• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Pazuzu9 said:
Ah yes. I referred to this earlier - Windhelm is bloody awful for shadows. They strike those white walls at slight angle, which spreads the shadow in a horribly low-res way. As far as I can see, the only way to reduce it is to turn up the shadow res - this pretty much puts those lines closer together. But this kills performance, and it still looks crap anyway.

If someone could figure out a way of blending them out properly, it would be great.
It's not perfect but I play around with the iBlurDeferredShadowMask setting and have it at 5 or 6 to blur the shadows more. Shadows still look pants up close compared to upping the shadow map res but less distracting as you walk past.

Truant

Got my CPU up to 4ghz. Everything seems pretty stable. I can now run at ugrids7 at a pretty nice 40-60fps, with the occasional dip to 25-30 during random scenes. This game is weird at times, but now I can play it.

coopolon

Brannon said:
Wow, just discovered something...

So after normalizing my gpu, I decide to look at the CPU section of Catalyst, and saw that it was limiting my Phenom processor at half its max power.

And it has been like that for months. Since I first got my new card.

It's like a brand new machine!

Catalyst was limiting your CPU? Catalyst Control Center?

Calen said:
So what?

This isn't a comment on how new or old the engine Bethesda's using for Skyrim is, but I see stuff like this all the time. I have to wonder, why does this matter? Doesn't it depend on what the legacy code is?

Where do you draw the line? For example, math is math. There's no reason to implement a new math library if your "old" one works fine and is fast. In fact, it's very likely your old library is super optimized by now, and you'd be making things slower by starting over.

There's only so many ways to load a texture off of disk, or allocate the DirectX resources associated with the vertices of your mesh. If you rewrite shit like this you're absolutely just wasting everyone's time and a crapload of money that could be better spent genuinely improving things.

Why implement a new system for console variables if your old one works great and isn't a performance hit? I could go on and on.

Sure, if you're using 90% of the same model formats, rendering code, shaders, etc you're spewing BS if you claim something is new, but if something only qualifies as a "new engine" if you "mkdir omgnewengine" and start typing into empty text files from scratch without copying anything from your old source tree, I promise you there are NO new engines out there.

Somewhere on the continuum between starting from an empty directory and totally reusing all of your previous games' code is the point at which you would consider it a new engine. Where is that point for you?

Isn't the issue for some people that an engine described on the game's Wikipedia page (and by several news sources) as "entirely new" prior to release is behaving in a near-identical fashion to the engine it's supposedly replaced? Not just the exact same variables and console commands as before, but many of the same effects and side-effects that made Oblivion such a volatile game even before people started modding it.

I'm delighted it's reusing much of the old technology, personally, because it means I feel entirely comfortable tweaking and modding it and won't be disappointed when things start going wrong. But maybe those consumers who had stability and performance issues from the off in Oblivion or Fallout 3, when hearing of this 'new' engine designed specifically for Skyrim, imagined those problems would be resolved. Maybe they thought it would finally mean dynamic shadows that didn't feel like someone had modded them in. Maybe they thought that, on PC, the world Bethesda had designed would actually be rendered by this 'new' engine in a manner that didn't send people tweak-crazy on day one.

I suppose the issue, if there is one, is where this idea of a new engine came from. If it's just idle rumour that's been picked up by the press then it's no issue beyond the usual lack of research. If it's been put out through the PR channel by Bethesda itself, though, then I dare say, as a consumer, that it's not quite as 'new' as the hype would have us believe.

If Modern Warfare 3 had promoted itself as being built on a new engine just as Battlefield 3/Frostbite 2 came along, do you think people would have been satisfied with the tech it actually has?

Oppo

PC overlords, hear my plaintive cry!

I want to run Skyrim on a new iMac with this spec:

3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 (quad)
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

Feasible? Or will it require extensive tweaking?

I want to know it has a good chance of being worthwhile before I go forward with all the Boot Camp setup/Win7 install. (And, return my 360 copy.)

gotee12

coopolon said:
Catalyst was limiting your CPU? Catalyst Control Center?
CCC can set up some acpi style power profiles. You can throttle back the power in your machine this way, thereby slowing down your CPU.

So I've been having weird bugs lately.

1) Mainly this happens in Whiterun, but I'v seen it in a few other places. I enter a building, then exit, and upon exiting a huge Blood Dragon corpse drops from the sky. It's dead, and I can interact with it, but there's nothing there. I've also seen a dragon skeleton drop in Rorikstad, I believe.

2)Entering buildings, or opening things like prison cell doors, causes items to fly all over crazily. Sometimes I don't see the items, but in the background (like if I'm at an Inn for instance) I can hear shit being tossed around crazily.

