• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Jubbly

Zeliard said:
Anyone been messing around with ENBSeries for this?

Yes, I have version 2 on file that he claims fixes the shadow banding and improves shadow quality that is evident in my standard test shot showing most of the things that can tweaked in one scene (http://www.abload.de/img/tesv2011-11-1615-14-1mmcf7.png).

Ran it with my tweaked config = no change, no banding fixes
Ran it with the stock config = a slight improvement but nowhere near as good as the tweaked one (the stock config doesn't feature banding on my machine so I cannot say if the supposed fix does or does not work)

I would like him to expose his code and explain exactly what he is doing because so far it feels like all he's really doing is tweaking the same values through a different avenue.

spk

moop1167 said:
I just downloaded this and put it in my Skyrim folder... but nothing changed. Do I have to have the other FXAA injector mod installed for this to work?
They're the same thing just different configurations

moop1167

Yeah this new FXAA injector is way too dark, mainly at night. Is there a way to fix that? Otherwise it looks pretty good, color wise.

spk

BoobPhysics101 said:
Black crush MA SOUL!

Zing.
This is the same scene without that texture mod

tesv2011-11-1616-28-1xv86k.jpg

spk

Eh that mod I posted makes things too dark. I like the overall difference except for the brightness.

Yet another FXAA variation
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=191
Looking for some good looking settings for the FXAA PPI tool but don't like the broken UI text and over-sharpening? Tired of the over saturation and cartoon colours? These settings are for you. They deliver a realistic, colder Skyrim. It gives the game more atmosphere, more muted, but pleasant colour palette and greatly improves the look of stock Skyrim lighting/shadows with little to no FPS drop.

The intent of these settings is to add to Skyrim's existing feel of a cold, bleek and harsh environment. Not to modify it to be something else. The subtle tonal changes, the difference in saturation and contrast add to Skyrim's atmosphere creating a more realistic, and pretty look for the game.

This has been tested in all lighting and weather conditions, inside and out. It offers a great balance across all situations and really improves the look and feel of your world.

You can turn the effect on/off so it's really easy to see if you like it or not - very quick and easy remove to if it's not for you.

vvv Yeah I don't think it's enabled, unless it's at a very very low setting

spk said:
Eh that mod I posted makes things too dark. I like the overall difference except for the brightness.

Yet another FXAA variation
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=191

I tried it, performance went down a bit, and the blacks are definitely heavy. I tried the different configs too. I'm not sure if FXAA is enabled in them? It sure looks like it in the menus...fonts aren't as crisp, etc...I do like the saturation, but the sharpness is iffy at times.

Jubbly

Every time someone enables FXAA in an engine lacking deferred rendering a kitten kills itself. I haven't tried one of these injectors, but I presume you have to accept the same IQ compromises as when enabling FXAA via the launcher?

(FXAA is, however, glorious in the DF'd Batman: Arkham City PC)

irriadin

Not sure how I feel about the FXAA injector... the colors appear to be more aesthetically pleasing, but there are definitely some issues with black crush, as others have mentioned. That and I feel like I'm messing with Bethesda's artistic vision...

First pic has all parts of the filter enabled, second has only AA, Pre-Sharpen and Tonemap.

spk

irriadin said:
Not sure how I feel about the FXAA injector... the colors appear to be more aesthetically pleasing, but there are definitely some issues with black crush, as others have mentioned. That and I feel like I'm messing with Bethesda's artistic vision...

First pic has all parts of the filter enabled, second has only AA, Pre-Sharpen and Tonemap.
Which FXAA injector? There are a few of them, each with different settings.

Jubbly

irriadin said:

Do not want. Completely washes out the ground-level shadows on the middle clump of trees.

irriadin

Jubbly said:
Do not want. Completely washes out the ground-level shadows on the middle clump of trees.

Yea, I agree. I uninstalled it (it was this one, in case anyone's curious). The effects were a little too strong, but it does come with several different installation options, and I'm pretty sure I opted for the high contrast one. I might try one of the less strong options and see what it looks like, but I'm not optimistic.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
rumsey said:
Shameless bump since I've been covered by 20 posts of some guys texture pack.

This is what I have at the end of the [Display] section in my Skyrim.ini (in .../My Games/Skyrim/):

Code:
fDefault1stPersonFOV=90.0000
fDefaultWorldFOV=90.0000
fDefaultFOV=90.0000

I also had the FOV resetting issue before (I originally only knew about the fDefaultFOV value, which I was told to put under [General]), but this seems to be working so far! Could the problem possibly be that two of your values are given as integers, or that they come in a different order? I don't know, but what I have seems to work.

Jubbly

irriadin said:
Yea, I agree. I uninstalled it (it was this one, in case anyone's curious). The effects were a little too strong, but it does come with several different installation options, and I'm pretty sure I opted for the high contrast one. I might try one of the less strong options and see what it looks like, but I'm not optimistic.

