren't releasing any source files for the UI.

Nezabyte said:
I wish! He's just providing some ideas for people planning on modding the UI. Don't get your hopes up...seems like they're running into all sorts of problems, and Bethesda has decided they aren't releasing any source files for the UI.

Ah, where'd you hear that?

I thought the UI was just ActionScript/Flash, etc, people are already messing with it from what I know.

Nezabyte said:
You can follow the current convo over here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1275750-modding-the-gui/

Apparently Bethesda's UI dev has been helping out with questions, and he's also the one that mentioned that no source files would be provided.

I have read some of that, but the files that are needed to mod are already available, people will just need to figure out some tricks to get it working properly...

Or that's what I gather from skimming/reading the first post...

LiquidMetal14

Started getting some weird random things like the ini going back to default settings or the game auto detecting HW and resetting my ini. Now Steam won't launch the game on some boot ups and I have to reboot. This is been an issue that just started today too.

Hawk269

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Did anyone post this?

Thoughts?

LvUlP.jpg

That looks cool. But I hope those making these mods take into consideration those of us that play some PC games with a controller. Skyrim plays amazing well with a control pad.

sh4mike

I made an A-shift modification to one of the 360 pad hotkey templates if anyone is interested. Diagonals just weren't cutting it for hotkeys. This feels really nice to me -- still hoping there will come options to bind multiple items to a single hotkey and specify left/right hand.

1) Here are the changes from default gamepad settings.

Wait=A+Back
Favorites=Back
Hotkey 1 = d-pad up
Hotkey 2 = d-pad right
Hotkey 3 = d-pad down
Hotkey 4 = d-pad left
Hotkey 5 = A + d-pad up
Hotkey 6 = A + d-pad right
Hotkey 7 = A + d-pad down
Hotkey 8 = A + d-pad left

2) Base template: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=332#content

*note: current release has 2 buggy lines of code -- remove these lines under "Favorites" if present

LeftEquip 0xff !0,Left Attack/Block !0,Left Attack/Block 0 0 0 0x8
RightEquip 0xff !0,Right Attack/Block !0,Right Attack/Block 0 0 0 0x8

3) Insert and replace my edits below:

// Main Gameplay
Forward 0x11 0xff 0xff 1 1 0 0x801
Back 0x1f 0xff 0xff 1 1 0 0x801
Strafe Left 0x1e 0xff 0xff 1 1 0 0x801
Strafe Right 0x20 0xff 0xff 1 1 0 0x801
Move 0xff 0xff 0x000b 0 0 0 0x801
Look 0xff 0xa 0x000c 0 0 0 0x2
Left Attack/Block 0xff 0x1 0x0009 1 1 1 0x841
Right Attack/Block 0xff 0x0 0x000a 1 1 1 0x841
Activate 0x12 0xff 0x1000 1 1 1 0x804
Ready Weapon 0x14 0xff 0x4000 1 1 0 0x808
Tween Menu 0x0e 0xff 0x2000 1 1 1 0x908
Toggle POV 0x4e 0xff 0x0080 1 1 1 0x820
Zoom Out 0xff 0x9 0xff 0 0 0 0x220
Zoom In 0xff 0x8 0xff 0 0 0 0x220
Jump 0x39 0xff 0x8000 1 1 1 0xC01
Sprint 0x38 0xff 0x0100 1 1 1 0x801
Shout 0x2c 0xff 0x0200 1 1 1 0x840
Sneak 0x1d 0xff 0x0040 1 1 1 0x881
Run 0x2a 0xff 0xff 1 1 0 0x801
Toggle Always Run 0x3a 0xff 0xff 1 1 0 0x801
Auto-Move 0x53 0xff 0xff 1 1 0 0x801
Favorites 0x10 0xff 0x0020 1 1 0 0x908
Hotkey8 0x02,0x4f 0xff 0x1000+0x0004 0 0 0 0x908
Hotkey7 0x03,0x50 0xff 0x1000+0x0002 0 0 0 0x908
Hotkey6 0x04,0x51 0xff 0x1000+0x0008 0 0 0 0x908
Hotkey5 0x05,0x4b 0xff 0x1000+0x0001 0 0 0 0x908
Hotkey4 0x06,0x4c 0xff 0x0004 0 0 0 0x908
Hotkey3 0x07,0x4d 0xff 0x0002 0 0 0 0x908
Hotkey2 0x08,0x47 0xff 0x0008 0 0 0 0x908
Hotkey1 0x09,0x48 0xff 0x0001 0 0 0 0x908
Quicksave 0x3f 0xff 0xff 1 0 0
Quickload 0x43 0xff 0xff 1 0 0
Wait 0x14 0xff 0x1000+0x0020 1 1 0 0x808
Journal 0x24 0xff 0x0010 1 1 1 0x808
Pause 0xc5 0xff 0xff 1 1 0 0x8
Screenshot 0xb7 0xff 0xff 0 0 0
Multi-Screenshot 0x1d+0xb7,0x9d+0xb7 0xff 0xff 0 0 0
Console 0x29,0x94 0xff 0xff 0 0 0 0x10
CameraPath 0x58 0xff 0xff 0 0 0
Quick Inventory 0x17 0xff 0x2000+0x0004 1 1 0 0x908
Quick Magic 0x19 0xff 0x2000+0x0008 1 1 0 0x908
Quick Stats 0x35 0xff 0x2000+0x0001 1 1 0 0x908
Quick Map 0xcf 0xff 0x2000+0x0002 1 1 0 0x908