3) I get hit with an arrow, and it stays in the spot it hit me in for an unknown amount of time. Usually when restarting the game it goes away.

Anyone have any of these issues?

Karak

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

1) Mainly this happens in Whiterun, but I'v seen it in a few other places. I enter a building, then exit, and upon exiting a huge Blood Dragon corpse drops from the sky. It's dead, and I can interact with it, but there's nothing there. I've also seen a dragon skeleton drop in Rorikstad, I believe.

2)Entering buildings, or opening things like prison cell doors, causes items to fly all over crazily. Sometimes I don't see the items, but in the background (like if I'm at an Inn for instance) I can hear shit being tossed around crazily.

3) I get hit with an arrow, and it stays in the spot it hit me in for an unknown amount of time. Usually when restarting the game it goes away.

Honestly I think a great majority do. Not everyone, but everything you listed here has been reported as a bug by a great many people.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does anyone else not recieve the reward for a quest sometimes? It's happened to me twice, once with the Amulet of Talos, and once with the journal for the guy in Thieves' Guild. Both supposedly gives me something as a reward for the quests, but nothing is added to my inventory.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Yep, fairly common.

I've had 1) repeatedly throughout just the first few quests. Three times, iirc, which is about as many times as I've fought a dragon.

I'm pretty sure the arrow thing is an old Oblivion bug. I remember it happening there on numerous occasions

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Durante said:
It must be related to something, 44 hours in and I still haven't had a crash. The closest I got were 3 instances where, after hours of play, I had to restart the game since the framerate started to drop.

I guess we can by now conclude, in retrospect, that you were indeed an anomaly with your streak. I've reverted to stock everything now and am still getting roughly 1 CTD / hour on a good day.

Salaadin

Corky said:
I guess we can by now conclude, in retrospect, that you were indeed an anomaly with your streak. I've reverted to stock everything now and am still getting roughly 1 CTD / hour on a good day.

That bad? Damn.

I have 30+ hours into the game and have seen 4 CTDs and one semi-CTD where the game seemed to act like I alt-tabbed out of it but didnt actually crash. I was able to bring it back up by clicking on it from the task bar.

One of my CTDs came maybe 10-15 minutes after I noticed a texture loading issue where some sewer walls were just purple blogs. I was going to finish a quest and then re load but the game crashed on me first. Reloaded and it was fine again.

Corky said:
I'm getting tons of crashes now that I'm 40 something hours into the game even though I pretty much had none to speak of previously.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

1. That is awesome. No need for a fix.
2. Yep, there are videos of this. Only thing I heard was that it might be the physics engine wigging out at very high fps. Then again, no one in here is complaining that their FPS is too high.
3. Yep, happens constantly. Not sure why.

Corky said:

It might be worth considering things like savegame bloat and all the other weird anomalies that seem to affect that side of Gamebryo. There were plenty of times playing both Oblivion and Fallout 3 where I'd tweak a load of settings, revert to stock and find that the crashes I'd set in motion didn't stop. Then, out of frustration, I'd start a new game from scratch and the crashes went away.

Salaadin said:
That bad? Damn.

I have 30+ hours into the game and have seen 4 CTDs and one semi-CTD where the game seemed to act like I alt-tabbed out of it but didnt actually crash. I was able to bring it back up by clicking on it from the task bar.

One of my CTDs came maybe 10-15 minutes after I noticed a texture loading issue where some sewer walls were just purple blogs. I was going to finish a quest and then re load but the game crashed on me first. Reloaded and it was fine again.

Lol reminds me of the time I spent in a largely purple dwemer ruin

Salaadin

odin toelust said:
Lol reminds me of the time is spent in a largely purple dwemer ruin

Lol, I also had an issue where all the kids in one city didnt have any faces. They were literally just 2 floating eyeballs, a floating mouth, and floating hair. Creepy

I took screenshots and every image came back as invalid.

TrounceX

Hey guys for some reason I can't enter the town of Riften. It goes into an indefinite loading screen.

Any advice, suggestions, things I should try first etc?

Please it's really important I get in there because my character is a thief build. Sorry if this isn't the right thread.

edit: Tried verifying the integrity of the game cache and it found 3 missing files. Taking a while to download too. Hoping that was the problem.

441-1-1321527184.jpg

Ooooo yea.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=441

Kyaw

More FXAA settings dump:

This one is a little warmer but subtle. No sharpen bullshit, just colour changes.