I like the ingenuity of hijacking a shader-based anti-aliasing method in an attempt to enhance fidelity, but the unfixable problem here is that Gamebryo/Creation Engine is not using deferred rendering and as such FXAA will always suck (it's better than no AA at all, but far worse than MSAA in this instance, which is why Bethesda only enables it on Medium).

Furthermore, the engine's artwork and ranges really weren't designed for this kind of extreme modification so there will almost always be problems of one kind or another. For example, one can't just slap a load of colours onto the screen and call it Tone Mapping, like they're doing here. For a brief bit of actual Tone Mapping, and an example, check this out: http://www.mycrysis.com/sites/default/files/support/download/c2_dx11_ultra_upgrade.

I'd like to be proven wrong, and for a lot of people these will injectors will be fantastic, and that's great. That's the ultimate goal of course, but for people like me who run silly systems loaded with three GTX 580s we really don't want to compromise IQ.

For me, the best result would be high quality versions of the existing textures from Bethesda, which undoubtedly exist, though it would require Bethesda to swallow their pride and admit they were silly proclaiming that the "game's just that optimised!" In the perfect world there'd be a fix to make 8000 distance textures as sharp as 1000 distance textures also (not perfect, soft shadows should be standard in all games by now), but I'm doubtful that would happen as it appears to be a limitation of the engine.

leadbelly

Banned
irriadin said:

I don't know. I think I prefer the normal lighting to be honest.

B97648670C1842E0ADEB14A87851A9F0FFAB2143

MrBig

Loving the added saturation, but had to turn off FXAA. Brought me from 40~60 to 30~40 with common dips into the 20s with all the PP effects on.

Tenck

Didn't find this in the OP.

Does anyone have a save file that lets me get to the character creation quickly? I'd also like some help on where to put my save files.

Izayoi

Banned
Max said:
Does anyone else have obnoxious flickering when inside caves or dungeons that have water?
Get the frame limiter. I'm willing to bet you're getting framerates that exceed 120. When you do get the frame limiter, I recommend setting it to 100 at the highest.

As much as I dislike Gamebryo, I have to wonder whether Bethesda's next Fallout/TES games on a new engine will bother including extensive modding tools, given their apparent anti-PC stance.

As far as my experience with the mouse, I gave up trying to run with vsync off. Better to deal with input lag than the ridiculous variable Y axis issue. Frame limiter didn't seem to help.

MrBig

mjemirzian said:
As much as I dislike Gamebryo, I have to wonder whether Bethesda's next Fallout/TES games on a new engine will bother including extensive modding tools, given their apparent anti-PC stance.
Where is this comment coming from? PC modding is a huge part of TES games, Bethesda is even actively trying to find a way to allow mods to be available on consoles

aeiko

Banned
so what are the best mods for graphically enhancing the game while not killing the framerate by half? i feel like most of the tweaks in here make no real diff to be honest.. judging from the before and after shots.

Saige

I must do better.
So what kind of performance should I be getting with my setup?

6950 flashed to a 6970
Q6600 @ 3.0GHz
4GB ram
Running at 1920x1200

The game defaulted to the high pre-set and I seem to be getting around mid 40’s fps in outside areas.

So I made the exe large address aware. But now its performing worse? Getting 10 fps worse on average, that's not normal is it?

I've also been playing with some settings cause I was getting much better frame rates before. Like 60 - 100. Now I'm at 30 fps on average and I can't figure out why - even after switching back to the default ini files

Aaron

mjemirzian said:
Huh? This is a new engine, at least as far as Unreal 3 can be new while still being heavily based on Unreal 2. The game runs far better on the PC than anywhere else, and the thing the developers are focusing on right now, instead of making DLC, is getting the mod tools out to the community. Their games have a very long tail on the PC thanks to mods, and they're not going to abandon that, especially when their DLC continues to sell better and better despite the mods being out there.

Jubbly

Aaron said:
Huh? This is a new engine, at least as far as Unreal 3 can be new while still being heavily based on Unreal 2. The game runs far better on the PC than anywhere else, and the thing the developers are focusing on right now, instead of making DLC, is getting the mod tools out to the community. Their games have a very long tail on the PC thanks to mods, and they're not going to abandon that, especially when their DLC continues to sell better and better despite the mods being out there.

Unreal Engine 2 to 3 is a massive leap. Gamebryo to Creation Engine is a baby step.