I suddenly started experiencing a new graphical glitch tonight. From time to time certain light sources will disappear and reappear as I move closer and further away. It doesn't happen often but when it does it is annoying. A good example is the light just above the Jarl throne in Riften. As I approach the throne a fire like light source suddenly appears. As I back away it disappears. Anyone else notice this?

Drazgul

A more proper font would go a long way in improving the UI already, get that clean shit out. That edited UI looks decent, but it should show more items at once - ditch the second row in the bottom pane for starters (keybindings and level bar are unnecessary, merge AR/burden/gold with the first row bars).

Erethian

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I have read some of that, but the files that are needed to mod are already available, people will just need to figure out some tricks to get it working properly...

Or that's what I gather from skimming/reading the first post...

The only real problem is being able to create or alter GFX files, which are used by Scaleform.

But it seems like people are figuring out ways to get around that, especially since a lot of other games have used Scaleform as well.

Edit: Also talk of source files has to do with the FLAs that the GFX files are generated from.

epmode

Drazgul said:
A more proper font would go a long way in improving the UI already, get that clean shit out.
Out of your mind. If nothing else, the UI LOOKS great. No cliched ye olde fonts or parchment character sheets or anything!

Drazgul

epmode said:
Out of your mind. If nothing else, the UI LOOKS great. No cliched ye olde fonts or parchment character sheets or anything!

Says you. But you are wrong and I am right! Or actually, it should all be in daedric for proper immersion. :p

(Being able to choose it would be nice, the default font is very clean and functional, but not all that 'fitting').

^
Daedric Arrows (10)
- Materials: Firewood, Ebony Ingot, Daedra Heart

Gtfo with those material costs.

Forkball

I got some texture mods, the detailed bodies one is pretty impressive. I don't really notice the detailed faces one, and the eyes one makes Ysolda or whatever her name is have black eyes, but otherwise it's good.

Ketch

TheExodu5 said:
Run the game in borderless windowed mode (using the "mod" on SkyrimNexus). I haven't had a crash since.

Which one did you use? I'm gonna try "Simple Borderless Window" by Liddo.

Cdammen

Is there any way of getting FXAA and frame limiter @ 30fps? Frame limiter is set by a d3d9.dll file, FXAA is also set by one.

Top Bottom