Code:
/*======================================================================================
                             "USER" ADJUSTABLE SETTINGS
======================================================================================*/

// TODO: Normalize values to be on a human range scale, whole numbers prefered, decimals usable for micro adjustments
// These values should have min/max limit checks included in their functions, so that the end user doesn't get crazy results

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
						FILTER SELECTION
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
// Comment to deactivate an effect. 
// Example: To disable the tonemap effect, use // in front of #define USE_TONEMAP
#define USE_ANTI_ALIASING
//#define USE_PRE_SHARPEN
#define USE_BLOOM
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR
#define USE_TONEMAP
//#define USE_SEPIA
//#define USE_VIGNETTE
//#define USE_POST_SHARPEN
//#define USE_FINAL_LIMITER

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
						FXAA SHADER
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
// Set values to calculate the amount of Anti Aliasing applied
float fxaaQualitySubpix = 0;  // Default: 0.75 Raise to increase amount of blur
float fxaaQualityEdgeThreshold = 0; // Lower the value for more smoothing
float fxaaQualityEdgeThresholdMin = 0; // Lower the value for more smoothing

PRE_SHARPEN
//For higher precision in the calculation of contour, requires slightly more processing power
bool highQualitySharpen = 0; //0 = Disable  | 1 = Enable

// Set values to calculate the amount of  AA produced blur to consider for the sharpening pass
#define Average 0.8
#define CoefBlur 2

// Set values of the sharpening amount
#define SharpenEdge 0.2
#define Sharpen_val0 1.4

BLOOM
// Number of samples per pixel taken for the Bloom effect. Don't set it to high!  4 = 25spp, 8 = 81spp, 16 = 289spp
#define NUM_SAMPLES2 4 // Must be set with a value dividable by 2
float BloomPreset = 5; // Disabled = 0 (Valid Preset Values = 1 to 9) Preset value 1 to 9 takes control over the next 3 settings.
float BloomThreshold = 1; // The min. level at which the effect starts (Valid Values = 1 to 9, use decimals for finetuning)
float BloomWidth = 1; // Sets the width of the effect (Valid Values = 1 to 9, use decimals for finetuning)
float BloomPower = 1; // The power of the effect (Valid Values = 1 to 9, use decimals for finetuning)

TECHNICOLOR
#define TechniAmount 0.40 // 1.00 = Max
#define TechniPower 4.5 // lower values = whitening

// lower values = stronger channel
#define redNegativeAmount 1.0 // 1.00 = Max
#define greenNegativeAmount 1.0 // 1.00 = Max
#define blueNegativeAmount 1.0 // 1.00 = Max

TONEMAP
#define Gamma 1.00
#define Exposure 0.0
#define Saturation 1.50 // use negative values for less saturation. 
#define BlueShift 0.00 // Higher = more blue in image.
#define Bleach 0.00 // Bleach bypass, higher = stronger effect
#define Defog 0.000 // Strength of Lens Colors.
#define FogColor float4(0.05, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0) //Lens-style color filters for Blue, Red, Yellow, White.

SEPIA
#define Earthyellow // Color Tone, available tones can be seen in ColorTones.PNG (Do not use spaces in the name!)
#define SepiaPower 0.5 // 1.00 = Max

VIGNETTE
// Vignette effect, process by which there is loss in clarity towards the corners and sides of the image, like a picture frame
#define VignetteCenter float2(0.500, 0.500) // Center of screen for effect.
#define VignetteRadius 1.00 // lower values = stronger radial effect from center
#define VignetteAmount -0.70 // Strength of black. -2.00 = Max Black, 1.00 = Max White.

POST_SHARPEN
// Controls additional sharpening applied after previous processing. Strength should be max 0.25!
float Sharpen = 0.05;

FINAL_LIMITER
// Controls the strenght of the limiter. 1.000 for default setting
int LimiterStrenght = 1.000;

Durante

Corky said:
Erm, how can we conclude that? Did you do a statistical analysis of the Skyrim PC playerbase since the last time we talked about the issue?

Anyway, for one thing, I never touched the ugrid variable since that gave me no end of trouble in every Bethsoft game where I tried it.

Game's running like crap on my machine, to the point of being nearly unplayable, despite my having specs that well clear the recommended system requirements (2GB quad core processor, 8 GB ram, 2 GB graphics card). Biggest annoyance is a noticeable lag between moving my mouse and the field of vision shifting (yes, I've fiddled with mouse sensitivity to no avail). I'm up to date on drivers. Anyone know what I can do to boost performance?

Karak

Amibguous Cad said:
Game's running like crap on my machine, to the point of being nearly unplayable, despite my having specs that well clear the recommended system requirements (2GB quad core processor, 8 GB ram, 2 GB graphics card). Biggest annoyance is a noticeable lag between moving my mouse and the field of vision shifting (yes, I've fiddled with mouse sensitivity to no avail). I'm up to date on drivers. Anyone know what I can do to boost performance?
For the lag, no.
Use a 360 controller sadly. That works wonders.