Jubbly

I finally caved and had a play with uGrids using BoobPhysics' calculation guide: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32733748&postcount=3024

Comparison is zoomed 300% (full-screen, non-zoomed version here: http://www.abload.de/img/tesvugridcomparisonq87mb.gif), default uGrids setting is 5:

tesvugridcomparisonzovz77t.gif

Results:

• I finally eliminated most of the shitty distance trees in my test area using uGrids=7.
  • Performance decreased by 5-10 frames per second in multiple test locations using uGrids=7, and only 4-6 in the displayed area.
  • uGrids=9 eliminated the remaining LOD3, zero-detail trees.
  • Performance decreased by only ~9 frames per second in my test area compared to uGrids=5 due to there being only a few extra visible trees compared to uGrids=7, but in areas overlooking huge forests my frame rate dropped by about 20. This performance decrease may have been lower had I disabled other changes I've made to increase the draw distance of trees, effect and particle LOD, etcetera.
  • Regardless, uGrids=9 crashed after about 30 minutes of running around and entering/exiting interiors. uGrids=7 did not crash in the hour I tried it for.
  • Furthermore, I encountered several performance nosedives in some of the more demanding locations as my hard drive thrashed to load data. Again, this was not experienced with uGrids=7.
  • The uGrids=9 crashing may be mitigated by Large Address Aware, though in my basic observations of system RAM usage during the test Skyrim never came close to hitting 2 or 3GB.
  • uGrids=9 performance nosedives would likely be mitigated by using a SSD.

Given the above I will keep using uGrids=7 for the time being to up fidelity without compromising performance or stability.

Once again, this is my system for reference:

3-Way GTX 580 SLI, 1.5GB VRAM
i7-2600K @ 4.4GHz
8GB RAM
Western Digital Black WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 C:\ HDD

EDIT: Want to revert to the default setting for whatever reason without losing all your game progress?

If you set a value of 7 (or whatever value) and save the game, that save won’t work if you set the value back down to 5. There is a way of recovering it, though:

1) Load game with uGridsToLoad at the ‘safe’ setting – the one it was at when you saved.
2) Load the save, which should load correctly.
3) Open the console and type the following:

setini “ugridstoload:general” 5
saveini
refreshini

This has restored the uGridsToLoad setting to its default while your save is already open.

4) Save the game. The save you create now will work at any uGrids setting from the default up.

Courtesy of http://deadendthrills.com/2011/11/madness-in-the-method/

If anyone's gotten the
Nightingale Armor
fron the Thieves Guild questline yet and you have a male character, I made a mod on the Skyrim Nexus that makes the gloves/boots/hood actually match the rest of the damn armor. Still trying to figure out what makes the fingers have way darker skin when you wear the gloves, it happens on the default version too and I can't seem to crack it.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=379 - Minor spoilers if you haven't completed or at least gotten far in the Thieves Guild quest.

Truant

Ok, PC master race, don't hate me, but I need a step by step guide to OC my CPU. Yes, I've read guides, but that's very "general approach". I need to know EXACTLY what to press/add/tweak on my PC.

MB: Asus P6T Deluxe V2, X58, Socket-1366
CPU: Intel Core i7 Quad Processor i7-920
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-C12P

sh4mike said:
360 gamepad hotkey mod -- adds 8 hotkeys to the d-pad similar to Oblivion. I've tested and it works great.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=332

Now if there was just a way to:
1) assign left/right-hand in the hotkey selection
2) apply multiple items to the same hotkey (e.g. one hotkey swaps weapon, spell, and armor)

Holy shite, this is what I've been waiting for. Can't wait to test it out. How do you access the favourites menu though?

Drazgul

Truant said:
I need to know EXACTLY what to press/add/tweak on my PC.

No one can tell you that because each chip is unique. Check some OC videos on youtube, it's really just a matter of incrementally increasing the proper values, testing for stability and then doing it over and over until you find the sweet spot.

Enkidu

EschatonDX said:
I just wish the injector was a little less saturated.

Definitely looks like witcher 2 homage to me
You can change all of the saturation settings yourself, it's quite easy and you don't have to restart the game for them to take effect either, just alt-tab out and change the settings. Personally I really like the way it can look, as you said, it reminds me of the Witcher 2 which might be why I like it. But the saturation definitely can't be cranked all the way up or it looks too weird.

botlite

Truant said:
Ok, PC master race, don't hate me, but I need a step by step guide to OC my CPU. Yes, I've read guides, but that's very "general approach". I need to know EXACTLY what to press/add/tweak on my PC.

MB: Asus P6T Deluxe V2, X58, Socket-1366
CPU: Intel Core i7 Quad Processor i7-920
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-C12P

I found this link in the I Need a New PC thread. That's probably a better place to get help on here for overclocking too.

sh4mike said:
360 gamepad hotkey mod -- adds 8 hotkeys to the d-pad similar to Oblivion. I've tested and it works great.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=332

Now if there was just a way to:
1) assign left/right-hand in the hotkey selection
2) apply multiple items to the same hotkey (e.g. one hotkey swaps weapon, spell, and armor)

Just tested it myself and it works really well. So stoked with this, now I can really take advantage of my mage skills ;)

This completely changes the way the game is played now, can this be added to the OP. Remember to download EXPANDED 360 HOTKEYS NO B as the initial one is wrong.

Top Bottom