Durante

Amibguous Cad said:
Biggest annoyance is a noticeable lag between moving my mouse and the field of vision shifting (yes, I've fiddled with mouse sensitivity to no avail). I'm up to date on drivers. Anyone know what I can do to boost performance?
iPresentInterval=0
bMouseAcceleration=0

(see OP for where to put it)

Karak said:
For the lag, no.
The above settings completely eliminate mouse lag. Playing with a controller "helps" input lag by being such a bad input device that you don't notice lag as much :p

Sorry if it's already been answered but:

Does this iteration of Gamebryo stutter still have the infamous stutter found in PC versions of Oblivion and both Fallouts?

It's was basically baked into the engine and it eventually took the community to develop the scripting engine/script to fix it.

I really need to know as if it is, i won't even bother...

rumsey

Corky said:

I'm at about 42hrs and I haven't had a single CTD either. At around 20hrs I started tweaking and made the following changes: Large Address Aware, Memory tweaks to ini, Improved look/performance shadows (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=283).

No crashes before or after the changes, I could also be an anomaly but 2 of my friends who are playing haven't had a crash yet either. (20-30hrs)

Karak said:
Use a 360 controller sadly. That works wonders.

Speak for yourself, I use a 360 controller happily.

Prelithe

Weird. I found that reverting back to original INI made it more stable. Specifically, the ENB tweaks seemed to crash my game regularly while entering/leaving areas.

Durante

rumsey said:
No crashes before or after the changes, I could also be an anomaly but 2 of my friends who are playing haven't had a crash yet either. (20-30hrs)
I also know 2 people at work who haven't had any problems with the game, and both are on worse systems than the majority of people in this thread. Not trying to counter anecdotal evidence with anecdotal evidence, just pointing out that you really can't make conclusions about most players from looking at tech threads on forums.

TheExodu5

Banned
Corky said:
Run the game in borderless windowed mode (using the "mod" on SkyrimNexus). I haven't had a crash since.

rumsey

Durante said:
I also know 2 people at work who haven't had any problems with the game, and both are on worse systems than the majority of people in this thread. Not trying to counter anecdotal evidence with anecdotal evidence, just pointing out that you really can't make conclusions about most players from looking at tech threads on forums.

I wasn't trying to counter anyone's point, its just that everyone that is getting CTDs is reporting them and everyone who isn't doesn't bother, it can paint a skewed picture of how common the problem really is, so I thought I'd throw in a few accounts of the "no problem" camp.

Also, I am playing on older hardware than a lot of people in this thread as well (core 2 duo), the other 2 friends are using i7 machines with current gen GPUs.

TheExodu5 said:
Run the game in borderless windowed mode (using the "mod" on SkyrimNexus). I haven't had a crash since.

I can also weigh in on this mod and say it reduced my fps by 10-15, and likewise for my friends. Not necessarily the mod itself, but running in windowed mode in general reduces fps by 10-15 so if you have a slightly older system, keep that in mind and do you own testing with fraps/dxtory. (Aero is disabled)

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Happened to me in Whiterun: http://i.imgur.com/KJFhZ.jpg
As you can see from the picture, I got the soul from it as well.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Yep, fairly common.

Ah ok, I wasn't sure. That's somewhat refreshing then. Hopefully it will all be fixed with a patch. Most of it is non-threatening, but the dragon thing is somewhat irritating haha...

PortTwo said:
PC overlords, hear my plaintive cry!

I want to run Skyrim on a new iMac with this spec:

3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 (quad)
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

Feasible? Or will it require extensive tweaking?

I want to know it has a good chance of being worthwhile before I go forward with all the Boot Camp setup/Win7 install. (And, return my 360 copy.)

I would definitely go the iMac, you could probably get high settings and lock it down to 30fps @1080p with that machine, which will be far better than the 360 version which probably equates to low settings (I tested low and it looks terrible).

I have the same machine but with the 3.4 ghz i7, if you want to overclock your GPU safely once you get bootcamp set up let me know, you will get better performance out of it.

neoism

40 hours

0 crashes

Machine is a
i5 2.7
8GB ram
R5870

I only have one or two mods, and both files are tweaked.... loving it.I did get the DVD version and installed it that way so could be the reason for no crashes. I'm lucky with this engine though. I have only like 4 crashes on New Vegas, an I had probably 40 mods at the end of it. I have also 450 saves in Skyrim... :p If it does crash loosing 5 minutes or less is no bigggy

Corky

Durante said:
Erm, how can we conclude that? Did you do a statistical analysis of the Skyrim PC playerbase since the last time we talked about the issue?

Anyway, for one thing, I never touched the ugrid variable since that gave me no end of trouble in every Bethsoft game where I tried it.

Sheesh, I have no idea why you're so adamant on defending the technical polish of the game game. I think it's broken, there are tons of people here saying they got issues, as do people across any forum you can imagine.

I think it's unstable, and a messy pc port, you're one of the handful of people I've explicitly heard say they've had 0 crashes,if you want to do your sodding statistical analysis then by all fucking means go ahead and do it but stop acting like the game is bastion of programming with regards to stability.

mik83kuu

Banned
I sais this somewhere earlier, but if you get arrows stuck on your character try selling or dropping all arrows on you. Basically arrows shot at you can end up in your inventory.

Also I suppose most of the FXAA and texture mods are done by people with cheap uncalibrated TN panels and terrible eye sight. Been like that for most other games as well, like Crysis 2 recently.

inner-G

Banned
I'm about 11 hrs. in and have had 0 crashes.

Athlon 64 x2 5400+
4GB Ram
9800gt 1GB

Runs decent framerate @ 1680 x 1050 on high settings, 2xAA 8xAF from the drop-down in-game settings.

Durante said:
iPresentInterval=0
bMouseAcceleration=0

(see OP for where to put it)

The above settings completely eliminate mouse lag. Playing with a controller "helps" input lag by being such a bad input device that you don't notice lag as much :p

aaaah, this helps tremendously. Thanks for the help!

Still running significantly worse than it probably should, though. Recommended settings for my setup are on medium (laptop here with a GTX 555M, i7 quad core 2 GB and 8 GB of ram), but it runs at probably sub 20 fps, and the mouse lag comes back when I put it on there. It's running okay on low, but it doesn't look very good. Anyone know of any fixes?

Durante

Corky said:
Sheesh, I have no idea why you're so adamant on defending the technical polish of the game game. I think it's broken, there are tons of people here saying they got issues, as do people across any forum you can imagine.
I'm trying to keep up the level of discourse, not being adamant about technical polish. You started the discussion up again by trying to present some conclusion despite none having been reached, and no new information being obtained.

Corky said:
I think it's unstable, and a messy pc port, you're one of the handful of people I've explicitly heard say they've had 0 crashes,if you want to do your sodding statistical analysis then by all fucking means go ahead and do it but stop acting like the game is bastion of programming with regards to stability.
I never, ever acted like that. I simply call out all gross exaggerations and technical inaccuracies when I see them, and try to remind people about the selection bias inherent in a thread like this.

Amibguous Cad said:
aaaah, this helps tremendously. Thanks for the help!
No problem, I also think the mouse controls are unusable without those tweaks.

Amibguous Cad said:
Still running significantly worse than it probably should, though. Recommended settings for my setup are on medium (laptop here with a GTX 555M, i7 quad core 2 GB and 8 GB of ram), but it runs at probably sub 20 fps, and the mouse lag comes back when I put it on there. It's running okay on low, but it doesn't look very good. Anyone know of any fixes?
What's the clock speed of your CPU? Since it's a laptop it may be letting you down in terms of sequential performance.

TheExodu5

Banned
rumsey said:
I can also weigh in on this mod and say it reduced my fps by 10-15, and likewise for my friends. Not necessarily the mod itself, but running in windowed mode in general reduces fps by 10-15 so if you have a slightly older system, keep that in mind and do you own testing with fraps/dxtory. (Aero is disabled)

That's true, if you're GPU limited. I'm running with Aero and there has been no appreciable difference in framerate, but I'm mostly CPU limited in the game anyways. (running at High, 1080p, with a GTX 570 and 2500k @ 4.6GHz)

Corky

Durante said:
I'm trying to keep up the level of discourse, not being adamant about technical polish. You started the discussion up again by trying to present some conclusion despite none having been reached, and no new information being obtained.

Well you'll have to forgive, because I had no idea that there was an actual discussion to be had with regards to the technical prowess/stability of the game.

I never, ever acted like that. I simply call out all gross exaggerations and technical inaccuracies when I see them, and try to remind people about the selection bias inherent in a thread like this.

Mate, their trackrecord ain't amazing. Bethesdas games have their share of bugs and issues, I wont concede that too many people have technical issues with the game regardless of percentage. If you want to bring up selection bias, vocal minority or anything of the sort then by all means go ahead, but just don't tell me that the game doesn't have more issues than your average anticipated multimillion dollar budget pc-title.

Top Bottom